What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jamaal Williams, NO (2 Viewers)

Despite my objections on talent level, he has a nice floor because he can catch the football. Dominant? I wouldn’t say that, I would say lucky. He had 100 yds against TB, he’s had below 3.5 ypc all other starts, one of his catches against Cleveland was asinine why he was open, same with his long run against Pitt. All that being said, you don’t bench volume whores but I do expect the TD regression to happen this week or next and then you’re relying on him catching 4 to 5 balls to make up for his mediocre rushing stats.

Not sure why people think Rodgers is going to come back just slinging it.

With them finding success in the run game...I don't see them stopping that, and that can only help ease Rodgers back in a little bit.

Tough matchup...but still, run the ball to open things up and make it easier on Rodgers.

Always gratifying to see people struggling with the same lineup decisions you are. 

My first instinct was lousy matchup, and Rodgers coming back, meant different situation for Williams. But IMO the value of a GB RB, when they have Rodgers, and assuming there is a real RB1 like Williams and Montgomery before him, is that the offense is going to generate scoring and receiving opportunities. I have what IMO are very good RB/flex options but I still like Williams. And reality is you have to treat him like he's been playing which is as a FF RB1 you don't bench.

Always gratifying to see people struggling with the same lineup decisions you are. 

My first instinct was lousy matchup, and Rodgers coming back, meant different situation for Williams. But IMO the value of a GB RB, when they have Rodgers, and assuming there is a real RB1 like Williams and Montgomery before him, is that the offense is going to generate scoring and receiving opportunities. I have what IMO are very good RB/flex options but I still like Williams. And reality is you have to treat him like he's been playing which is as a FF RB1 you don't bench.
Agreed. I get (and share) some of the concerns about the match-up, and the impact of Rodgers' return, but I think what it comes down to is if one of the hottest RBs in the league is getting an All-Pro QB back under center, you have to keep riding him. It may blow up in your face, but from a process standpoint it is absolutely the right decision.

Right now he's in over Alex Collins, but there's a decent chance this changes. Love William's production but tough matchup and some unknowns with Rodgers back...

I have him in over Christian McCaffrey, for what it's worth.  I'm excited to see what Williams does this week as the 1st stringer to start, with some experience under his belt, with a healthy Aaron Rodgers while being healthy himself.  If Williams is going to be a #1 caliber RB come next draft season, this is going to be the game that cements his status as such.  If he goes off here, gets 20 carries, gets 4 yards a carry, hauls in 3 or 4 passes for another 25/30 yards and punches one touch into the end zone, then Williams owners in dynasty leagues will have reason to be really excited.  I'm getting there.  I also have Aaron Jones, which naturally is an important handcuff for Williams in a dynasty league.  Then, besides McCaffrey, I have Mark Ingram, Jr. and David Johnson.  Having Williams go off will give me options going forward, as I can dangle the Williams/Jones combo, Ingram, and McCaffrey, and take whichever offer suits me best (I need a receiver or two, and am always happy to get picks).

I'm getting redundant here, perhaps, but I'm very excited, and what Williams has done in recent games leads me to believe that he might be a great compliment to Rodgers, and a force going forward.  His pass block, pass catching, and ability to consistently get 3 yards are elements that lead me to believe that he can develop into what many of us envisioned for Eddie Lacy after his impressive rookie campaign.  And I don't foresee any weight or conditioning issues for Williams.  His frame looks nice out there.

Alright, I'm going to go listen to Eminem's new CD, watch the new Star Wars movie, and try to stop obsessing over Williams until Sunday afternoon.

For one, it's not a PPR.  But besides that, because Williams has easily outscored him over the last three weeks.  How can you be so surprised?  I think a good case can be made for either, but I don't think it's so absurd for me to opt to go with Williams.

Have you ever seen him not embarrass himself on a pass protection? 
Yes, last week.

H got run over once today by Thomas Davis and it resulted inRodgers stepping up and making a play.

Im more concerned with our RT than our RBs picking up blitzes 

Last edited by a moderator:
So now the defense of Williams being a bad lead back is Jones being bad at pass blocking? Ok. 

Williams had less running yards on the season than Jones PRIOR to today’s game. Despite four games of “dominance”. I.E. A touchdown rate higher than the mean. Guy has only had above 3.5 ypc once on the season when carrying the ball more than 5 times. He’s a jag. A jag that can catch but a jag none the less. Even if Jones can’t be the lead back next year, no way would I bet on Williams being the lead back.

So who is the RB to own on this team?

Williams?

Jones?

Montgomery?

RB not on the team? (hard to believe they invested so much then go back to the well so quickly)

To be determined?

RBBC? (also doubtful since some dude posted a stat that shows GB is averse to RBBC)

Williams?

Jones?

Montgomery?

RB not on the team? (hard to believe they invested so much then go back to the well so quickly)

To be determined?

RBBC? (also doubtful since some dude posted a stat that shows GB is averse to RBBC)
RBBC. Montgomery, Jones and Williams. Not necessarily in that order. They have too many holes on D to draft another RB and all have shown enough this year for them to feel comfortable in what they have.

Looks like back to trashing Williams again, until his next good game. 
Care to justify his consistent 3.4 and below ypc? Or him having less rushing yards than Jones on the year even though the guy has had 7 carries the last three weeks? Or you just going to say “good game” because he catches 5 balls and manages a couple lucky TD’s?

Well, the green bay RBs are useless unless they sit Rodgers.
Would have scoffed at this 48 hours ago, but then, this is a year where I'm deciding between Bortles and Foles as the QB who can bring me home a championship.

I have Collins, DeMarco and Kerwyn Williams, and can't see starting Jamaal over any of them.

Williams?

Jones?

Montgomery?

To be determined?

This is a really good question. What does the collective wisdom of the Pool think about Williams' dynasty value? Is he just a guy, who had a few good games but is stuck in a RBBC, or does he have good chance for a few years of lead back value?

This is a really good question. What does the collective wisdom of the Pool think about Williams' dynasty value? Is he just a guy, who had a few good games but is stuck in a RBBC, or does he have good chance for a few years of lead back value?
He's a really hard guy to gauge. I think I posted in another thread that he's got about a 50% chance, IMO, to remain the lead back next year. With GB changing GMs, I think those odds dip just a little bit. It's possible the new GM wants to bring in one of the many impressive rookies. But logically, the position is currently pretty deep and really inexpensive, so I still think GB addresses other needs in the draft.

I recall seeing a January dynasty mock ADP where he was somehow below Aaron Jones. I'm guessing this has to do with Jamaal's low ypc. Given his situation last year, I don't think we can ding him too badly on that aspect. I mean, he broke 7 tackles in the Chicago game and still only managed 20 for 67. When you're breaking that many tackles and still averaging less than 4 ypc, then you're getting hit at or behind the LoS and facing too many men in the box to break any long runs. Given that this offense runs through Rodgers, I think JW is a perfect fit. He is an excellent pass protector and he can grind out the tough yards. The main question about him coming out of college was his ability to catch passes since BYU didn't use him in that phase of the game, but he put those questions to rest as a rookie, amassing 25/262/2 with only 7 starts. So while he's no game breaker/offensive centerpiece like Jamaal Charles in his prime, I think he's a great building block.

Where he's priced right now, it seems he's either going to be a really cheap high end RB2 or a really expensive handcuff. 

One might ask, why are you not higher on Jones? Well, Jones was 3rd on the depth chart to start the season and he stayed there until Montgomery and Williams got hurt in the same game. Shined briefly, but got injured twice. He's more athletic than Williams, but he's not THAT athletic (50th percentile on SPARQ). He might learn to be a better pass protector, but the safe route to go is to wait until you see it to believe it. Until he does, that will be a knock on him, especially after a lost season for the Packers due to a Rodgers injury. Additionally, I know Jones has a higher BMI than Williams but if you watch them play, there's no doubt that Jones (5'9" 208) plays a lot smaller than Williams (6' 212). The one thing everyone expected him to excel at - pass catching - he did very little of (9/22/0). The cherry on top is that he got arrested last year. So while he's got some potential, my guess is that he's behind Williams to start the season barring an unforeseen injury. Williams carried the running game once he got his chance and finished strong while Jones was injured and getting arrested. That's just too much to overcome for a 5th round compensatory pick. 

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/18/packers-rookie-review-rb-jamaal-williams/

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2018/1/30/16951128/packers-2017-acquisitions-aaron-jones-jamaal-williams-devante-mays-nfl

Love what this does for Williams' value.  He will definitely share the backfield with Jones, but should see a decent share and headed into camp I believe he will be viewed as the 1A.  Whether he keeps that status into the season is another question - but his value should see a nice rise leading up to the season.  Should become a valuable commodity.

What's the value of Jamaal Williams today in PPR? Guy wants my 1.13 pick for him + his 2019 2nd (I also have the 1.14) However, developmental draft league so the 1.13 is not actually the 1.13. I tried to get Alex Collins off him for the 1.13 before, but no dice. Would this be an overpay on Williams? Below are the rookies already spoken for that I would not have a shot at drafting.

J. Allen, R. Jones, Barkley, Chubb, Guice, Rosen, R. Freeman, Kirk, L. Jackson, Darnold, Sutton, Ridley & Rudolph

What's the value of Jamaal Williams today in PPR? Guy wants my 1.13 pick for him (I also have the 1.14) However, developmental draft league so the 1.13 is not actually the 1.13. I tried to get Alex Collins off him for the 1.13 before, but no dice. Would this be an overpay on Williams? Below are the rookies already spoken for that I would not have a shot at drafting.

J. Allen, R. Jones, Barkley, Chubb, Guice, Rosen, R. Freeman, Kirk, L. Jackson, Darnold, Sutton, Ridley & Rudolph
Developmental draft = Devy league? 

That picks looks closer to a late 2nd/3rd unless devy are included in the pool. I'd happily pay that for Jamaal. 

What did you Williams owners see from him last year that has you believing he will be the 1A in the Packers backfield?

I had no piece of the GB RB's last year but from what I saw, Jones seemed to be the superior RB and the one to own going into this season. Maybe I'm off here....

What did you Williams owners see from him last year that has you believing he will be the 1A in the Packers backfield?

I had no piece of the GB RB's last year but from what I saw, Jones seemed to be the superior RB and the one to own going into this season. Maybe I'm off here....
Oh no, don’t you bring your logic in here. Jamaal Williams fantasy points is what matters. Not his failure to have more than ONE 15+ yd run.

Oh no, don’t you bring your logic in here. Jamaal Williams fantasy points is what matters. Not his failure to have more than ONE 15+ yd run.
They both should have a role.  Williams did have 225 receiving yards to Jones 22 total.  That is significant in an Aaron Rodgers offense.  Williams also played the bulk of his snaps with Brett Hundley at QB, likely facing stacked boxes.  What we saw, to answer the question, was Williams breaking multiple tackles on a regular basis, providing solid pass protection, and contributing in the passing game.  He was the focal point of the offense while Rodgers was out, and he was impressive, albeit not spectacular.  In my opinion, had he been a first round pick heavily touted coming out, his performance and highlight reel tackle breaking would have this community all abuzz right now.  If you just look at his average per carry, it does not tell the story.  Williams played well after he settled in, and proved that he belongs.

Jones showed some good burst through the hole, but I recall a few runs where the lane was so huge, the Fridge would have had 20 yards on the play.  Williams never saw those lanes, aside from one reception I remember where he just had to turn upfield.  The numbers themselves do not always tell the complete story.

dmac37 said:

First, he was picked before Jones so the Packers liked him better coming out of college and that factored into my decision. When I looked at his college tape I liked that he was a strong North-South runner and that he has good vision in picking his holes and running behind his blockers.  He also is a good blocker and a team with Rodgers needs that above all.  

He earned the starting job. Jones not only got hurt but also has lega issues that could result in him missing some games. And Williams is the better all around back, catching, blocking and running. Williams is the kind of back who can carry a big load and gets better with more carries.

Jones looks to me like a change of pace bak.

Aaron Jones averaged 2 yards more per carry than Jamaal Williams !!

How is this even a controversy ?  Sure Williams has more receiving yards, but Jones is quicker and has more burst.

If both of these guys are healthy, it's Aaron Jones hands down, he is simply the better running back. Granted, Williams is the better pass catcher, but this does not come close to making up the 2 yards per carry chasm between the two.

These numbers don't lie.  Aaron Jones 5.5 yards per carry / Jamaal Williams 3.6 .

How is this even a controversy ?  Sure Williams has more receiving yards, but Jones is quicker and has more burst.

If both of these guys are healthy, it's Aaron Jones hands down, he is simply the better running back. Granted, Williams is the better pass catcher, but this does not come close to making up the 2 yards per carry chasm between the two.

These numbers don't lie.  Aaron Jones 5.5 yards per carry / Jamaal Williams 3.6 .
No dog in this fight but the ypc is fairly meaningless with such a small sample size (81 carries for Jones and 156 for Williams).

One long run can have a major impact on ypc when we're looking at 81 carries.

dmac37 said:

He's the most complete package of the group. He's also the most durable. I don't envision a pure bellcow role (He could be. I don't see that as long ad Jones and TyMont are healthy). I do envision a 60-70% share of the touches in his favor. I'm willing to gamble for an early 2nd or later without hesitation. 

I'll take the 9 game sample over the 4 game sample. Also, Aaron Rodgers was playing in 2/4 of the games Jones got the majority of carries. Imagine if Williams had Arog handing him the ball  :)

No dog in this fight but the ypc is fairly meaningless with such a small sample size (81 carries for Jones and 156 for Williams).

One long run can have a major impact on ypc when we're looking at 81 carries.
I agree that this is a small sample size and I can't tell you who is going to get the brunt of the work, but in college Aaron Jones was known for breaking off big runs where he had 40+ yd runs in 8 games.

Lets be real here.  Aaron Jones is not the next Chris Johnson.  He ran a respectable 4.56 40 which puts him in the 46th percentile. - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/aaron-jones

Williams ran a 4.59 - https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jamaal-williams.  If that .03 second of speed is enough to convince anyone that one of these guys is a plodder and the other is a breakaway threat, than so be it.  If you watched the games, you saw Jones running through holes that made it look like Green Bay was on a power play.  Any NFL RB takes those to the house.  Use YPC on an 81 carry sample size at your own peril.

I have a retort for those that believe that a back with > 150 carries and ONE SINGLE RUN > 15 yds is the best back....  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread