What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Aaron Jones, MIN (3 Viewers)

One of the allures to new RBs is you can bring them in when you need them and they can pretty much step right in.  I think I'd rather wait and see what happened with the free agents and bring in a RB if you find out you need one than draft one early and particularly waste a pick if you strike a deal with one of the guys you have.

Of course the fact that it came in the same draft as the Jordan Love thing is what really amplified it.
That's fine if you have another RB and a rookie. But BOTH RBs are FAs. If you lose Jones you'd still have Williams and a rookie. If you lose Williams you'd still have Jones and a rookie. But if they lost BOTH RBs you'd be going in to next year with a backfield led by an inexperienced rookie RB. I don't think Aaron Rodgers would be too happy relying on a rookie RB's pass protection. Of course, they'd also probably bring in a free agent RB. But you are still relying on a rookie RB and someone else's castoff. Protecting yourself is the smart thing to do. And it also gives you a little more negotiating power. And some wiggle room in this year's draft.

If both Jones and Williams sign elsewhere and they didn't have Dillon they'd be forced to spend a high draft pick on a RB. Now they can concentrate on an early pick for a WR or defensive help. And NOT a RB or QB

It is what it is. Doesn't really matter how the contract offer was structured in terms of whether it was foolish to draft Dillon or not. When you are entering the season and your top 2 RBs are FAs at the end of the season, drafting a RB in the 2nd round isn't foolish.
It’s about context and here was the context. The best passer in the history of the NFL has maybe a 2-3 year window of elite performance. The team should be surrounding him with talent to win now not drafting players that can’t help right now. When Rodgers goes it’s a rebuild.

The Love move was atrocious in this context. And so was the Dillon move. Pretty much any other positions would be better picks. A WR who doesn’t have concrete hands, a defensive lineman who doesn’t get blown off the ball, a linebacker who can make an impact against the run. . . The list goes on.

Let’s say Jones leaves, and so does Williams, and we didn’t draft Dillon. Still a ton of options. There are veterans on the market, and there are solid backs that could be drafted now that can fill the need now.

I personally think the Love trade up was stupid and that Dillon's pick (I'm biased as he's on my main dynasty team) wasn't egregious. Aaron Jones will be 27, and the cliff happens quickly for these guys, though he shouldn't have much tread on the tires due to a late start and injuries. Kind of had to assess a replacement for him, and if they want to be a predominantly running team, he's the guy to take in that situation. Football rosters are always in flux. It may have been that they needed to take a receiver in the first and Dillon in the second, but a linebacker? Seriously, that devalued position? You should be able to find linebackers late in the draft or in FA. Gosh knows plenty were available. And what game-changing DL was there last year? Gross-Matos? Epenesa? There weren't many after Young.

That's fine if you have another RB and a rookie. But BOTH RBs are FAs. If you lose Jones you'd still have Williams and a rookie. If you lose Williams you'd still have Jones and a rookie. But if they lost BOTH RBs you'd be going in to next year with a backfield led by an inexperienced rookie RB. I don't think Aaron Rodgers would be too happy relying on a rookie RB's pass protection. Of course, they'd also probably bring in a free agent RB. But you are still relying on a rookie RB and someone else's castoff. Protecting yourself is the smart thing to do. And it also gives you a little more negotiating power. And some wiggle room in this year's draft.

If both Jones and Williams sign elsewhere and they didn't have Dillon they'd be forced to spend a high draft pick on a RB. Now they can concentrate on an early pick for a WR or defensive help. And NOT a RB or QB
I mean you answered it yourself.  You just bring in another FA RB like a handful of teams in the league do every year.

And if you're adamant that you want to make sure you have a guy on the roster who was on the roster last year at the position then that's the kind of scenario where you spend a 5th round pick or something on a guy.  Kind of like when they grabbed Aaron Jones in the 6th.

Everyone has their own opinion obviously, but this is a team that finished a few yards short of a Super Bowl appearance that used its 1st and 2nd round picks last year on guys that were essentially meant to be backups this year.  When you have an aging all time great QB with only a few seasons left it makes sense to me to try and maximize those seasons.  You don't really have seasons to waste with "eh, maybe a guy we picked could have made the difference in getting us to the Super Bowl this year, but we'll get 'em next year".

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think the Love trade up was stupid and that Dillon's pick (I'm biased as he's on my main dynasty team) wasn't egregious. Aaron Jones will be 27, and the cliff happens quickly for these guys, though he shouldn't have much tread on the tires due to a late start and injuries. Kind of had to assess a replacement for him, and if they want to be a predominantly running team, he's the guy to take in that situation. Football rosters are always in flux. It may have been that they needed to take a receiver in the first and Dillon in the second, but a linebacker? Seriously, that devalued position? You should be able to find linebackers late in the draft or in FA. Gosh knows plenty were available. And what game-changing DL was there last year? Gross-Matos? Epenesa? There weren't many after Young.
The Dillon pick wasn't terrible in a vacuum.  But it was a pretty iffy pick, and the fact that it came on the heels of the Love pick just compounded it.

I still cant believe they drafted a QB in the first round.  How stupid.  I mean for real.  Worst draft idea ever.

Edit....Q up the "rodgers was a 1st when they had favre" comments
Seems like not many people jumping on the Rodgers comparison too hard.  I think that's because most realize the very obvious difference.  Rodgers was considered an elite prospect who was projected to go possibly 1st overall in the draft, but magically became available as an insane value pick for GB just due to the mechanics of no one else really needing a QB after SF decided to take Smith over him.

Love wasn't some insane value that everyone was sitting around saying "holy crap we can get a top 2 overall draft pick player with this pick in the 20's we can't pass that up".  He went about where he was projected to go.

The Athletic's Sheil Kapadia believes Aaron Jones could get up to $15 million a year in free agency. 

That would put Jones on par with Alvin Kamara and Ezekiel Elliott, and just $1 million less than Christian McCaffrey, the highest paid running back in NFL history. It would hardly be surprising to see a team break open the vault for Jones, who has 3,017 yards from scrimmage since the start of 2019 and whose 829 receiving yards over the past two seasons rank sixth among running backs. His 51 runs of 10-plus yards are tied for sixth over the past two seasons. Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst said the team would like to bring back Jones for 2021 and beyond, but at 26 years old, this will probably be Jones' only chance to break the bank. Packers backfield mate Jamaal Williams is also a free agent. AJ Dillon, who flashed late in the 2020 season, waits in the wings. 

RELATED: 

AJ Dillon

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Feb 23, 2021, 10:23 AM ET

I don't think you take a back that high unless you plan to go with them right away. I don't think the Packers had a plan at all, though. If they let Jones walk, IMO their best move would be to take *another* top back at this point. Which they could/should have seen coming, which begs the question why take Dillon last year at all? I guess he will have another year of development under his belt so that if they hand the job to him he will be more ready and seasoned to compete within this Rodgers window. But I would rather just take one of the very best RBs in the draft. I still see Dillon as a backup Jamaal Williams replacement and that they currently don't have an Aaron Jones replacement. If they drafted an Aaron Jones replacement this year, which I think they should if they let him walk, it would make the Dillon pick look even stupider. 

I'm just not on the Dillon hype train even if Jones leaves I am skeptical.

One issue Aaron Jones will have getting $15M a year is the Packers can franchise him for $8m.

If GB goes the franchise tag route things will likely get contentious between the parties. My guess would be if they that route we'll be sitting here in August with Aaron Jones not signing his tender and threatening to miss games/season.

As a Jones owner I do really hope he stays in GB. I cannot imagine him going anywhere that has that kind of ceiling for fantasy.
I don't own Jones but if I did I'd want him in GB but I'd want him on a contract, not the tag due to the threat of missed games.

I read a GB beat writer last week use the phrase "Rosenhaus would never allow it" when discussing the franchise tag. As for GB, if they want AJ back, it's a no brainer to pay him $8m on a one year deal instead of guaranteeing him something like $12-15M  over first few years of the deal. Only benefit to Green Bay in doing a long term deal over the franchise tag  is to try and push some cap money into future years but I don't think that outweighs getting to pay him $8M for one year then have option of doing it again for a little more next year or just walking away.

I don't own Jones but if I did I'd want him in GB but I'd want him on a contract, not the tag due to the threat of missed games.

I read a GB beat writer last week use the phrase "Rosenhaus would never allow it" when discussing the franchise tag. As for GB, if they want AJ back, it's a no brainer to pay him $8m on a one year deal instead of guaranteeing him something like $12-15M  over first few years of the deal. Only benefit to Green Bay in doing a long term deal over the franchise tag  is to try and push some cap money into future years but I don't think that outweighs getting to pay him $8M for one year then have option of doing it again for a little more next year or just walking away.
Yeah saw your comment above and could see that. I am wondering if there is any kind of x factor of wanting to keep Jones and Rodgers paired up during this window. Paying him that contract might be worth a little bit to the Packers over an 8 million tag *if* keeping them together means something. I would be skeptical of that but I mean is a couple million dollars worth making your team worse? Maybe I'm wrong about Dillon but I'd rather pay Jones and win. Packers haven't shown me they think like that though. 

If he does land in a decent spot that is lesser than GB, he may end up being a value in redraft. I believe in his talent and if he gets a comparable role elsewhere I think he will produce with it. In dynasty nobody is buying so he is an obvious hold.

With regards to keeping Rodgers and Jones together, and I agree with all the rationale you provided as to why that makes sense for GB. But they could easily do this for at least two more years with the tag. $8M this year and I think the following year it would be a shade under $10M. They have the means, but I don't think they can do this without so much pushback that the distraction is something they will want to avoid.

There are for sure a lot of other good spots for him and some that could better especially if you go with rationale that anyone who pays him on the open market is a team with a design for him, much in the same way we push up RB's who go higher in the draft. He's talented, he's not some product of Aaron Rodgers or this offense. 

Jones is a very good player but if Green Bay is gonna pay that type of $ to an offensive weapon they are better off giving it to a WR to go with Adams...then use a decent draft pick and/or go after an affordable FA that compliments Dillon like James White...I think that is a better bang for their buck to get them over the hump...also, I think Jamaal Williams has a chance to end up being one of the better FA values out there...good all around back that will probably cost 1/3 (or less) of Jones.

Jones is a very good player but if Green Bay is gonna pay that type of $ to an offensive weapon they are better off giving it to a WR to go with Adams...then use a decent draft pick and/or go after an affordable FA that compliments Dillon like James White...I think that is a better bang for their buck to get them over the hump...also, I think Jamaal Williams has a chance to end up being one of the better FA values out there...good all around back that will probably cost 1/3 (or less) of Jones.
I agree in principal but the problem is that top RB salaries just don't buy that much on the open WR market.

Tyrell Williams got $11.5m per year on the open market and Jarvis Landry $15.5m.

ARob did take $14m on the open market but he took less money to play in the city he wanted so that was a bit of a unique case.

I suppose even paying extra for someone like that may be worth it though.  ARob at $18m/yr might still be a better deal for GB than Jones for $12-14m.  But I definitely wouldn't want a Landry/Tyrell type over Jones.  I think all of the top 5 FA WRs will get more $$ than Jones.

I agree in principal but the problem is that top RB salaries just don't buy that much on the open WR market.

Tyrell Williams got $11.5m per year on the open market and Jarvis Landry $15.5m.

ARob did take $14m on the open market but he took less money to play in the city he wanted so that was a bit of a unique case.

I suppose even paying extra for someone like that may be worth it though.  ARob at $18m/yr might still be a better deal for GB than Jones for $12-14m.  But I definitely wouldn't want a Landry/Tyrell type over Jones.  I think all of the top 5 FA WRs will get more $$ than Jones.
Below is from Sportstrac and they have a calculated market value for the good free agents...here is what they project for average annual salary:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Godwin-17.1

ARob-20

Golladay-17

Juju-16.1

Fuller-16.9

Samuel-12.4

Corey Davis-9.8

Marvin Jones-10.5

Below is from Sportstrac and they have a calculated market value for the good Free agents...here is what they project for average annual salary:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Godwin-17.1

ARob-20

Golladay-17

Juju-16.1

Fuller-16.9

Samuel-12.4

Corey Davis-9.8

Marvin Jones-10.5
Solid guesswork by spotrac but Aaron Jones can be franchise tagged for less then any of them showing here, for half of what the top 5 are forecast to make.

If I'm GB and my choices are:

1. Pay one of those WR's with idea that structure of the contract mean it was a 2-3 year commitment

2. Sign Aaron Jones to long term contract paying him around $15m apy with assumption structure of the contract was a 2-3 year commitment.

3. Franchise tag Aaron Jones for about $8.5 and if I like how he still looks and don't have to use the tag on someone else in 2022 franchise him again for 20% more. And the assumption would be this plan will met with pushback from Aaron Jones/Rosenhaus.

If that's my options I'm choosing 3 and I'll deal with Aaron Jones and Rosenhaus displeasure over it.

My second choice would be 1 but that brings along complications because they can't bring in someone like Godwin or Robinson and pay them more then Adams.  They might need to re-do Adams anyway but if are picking at the top of the market you are talking about having a situation were you'd have around $40M committed to two WR's in apy. That's rough. That would easily blow away any financial commitment a SB winning team ever made to the position. I wonder what is even highest paid WR to ever win the SB? I'd have said Mike Evans but his cap number last year was under $10m.

Option 2 would be my last choice and if I was GB and went this route I'd need to be able to walk away after 2 years without any significant hits and even then I'd probably rather pay Jamaal Williams $5-6 apy.

Jones is likely too expensive for Miami and many other teams. A smaller cap, cheaper rookies are all in play.

For Miami, as a receiver, Gaskin had several splash plays including the long catch and run TD from Fitzpatrick in the win over the Raiders and a 37 reception from Tua during a QB scramble. Gaskin knows where to go as a receiver and has some elusiveness. Jones is clearly more explosive as a runner, but the expected price would be high - "four-year, $46 million contract, with $25 million guaranteed.."

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article249424730.html

I'd rather the Dolphins spend cap money on a WR like Robinson or TE like Jonu Smith, who will have more shelf life than Jones. And draft a RB like Etienne in the early second, or Willams late second. 
With all the picks they have I agree using their 2nd #1 on Harris or Etienne rather than paying good money for a 26 year old RB (and then using the money elsewhere) makes more sense...that being said I do think their #1 priority (and IMO there is not a close second) is surrounding Tua with far more talent so he is in a better position to develop.

With all the picks they have I agree using their 2nd #1 on Harris or Etienne rather than paying good money for a 26 year old RB (and then using the money elsewhere) makes more sense...that being said I do think their #1 priority (and IMO there is not a close second) is surrounding Tua with far more talent so he is in a better position to develop.
If Dolphins feel like that division is theirs for the taking, I can see preferring Jones over a rookie. And they can certainly address other areas of need with that pick NOT used on a rookie rb. 

If Dolphins feel like that division is theirs for the taking, I can see preferring Jones over a rookie. And they can certainly address other areas of need with that pick NOT used on a rookie rb. 
I can see that thinking...I'm just not a fan of giving a RB that will be 27 this year a big contract as that has a good chance to be a deal you will regret, especially when there are other other options.

Not that I am saying they should sign Jones, but one thing about paying a RB in FA vs a WR is the difference in cost though. Even at a top RB salary Jones would likely be cheaper in comparison to even a 2nd tier FA WR. Could then use that #3 pick on a guy like Chase and get a potential stud at a premier/expensive position cost controlled for 4-5 years. In 2-3 years when you have to start paying all these young draft picks they’ve had, Jones will be at the end of his contract/useful life and can move on.

Don't the Dolphins have a pretty bad OL on top of no proven QB?

Gaskin's salary is $850k. If he's even 70% as good as Jones that's good enough for me at like 3% of Jones's price.

Chicago Hooligan said:

Gaskin's salary is $850k. If he's even 70% as good as Jones that's good enough for me at like 3% of Jones's price.
Whatever they do, improving on Gaskin seems to be a given and not that costly.

I'm surprised GB is not expected to tag him since that dropped to $8m. Sure he might raise a stink about it, but seems like a great deal for Jones' services if you can get him to play on it. 

I'm sure Miami is "interested" just like they had interest in Melvin Gordon last year. Similar to Gordon, I don't think they'll be the highest bidder for Jones. 

Chicago Hooligan said:

Their OL is very young. It was awful at run blocking most of the year, but they improved late in the season. I'm optimistic they'll be a quality line eventually.

I think their biggest offensive need is 2 new WRs, as well as going back to the OL well for Sewell or a starting center.

Speaking Tuesday, Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said the franchise tag is an option for impending free agent Aaron Jones. 

"It's very much case by case," Gutekunst said after maligning that there are "usually better ways to avoid it." 26 with his one real chance to get paid as an NFLer, Jones is not going to be handing out hometown discounts. That means the tag will be all but inevitable if the Pack want to keep him, either as a one-year stopgap or as a stepping stone to a long-term deal before July's deadline. Unlike some positions, the tag is highly affordable from a team perspective for running backs, checking in around $8 million. 

SOURCE: Ryan Wood on Twitter 

Mar 2, 2021, 3:22 PM ET

30 minutes left, not franchise tagged and reports so far indicate it's more likely then not they won't be franchising him.

Frankly this seems like stupendously poor management by the Packers, I can't even figure out what they are thinking. I don't like idea of committing long term contracts to RB's but one year for under $9M for Aaron Jones when your team was a game away from the SB and you only got a little time left with Rodgers is dumbfounding to me.

AJ Dillon owners can party down now, but I sure don't understand what Green Bay is thinking here.

30 minutes left, not franchise tagged and reports so far indicate it's more likely then not they won't be franchising him.

AJ Dillon owners can party down now, but I sure don't understand what Green Bay is thinking here.
I wouldn't be. I guess this might be my hottest take ever since everyone is so convinced Dillon will be the man if Jones leaves, and I may be the only one doubting it. I agree they're crazy to let Jones walk, though. 

Frankly this seems like stupendously poor management by the Packers, I can't even figure out what they are thinking. I don't like idea of committing long term contracts to RB's but one year for under $9M for Aaron Jones when your team was a game away from the SB and you only got a little time left with Rodgers is dumbfounding to me.

Yep, this one makes no sense to me. Jones on a 1-year $8+m contract for a win now team seems like a no-brainer. 

I wouldn't be. I guess this might be my hottest take ever since everyone is so convinced Dillon will be the man if Jones leaves, and I may be the only one doubting it. I agree they're crazy to let Jones walk, though. 
I do think Dillon will be the man, not a three down back and close to a zero in the passing game but the  main runner. Figure it was the plan when they drafted him.

But really when I said Dillon owners should be partying I was thinking more in terms of dynasty and fact he's a hot commodity now due to the bolded above. Aaron Jones leaving has unquestionably put his value up. However his owners want to deal with that is up to them but the asset they own just jumped in value.

I don't even own one of them in dynasty and barely in fantasy period, just from a real football perspective I can't imagine most teams in Green Bay's position would let Jones walk.

I do think Dillon will be the man, not a three down back and close to a zero in the passing game but the  main runner. Figure it was the plan when they drafted him.
So Derrick Henry under LaFleur. But the weeks 1-12 version or the weeks 13-17 version?

But really when I said Dillon owners should be partying I was thinking more in terms of dynasty and fact he's a hot commodity now due to the bolded above. Aaron Jones leaving has unquestionably put his value up. However his owners want to deal with that is up to them but the asset they own just jumped in value.
Well yeah I would be happy about that for sure. I suppose I was thinking redraft because so far I've been seeing him go in the 4th thru 6th rounds. I agree he will be the main runner. Which makes GB worse and their backfield useless for FF. So dumb.

So Derrick Henry under LaFleur. But the weeks 1-12 version or the weeks 13-17 version?
Yes and which one is the question and also I got some questions if the usage was intended to be like Henry in 13-17  will Dillon have the durability that Henry has shown, so far the answer is no.

But I'll tell you I was sitting in a draft last night looking at Aaron Rodgers and I backed off over this very situation. Losing Aaron Jones is not a win for Rodgers in terms of losing a multi-purpose weapon and neither is more of a ground and pound attack I think might be more part of the plan.

But I'll tell you I was sitting in a draft last night looking at Aaron Rodgers and I backed off over this very situation. Losing Aaron Jones is not a win for Rodgers in terms of losing a multi-purpose weapon and neither is more of a ground and pound attack I think might be more part of the plan.
Very true. Jones has effectively been the WR2 there the past 2 seasons. 

A ground and pound attack with Aaron Rodgers seems... less than optimal. 

I own Dillon in dynasty, and while I realize that the Pack could resign Jones as a FA, or that a ton of other things could happen, I do have to admit that it may have moved a little at the news that Jones wasn't tagged. 

I own Dillon in dynasty, and while I realize that the Pack could resign Jones as a FA, or that a ton of other things could happen, I do have to admit that it may have moved a little at the news that Jones wasn't tagged. 
Visions of him bulling his way into the end zone give me happy feelings. 

With Jamal leaving too have to figure the Pack draft another RB this year. Obviously not in the 1st round nor probably in the 2nd (although who expected Dillon last year) but 3rd or 4th round could be likely. Heck, Jones was a 5th rounder originally, any RB could be a potential threat to touches or the starting job. Although Dillon will almost certainly get first crack at it and a long leash.

With Jamal leaving too have to figure the Pack draft another RB this year.
That was my next thought and I started thinking of how someone like Gainwell or Carter at end of round 2 or a little later make sense paired with Dillon and how that would very much likely add to quality of round one dynasty draft RB class. I'd like to see it.

I find it hard to believe they want to do this. I am pretty sure it isn't what Rodgers wants to do either, though that doesn't necessarily matter. 

Maybe I need to reevaluate Dillon but I don't see him as very special. 

Could GB be thinking that the 2021 FA market is going to be so crappy that they can match a long term offer that Jones might have on the table elsewhere. Not going to happen but they don't seem super bright.

Only thing I can think of is maybe GB has a prize FA they are targeting and need the $, maybe a WR (that they should have drafted last year instead)?

Only thing I can think of is maybe GB has a prize FA they are targeting and need the $, maybe a WR (that they should have drafted last year instead)?
Better than Jones? Carson or Fournette? No way. And who would be better suited to hit the ground running in the GB offense? Mind boggling. 

I think this is what happens, not unlike in FF, when management puts too much emphasis on value and not enough on winning. 

I find it hard to believe they want to do this. I am pretty sure it isn't what Rodgers wants to do either, though that doesn't necessarily matter. 

Maybe I need to reevaluate Dillon but I don't see him as very special. 

Could GB be thinking that the 2021 FA market is going to be so crappy that they can match a long term offer that Jones might have on the table elsewhere. Not going to happen but they don't seem super bright.
I think you need to reevaluate Dillon. He was running against 8-9-10 man boxes when the qb was injured, and still produced- a lot. Good character guy too. Wasn’t a receiving threat in college and was working on his hands prior to the draft because that was an area he didn’t have much experience. I was pretty high on him last year and am really looking forward to him having an opportunity. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said the Packers believe free agent RB Aaron Jones is a "part of their future."

The Packers say they want to keep Jones long term, but their recent actions say otherwise. Green Bay signaled that a breakup was brewing when they selected A.J. Dillon in the second round last offseason and then opted to not apply the franchise tag on Jones this offseason. Unless his market is unexpectedly weak, Jones will be featured in another uniform. He averaged 1,509 total yards and 15 total touchdowns over his last two seasons. Miami and Jones reportedly have mutual interest.

RELATED: 

Green Bay Packers

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 9, 2021, 7:48 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread