What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jonnu Smith, Miami (2 Viewers)

Biabreakable

Footballguy
OVERVIEW

The son of the late Wayne Smith has been a find for FIU as a three-star recruit and first-team All-County pick (as well as a weightlifter) from Ocala. He was an honorable mention All-Conference USA pick in his freshman year, leading the Panthers with 39 receptions (for 388 yards, two TDs). Smith was a first-team all-conference pick in 2014 as his team's leading receiver (61-710, eight TDs), and led all tight ends nationally with those statistics. His last two seasons at FIU had their ups and downs, as he only played eight games as a junior (36-397, four TDs), missing the final four games due to a sprained knee. Smith was then named first-team All-Conference USA in 2016 (42-506, four TDs), but missed the end of the year when his pregnant girlfriend doused him with a pot of boiling water during an argument.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Plays with urgency and looks to squeeze the most out of each play. Flashes an electric burst up the field and into his routes. Seam buster with ability to race over top of the linebacker and into a throwing window quickly. Plays fast. Talented, competitive runner after the catch. Mashes the gas and can run away from linebackers. Loose hips with slick lateral side step after the catch. Has ability to work on all three levels. Competitive high school weight lifter with good functional strength as a blocker. Shows willingness to handle the heavy lifting as zone scheme blocker. Uses good angles and timing in his combination blocks.

WEAKNESSES

Body catcher who doesn't trust his own hands. Has dropped 10 passes over the last two seasons with too many double catches. Needs to do a better job of helping his QB by working to the ball and shielding. Gets grinded on by redirects out of his release into routes. Needs to learn how to adjust routes or disengage earlier. Not a convincing route runner and just kind of goes through the motion rather than selling fakes. Undersized for an in-line option. Frame may not be able to carry additional weight.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 4

NFL COMPARISON

Delanie Walker

BOTTOM LINE

Athletic tight end with four years of pass-catching production and experience as an in-line blocker. Smith is electric after the catch and has the speed to attack all three levels of the field, but his inconsistent hands could hold him back. Smith's lack of size will likely push him into a "move tight end" role, but he's a more effective blocker in the zone game than many who have been asked to do it on the pro level. -Lance Zierlein LINK
College stats

Year Class G Tgt Rec Yds Avg TD
2013 FR 12 53 39 388 9.9 2
2014 SO 12 84 61 710 11.6 8
2015 JR 8 56 36 397 11.0 4
2016 SR 11 * 42 506 12.0 4

Career 178 rec 2001 yards 11.2 ypc 18 TD

* only found 6 games of target data from 2016 so that is incomplete

Combine results

6' 2" 248 pounds

40 time 4.62

Bench 22 reps

Vertical 38"

Broad 10' 6"

3 cone 7.43 (pro day)

Draft Breakdown 1 game

Jonnu Smith's Highlights

Jonnu Smith Highlights

Observations

Smith lines up in line, as a split end outside or in the slot or at times as a flanker not on the LOS as a wingback in the backfield. Plays defense :D Versitile.

He has a decent release to get separation early on in the route, rarely challenged by defensive backs at the line. He is usually taller than the players trying to cover him. He is pretty fast and can get behind defenders outside or in the seam. He is good at coming back for the ball and boxing defenders out with positioning before doing that. Catches with his hands for the most part (although I read he struggled with this on plays I may not have seen earlier in his career) He can elevate for the ball when he needs to as well. Decen't run after the catch ability. Used a spin move to get free for extra yards on one play and just running with good speed and power after the catch on another. Makes a defender miss with a good cut inside after the catch on a flat route that the QB was a second or two slow with delivering the ball. Gets a sack on the QB because why not? He does some really nice things with penetration and stuffing the run as well. Another play he forces the RB to take the hole inside and is althetic enough to cross his blockers face and fill the hole before the RB can get by him. Several examples of him doing a good job as a blocker when he lines up inline. One block on a defensive back that was not pretty but it was enough to keep that defender from making the play.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2017/06/28/delanie-walker-titans-rookie-jonnu-smith-will-better-than-me/427534001/

Delanie Walker: Titans rookie Jonnu Smith 'will be better than me'

Jonnu Smith could be the greatest tight end in Titans history, says one of the greatest tight ends in Titans history.

“One day he will be better than me,” said Delanie Walker, who owns the franchise single-season records for most catches and receiving yards by a tight end. “And that’s his ultimate goal. And if he didn’t feel that way, I wouldn’t want him here.”

The Titans selected Smith with the 100th overall pick in the third round of April’s draft, making him the sixth tight end off the board, and the former Florida International star has since done nothing but impress.

The 6-foot-3, 248-pound rookie spent the offseason quietly learning from coaches and veterans. And with Anthony Fasano leaving in free agency, Smith should have an immediate opportunity to contribute in a Titans offense that heavily incorporates two-tight end sets.

“He’s made less mistakes. He’s playing faster,” Titans coach Mike Mularkey said during offseason workouts. “This young man wants to do (well). It’s really fun to coach him because everything’s important. He looks you dead in the eye; he takes every word in; and he wants to please you. He wants to do right for his teammates. So he’s a fun guy to coach.”

This is going to be a biiiiiiig TE class.
That's sort of what worries me - I keep getting sucked into rookie TE hype, then reminding myself what the likelihood is of any of these guys producing at a significant level, let alone a whole class of them. Jonnu Smith seems to have as much of a shot of any of them though, and everything sounds good so far... 

That's sort of what worries me - I keep getting sucked into rookie TE hype, then reminding myself what the likelihood is of any of these guys producing at a significant level, let alone a whole class of them. Jonnu Smith seems to have as much of a shot of any of them though, and everything sounds good so far... 
Not taking smith is my biggest regret from the draft this year.  Took butt instead, who was a prime target. Can't get them all but I think smith will be very good.  Hopefully his value drops a bit this next year - but with nobody really expecting much it would take an impatient owner to trade him next year. 

Smith, Butt, Everett, Sheehan, Kittle, Hodges, etc. would be a decent TE class most years, and they are the clear 2nd tier this year. That is crazy.

I have some teams that really need young TEs, and I think I am just going to use all my 3-5 round rookie picks on these guys. Odds are one will pan out.

Smith, Butt, Everett, Sheehan, Kittle, Hodges, etc. would be a decent TE class most years, and they are the clear 2nd tier this year. That is crazy.

I have some teams that really need young TEs, and I think I am just going to use all my 3-5 round rookie picks on these guys. Odds are one will pan out.
I was able to get Howard and Shaheen in my league.  Kittle and Smith slipped through the cracks, but since we only start 1 TE and it's not TE-Prem, idk if it's worth dropping someone for them.

any report?
Wonderful kid. Loves blocking so much that he regularly gets his guy and hunts down another guy to block. Everyone loves him but especially Lewan, Walker, and Mularkey.

Nice hands and catches well. Typical TE combo of size, strength, and speed to make him a tough matchup.

Has been singled out a number of times for never making the same mistake twice, yesterday too IIRC. Knows WR spots, FB, and both TE spots. Learns and learns.

As an offensive player comes up to a defensive player, they extend their hands and block with a common type pushing motion. You've seen this several million times. His block is more forceful than I've ever seen. Usually the two players lock arms and it's like to offensive downfield blocker is getting in the way moreso than blocking. He often puts his arms down low at his belly, not at shoulder height when he pushes. He gets such force it's like a punch. It's fantastic. He really can move through defenders quickly with this technique

The Titans have this play where he and Fowler get in front of Henry up the sideline. It's been a big play in every game including their scrimmage. The Bears had clearly watched tape of the Titans and were ready for some things. It went from 20-40ish yards to about 10-15 (I forget exact) yards. Those two are so big and mobile it's so difficult for Ds to get to Henry on that play. One or two times that play is run per game, not often.

Has lined up way more often as an h-back than a TE. He's caddy corner to the TE spot, not shoulder to shoulder with Lewan. He hasn't had trouble blocking anyone at all, but there's a caveat here.

Phillip Supernaw was to replace two excellent blocking TEs and seemed not up to the task. He improved dramatically. He's done very well as the inline second TE blocking. Supernaw has been in earlier than Jonnu. Supernaw has faced the better DEs and OLBs on the LOS. Jonnu has faced backups. At DE there is almost always a considerable drop between the star DE and the backup-most fans can't even name the backup DEs. 

He should play a whole lot. Until he blocks star DEs, we won't know how often.

He absolutely is Delanie's future replacement and the team couldn't be happier with that idea. Top TEs don't grow on trees so his dynasty ranking is ridiculously off. Other than the DE issue, he has shown everything.

Listen to the presser yesterday. He got in the way of Matthews route. He blocked his guy, another, and then the safety and messed up Matthews route. That's like the greatest mistake a coach could deal with. Without even seeing the play, you can probably imagine the speed it would take to block as such and still get into Matthews way deep. 

Mularkey said the starters could be Delanie and Jonnu, Delanie and Supernaw, or Jonnu and Supernaw. He doesn't want that stuff you guys(reporters) do. Then he confirmed that they would all play a lot.

In a backhanded way, this shows you his confidence in Jonnu

As the Owner of Walker, Jonnu, and ASJ in Dynasty it's hard for me to decide if I want to drop Jonnu or ASJ on my final cuts. Seeing these updates make it difficult. ARG!!!

Tex

As the Owner of Walker, Jonnu, and ASJ in Dynasty it's hard for me to decide if I want to drop Jonnu or ASJ on my final cuts. Seeing these updates make it difficult. ARG!!!

Tex
I just cut ASJ yesterday as part of my cut downs (only Rudolph & Fiedorowicz on roster in 1.5 PPR for TEs) and ASJ hasn't been picked up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
added to my watch list.
best rookie TE in years. His blocking is extraordinarily good and the coaches rave that he never makes the same mistake twice. His speed with his blocking, I don't know if I ever have seen a tight end able to get downfield so fast, block, and be able to run again to get the next....all as smoothly as he does. He catches everything but for FF he's not used enough. He's a veteran as far as boxing out, uses his bod to shield the defender perfectly. That play where he blocked, stepped back, caught it, and ran 35 yards, that was drawn up Saturday and never practiced. Always says he's thankful for the opportunity and something he can improve upon. Volunteers for charity stuff. At the hip with Delanie to sponge all he can. Perfect perfect prospect.

You should be able to see highlights and pick him up for dynasty. Take the two minutes to hear an ordinary interview too.

I don't know if he can get open like Delanie when he's not around, but you can see in the highlights, he can really run for a big guy. IDK if he will develop into a top TE but it's all there-mindset, athleticism, opportunity- and as safe a dynasty risk as you're ever gonna get. The best part is like I said, watch some highlights. It's quite evident.

I don't know if he'll be freakishly good like OJ may be. Most people don't have the opportunity to get OJ Howard and another TE in dynasty. Usually, you have one for development. He's definitely what you're looking for as a development guy

Most people don't have the opportunity to get OJ Howard and another TE in dynasty. Usually, you have one for development. He's definitely what you're looking for as a development guy
well, got way lucky in my 14 team 22 deep dyno.  have witten and need two viable tes to plan for the future.

1.14    Howard, O.J. TBB TE    3:30:05 a.m.
2.11    Conner, James PIT RB    5:26:21 p.m.
3.10    Butt, Jake DEN TE    8:25:38 a.m.
3.12    Kittle, George SFO TE    9:25:26 a.m.
7.03    Williams, Chad ARI WR    11:24:51 p.m.

jonnu is on the wire, thinking of dropping kittle.

well, got way lucky in my 14 team 22 deep dyno.  have witten and need two viable tes to plan for the future.

1.14    Howard, O.J. TBB TE    3:30:05 a.m.
2.11    Conner, James PIT RB    5:26:21 p.m.
3.10    Butt, Jake DEN TE    8:25:38 a.m.
3.12    Kittle, George SFO TE    9:25:26 a.m.
7.03    Williams, Chad ARI WR    11:24:51 p.m.

jonnu is on the wire, thinking of dropping kittle.
Drop Butt instead if you haven't already 

I prefer Smith over George Kittle but considering how much Kittle is playing already as a rookie, 95% of the snaps week one and 6 targets then 88% of the snaps in week two with two targets, he is involved with the offense and doesn't have Walker ahead of him like Smith does right now. Its close. I think both have upside to become good receiving options for fantasy.

Smith played 36% of the snaps week one 1 target Walker played 83% of the snaps 54% of the snaps week two 3 targets Walker 82% 

I think Smith and Kittle have more upside in the long run compared to Jake Butt and they are actually playing now, especially Kittle.

Smith has way more upside. I don't think think Butt has a particularly high ceiling at the NFL level.  

FWIW I'm a Michigan fan who has seen every game of his in college.  
butt is on my ir, so im not wasting a roster spot.  im holding.

Mister perfect interview quote today:

“Like I always say, as long as I am putting my team in the best situation to win, that helps me build the confidence,” Smith said. “If it is pass blocking, run blocking, in the passing game, whatever that is, and I am continuing to help my team, then that helps me build confidence.”

There's the 'there's no I in team' phrase and then there's how he said it

I love Smith and I think he could be valuable if Walker is out, but as long as Walker is in the line up I don't see why Smith is a must pick up in redraft formats.

I do think he should be rostered in dynasty, but depends on how deep your bench is in regards to that.

He had two catches. :confused:  
In line for bigger role. Delanie Walker was hurt in OT

4:02 p.m.

Tennessee tight end Delanie Walker has been carted from the sideline to the locker room after hurting his right leg in a 12-9 overtime victory against the Cleveland Browns.

Walker, a two-time Pro Bowl tight end, hurt his lower leg after catching a 16-yard pass on the sideline. He was helped to the sideline and didn't put any weight on his right leg.

He had a team-high seven catches for 63 yards when hurt.

IDK that you can judge Walker's injury by sight. We've all sprained ankles and they are painful initially then it quickly wears off to become more tolerable. He was in a walking boot after the game and smiley in interviews. It's not like he was wincing. That's about how I'd expect a player to be with a sprained ankle. One reporter I asked said he was right there in the locker room with everyone else so he didn't even require treatment. Everything seems very typical of a sprained ankle- the rare injury we've all had and can make our own guesses as to when he's healed up

The Titans have only had 3 TEs and this hustler stone hands type nicknamed Sandwich. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they tryout some players during the bye to have on their will call list. This would whether Walker is healthy or not. 

Supernaw improved dramatically this offseason. I was always his biggest critic and was thoroughly impressed this summer. He's gone from grunt to looking quite capable, like a guy that has played behind some excellent TEs for 3-4 years. 

Jace Amaro had supposedly improved his blocking because that was the major issue keeping him on the inactive list last year. He looked great in shorts but when pads went on it was as if his blocking got worse. Jerome Cunningham has always been a fine blocker and poor receiver. He was on their PS. IDK what happened to him because he was curiously cut and replaced with Sandwich. I would guess he missed a curfew or said something he shouldn't. 

The Titans left the summer with just three tight ends and their projects didn't pan out. They needed more regardless.

The best thing for this offense is for them to NOT sign any TEs or have any on a will call list and force Mularkey to use his WRs and TEs like the other 31 teams do. Mularkey is still the guy that would have 53 TEs on his roster if he could and loves the 3 TE offense though. Going into the bye their issue is how fantastic their depth and offense looked the first few weeks when they had seemed to ditch the 3 TE O. Since then, they've played poorly and used the TEs like prior years.

For the Titans season and for FF it's real important to see how they come out of the bye. As NFL Ds have injuries, good luck having enough depth to cover Davis, Matthews, Decker, Taylor, Henry, Murray, Smith, and Delanie. On the otherhand, if they use a three tight end offense and all but one WR is in the center of the field, they're not that difficult to matchup with 

How about this FGILOTR- Walker said "I rolled it." Have ya ever heard or read someone say that about a HAS?

"Definitely not." You're deluded. That wasn't a minor ankle injury. 
You seem quite sure it wasn't a minor ankle injury yet are calling Bri delusional?

Have you considered the possibility that your remote sensed diagnosis is just as likely to be incorrect?

Users who are viewing this thread