What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jonnu Smith, Miami (1 Viewer)

What kind of volume do you see for Jonnu? 
I wouldn't be surprised if he was around 700-800 yds but anywhere from 6-12 TD's.  Titans have utilized TE's in the redzone quite a bit but have spread it around. That damn Firkser causes problems.  If Smith gets the looks I could easily seem him with double digit TD's. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he was around 700-800 yds but anywhere from 6-12 TD's.  Titans have utilized TE's in the redzone quite a bit but have spread it around. That damn Firkser causes problems.  If Smith gets the looks I could easily seem him with double digit TD's. 
I was thinking more along the line of a floor of 550/4 and a ceiling of 700/7

Last edited by a moderator:
His floor is what it has been for three seasons which is the ability to not trust him for steady points and give you a horrible week...he is worth rostering right now because there is opportunity but under no circumstances would I want to go into this season with him as my starter, way too much downside for that...it's year 4 so excuse time is over, either become a top 10 TE you can count on or become waiver wire material...I longer want to here about potential, I want to see actual production.

Biabreakable said:
Yeah I am not buying the idea that Smith is going to get more targets than Corey Davis.
I don't see why not. 

Evans might take some of the short game, but until either Henry learns to be a better receiver or the staff figures out that he can be more involved, Smith is their best short - middle range target. 

5-7 targets a game is sufficient imo

I don't see why not. 
Because the Titans wont throw the ball enough for Smith to reach those numbers. Thats why not.

Evans might take some of the short game, but until either Henry learns to be a better receiver or the staff figures out that he can be more involved, Smith is their best short - middle range target. 

5-7 targets a game is sufficient imo
5-7 targets per game would be 80 to 112 targets over 16 games.

Total passing attempts for the Titans the last 3 seasons has been 448 437 and 496 the last 3 seasons. This averages out to 460 attempts.

80 targets would be 17% pf the total, thats reasonable,  112 would be 24% of the total. That is way too high. Split the difference at 96 would be almost 21% of the total, still too high.

Yates has the Titans somehow throwing the ball 550 times for his very very optimistic projection for Smith. The reason given is that they can't possibly throw the ball so few times as they have over the last 3 seasons.

It seems to me that this is their plan and they have been sticking to it for 3 years in a row now. So why would they all of a sudden throw more than 500 times? What they have been doing has been successful. They are a playoff contender.

Fading Corey Davis because of Jonnu Smith seems really off to me. I will say again, I think Davis gets more targets than Smith does in 2020. I expect Brown to lead the team in targets. That makes Smith 3rd in that pecking order, and barring injuries that is what I expect we will see from the Titans this season.

I just moved him in a best ball dynasty that is (hopefully) set to disband after this 2020 jackpot season. It's a jacked up format but the trade was:

Jonnu and my 10.16 for Irv Jr and 4.02

There are 16 teams and 2 copies of each player. Started with 24 team but each year bottom 2 are kicked out and their rosters dumped into the FA pool. 4.02 is waaaaaaaay better than you might realize here. I expect Jefferson/Pittman/Hurst/Herndon/Jarwin to be available there. As an example. 

I just moved him in a best ball dynasty that is (hopefully) set to disband after this 2020 jackpot season. It's a jacked up format but the trade was:

Jonnu and my 10.16 for Irv Jr and 4.02

There are 16 teams and 2 copies of each player. Started with 24 team but each year bottom 2 are kicked out and their rosters dumped into the FA pool. 4.02 is waaaaaaaay better than you might realize here. I expect Jefferson/Pittman/Hurst/Herndon/Jarwin to be available there. As an example. 
I'm surprised by that.  Some owners prefer Irv Smith over Jonnu.

Jonnu Smith enters the 2020 season as the Titans' "undisputed" TE1, according to team writer Jim Wyatt.

Smith stepped in as the team's full-time starter in Week 7 due to an injury to Delanie Walker, and went on to record 29 receptions for 342 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games. Now entering his fourth season (and a contract year), it is time for Smith to take the next step as an every-down player from start to finish. He has previously drawn massive praise from opposing coaches, including Bill Belichick who termed Jonnu possibly the best yards after catch tight end in the NFL. He is a strong late round option at his TE17 ADP.

SOURCE: Tennessee Titans

Jul 22, 2020, 9:59 AM ET

Jonnu Smith enters the 2020 season as the Titans' "undisputed" TE1, according to team writer Jim Wyatt.

Smith stepped in as the team's full-time starter in Week 7 due to an injury to Delanie Walker, and went on to record 29 receptions for 342 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games. Now entering his fourth season (and a contract year), it is time for Smith to take the next step as an every-down player from start to finish. He has previously drawn massive praise from opposing coaches, including Bill Belichick who termed Jonnu possibly the best yards after catch tight end in the NFL. He is a strong late round option at his TE17 ADP.

SOURCE: Tennessee Titans

Jul 22, 2020, 9:59 AM ET
I'm on the Smith train, but I am monitoring how fast it's going in case I need to jump.

While there is obvious upside there I don't see Smith having much trade value...the reason is he has probably already been owned and cut by 50% of the owners in the league...outside of being a throw-in or getting something like a third rounder (at best) I don't see anyone stepping up with anything of substance (and I see why)...if you own just ride it out for the first 4 or 5 games and if he doesn't produce then you can officially throw him to the fantasy scrape-heap and use his roster spot for someone else that will drive you crazy...this year is make or break for him, no more excuses.

Speaking Thursday, Titans TEs coach Todd Downing praised Jonnu Smith's skill-set. 

"He makes it fun," Downing gushed. "When you have a guy on your offense that can do so many things, you can be creative and find ways to get him touches." A perfect fit for the Titans' run-focused, YAC-friendly attack, Smith is a play-maker with the ball in his hands who chews up yards after the catch. Playing in a narrow offense when it comes to targets, the 24-year-old has a path to No. 2 status in the passing game. Currently being drafted in the TE15-18 range, Smith is a late-round flier who could easily become a TE1. 

SOURCE: Turron Davenport on Twitter 

Aug 13, 2020, 10:46 PM ET

While there is obvious upside there I don't see Smith having much trade value...the reason is he has probably already been owned and cut by 50% of the owners in the league...outside of being a throw-in or getting something like a third rounder (at best) I don't see anyone stepping up with anything of substance (and I see why)...if you own just ride it out for the first 4 or 5 games and if he doesn't produce then you can officially throw him to the fantasy scrape-heap and use his roster spot for someone else that will drive you crazy...this year is make or break for him, no more excuses.
Owner is offering me Smith plus a 2nd round pick for Chase Edmonds. I like him but they never use him. 

Interesting deal...who are your current TE's (you are getting Smith and the 2...right?)?
I own Kittle/Goedert/Jarwin currently. I'm not super confident Goedert can repeat what he did last year (a lot of players were hurt last year in philly) and Jarwin is a big question mark at the moment. 

I own Kittle/Goedert/Jarwin currently. I'm not super confident Goedert can repeat what he did last year (a lot of players were hurt last year in philly) and Jarwin is a big question mark at the moment. 
If you don't own Drake then the deal makes sense...you get the dice roll with Smith as well as a #2 which you should be able to at least get another Edmondesque-level player or maybe you really hit on it...or you have a pretty nice asset that could put you over the top for another deal.

urron Davenport @TDavenport_NFL

#Titans TE coach Todd Downing on Jonnu Smith's vast skill set: He makes it fun. When you have a guy on your offense that can do so many things you can be creative and find ways to get him touches.

https://twitter.com/tdavenport_nfl/status/1293985568045621249?s=21
I didn't like this.

Reporters can't say what's happening but it seemed pretty obvious by the WR quotes that they were working toward the 3 WR set that they claimed to be last year. Why do you have to be creative to find your starting TE touches?

I'd have enjoyed the quote last year but this year....it makes me hmmm

I haven't read anything to get all excited about. 

They might run their big offense more but he's lined out wide blocking then. At FB, he might get a few more carries. I'd have rather read that he's no longer playing FB.

I'd draft him before that group of meh tight ends (8th? 10th?) but ...it's just not exciting.

I haven't read anything to get all excited about. 

They might run their big offense more but he's lined out wide blocking then. At FB, he might get a few more carries. I'd have rather read that he's no longer playing FB.

I'd draft him before that group of meh tight ends (8th? 10th?) but ...it's just not exciting.
Is it not exciting in redraft to get a TE9 five rounds later at ADP TE17?

I took him at 8.08 in an FPC draft a couple weeks ago. That is TE premium. It was one of the few panicky picks I've made in drafts. I didn't have a good backup plan there and just got sniped (wanted Hurst). I like Smith there as my first TE taken but I intend to start Herndon who I took in the 10th.

Is it not exciting in redraft to get a TE9 five rounds later at ADP TE17?
Ya gotta understand Delanie was injured two years ago and had a phantom injury last year. Jonnu has been getting starting TE1 reps for a huge chunk of the last two seasons. Everyone is acting like this was a torch passed and he is a new starter.

Reports are he's still playing FB in spots over Blasingame and Firkser has way too many highlight catches mentioned. It 100 percent reads like last year so why is everyone jumping to some big increase in stats? I guess I could buy into some small increase in rushing stats.

Ya gotta understand Delanie was injured two years ago and had a phantom injury last year. Jonnu has been getting starting TE1 reps for a huge chunk of the last two seasons. Everyone is acting like this was a torch passed and he is a new starter.

Reports are he's still playing FB in spots over Blasingame and Firkser has way too many highlight catches mentioned. It 100 percent reads like last year so why is everyone jumping to some big increase in stats? I guess I could buy into some small increase in rushing stats.
Sorry. My interpretation was you thought Smith was solid for a TE8-10 finish, but that didn't get you excited. Just pointing out that I could get very excited about that type of production at his current draft price.

As far as a "huge jump in stats," even Delanie Walker didn't start producing until his 8th or 9th year. Takes time for most TE's to develop. Agree that Jonnu got a bunch of TE1 reps last year, but most of them coincided with the dominance of Henry. Plus Tannehill was new and maybe they hadn't yet developed chemistry. Who knows. 

In any event, I'm looking it at the situation fresh. 1) Traditional reliance on TE by Titans + 2) complete removal of Walker + 3) reasonably full offseason with coaches and Tannehill + 4) massive and continually developing raw talent + 5) low-end alternative WR options + 6) Titans' D potentially taking a step or two backward leading to more Titans O passing (I read your thoughtful posts in the IDP thread and you make some good arguments).

65-750 receiving, 50-100 yds rushing, 6 TD's and a Top 10 TE finish for Jonnu is very, very doable IMO.

ESPN's Turron Davenport believes Jonnu Smith is "the player most likely to experience a breakout season for the Titans."

Smith has the athleticism and now has the starting role to have a career-best season. Currently being drafted as a mid-range fantasy TE2, Smith needs to earn more targets to crack the TE1 borderline in standard-sized leagues. The Titans are expected to finish bottom-five in total pass attempts and A.J. Brown figures to soak up a large share of them. If Smith earns those secondary looks, he's an obvious breakout candidate. For now, it's best to treat him as a TE2.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Sep 2, 2020, 2:21 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread