What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Jonnu Smith, Miami (3 Viewers)

An NFC executive told ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler he views Jonnu Smith as a “top-five” tight end.

With Delanie Walker gone, Smith has an every-down role for the first time in his career. He spent the offseason as the only pass catcher working out with Ryan Tannehill in South Florida. Smith caught 29-of-35 targets for 342 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games with Tannehill last year, and there’s potential for a big Week 1 role with Corey Davis playing through a hamstring injury. Denver’s secondary allowed the sixth-most receptions and fourth-most yards to tight ends in 2019.

SOURCE: ESPN

Sep 12, 2020, 11:37 AM ET

Jonnu Smith caught 4-of-7 targets for 36 yards and one touchdown in the Titans' Week 1 win over the Broncos.

An after-the-catch artist, Smith's longest gain went for 22 yards on a ball Ryan Tannehill dumped off to his tight end at the line of scrimmage. The seven targets were third on the team behind both Corey Davis and A.J. Brown, who each had eight. Smith was the one who caught a touchdown, though, securing a one-yarder on a wide-open play-action fake at the goal line. Smith is a popular breakout candidate at tight end and answered the call in Week 1. He gets a plus draw for Week 2 against the Jaguars.

Sep 15, 2020, 2:44 AM ET

Guy looks really good out there. Not sure there the targets will be there consistently because Tannehill probably won't be throwing as much as he did last night and Brown will eat up his share (and maybe Davis if he wasn't just a one-game flash). But you could do a lot worse at a sparse position. 

Guy looks really good out there. Not sure there the targets will be there consistently because Tannehill probably won't be throwing as much as he did last night and Brown will eat up his share (and maybe Davis if he wasn't just a one-game flash). But you could do a lot worse at a sparse position. 
yep this

Brown not seen at practise and Davis limited with hamstring :popcorn:

An NFC executive told ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler he views Jonnu Smith as a “top-five” tight end.

With Delanie Walker gone, Smith has an every-down role for the first time in his career. He spent the offseason as the only pass catcher working out with Ryan Tannehill in South Florida. Smith caught 29-of-35 targets for 342 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games with Tannehill last year, and there’s potential for a big Week 1 role with Corey Davis playing through a hamstring injury. Denver’s secondary allowed the sixth-most receptions and fourth-most yards to tight ends in 2019.

SOURCE: ESPN

Sep 12, 2020, 11:37 AM ET
Good call, "NFC Executive".

Jonnu Smith caught 4-of-5 targets for 84 yards and two touchdowns in the Titans' Week 1 win over Jacksonville.

Smith had a 62-yard catch on the opening play of the game. He scored later that drive and added another red-zone TD in the second quarter. Smith had just two catches for eight yards with the Titans protecting a lead after halftime. He looked to be Ryan Tannehill's No. 1 option with A.J. Brown  (knee) sitting out, leading the Titans in receiving and finishing behind only Adam Humphries (6) in targets. Smith has 120 yards and three touchdowns through two games. He's a TE1 for a Week 3 matchup with the Vikings.

Sep 20, 2020, 5:51 PM ET

CBS

Titans' Jonnu Smith: Sits out practice Wednesday

34 mins ago

Smith (ankle) didn't practice Wednesday, Erik Bacharach of The Tennessean reports.

Smith logged 54 of a possible 62 snaps on offense in Week 2's win over the Jaguars, en route to hauling in four of his five targets for 84 yards and two TDs, so it's possible that his practice reps are simply being managed to start the week. Smith's return to the field Thursday, in any capacity, would support that notion and put him on track to serve as Tennessee's top tight end Sunday against the Vikings.

Jonnu Smith caught 5-of-8 targets for 61 yards in the Titans' Week 3 win over the Vikings.

Smith led the team in targets after hanging a 4-84-2 line on the Jaguars last week. He's been the biggest pass-game beneficiary in the absence of A.J. Brown (knee) the last two weeks. Smith has been a bright spot at tight end and has earned every-week TE1 treatment ahead of a Week 4 date with the stingy Steelers.

Sep 27, 2020, 5:21 PM ET

Jonnu Smith caught 5-of-7 targets for 40 yards and two touchdowns in the Titans' Week 5 win over the Bills.

A tough matchup on paper became easier when Bills LB Matt Milano was ruled out. Smith was left wide open on multiple occasions, including his second touchdown when he broke free after Ryan Tannehill scrambled out of the pocket. Smith managers should be thankful that play counted because it appeared that Tannehill had passed the line of scrimmage. Either way, Smith looks like one of the most physically dominant tight ends in football right now. If Corey Davis and Adam Humphries miss another game (COVID-19), Smith's floor and ceiling are raised to mid-range TE1 levels. 

Oct 13, 2020, 10:31 PM ET

Can't complain although have a feeling he's going to be very TD dependent - he had a fair amount of targets, but Tannehill was looking at Brown all night plus Davis and Humphries will be back soon.

the Kittle owner in our league sat him this week, lost by less than 2

neat hobby
Kittle owner here who sat J. Smith. Tempted to roll the dice over Kittle this week (but I bet I wont).

I absolutely hate keeping two TEs. I drafted J. Smith because I felt there was serious value where I nabbed him and now I'm loving having the TE insurance, the potential for a flex play, and certainly a trade chip if I run into issues at other positions.

Come to think of it, it's probably a great time to trade Smith right now if you have either Kittle or Kelce.

Jonnu Smith (quad) returned to Titans practice on Thursday, getting in a limited session. 

Although he is listed with an injury designation, Smith was amongst a wave of Titans players who received what amounted to a rest day on Wednesday following Tuesday's blowout win over the Bills. One of the only young tight ends to actually emerge out of this year's hyped group, Smith is beginning to look like a top-five weekly option. 

Oct 15, 2020, 4:06 PM ET

Anyone trade for him in redraft. Trying to figure out his value. I own Gesecki but not sure the TDs are coming there and am strong most other places. Would like to try and upgrade.

Drafted Kittle in round 2 and Smith late.

Was originally thinking of dangling J. Smith, but now I'm thinking...wait a minute...maybe I can trade Kittle for more and just stick with Jonnu.
I have both as well and I can see Jonnu outscoring Kittle this year.

Been my saving grace this year with CMC injured, Godwin injured and Lamar underperforming. Helping me stay afloat until things get straightened out. Hoping he can keep it up.

I have both as well and I can see Jonnu outscoring Kittle this year.
Whaaaaaaaaat?
There’s no better NFL TE, but not sure the fantasy points will always follow due to the SF offense. The 15 catch game was a thing of beauty, but that was with Mullens and Beathard force feeding him. 

With a run-heavy scheme, a healthy Samuel and the addition of Aiyuk, that’s a lot of mouths to feed. Unfortunately his offensive system isn’t anything like Kelce has.

Jonnu Smith caught 1-of-2 targets for 13 yards before leaving Tennessee's Week 6 game against the Texans with a left ankle injury. 

Smith limped off the field and slammed down his helmet in the first half. He spent some time getting re-taped and trying to get warmed back up, but he was never spotted again after being announced as "questionable." Smith battled an ankle issue earlier this season but did not miss any time. With their bye week passed and the Steelers on tap for Week 7, Smith's loss for any amount of time would be huge for the Titans and fantasy managers alike. Smith entered today with five scores in four games, and is quickly establishing himself as a top-five TE1.  

Oct 18, 2020, 3:53 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Titans TE Jonnu Smith's ankle sprain is considered "minor." 

Smith caught 1-of-2 targets for 13 yards before leaving Tennessee's Week 6 game against the Texans before exiting with the injury. Blocking TE Anthony Firkser went on to catch eight passes for 113 yards and a touchdown, tilting Smith drafters into oblivion. Fantasy managers should keep an eye on Smith's practice status this week. It sounds like he avoided a log-term injury. Firkser would be a streaming option in deeper formats if Smith is out this week against the Steelers. 

RELATED: 

Anthony Firkser

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Oct 19, 2020, 12:54 PM ET

Jonnu Smith (ankle) was limited in Wednesday's practice.

After Smith was forced from Week 6 against the Texans and didn't return, it was reported his ankle sprain was minor. Starting the week off with a limited practice is a good sign for his Week 7 availability against the Steelers, but he's unlikely to be at 100 percent.

Oct 21, 2020, 4:38 PM ET

Adding Firkser if Jonnu happens to miss is not the worst idea compared to some other streamers.  But a limited practice on a Wed suggests to me Jonnu will try to go.

Jonnu Smith (ankle) was upgraded to "full" for Thursday's practice. 

It means that, even if he's less than 100 percent, Smith will be active for Sunday's potential shootout with the Steelers. Despite the health question marks, an active Smith will be a top-five Smith in fantasy.  

Oct 22, 2020, 4:27 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread