What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Rise and Fall of ESPN (1 Viewer)

And you're mis-characterizing my comments. I did not suggest that Maria Taylor was given a job because she is black. (Unlike Robinson, who seemingly was.) I am saying there should be nothing wrong with speculating that diversity was a factor that contributed to her promotion. And that perhaps some people should relax when this speculation is given a voice, especially considering the existence of affirmative action and diversity hiring policies.
Do you know why there is affirmative action and diversity hiring policies?

I think what she said was bad. It's not like ESPN went to her and said we're giving Maria this gig to make up for past transgressions with respect to diversity and representation. Nichols made the race inference all on her own. Maybe ESPN just thought Taylor would be better at the job? As others have pointed out, given the public image Nichols has cultivated, it's a really bad look for her to go immediately to race just because she got a demotion. 

I totally get the Nichols feels like her privacy was violated, but she was dumb to use company assets to have this kind of a conversation. Pick up your cell phone. 
Not that hard.

That anyone watches espn for anything is mind boggling. 
This.

/endthread

ESPN+ is a necessity for soccer fans - it carries MLS, Serie A, FA Cup, Concacaf, English Championship and Bundesliga games (and others).  Also good for Rugby and college football. My nephew plays at an FCS school in the MVC and I can watch most of his games live on ESPN.  The 30/30 and documentary specials are a bonus.  This is fantastic value for me at $6 per month. I've never watched any of the talk shows or highlight shows. I've no idea who either of the two women being discussed here are. 

ESPN+ is a necessity for soccer fans - it carries MLS, Serie A, FA Cup, Concacaf, English Championship and Bundesliga games (and others).  Also good for Rugby and college football. My nephew plays at an FCS school in the MVC and I can watch most of his games live on ESPN.  The 30/30 and documentary specials are a bonus.  This is fantastic value for me at $6 per month. I've never watched any of the talk shows or highlight shows. I've no idea who either of the two women being discussed here are. 
This. 

That's why ESPN plus is so staggering in expense to get NFL and fantasy football stuff. It's just going to keep going up, too, isn't it?

Damn.

When somebody says "I never watch ESPN," what they really mean is that they never watch ESPN original programming, not that they don't watch live sports that happen to be broadcast on ESPN.  
Dude said “espn for anything” but :shrug:

I don’t watch any shows myself except for college game day but I’d have to work hard to not know who Taylor and Nichols are. 

Dude said “espn for anything” but :shrug:

I don’t watch any shows myself except for college game day but I’d have to work hard to not know who Taylor and Nichols are. 
I don't know who taylor is. 

Edit: googled and yeah I recognize her but it's not like if I saw her in a broadcast I would have said that's someone famous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a pretty good explainer from Jalen Rose’s kid. 
When did Rachel Nichols laugh about women being sexually assaulted at work? 

When did Rachel Nichols say she was tired of BLM? 

If either of those things happen, that is a game-changer, otherwise that video comes off like another silly Twitter rant by a kid who has her facts wrong. 

I am guessing it is the latter, especially since it is Jalen Rose's daughter. 

I don't think she did.  I think it was Lebon James  agent who said it during a interview with Nichols.
Yeah, I remember that.  Funny how no one is talking about how LBJ's advisor said he was exhausted because of BLM and the metoo movement, which is of course edited out of the latest NY Times clip of the audio.  You can't make this stuff up. 

When did Rachel Nichols laugh about women being sexually assaulted at work? 

When did Rachel Nichols say she was tired of BLM? 

If either of those things happen, that is a game-changer, otherwise that video comes off like another silly Twitter rant by a kid who has her facts wrong. 

I am guessing it is the latter, especially since it is Jalen Rose's daughter. 
Being a past player doesn't mean you'll be good at another profession.

In many cases, it's a fail.

Doesn't ESPN/Disney literally push for progressive equity?

She parroted the company line, and that is somehow wrong

She'll be fired by the end of the week.

Doesn't ESPN/Disney literally push for progressive equity?

She parroted the company line, and that is somehow wrong

She's be fired by the end of the week.
Yep. The more I think about it, the more I think it is obvious that Taylor or people close to her were behind this leak.  With her contract renewal weeks away, this will put pressure on ESPN to pay her big bucks to do a little damage control.  She had that ace in her hand and I am guessing she will have played it perfectly once the smoke clears. 

Yep. The more I think about it, the more I think it is obvious that Taylor or people close to her were behind this leak.  With her contract renewal weeks away, this will put pressure on ESPN to pay her big bucks to do a little damage control.  She had that ace in her hand and I am guessing she will have played it perfectly once the smoke clears. 
She makes a 1M/year, and just turned down 5M.....bingo

Chris B. said:
What's with the wannabe hipsters that think they're too good for ESPN?
Nobody is impressed.
It’s been a very long time for me.  They wanted to go into the topics I watch sports to escape from.  Basically from the ESPY Awards forward, I have watched little from them.  My IPTV fills in the sporting gaps that they don’t want to fill very nicely.  Their lack of hockey coverage was the final straw.  

No clue who this Maria Taylor is either. Maybe they overpay all these NBA coverage types.

I just find it hard to believe they refused to pay content creator and lead MMA media guy Ariel Helwani 500k but yet offered this Maria 5 million.

It’s not like Nichols was taking a public stand here. She was just griping about her bosses and got busted. No worse then someone talking out of their ### at the water cooler and not realizing who was standing behind them. 

It’s not like Nichols was taking a public stand here. She was just griping about her bosses and got busted. No worse then someone talking out of their ### at the water cooler and not realizing who was standing behind them. 
Dumb to do this in a manner that could be captured.  They probably have some hr docs that would say anything you do on that is fair game for action

I think her renewal is in the next week or so.  She could literally walk in the middle of The Finals.  I don't care either way, she'll just be getting max pub when it happens.

She makes a 1M/year, and just turned down 5M.....bingo
The article I read this morning said Disney is tightening their purse strings, so the most she can probably expect is an offer close to 2-3 million. Way to turn a dollar into two quarters.

They should just let her walk and take Jalen with her. I met him once when he was a rookie playing for the Nuggets.  He was doing an autograph season after an exhibition practice session. He was pretty much a jerk to everyone there. 

They already know who leaked it. 

I made a statement earlier in the thread that Nichols should have just picked up her cell phone - apparently she did, but she left a company webcam or microphone on, and that's what captured the call and caused it to be uploaded to ESPN's servers where anyone could find it. 

The more this one marinates the more I don't think Nichols is going to make it. I listened to the audio and it's just not a good look for her all things considered. 

She'll get another job I'm sure, I don't think she should be banned from the industry or anything, but I can't blame ESPN if they decide she should go somewhere else for awhile. I also don't think the story reflects all that well on Taylor for what it's worth. Refusing to have a dialogue with Nichols about it seems counterproductive. 

The article I read this morning said Disney is tightening their purse strings, so the most she can probably expect is an offer close to 2-3 million. Way to turn a dollar into two quarters.

They should just let her walk and take Jalen with her. I met him once when he was a rookie playing for the Nuggets.  He was doing an autograph season after an exhibition practice session. He was pretty much a jerk to everyone there. 

Guy opened up a charter school for youth in Detroit that has sent 500 kids to college. But sure hang onto your misconceptions from 20 years ago. 

https://www.jrladetroit.com

I think her renewal is in the next week or so.  She could literally walk in the middle of The Finals.  I don't care either way, she'll just be getting max pub when it happens.
But would anyone notice if the people covering the finals for ESPN changed on the fly?  Let's not act like the ESPN crew is Charles, Ernie, Kenny and Shaq. 

They already know who leaked it. 

I made a statement earlier in the thread that Nichols should have just picked up her cell phone - apparently she did, but she left a company webcam or microphone on, and that's what captured the call and caused it to be uploaded to ESPN's servers where anyone could find it. 

The more this one marinates the more I don't think Nichols is going to make it. I listened to the audio and it's just not a good look for her all things considered. 

She'll get another job I'm sure, I don't think she should be banned from the industry or anything, but I can't blame ESPN if they decide she should go somewhere else for awhile. I also don't think the story reflects all that well on Taylor for what it's worth. Refusing to have a dialogue with Nichols about it seems counterproductive. 
Agreed.  ESPN should have told Nichols and Taylor, "Okay, we are all sitting down in a room with the bosses and talking this out until there is a resolution.  Show up or show yourself the door."  ESPN botched this badly, and deserve whatever negative feedback they get from this fallout.  

I only made it through the first minute of the ESPY's horrifically cringy monologue. There were like 20 people in the audience and the host was laughing at his own terrible jokes. What a dumb show.

The only made it through the first minute of the ESPY's horrifically cringy monologue. There were like 20 people in the audience and the host was laughing at his own terrible jokes. What a dumb show.
So it was awful like all of their other programming. It's as if they want to go off the air completely,  which we won't be fortunate enough to witness. To think this crap network now has the NHL is frightening. 

Users who are viewing this thread