What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (1 Viewer)

I'm with you. I don't want to make cauliflower that looks or tastes like rice or potatoes. If I want rice, I'll eat rice. If I want cauliflower, I'll eat cauliflower. No need to make one impersonate the other. I feel the same way about "cauliflower rice" as I do about tofurkey, facon, chik'n nuggets, and non-dairy cheez. They're fakers, all of them.
How often do you crave rice?

Seriously though, cauliflower rice is just a meal ingredient substitution.  I know it doesn't taste like rice, but when you are covering it with the flavors of the rest of the meal, it does its job.

Question about counting macros while deep/pan frying. If I'm sautéing something in butter I'll just use a tablespoon of butter and count that tablespoon on MyFitnessPal and be done with it. But I was thinking about chicken wings at some point and how do you account for the oil? If I fill a pot with a decent amount of oil obviously the chicken doesn't soak it all up so how do you fairly accurately add the oil and whatever comes with it to your macros/food tracking? 

Question about counting macros while deep/pan frying. If I'm sautéing something in butter I'll just use a tablespoon of butter and count that tablespoon on MyFitnessPal and be done with it. But I was thinking about chicken wings at some point and how do you account for the oil? If I fill a pot with a decent amount of oil obviously the chicken doesn't soak it all up so how do you fairly accurately add the oil and whatever comes with it to your macros/food tracking? 
I would try to substitute something similar from a restaurant.  Could you use wings from BWWs as a proxy for the nutrition?

I would try to substitute something similar from a restaurant.  Could you use wings from BWWs as a proxy for the nutrition?
Guess that may be the best option. Can't think of a way I could determine it myself. Hadn't thought of it thanks.

I would think their sauces typically have more carbs than a homemade sauce.  I do a half a stick of butter to about a cup of Frank's - almost zero carbs.  Then I get to use some good blue cheese dressing dip.  

I would think their sauces typically have more carbs than a homemade sauce.  I do a half a stick of butter to about a cup of Frank's - almost zero carbs.  Then I get to use some good blue cheese dressing dip.  
Perhaps leverage the values for unsauced wings from BWW then separately add whatever homemade sauce is used?

Question:

I've been working out three days a week since may, and doing this while keto. I feel like I have absolutely no push, and it's still just a struffle every time. I'm wondering how much no glucose is hurting me for an hour of high intensity circuit work. 

I'm also wondering if anyone has experience with exogenous ketones. Or if I'm interested in performance I'm just going to have to find a different way to eat. I've been listening to the Chris Masterjohn podcast series on it, and it seems like there are some things you just need carbs for to max performance. 

Thoughts? 
Prevailing opinion on exogenous ketones is a big fat NO.

Check out /r/ketogains over at reddit for working out while on keto... I don't have experience, but people seem to know what they're talking about.

Prevailing opinion on exogenous ketones is a big fat NO.

Check out /r/ketogains over at reddit for working out while on keto... I don't have experience, but people seem to know what they're talking about.
Kee, just for clarity, you mean big far NO -- carbs are NOT required for working out?

I'm more and more coming to the conclusion that IF/some short term (1-2 day) fasts, combined with keto and weightlifting, is the ultimate solution for me to get to where I want to be.  I've loosely been doing that and I think my only tweak is I can't have "all you can eat protein," but rather need to restrict my calories too.  Otherwise I'm just bulking up -- adding muscle, decreasing my percentage body fat, but not eliminating body fat.  I want to cut 15lbs of fat or so, and so I think if I add in the concept of watching total calories as well, I'll be golden.

Kee, just for clarity, you mean big far NO -- carbs are NOT required for working out?
He's talking about exogenous ketones.  Not carbs.

Carbs are not "required" to work out... but they theoretically do help world class athletes and body builders.

Ketostix experience/advice... 

I did a water fast from Sunday evening until Wednesday evening.  On Wednesday morning, after 60 hours of fasting, I peed on a ketostix and it came out completely negative... no color change at all.  This morning, after having broken my fast last night with about 500 calories and maybe 10 net carbs, ketostix were deep purple (cue Smoke on the Water).

Point being... their results are useless for determining whether or not you are in ketosis.  No way in hell I wasn't in ketosis after a 60 hour fast.

In other words... don't waste your money.

I've been working out three days a week since may, and doing this while keto. I feel like I have absolutely no push, and it's still just a struffle every time. I'm wondering how much no glucose is hurting me for an hour of high intensity circuit work.
Definitely hurting you a lot for high-intensity work.

Carbs and Sports Performance: The Principles
Carbs and Sports Performance: The Evidence
Did Low Carb Kill the Lakers?

Summary: You can go without carbs for low-intensity endurance activities. But for anything requiring anaerobic metabolism, a lack of muscle glycogen (which comes from glucose, which comes from dietary carbohydrate) will negatively affect performance by quite a bit.

That doesn't mean that your training isn't useful. If you're just training, not competing, you may not care much about current performance in absolute terms. You may care more about relative improvements in performance over time; and training in a carb-depleted state can still lead to such improvements. Then when you eventually add carbs back in, your performance will get a nice bump.

Career training deal next Tuesday.  Manager thinks he is being "cool" by having a "game afternoon" (cornhole each other; volleyball; etc.) catered after the training with this menu: Smoked Salmon on Cream Cheese, Watermelon Feta Mint Salad, BBQ Brisket mini Sandwiches, Chicken & Waffle Bites, Thai Crab Cakes, Fruit Tartlets, Chocolate covered Strawberries and Pound Cake with Strawberry Compote.  

I could do that first one.  The rest of it will (continue to) kill me.  So, what do I do?  Go, and take a Jimmy John's lettuce wrap?  This is my first choice.  Skip it all, and make my manager think I hate him?  Go, and fast?  What would you do?
Just hung out and skipped the meal. Got a Jimmy John's lettuce wrap after. Took a lot of heat but made it thru.

Just hit 30mins of weights in the hotel weight room, which was a piece of crap, but hey, I was there.

Gotta map out a sustainable healthy eating plan now.  I'm thinking it will be low carbs, some calorie restrictions, and 16/8 IF

Had a giant club steak and salad for dinner at my parents yesterday, passed on the potatoes and the red velvet cake.  I am confident that this week will be my last week over 200 lbs.

Currently at 200.4 as of this morning and off to mow the lawn in 30 minutes.  The a leisurely pool day and a long walk planned for this evening.
13 lbs down since this post.  I have had a pretty solid experience so far with Keto and walking. 

Gotta map out a sustainable healthy eating plan now.  
Seriously? 7  months in and now you're doing this? 

;)

You obviously travel a lot and that adds to the need for structure. Robb Wolf put it just right imo, "you have 21 meals for the week, don't be an ####### to your body for 18 of them" . That doesn't mean get endless bread sticks at Olive Garden once per week either...

You know your schedule at least weekly, right? So plan it out before hand and know when you have lunch meetings and be extra lean on either side of that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No regrets but been a bad week eating wise for me - gave myself too many allowances - 

Monday - wife had dinner with friends so took the kids to burger restaurant that the wife doesn't care for - I happily indulged, though no fries, I did allow myself two fried mac and cheese balls

Tuesday - I actually ended up pretty much fasting the entire day - may have had a small handful of almonds, but was a hectic day and never ate

Wednesday - Wife gone with kids for the day, so on way home from work I decided to stop at a local sandwich place I like, that again my wife does not care for - but as I was quite hungry based on essentially being on a 40 hour fast, I mentally gave in and ordered both of my favorite sandwiches - I demolished them with no regrets at the time.... but my wife had also made brownies the night before, there were some left and they were perfectly slightly undercooked.... and instead of just one small corner, I had 3 good sized brownies... now I had regret...but it was tasty regret

Thursday - My nephew's last night in town before flying home to Florida this morning (he and my oldest (12 years old) just got back from a 12 day adventure in Alaska with their grandmother, so went down to see him after work. They had ordered pizza from a local joint that is quite good. I had planned to just have some salad and maybe the toppings of a slice of pizza.... three slices later, crust and all, had some tasty regret.

Friday - Back on it today..... I'm already mentally upping myself for a tough gym session after work to make up for the not so healthy albeit extremely tasty eating this week -

Hoping to not pay for it on the scale too badly, but as long as I jump back on it and stay good this next week I should be good to go.... Next weekend is my anniversary, so one night will be for indulgence, and the week after that we are on the road visiting my family, so I know there will be some temptations along the way.

Just needed to get that out....... 

Has anybody had any issues with a really dry mouth? I've been going low carb for about 5 weeks and have had the worst dry mouth for the last 2-3 weeks and getting self-conscious about my breath. Has anyone had this experience? Does it get any better? Also I haven't had any uninterrupted sleep in about a month either. Sleep about 3-4 hours and then wide awake for a few hours then sleep another 2-3 hours. Can i add something to my diet to fix these issues? The good news is I'm down 12 pounds and my clothes are starting to fit again. I'd hate to give this up as i feel like I'm in a good groove but the cotton mouth and sleep issues are a PitA. I'm drinking a ton of water.

;)

You obviously travel a lot and that adds to the need for structure. Robb Wolf put it just right imo, "you have 21 meals for the week, don't be an ####### to your body for 18 of them" . That doesn't mean get endless bread sticks at Olive Garden once  week either...

You know your schedule at least weekly, right? So plan it out before hand and know when you have lunch meetings and be extra lean on either side of that. 
Good suggestions.  I know GB.  I'm not good at this.

Has anybody had any issues with a really dry mouth? I've been going low carb for about 5 weeks and have had the worst dry mouth for the last 2-3 weeks and getting self-conscious about my breath. Has anyone had this experience? Does it get any better? Also I haven't had any uninterrupted sleep in about a month either. Sleep about 3-4 hours and then wide awake for a few hours then sleep another 2-3 hours. Can i add something to my diet to fix these issues? The good news is I'm down 12 pounds and my clothes are starting to fit again. I'd hate to give this up as i feel like I'm in a good groove but the cotton mouth and sleep issues are a PitA. I'm drinking a ton of water.
Not sure I can help with the dry mouth, I think that is a pretty common thing though with low carb - I drink about 1.5-2 gallons of water a day and seem to pee just as much, but I still find I get dry mouth/thirsty throughout the day.

As far as the sleep, can try some melatonin - I find it definitely helps and I don;t wake up groggy if I do use it.

;)

You obviously travel a lot and that adds to the need for structure. Robb Wolf put it just right imo, "you have 21 meals for the week, don't be an ####### to your body for 18 of them" . That doesn't mean get endless bread sticks at Olive Garden once per week either...

Could you unpack this for me?  Was he advocating a cheat day?  Or a few moderate meals that are difficult to avoid?

I'm no expert but I have been in ketosis before and the mouth/breath definitely sounds like ketosis.  Your breath starts to reek.

I really need to get serious about this. 

Why doesnt some company make and deliver the perfect meals?  Like with keto but just the right amount of carbs for working out and brain function etc to preserve muscle gains?  I'd pay through the nose for premade meals for 2 months. "Just eat what we send you Otis for two months and you'll make your goals."  How hard is that?

Anyone else have it? Did it go away?
I mentioned earlier in this thread (or I think it was this thread) that I have constant chapped lips while on Keto.  Still going on - I pretty much carry chapstick all the time now.  Haven't had issue with dry mouth but I'm drinking a decent amount of water.

JAMES! said:
Anyone else have it? Did it go away?
I notice my breath after a long walk/run - has a smell that reminds me of kerosene.  Goes away fairly quickly in my case.  I haven't noticed excessive dry mouth, but I always have a drink with me.

facook said:
Could you unpack this for me?  Was he advocating a cheat day?  Or a few moderate meals that are difficult to avoid?
No, he's against whole cheat days. Just because you have one bad meal one day doesn't mean the other meals that day have to be bad. 

Get the mindset of entire days off out of your head and focus on good meals before and after your cheat meals.

No, he's against whole cheat days. Just because you have one bad meal one day doesn't mean the other meals that day have to be bad. 

Get the mindset of entire days off out of your head and focus on good meals before and after your cheat meals.
Yeah, that's NOT my mindset. I haven't cheated with even one item, let alone a meal.  I'm just trying to get an idea of what he's advocating.  Sounds more like he's saying once in a while you're gonna have a meal you shouldn't.  Don't compound that.

I find myself drinking a ton of water and diet Dr. Pepper. I am always thirsty.

Why doesnt some company make and deliver the perfect meals?  Like with keto but just the right amount of carbs for working out and brain function etc to preserve muscle gains?  I'd pay through the nose for premade meals for 2 months. "Just eat what we send you Otis for two months and you'll make your goals."  How hard is that?
I would make the meals myself if they came out with a book or calendar that said make these 20ish meals for all your meals the next couple months. I do better when it is all organized instead of trying to figure it out as I go.

Do they not have meal prep service in ny?  Hell there are like 8 in dallas ffs. 

Do they not have meal prep service in ny?  Hell there are like 8 in dallas ffs. 
Then Otis has to figure out what to order and when to eat it. He wants a place to carry the Keto version. He calls them up says I will take Keto package 3 and 5. They ship out the meals with numbers on them and he eats them 1 through 180 and doesn't have to count the carbs. 

Then Otis has to figure out what to order and when to eat it. He wants a place to carry the Keto version. He calls them up says I will take Keto package 3 and 5. They ship out the meals with numbers on them and he eats them 1 through 180 and doesn't have to count the carbs. 
it's just another excuse for our gb...losing weight isn't important to him yet. 

"but on the menu the deserts are right there in front of you, so I HAD TO TRY ONE FIVE"

Have been eating too much the last couple of days.  Staying away from processed foods but I have just been really hungry. I lost a lot of momentum from that Saturday night pizza and I am struggling to get back there.  Hoping to hit the coffee in the morning and some IF to get my mojo back. 

Have been eating too much the last couple of days.  Staying away from processed foods but I have just been really hungry. I lost a lot of momentum from that Saturday night pizza and I am struggling to get back there.  Hoping to hit the coffee in the morning and some IF to get my mojo back. 

this is my move, too. After busy eating weekends/days i like to fast. Mentally it's easier for me to say no food rather than just a little food. Then I get back to feeling normal and normal keto eating resumes. 

Fell off the wagon last night and had a bunch of pizza.  I have been fairly clean as of late, so hopefully it is nothing more than a blip on the slow downward trend.

The best thing about this diet is that it is not much of a sacrifice so it is easy to get back on the wagon.  In the old days, when I was suffering with a typical limited calorie restriction, trying to eat healthy, etc etc, I would have a night like this, realize what I was missing, and give up.  Here, it is "OK, I had some pizza and it was good, but tomorrow it is back to steak and cheese."  

Users who are viewing this thread