What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (1 Viewer)

Looks like some great options but the price is like eating out.  

I am a month in and starting to look for new stuff.  What are your go to meals.   I can do sea food but allergic to shrimp but I feel like I am rolling the dice trying to eat any seafood.
You can get pretty crazy with Mexican food if you dig the low carb tortillas.  Beef, chicken, steak, cheese, sour cream, salsa are all low carb

You can get pretty crazy with Mexican food if you dig the low carb tortillas.  Beef, chicken, steak, cheese, sour cream, salsa are all low carb
I wouldn't imagine so since it's simple math/science and the carbs minus the fiber is the net carbs but is there any fear at all with some of the low carb tortillas for whatever reason. I've had some that are pretty relatively high in carbs but just have an almost equal amount of fiber. I guess bottom line as long as the carbs and fiber are accurate you can just trust the net carbs almost regardless of total carbs? 

It just almost feels wrong eating somethig with so many carbs even though I realize the fiber isn't injested or whatever the term is.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ketorecipes/ is a good resource

I eat eggs for breakfast almost every day.

Low carb wraps (look for 5g net carbs w tuna or lunch meat) 

Dinner usually salad is fine for me.

I'm a little unique in that routine and the same thing every doesnt bother me.  After about 10-14 days you'll start to think of food as just something you have to eat to stay alive and healthy as opposed to something satisfying or the craving for something bad for you
Disagree with this, but it may be that it is because I am substituting for things I used to crave.  I have Zevia pop, because it is carb free, and not the tradition diet pop poisons.  I treat myself to a little chocolate every now and then.  Maybe those prevent me from getting to that state.

As far as go to meals for me, supper is usually a salad and meat.  I prefer to get steak or chicken and throw it on the grill, needs little dressing up when I do that.  I'll also do a burger without the bun, melt some cheese on it, top with traditional burger toppings (tomato, mayo, etc that are Keto friendly) and eat with a fork and knife.  Delicious to me.

My wife made a "breakfast lasagna" the other night that was great.  No, it is not an italian dish to curb the noodle cravings, just layers of breakfast stuff.  It has sliced ham, scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, and a sausage gravy which was just browned sausage, cream cheese, beef broth, and S&P cooked together.  In a 9x13, put a little gravy down, then a layer of ham, then eggs, more gravy, cheese, ham, eggs, gravy, ham, cheese.  Bake it all together.  It was pretty awesome.  There are a lot of casserole type dishes that can be made keto friendly.

I am having trouble sticking with the Keto this time around. I go a week on it and then something comes up or I get a craving and go off for a week, then I start the next week and am good Sunday, Monday Tuesday, but then the rest of the week I am not good. The good news is that since I first tried this back in April I am down 14 lbs and even with the ups and downs recently I am still down 14 lbs. Anyone got an tips or tricks that help them stay on? Maybe I need another vacation in like 4 to 6 weeks to motivate me.

I just do the meat, cheese, salsa, guac, sour cream on a plate and use a fork.  Or I go to Chipotle and get the same things in a bowl on top of romaine.  

Meat, cheese, and salsa on top of a giant bowl of broccoli is a staple in my diet - just broccoli and salsa if I'm in a hurry.

Disagree with this, but it may be that it is because I am substituting for things I used to crave.  I have Zevia pop, because it is carb free, and not the tradition diet pop poisons.  I treat myself to a little chocolate every now and then.  Maybe those prevent me from getting to that state.

As far as go to meals for me, supper is usually a salad and meat.  I prefer to get steak or chicken and throw it on the grill, needs little dressing up when I do that.  I'll also do a burger without the bun, melt some cheese on it, top with traditional burger toppings (tomato, mayo, etc that are Keto friendly) and eat with a fork and knife.  Delicious to me.

My wife made a "breakfast lasagna" the other night that was great.  No, it is not an italian dish to curb the noodle cravings, just layers of breakfast stuff.  It has sliced ham, scrambled eggs, shredded cheese, and a sausage gravy which was just browned sausage, cream cheese, beef broth, and S&P cooked together.  In a 9x13, put a little gravy down, then a layer of ham, then eggs, more gravy, cheese, ham, eggs, gravy, ham, cheese.  Bake it all together.  It was pretty awesome.  There are a lot of casserole type dishes that can be made keto friendly.
This sounds amazing.

Can you give some details on how she cooked?  I'm a recipe guy...

facook said:
Please report back.  6 grams for a small pita?  That would be HUGE for a guy like me that loves sandwiches.
They get a thumb's up from me.  Even their regular ones only have one more gram of carbs.

Thanks for sharing - looks yummy.  I may try to tweak to replace some protein with extra fat.  
Ya, its definitely not the type of recipe you have to make exactly as it calls for.  There's plenty of room for tinkering.

Also, when layering the gravy, if you let it thicken, you need to apply sparingly.  Don't worry about there not being enough, it re-liquifies in the over (and microwave).

I also might add a little sage myself next time, or use a spicy sausage.  While it was great, I also like a little more seasoning in my dish than my wife does.

I recommended the Chef'd meals last night here because they put the net carb count on their website and there is no subscription to sign up.  It's all a la carte - pick from 40 meals or so and order it.  I made the Chicken Picatta tonight and Curry Chicken last night.

Fantastic stuff.  I can't recommend this meal delivery service enough if you're doing the keto and desperate for convenience and inspiration.

I recommended the Chef'd meals last night here because they put the net carb count on their website and there is no subscription to sign up.  It's all a la carte - pick from 40 meals or so and order it.  I made the Chicken Picatta tonight and Curry Chicken last night.

Fantastic stuff.  I can't recommend this meal delivery service enough if you're doing the keto and desperate for convenience and inspiration.
Link

I am having trouble sticking with the Keto this time around. I go a week on it and then something comes up or I get a craving and go off for a week, then I start the next week and am good Sunday, Monday Tuesday, but then the rest of the week I am not good. The good news is that since I first tried this back in April I am down 14 lbs and even with the ups and downs recently I am still down 14 lbs. Anyone got an tips or tricks that help them stay on? Maybe I need another vacation in like 4 to 6 weeks to motivate me.
What are the cravings/issues coming up that you can't handle?

https://www.chefd.com/

Let me know if you need help navigating the menu. I cant attest that when they get your credit card, there are no ongoing charges or any of the other bull#### with the other sites . Pick the meals that look good to you, order them, they arrive, cook them, eat them.  Order more if you want.  The net carb count is below EVERY recipe when you're ordering.  

That's it.

This place is a godsend.

PS I have no affiliation with these guys whatsoever, and I have no referral code or anything else, just trying to help out fellow KetoGuys

Try those old people candies you can find at CVS in the green wrappers. Cant even tell the difference between those and real candy,  Also, I eat an Atkins Pretzel Peanut Butter granola bar for breakfast every morning.  Tastes just like the real thing and 3 grams of net carbs - the same amount as 2 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon.  There are a lot of options out there for the sweet tooth cravings

msudaisy26 said:
I have tried,  but a handful of blueberries hasn't done the trick. 
How about an apple or orange?  They won't exactly for the macros for that day, but they are going to taste super sweet and you'll feel better about putting something good into your body vs junk. 

I had a pear on a hot summer day a few weeks ago after going a few weeks without cheating. It was heavenly and satisfied my craving. 

John Bender said:
https://www.chefd.com/

Let me know if you need help navigating the menu. I cant attest that when they get your credit card, there are no ongoing charges or any of the other bull#### with the other sites . Pick the meals that look good to you, order them, they arrive, cook them, eat them.  Order more if you want.  The net carb count is below EVERY recipe when you're ordering.  

That's it.

This place is a godsend.

PS I have no affiliation with these guys whatsoever, and I have no referral code or anything else, just trying to help out fellow KetoGuys
Just got home and checking out this website. Of course everything looks good, but do you have any favorites? It looks like you can save some money if you buy 4 instead of 2 and I would hate to buy 4 and hate it.

How about an apple or orange?  They won't exactly for the macros for that day, but they are going to taste super sweet and you'll feel better about putting something good into your body vs junk. 

I had a pear on a hot summer day a few weeks ago after going a few weeks without cheating. It was heavenly and satisfied my craving. 
21 net carbs for a medium sized apple.  Yeah, its still good for you, but not if you're trying to get into ketosis or stay there.  

Does the fiber in a food count against the carbs? 

I bought some Chia seeds to throw in my breakfast smoothie. It has 5 carbs and 5 fiber. Does that equal a net of zero carbs? I thought I heard that you can subtract the fiber from the carbs but Im not sure. 

21 net carbs for a medium sized apple.  Yeah, its still good for you, but not if you're trying to get into ketosis or stay there.  
I just asked a question and this would pertain. If you subtract the fiber from the apple carbs its better, correct?

I believe this is why its better to eat the fruit than drink the fruit juice.

I bought some Chia seeds to throw in my breakfast smoothie. It has 5 carbs and 5 fiber. Does that equal a net of zero carbs? I thought I heard that you can subtract the fiber from the carbs but Im not sure. 
Yeah, fiber doesn't affect your blood sugar so it doesn't count.

Just got home and checking out this website. Of course everything looks good, but do you have any favorites? It looks like you can save some money if you buy 4 instead of 2 and I would hate to buy 4 and hate it.
Chicken Picatta for sure (only 8 gram of carbs per serving and the portion sizes are considerable) - also, have a lemon on hand, add the juice of half a lemon to to the recipe.

Chicken Curry was also quite good.

Asian Steak salad

I'll try to go through my order history and let you know of anymore

yes - 0 net carbs, and that is what you care about.

I'm not saying people on the keto diet should add fruit daily.  What I'm saying is that cravings happen, and I would suggest trying an apple before going on a pizza/skittle/everything in sight splurge.  The apple will probably be very enjoyable and curb the cravings, and will be much better for your body that putting in processed junk.

I think everyone's body and response to this diet is different.  My wife makes a fruit smoothie for breakfast every day which I think is way to high in carbs, but then goes the rest of the day without carbs and has long almost 20 lbs.  I don't think I could do that, but I've had fruit here and there to satisfy cravings, and I'm down 25 lbs since May.

To satisfy a craving I would always suggest a whole food that is going to do the trick than processed garbage.  I get that it might prevent you from meeting your macros for that day, but I'm convinced it will help you meet your goal the next day and keep the weight dropping that eating giant bag of skittles.

Berries seems OK but you Def gotta keep the amount in check. 

Getting off the diet just for 1 day, I know seems rewarding, but man it really sets you back days. You have to practically start over. And it never ends w just one cheat, at least in my opinion. 

Getting off the diet just for 1 day, I know seems rewarding, but man it really sets you back days. You have to practically start over. And it never ends w just one cheat, at least in my opinion. 
Hasn't been my experience.  Maybe it depends on your goals, and the rate you want to see weight go down. :shrug:  

I agree that having a free meal can be dangerous.  I have a big advantage in that my wife is fully on board, and we are working together on what we eat.  Tonight will be our second free meal in 2 months, and we've been planning on it for about 3 weeks.  We are taking our son out for Thai food and then getting blizzards from Dairy Queen. (Whited out so as not to throw temptation around in here.)   :)   Having a free meal to look forward to has really helped me withstand the cravings that come about now and then.

Anyway, I guess my point would be if I was on my own, eating that meal tonight would probably screw me.  But because we're working together I know that I can have eggs and sausage tomorrow morning and I won't have "cheated" tonight, I'll just be continuing my personal plan.

I'm a bullet point kind of guy when it comes to this, since most of the scientificy talk is over my head, but I like the sound of this:

Interpretation

High carbohydrate intake was associated with higher risk of total mortality, whereas total fat and individual types of fat were related to lower total mortality. Total fat and types of fat were not associated with cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction, or cardiovascular disease mortality, whereas saturated fat had an inverse association with stroke. Global dietary guidelines should be reconsidered in light of these findings.

Looking to try canned sardines.  This recipe for Fisherman's Eggs looks pretty yummy.  I also plan to try them straight out of the can with a fork.  

Anyone have a good experience with canned sardines or other canned fish?

May have to take the plunge back into this. Been lifting heavy and doing creatine and eating whatever I desire. Built up some good muscle and strength that way, but want to switch into a cutting phase now. I'm thinking keto is probably the best diet for doing that while not losing muscle mass. 

Launching in after Labor Day.  Have to remember the ropes again. As I remember it, generally it was eat eggs and bacon and cheese and meat and veggies and drink a lot of water and basically that's it.  Oh and don't drink beer but booze is OK. 

IN

Looking to try canned sardines.  This recipe for Fisherman's Eggs looks pretty yummy.  I also plan to try them straight out of the can with a fork.  

Anyone have a good experience with canned sardines or other canned fish?
I eat these fairly regularly. i get them at Costco. I like them.

https://jet.com/product/detail/978349f915a4416c96924c5507431677?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_cons_Gen_Grocery_a1:Grocery_Canned_Jarred_Food_Canned_Meat_Seafood_a1:na:PLA_786070968_46630708008_pla-310271839812:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=786070968&is_retargeting=true&clickid=8db7d928-ebbf-47d4-8942-869fca66a163

Otis said:
May have to take the plunge back into this. Been lifting heavy and doing creatine and eating whatever I desire. Built up some good muscle and strength that way, but want to switch into a cutting phase now. I'm thinking keto is probably the best diet for doing that while not losing muscle mass. 

Launching in after Labor Day.  Have to remember the ropes again. As I remember it, generally it was eat eggs and bacon and cheese and meat and veggies and drink a lot of water and basically that's it.  Oh and don't drink beer but booze is OK. 

IN
Tbf. I think you would do better on a intermittent fast protocol. I know it isn't keto like peeing on a stick keto but nobody has really proven there is a difference between IF and keto to me. 

If pure keto need to really think about a full body every day program rather than splits. Again jmho. 

As someone that tried ketogains and was ####### miserable. Let me say there is no free lunch. 

Any of you guys tried Halo Top ice cream?  My local grocer has like 20 different flavors.  I stood there in the aisle, holding a pint of the Pistachio (love pistachio ice cream) and decided to put it back.  Not sure if it's worth it for me to tempt fate, even if it's low sugar/carb, as I'm doing fine without sweets and I'm already on week 6 of the diet.  

Users who are viewing this thread