What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

De'Angelo Henderson, RB, DEN (1 Viewer)

Bronco Billy

Footballguy
Might be too early to tell, but I really like this guy given the situation he is in and that he can be had very late in FF drafts

De'Angelo Henderson - RB -  Broncos

The Denver Post projects sixth-round RB De'Angelo Henderson to make the Broncos' 53-man roster.

It's way too early for projections like this to mean anything, but beat writer Cameron Wolfe says Henderson has already "proven himself too valuable to try to sneak onto the practice squad." The Broncos' backfield depth chart is unsettled short and long term. Extremely productive at Coastal Carolina with 4.48 speed at 208 pounds, Henderson is a name worth monitoring.

From PFF:

De’Angelo Henderson, Coastal Carolina —

Small-schooler who racked up 4,635 yards and 58 scores on the ground at the collegiate level. Short and stout (5-7, 208) build, and has good speed (4.48 40 time). Reminiscent in some ways to Maurice Jones Drew. Strong receiver. He caught 97 balls over the last four years. Will be stepping up in level of competition. He may end up on an NFL roster, but he isn’t likely to be on many fantasy rosters.

From NFL.com

40 YARD DASH: 4.48 SEC

BENCH PRESS: 20 REPS

VERTICAL JUMP: 34.0 INCH

BROAD JUMP: 120.0 INCH

ANALYSIS

Strengths

Has access to an accelerator that gets him around the corner or through the line of scrimmage quickly. Ran a verified 4.49 40 in early 2016. Runs bigger than his listed size. Unafraid to drop the pad level and get it on with would-be tackler. Powerful lower body with balanced base to maintain his feet despite a big hit from an angle. Willing worker between tackles. Runs through initial contact and makes tacklers work for it. Decisive runner. Low center of gravity with sudden, one-cut ability. Prolific at scoring touchdowns. At his best in space. Good pass catcher with long speed and open-field shiftiness to hit the big play out of the backfield. Able to adjust his body to poorly thrown balls. Adequate pass-protection skills.

Weaknesses

Needs to develop better patience between the tackles. Appears to make decisions to grind forward a little too early at times. His creativity as a runner can be a little inconsistent. Has the feet to make defenders miss but doesn't always do it. Squared-up runner who lacks slipperiness to get through tight crevices. Needs work on consistency and technique in pass protection. Doesn't have size to continue taking on tacklers as often as he does at next level. Outstanding production came at lower level of competition.

De'Angelo Henderson is an intriguing small-school prospect, although he is also buried on the Broncos' depth chart.  I have seen the MJD comparisons, as well as a comparison to Devonta Freeman (with more speed).  Cecil Lammey recently compared Henderson to Branden Oliver, and I think that is a pretty fair comparison.  (For the record, I am excited about Oliver, as well.)  

Both CJ Anderson and Jamaal Charles are working their way back from knee injuries, and Devontae Booker's 3.5 ypc rookie season didn't exactly wow anyone (plus he has had knee problems of his own).  Nonetheless, Henderson's opportunities this season will likely be very limited.

It is difficult to envision him getting enough touches in this offense to warrant anything more than a deep dynasty stash or waiver wire watch.  He is someone I will be monitoring closely in camp and preseason.

Well, the Booker injury is going to give us the opportunity to see if this guy can amount to anything.  I'm guessing Anderson and Charles will be limited in practices given their histories.  Giddy up!

Well, the Booker injury is going to give us the opportunity to see if this guy can amount to anything.  I'm guessing Anderson and Charles will be limited in practices given their histories.  Giddy up!
I am going to have flashbacks to Quentin Grififn watching this tiny guy running for the Broncos 

I remember it was one of my first years of fantasy and Q was my under the radar guy. I was so sure he was going to blow up in that Denver system. After week 1 (150 yards, 3TDs) I was convinced I just found the next Barry Sanders. LOL. :hurl: 

I remember it was one of my first years of fantasy and Q was my under the radar guy. I was so sure he was going to blow up in that Denver system. After week 1 (150 yards, 3TDs) I was convinced I just found the next Barry Sanders. LOL. :hurl: 
Q-tip!!

I was right there with you. Maybe not Barry Sanders but I thought I had the next Broncos system RB. The trade offers I turned down for him still sting today.

FWIW, there have been daily glowing reports about Henderson coming from camp so far.  It looks like he is stepping into the opportunity.

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
Well, as long as I'm driving this bus:

During the pre-draft process, Mile High Huddle Senior Draft Analyst Erick Trickel took a shine to a little-known running back out of Coastal Carolina. The Broncos ended up taking De'Angelo Henderson in the sixth round not long after.

At 5-foot-7 and 208 pounds, Henderson is a bowling ball of a running back. But he can do anything an offense requires of him.

If you put on the tape and watch Henderson at CCU, he was the star every time he stepped out onto the field and the focal point of his team's offense. The biggest issue for Henderson, heading into life as a pro, would be finding a way to shine on a stacked running back depth chart.

But when Devontae Booker went down with a wrist injury, Henderson's prospects at making the 53-man roster improved dramatically. And just like halfback dive, he's taken that sliver of daylight and busted it open into a huge hole.

Henderson has been one of the stars of training camp thus far. From the media, to coaches to his fellow players, everyone has been talking about 'Hop' Henderson. He missed a day of work, he hit the ground running upon his return.

“He obviously came back today and he flashed. He’s a quick, explosive, marks out runner. For a shorter, stockier guy, he can get narrow through holes. He’s quick through holes. As a defender, it’s hard to see the guy. He’s behind Menelik Watson, and he makes a cut, that’s a surprise for a linebacker. You watched today. It’s a surprise when he’s in the A, B, and C gap, but you can’t see the little guy. He’s fast through the hole.”

Although Henderson was sidelined for a day with a minor low-ankle sprain, he has continued to produce with the pads on. With his ability as a runner and as a receiver, he has not only a great shot at making the final roster, but also seeing the field, especially on third down. He had some big runs on day 5 of Broncos camp.

“It felt great," Henderson said. "The training staff did a good job of rehabbing me and getting me to where I need to be right now. It felt good getting out there again, just running and cutting.”

C.J. Anderson and Jamaal Charles might be locks to make the roster but De'Angelo Henderson is slowly working his way into that conversation.

Stock: Up

You might be on to something, Billy. He does seem to be getting a lot of attention.

Lundy has noticed the performance of running back De’Angelo Henderson so far in camp, and he’s not the only one. Head coach Vance Joseph has not been shy about his praise for Henderson this summer, causing reason to believe that he could maintain a big role throughout camp. Lundy doesn’t believe the Broncos are sold on their current running back situation. If Henderson continues to perform well in camp, he may force his way onto the field.

Link.

As a C. J. owner I'm going to keep my eye on Henderson........could be decent handcuff a few weeks into season. Worth a late round flyer I think if I've got room come draft day.

Worth noting that reports have been glowing about Anderson too though.  It's Denver.  Reports are always glowing.  Something to do with the altitude and/or weed.
Yeah some of the reports are hysterical like the new HC stating how Anderson is in the "best shape he's been in in four years". As if Vance Joseph was paying any attention to CJ Anderson's conditioning while he was coaching defensive backs in Miami.

With that said, I appreciate this thread as I've become intrigued with Henderson since I'm not a huge Anderson fan, think Charles is likely toast and with Booker missing time already and underwhelming last season. I just wish I owned a piece of him somewhere.

Yeah some of the reports are hysterical like the new HC stating how Anderson is in the "best shape he's been in in four years". As if Vance Joseph was paying any attention to CJ Anderson's conditioning while he was coaching defensive backs in Miami.
Haha, yeah, that was my initial thought, too. But I'm hoping a trainer who has been with the team for the past 4 years told him that or something. Otherwise, just a ridiculous statement.

just traded back into our rookie draft at 7.14 to take him (gave up a 2018 6th). Not taking the chance that I will be able to get him when when our BB waivers run next on 9/3.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/news/979980/amp

https://www.google.com/amp/broncoswire.usatoday.com/2017/05/29/c-j-anderson-has-been-riding-his-bicycle-crazy-long-distances/amp/

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/27/broncos-running-backs/

It's actually been a bit of a storyline, especially with his injury history.  He had knee surgery last season and did a ton of long distance bicycling during rehab (among other things).  Which is kind of a big deal for endurance, considering he was in Denver for some or all of that training.  A lot of the top athletes in  the world go there to train at altitude because the thin air and hills are awesome for endurance training.  

I traded for Anderson in late October last year, and i remember watching him have a good game while Booker was making a couple plays of his own.  And I remember Anderson scored a touchdown, and someone in the game thread pointed out that Elway looked like he was going to go fire someone because he hated Anderson.  

That stuck with me because I would have thought they liked him - he was producing, had some big playoff games, and they'd matched his offer sheet when he signed with Miami.  Maybe elway just wanted to be a genius again and have "his guy" become the star running back, or maybe there was something I didn't know. 

Anderson got hurt that game and I remember thinking he was in trouble.  But then the off-season training stories started to come out and he sounded like he was working his tail off, and now I think they might be back to really liking the kid.   They still brought in Charles, and talked about competition, but they're also praising him for his effort and shape.  I've been gradually moving him up my redraft board because of it. 

Another year and another Denver running back being hyped up. This has been going on for roughly 15 years it seems... 

Not bad for dynasty guys to take notice, I get it, but same story another day it seems

As if Vance Joseph was paying any attention to CJ Anderson's conditioning while he was coaching defensive backs in Miami.
Joseph was the defensive coordinator (not DB coach) last year when Miami signed CJ to a free agent tender last season.

Another year and another Denver running back being hyped up. This has been going on for roughly 15 years it seems... 

Not bad for dynasty guys to take notice, I get it, but same story another day it seems
Yeah, I get that.  Denver has had its share of false-hype RBs, but they have also had tremendous success with later round backs.

In fairness, the Camp praise for Henderson only adds fuel to the fire that already existed.  At Coastal Carolina, Henderson was dynamic.  He is a decisive runner with an extra gear (4.48 speed).  Despite an injury-shortened senior season, Henderson amassed over 5,000 career yards (4,635 rushing and 921 receiving), averaged 6.4 ypc and hauled in 97 receptions.  Henderson has a nose for the endzone: he scored in a Division I record 35 consecutive games, finding paydirt 64 times over his college career (58 on the ground).  Henderson is only 5'7", but he is powerfully built, in the mold of MJD.

Joseph was the defensive coordinator (not DB coach) last year when Miami signed CJ to a free agent tender last season.
Yeah he started off as a DB coach but was the DC season and Miami did sign Anderson to a tender, but that was likely more to do with his former OC Gase being the Phins' HC.

The point remains that Joseph making that statement really holds no water and it's comical that it's being reported that way.

I'm also not saying that it can't be true either - just found that blurb funny.

It has actually been going on for over 20 years, dating back to when they drafted Terrell Davis in the 6th round and he won them two Super Bowls and ended up in the Hall of Fame.

That's why the hype exists for underheralded Denver RBs, it's because having seen one 6th rounder become one of the best RBs in the league, the precedent has been set. And to be fair, through Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns etc, there have been a lot of unheralded Denver RBs who went on to have 1000 yard seasons. There really is a chance of striking gold in the Denver backfield. 

Yeah he started off as a DB coach but was the DC season and Miami did sign Anderson to a tender, but that was likely more to do with his former OC Gase being the Phins' HC.

The point remains that Joseph making that statement really holds no water and it's comical that it's being reported that way.

I doubt Joseph had any reason during his time with Miami to personally know much about Anderson's level of conditioning.  I have to believe that statement is based on what he is being told from current staff members who do have personal knowledge.  I agree, however, that it is a bit of a curious statement.

It has actually been going on for over 20 years, dating back to when they drafted Terrell Davis in the 6th round and he won them two Super Bowls and ended up in the Hall of Fame.

That's why the hype exists for underheralded Denver RBs, it's because having seen one 6th rounder become one of the best RBs in the league, the precedent has been set. And to be fair, through Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Reuben Droughns etc, there have been a lot of unheralded Denver RBs who went on to have 1000 yard seasons. There really is a chance of striking gold in the Denver backfield. 
I understand. I have been burned so many times trying to strike gold in DEN, which is why I have skepticism. 

Yeah, I get that.  Denver has had its share of false-hype RBs, but they have also had tremendous success with later round backs.

In fairness, the Camp praise for Henderson only adds fuel to the fire that already existed.  At Coastal Carolina, Henderson was dynamic.  He is a decisive runner with an extra gear (4.48 speed).  Despite an injury-shortened senior season, Henderson amassed over 5,000 career yards (4,635 rushing and 921 receiving), averaged 6.4 ypc and hauled in 97 receptions.  Henderson has a nose for the endzone: he scored in a Division I record 35 consecutive games, finding paydirt 64 times over his college career (58 on the ground).  Henderson is only 5'7", but he is powerfully built, in the mold of MJD.
When Denver grabbed Henderson I was interested. I think this is something worth watching. I believe Anderson only has 2 years left on his contract. Charles is old. Booker was unimpressive last year. So certainly the opportunity may be there. 

Someone I'll keep an eye on for 1-2 years down the road, or if the backfield suffers a plague of injuries. 

I do like his measurables, a lot, it's just hard not to look at it as the same old same old. 

Totally agree.  Just an observation.

I know you're high on him, and it's better than no touchdown, but he was still in with 1:58 in the 4th quarter of the first preseason game, and he ran untouched through a giant hole then turned and got caught from behind by a d back whose tackle attempt would charitably be described as "suspect" 

I guess you'd prefer he would have hesitated and gotten tackled?  He got an opportunity and took advantage of what he was given.  I posted a video of it.  Would you prefer no information at all unless it's a player you are interested in?  The rest of the time maybe we could all share recipes or discuss our favorite colors.  Sheesh.

I liked what I saw. The TD was not his only good run, even if it is the only one that appears in the stat sheet. He had a couple other nice looking 12-15 yard runs called back due to penalty. Very elusive IMHO.

Had grabbed him to be an end of the bench flier guy in one dyno league last week after some positive camp reports. After seeing him last night, was able to add him in another dyno in the same situation. He looked like a nice player, hopefully he earns a spot

I guess you'd prefer he would have hesitated and gotten tackled?  He got an opportunity and took advantage of what he was given.  I posted a video of it.  Would you prefer no information at all unless it's a player you are interested in?  The rest of the time maybe we could all share recipes or discuss our favorite colors.  Sheesh.
It was a nice play and DH did everything he could with it but Fred is right. This didn't happen in a vacuum, context is important when evaluating a play.

Like you, I'm watching him closely, but I think BF was just providing some context to the video. Context is important.

It was a nice play and DH did everything he could with it but Fred is right. This didn't happen in a vacuum, context is important when evaluating a play.
I might have a little more interest in his TD run if it wasnt in the last 2 minutes of a first preseason game. 

I like this kid, I just wish I coulda seen him against talent instead of against unemployed people in 2 weeks is all.

I'm more mesmerized by how bad some of the players who make it to camp really are.

Break down the terrible defense on this play, #73 for the Bears just stands up with the penetration of a marshmallow into a brick wall, #49 the end was hold the OL basically begging him to hold him back and the safety #36 ran straight at him instead of taking an angle. The fact that the LB #53 couldnt shed that block is embarrassing.  And the corner at the end of the play dives behind him late, SMH. #22 for the Bears was hustlin though.

Hendersons got the vision though

Broncos sixth-round RB De'Angelo Henderson rushed 7 times for 54 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' preseason opener.

Henderson showed off his 4.48 speed running for a 41-yard touchdown to win the game late in the 4th quarter. He came in as the third running back after C.J. Anderson and the recently-signed Stevan Ridley. He needs to keep making big plays if he wants to move up the depth chart and make an impact in the regular season.

He showed some talent on his 14 yarder that was called back due to penalty.  Yes th epenalty was right in the hole, but it appeared to me the hold was a bit after he made his move.  I wish I had him on my dynasty team.

I might have a little more interest in his TD run if it wasnt in the last 2 minutes of a first preseason game. 

I like this kid, I just wish I coulda seen him against talent instead of against unemployed people in 2 weeks is all.

I'm more mesmerized by how bad some of the players who make it to camp really are.

Break down the terrible defense on this play, #73 for the Bears just stands up with the penetration of a marshmallow into a brick wall, #49 the end was hold the OL basically begging him to hold him back and the safety #36 ran straight at him instead of taking an angle. The fact that the LB #53 couldnt shed that block is embarrassing.  And the corner at the end of the play dives behind him late, SMH. #22 for the Bears was hustlin though.

Hendersons got the vision though
Again, context is important.

He may have been playing against future UPS drivers and Skycaps but he was also playing with future UPS drivers and Skycaps.

If he has any real talent you would expect him to shine I'm that situation and he did.

If he's still performing well by the 3rd preseason game, and starts getting at least 2nd string reps, then I'd buy in. But if he stays behind Ridley, that implies he's also behind Booker, and a 4th string RB on a team with a bad O-line and poor QBs isn't a great situation.

Again, context is important.

He may have been playing against future UPS drivers and Skycaps but he was also playing with future UPS drivers and Skycaps.

If he has any real talent you would expect him to shine I'm that situation and he did.
:goodposting:

I think you need to evaluate performance in a vacuum in preseason. Guys either outperform their talent group or they don't, and guys who outperform may be even better working with higher tier talent. Or maybe they get exposed, who knows. I saw they swapped Juwan Thompson into the late series to compete against UPS drivers and the difference was noticeable to my very unsophisticated eyes. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, I can't imagine Henderson being snuck onto a practice squad if he plays more preseason. It may not be realistic even after this one game.

If he's still performing well by the 3rd preseason game, and starts getting at least 2nd string reps, then I'd buy in. But if he stays behind Ridley, that implies he's also behind Booker, and a 4th string RB on a team with a bad O-line and poor QBs isn't a great situation.

If Henderson can't move past Ridley by week 3 PS I may drop him.  

I know you're high on him, and it's better than no touchdown, but he was still in with 1:58 in the 4th quarter of the first preseason game, and he ran untouched through a giant hole then turned and got caught from behind by a d back whose tackle attempt would charitably be described as "suspect" 
He's a sixth round pick, so being in the game that late is pretty expected.

Users who are viewing this thread