What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ozark on Netflix (2 Viewers)

prosopis

Arizona Chupacabra
Anyone watching this series?

Ozark is an American drama series created by Bill Dubuque.[1][2] The first season comprises ten one-hour episodes produced by Media Rights Capital.[3] Jason Bateman stars in the series and directed half of the episodes.[4] Bateman portrays financial planner Marty Byrde, who suddenly relocates from a Chicago suburb to a summer resort community in the Missouri Ozarks,[5] and who must pay off a debt to a Mexican drug lord, with Laura Linney playing his wife Wendy.[6] The first season was released on Netflix on July 21, 2017.[7]

I got hooked pretty quick. I am not a big fan of Jason Bateman and I think he gets way to many gigs. However he is pretty damn good in this. It's worth checking out.

I had to look up the age of the girl who plays his daughter and kind of wish I had'n't. She sure is pretty though.

I've only seen the first episode so far. Was the ending of that one in the Ozarks?
The scene with them on the cliff at the end of episode one is in the Ozarks. That cliff is called Lover's Leap, and it's in the Linn Creek area of MO. Most of filming was done primarily around Allatoona Lake and Lake Lanier in Georgia. Some scenes were also filmed in Atlanta. For tax reasons it was cheaper to film in Georgia than Missouri. 

I am three episodes in  and still liking it. I like Bateman's character. I am suspicious of the old man that came with their house. He is being used as comedy relief but I am guessing he turns out to be bad.

The scene with them on the cliff at the end of episode one is in the Ozarks. That cliff is called Lover's Leap, and it's in the Linn Creek area of MO. Most of filming was done primarily around Allatoona Lake and Lake Lanier in Georgia. Some scenes were also filmed in Atlanta. For tax reasons it was cheaper to film in Georgia than Missouri. 
Good job, Missouri Hillbillies. I'll bet you guys are rolling in tax revenue from the film industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good acting weak writing so far. I'm about 5 EPs in and the stereotypes just keep coming. Feeling like a swing and a miss to me.

on about episode 8

pretty good show with humor and suspense mixed in. I can tell its about to get real gewd

Namely, I'll take my $8 million, go on the lam, and take my chances.

Or after the cops raid the strip club, they don't clear & secure the building, leaving Ruth alone to mess around with the safe? Then Bateman can blab about money laundering with strip club dude at the jail and not worry about it being recorded?

After one episode I'm lukewarm. Will likely give it a shot at least through the first 2-3. Pretty good acting, rather cliched story so far but there is potential.
Kinda feel the same way. It didn't grab me right away, but I think it could be good. Kind of reminds me a bit of Breaking Bad with the storyline.

Kinda feel the same way. It didn't grab me right away, but I think it could be good. Kind of reminds me a bit of Breaking Bad with the storyline.
Kind of feels like a combo of BB, true detective, bloodlines and justified to me.  I have three episodes to go... Overall I like it but I think it was episode 6 that had me rolling my eyes a few times at the dialogue and story lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like the remaining episodes will be an enjoyable ride. If we can see the daughter in her short shorts again, that would be excellent too. :popcorn:  

I'm only a couple episodes in, but I'm digging it so far. I like that fact that Bateman's character thinks like a criminal but realizes he doesn't have the carnality to live a gangster's life, so he compensates by reasoning and talking his way out of problems. 

Kind of feels like a combo of BB, true detective, bloodlines and justified to me.  I have three episodes to go... Overall I like it but I think it was episode 6 that had me rolling my eyes a few times at the dialogue and story lines.
I think that is the episode I watched last night and I agree. I am still enjoying the show but it's starting to have to much going on. The fishing buddies seem real strange to me, I'm not buying that.

Wife and I watched first 3 episodes last night. Both of us liked it and will continue watching. I enjoyed it so far, interesting characters.

OK maybe I am dumb but how does inflating expenses help him launder money?  He has to have set up a bunch of dummy companies providing the fake goods and services, right?  Wouldn't that have required a ton of work and some degree of legitimacy to provide the right cover for each of those businesses?

Well...the biggest plot hole for me was...

Your long time business partner goes missing/dies.  The very next day you drain 8 million dollars from all of your accounts (assuming business accounts) and the day after that you pack up and move your family to Missouri and the police have no questions for you?  That was a bit ridiculous

3 in and still enjoying it. The blonde girl from The Americans is good in it

I could do without seeing a guy blow another guy though. Does every show have to have some gay storyline?

4 episodes in and I'm not sure I'll get to the 5th. I've got no mind to trash the show in here, so will just say I read Sepinwall's review and I think he nailed it for me. 
Agree. He really nailed it. I was ready to walk away after 3 episodes but I stuck it out for the wife   We have one episode left. 

I will say there are a few really good performances here, but the writing - plot and dialogue both - is pretty rough to sit through. 

One other criticism I forgot about

Why do we have to have a some psycho, ego-maniac, sociopathic FBI Agent or cop in every show like this?

That trope seems extremely played out to this point.

Users who are viewing this thread