Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ozark on Netflix

On 4/6/2020 at 2:46 PM, belljr said:

Fwiw being close with someone who was bipolar, his character "fit"

that dude knocked it out of the park. he was so believable that i found myself worrying about the mental fitness of the actor in real life.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mr. furley said:

that dude knocked it out of the park. he was so believable that i found myself worrying about the mental fitness of the actor in real life.

He was great.

That character arc was excellent.  Much of this season was great but really enjoyed his piece.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, James Daulton said:

Who'd have thunk that Jason Bateman would have carved out such a nice niche as a maturing actor. 

Good for him. 

I mixed in a few episodes of Arrested Development as I watched Ozark S3. 

59 minutes ago, Payne said:

I can't help but think the mouth on Ruth is a bit much at times.

Acting is top notch. Great show! 

A bit much yes.  Someone with that little filter who is around that many dangerous people wouldn't really have lasted that long without either being killed or disfigured far before her "accident" this season.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 10:12 PM, Ghost Rider said:

BTW, for those of you thinking the actor playing Navarro looks familiar (which I was), he was in the Sopranos episode The Happy Wanderer.  He was the fish guy that Chrissy was missing with (Chrissy accused him of putting his finger on the scale).

Jesus, he came up in life

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 12:12 AM, adonis said:

He was great.

That character arc was excellent.  Much of this season was great but really enjoyed his piece.

The last 3 episodes were the best of the series so far.  Almost Breaking Bad level.

• Like 2

Just finished the season, and agree that it was great. 

But, for all of the Wyatt-Darlene uncomfortableness, doesn't there also need to be at least a 20-year age difference between Ruth and Ben? He's got to be in his 40s, right?

6 minutes ago, nysfl2 said:

Just finished the season, and agree that it was great. 

But, for all of the Wyatt-Darlene uncomfortableness, doesn't there also need to be at least a 20-year age difference between Ruth and Ben? He's got to be in his 40s, right?

In real life Ben is 37 and Ruth is 26. Darlene is 68 and Wyatt is 22. Even if I wanted to make an argument that older women should be able to attract younger men, this is way too big of a gap. It’s creepy. 

14 minutes ago, Clown Car said:

In real life Ben is 37 and Ruth is 26. Darlene is 68 and Wyatt is 22. Even if I wanted to make an argument that older women should be able to attract younger men, this is way too big of a gap. It’s creepy. 

And it's not like Darlene is still a looker at 68.  The way her character is made to look and act, she is beyond gross, yet we are supposed to believe that Wyatt just couldn't help himself?   Nothing about their relationship is believable (not even taking into account that the two actors seem to have little to no chemistry).

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

And it's not like Darlene is still a looker at 68.  The way her character is made to look and act, she is beyond gross, yet we are supposed to believe that Wyatt just couldn't help himself?   Nothing about their relationship is believable (not even taking into account that the two actors seem to have little to no chemistry).

Wyatt is damaged goods.  He is longing for someone to give him some love and affection...anyone.  Darlene also gives him the mother figure that Ruth always tried to fulfill.   

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Wyatt is damaged goods.  He is longing for someone to give him some love and affection...anyone.  Darlene also gives him the mother figure that Ruth always tried to fulfill.   

Not only that but she’s also super rich and he was basically living in a dumpster beforehand. 

Edited by Capella

14 hours ago, Capella said:

The actor who played Ben put on an unreal performance in episode 9. One of the best singular acting jobs in an episode I recall seeing. Phenomenal. 

Yes it was.  They actually got me because i thought he was faking his mental illness.  Figured he was fine and then some other things would happen.  Can't really say much else without ruining it for those that have not see it yet.

Don't understand why they couldn't put him back on his medicine once he went totally off a cliff.  They've got millions of $s.  Pay $20 for the meds

Edited by Brunell4MVP
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

Yes it was.  They actually got me because i thought he was faking his mental illness.  Figured he was fine and then some other things would happen.  Can't really say much else without ruining it for those that have not see it yet.

Don't understand why they couldn't put him back on his medicine once he went totally off a cliff.  They've got millions of $s.  Pay $20 for the meds

He was past the point of no return.  No way he was going to go back on the meds.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

it wasn't the money, he was refusing to take them. 

Edited by Long Ball Larry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Not only that but she’s also super rich and he was basically living in a dumpster beforehand. 

Sure, but he could've gotten the mother figure and money parts without slipping her the high hard one. 

Not that he did much thinking this through, but a 19 year old boy hanging out on a lake all summer having to pass up every young prospect for fear that he and/or the girl will be gutted and strung up? That's going to get old quickly.

8 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

So with all the things the Byrdes did, the end result was better than tying up her brother and force feeding him some meds?  I don't buy into that.  The acting was top notch, even from Linney.  But they could have easily averted the result.

15 hours ago, Capella said:

The actor who played Ben put on an unreal performance in episode 9. One of the best singular acting jobs in an episode I recall seeing. Phenomenal. 

Agreed. As I indicated way up thread, Tom Pelphrey better get Emmy consideration for his short-lived role as Ben.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

So with all the things the Byrdes did, the end result was better than tying up her brother and force feeding him some meds?  I don't buy into that.  The acting was top notch, even from Linney.  But they could have easily averted the result.

Easily averted for what though?  Keeping him as a drugged up prisoner in Buddy's basement forever?  He was completely terrified of institutions that would do this do him, why would he be able to survive his sister doing it to him?  This was the only option.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

They had him committed to avert the result.

Ruth/Darlene got him out, and by the time the Byrd's even knew he was out, he had already confronted the lawyer. They were beyond the point of tying him up and forcing him to take meds at that point.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Brunell4MVP said:

what were they going to do, keep him tied up for ever?

i agree that it was not the most compassionate thing to do, but based on his long history of issues, the problem was never going to go away and that would be a problem for Marty and Wendy.  So she finally bit the bullet and decided that there was only one way to truly solve the problem.  No more half measures.

Was actually reading a couple articles on Tom Pelphrey and his prep for the role and it was mentioned that his character was actually mentioned in Season 1 by Wendy hoping that Jonah doesn’t turn out like her brother.  I seem to remember that now and, without reading back through posts about this season, I don’t remember it being brought up

Edited by That one guy

2 minutes ago, That one guy said:

Was actually reading a couple articles on Tom Pelphrey and his prep for the role and it was mentioned that his character was actually mentioned in Season 1 by Wendy hoping that Jonah doesn’t turn out like her brother.  I seem to remember that now and, without reading back through posts about this season, I don’t remember it being brought up

that reference from season 1 was brought up a few times during this season.

4 hours ago, Capella said:

Maybe the best scene in the show so far 

I started watching and thought oh great....they're gonna do a little scene to shown he is bipolar...then it kept going....and going and going...to the point where I was agreeing with some of his points and it seemed like a reasonable internal self discussion. 😦

now I'm not sure what to think

On 4/13/2020 at 1:56 PM, Brunell4MVP said:

I was under the impression that he wasn’t going to take medication anymore.  I’m sure they would have paid for his medication, but he just wasn’t haven’t anything to do with that.  

5 hours ago, Kevrunner said:

I was under the impression that he wasn’t going to take medication anymore.  I’m sure they would have paid for his medication, but he just wasn’t haven’t anything to do with that.  

Yeah I thought he wouldn’t take it because he couldn’t get boners

On 4/12/2020 at 11:01 PM, Capella said:

I don’t know if you ever watched “Banshee” when it was on Cinemax a few years back, but he had a role towards the end of that series, he was great in that also.  I was going to link a scene that he is in from Banshee, but it has some bad language, not sure if it is appropriate or not to post.   YouTube  Banshee and his name (Tom Pelphrey), if you have any interests,  it bought back some good memories, I liked that show a lot.

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2020 at 2:07 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

He stopped taking them because he couldn't get it up when he first tried to have the sexs with Ruthie

Meh, I had trouble getting through Season 2 and 3 even during this quarantine.  Just didn't buy most of the plot points.  Everything just seemed way too convenient and rushed.  Writers need to slow it down and develop characters so the story is believable.  

On another note, I really wished Jonah would have blasted that lawyer c*nt   He's the only character I like on the show and would've made for an interesting character arc in Season 4.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Major said:

Meh, I had trouble getting through Season 2 and 3 even during this quarantine.  Just didn't buy most of the plot points.  Everything just seemed way too convenient and rushed.  Writers need to slow it down and develop characters so the story is believable.  

On another note, I really wished Jonah would have blasted that lawyer c*nt   He's the only character I like on the show and would've made for an interesting character arc in Season 4.

hard to do when Netflix only gives them 10 episodes per season..

Most shows have 16 or more per season so writers here need to cram as much as they can, which can at times cost character development. :mellow: 

11 minutes ago, snogger said:

hard to do when Netflix only gives them 10 episodes per season..

Most shows have 16 or more per season so writers here need to cram as much as they can, which can at times cost character development. :mellow: 

The Sopranos and Breaking Bad were in the middle at 13 episodes per season. I think the characters are fine, but 10 is enough to develop them IMO.