Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Ozark on Netflix


Recommended Posts

On 8/26/2017 at 2:20 PM, NotSmart said:

I was mostly making a pun on the minor eye incident between Del and his previous golf and wife cheating money launderer that Marty replaced.

While I wouldn't call it the best one, I liked the flashback episode and thought it provided a good foundation and backstory.

 

It wasn't just about the plot details for me.  I thought it was a really well done episode

I liked the time jumping, with the context cluing you in to the time period as the scene developed.  Also while I know they did the circular intro thing (where the first scene of the episode is actually the beginning of the last scene of the episode) in several episodes I thought it was done by far the best in the flashback episode.  The Buddy Holly monologue that was a bit of a narrative about the show, then finishing with the complete scene and the conversation that led to that dialogue, the now known implications of the crash, and the cut to the other driver with the same Buddy Holly song playing.

There were also some nice touches and callbacks through the episode, like Louis' eyes which I assume are the ones that Wendy opened in the package from Del a few episodes back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

It wasn't just about the plot details for me.  I thought it was a really well done episode

I liked the time jumping, with the context cluing you in to the time period as the scene developed.  Also while I know they did the circular intro thing (where the first scene of the episode is actually the beginning of the last scene of the episode) in several episodes I thought it was done by far the best in the flashback episode.  The Buddy Holly monologue that was a bit of a narrative about the show, then finishing with the complete scene and the conversation that led to that dialogue, the now known implications of the crash, and the cut to the other driver with the same Buddy Holly song playing.

There were also some nice touches and callbacks through the episode, like Louis' eyes which I assume are the ones that Wendy opened in the package from Del a few episodes back.

But what was the point of gay FBI guy's mom and her "issues"? Character development to show why he is how he is?

It just seemed unnecessary. 

Regarding the back story for Marty, I did/do feel a lot less bad for them after that episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

How do you launder money by inflating your expenses?  How does buying more carpet and more AC units end up as clean cash in a bank account?   

I think the idea is that it makes it seem like the business is bringing in more money than it really is. If your expenses are $500k instead of $100k, it should follow that the business is raking in a lot more to cover the higher expenses. I'm just guessing though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, urbanhack said:

How do you launder money by inflating your expenses?  How does buying more carpet and more AC units end up as clean cash in a bank account?   

Good question :confused:

Maybe the inflated expenses are used as tax breaks against inflated income, resulting in lower taxes against the inflated income.  

Then the income goes into the bank as clean money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, John Bender said:

One other criticism I forgot about

 

  Hide contents

Why do we have to have a some psycho, ego-maniac, sociopathic FBI Agent or cop in every show like this?

 

That trope seems extremely played out to this point.

Yeah, they're usually only one of the three (usually the 2nd or 3rd); being all 3 is somewhat rare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2017 at 9:52 AM, Thunderlips said:

I was thinking that Breaking Bad would have been much, MUCH better with Laura Linney as Walt's wife instead of Anna Gunn. 

:goodposting:

and laura linney was great in this... I'm not understanding any criticism of her.

 

mostly :blackdot:

watched the first season... liked it, not loved it. but will definitely watch s2.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2017 at 8:24 PM, urbanhack said:

How do you launder money by inflating your expenses?  How does buying more carpet and more AC units end up as clean cash in a bank account?   

He's not actually buying that carpet/AC units.  He's creating fictitious expenses for tax purposes.  If his strip club has 500k in a year of revenue, but also has 450k in "expenses", he claims the profit was only 50k, and only has to pay taxes on that amount.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As for how inflating expenses helps launder money:

-You've got to own all of the businesses in question (which they do).

-Business 1 (hotel) shows more income than is legit...paid for with cash from renters, which is deposited into the bank.

-To keep from showing an insane profit, they show high expenses in the form of upgrades and remodeling materials that never actually exist (or are much cheaper than shown).

-Those actual payments are then made from the bank of the first company into the bank of the second company who is a construction company.  Boom, cash is legitimately in the system.

-Then presumably the cash in the construction company is then "paid" to the drug cartels dummy company, a construction material supplier for materials that are never actually sent (or much cheaper material or lower quantities is actually sent).  If you can base this company and the materials out of Mexico, it is probably difficult for the IRS to verify or invalidate those purchases.

I'm not 100% sure, but that's how I'd do it if I was running this thing.  Obviously, the paperwork is the key.  Showing all of the shipping documents, invoices, and payment receipts for all of the companies is the paper trail necessary to legitimize it all.

If I was doing it, I'd have paper trails a mile long through multiple states showing company A owns company B who owns company C, all in different states with as many illegitimate addresses as I could get away with.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

my memory is terrible, but I'm pretty sure this happened...

  Hide contents

his partner at the cafe/dock/hotel took all that cash, right? that should go well.

Correct.  She bounced.  

Was Tucker her son?  What happens to him?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/11/2017 at 3:47 PM, El Floppo said:

my memory is terrible, but I'm pretty sure this happened...

  Reveal hidden contents

his partner at the cafe/dock/hotel took all that cash, right? that should go well.

I assumed she took some, not all.  Not sure though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

That's what I took from it, that she just pulled off the one section of wall that looked funny.  How would she have subtly carried away the full stash?

Yeah I think she got a trunk full.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The writing wasn't good.  It was all too convenient to drive the story but not really well thought out.

The acting was great however.  Some great performances throughout and the best was Julia Garner/Ruth Langmore, nailed that trailer park girl.

I almost gave up midway through due to the writing, glad I finished but not sure if I would watch season 2.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jefferson the Caregiver said:

The writing wasn't good.  It was all too convenient to drive the story but not really well thought out.

The acting was great however.  Some great performances throughout and the best was Julia Garner/Ruth Langmore, nailed that trailer park girl.

I almost gave up midway through due to the writing, glad I finished but not sure if I would watch season 2.

 

 

Which parts of the writing didn't you like?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jefferson the Caregiver said:

The writing wasn't good.  It was all too convenient to drive the story but not really well thought out.

The acting was great however.  Some great performances throughout and the best was Julia Garner/Ruth Langmore, nailed that trailer park girl.

I almost gave up midway through due to the writing, glad I finished but not sure if I would watch season 2.

 

 

Completely agree, especially on Ruth. What a great actress. And yeah, there are huge plot holes everywhere. But it's got suspense, eye candy with the daughter, and boats/lake scenes. I'm in for season 2.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Jefferson the Caregiver said:

The writing wasn't good.  It was all too convenient to drive the story but not really well thought out.

The acting was great however.  Some great performances throughout and the best was Julia Garner/Ruth Langmore, nailed that trailer park girl.

I almost gave up midway through due to the writing, glad I finished but not sure if I would watch season 2.

The writing was incredibly lazy, but they peppered in some nice zingers every now and then.

Agree on the acting.  Even the kids do a good job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can someone explain the money laundering aspect - asking for a friend.

I don't understand how inflating expenses allows money to be laundered.  Seems like you need to inflate revenue to get the cash into the banking system :shrug:

 

ETA - nevermind - see the post above - but I did not see that Marty had acquired the other businesses.

Edited by Sinn Fein
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Can someone explain the money laundering aspect - asking for a friend.

I don't understand how inflating expenses allows money to be laundered.  Seems like you need to inflate revenue to get the cash into the banking system :shrug:

 

ETA - nevermind - see the post above - but I did not see that Marty had acquired the other businesses.

I mostly get the concept, but it seems mind-bogglingly complicated, and impossible to do it on such a large scale with relatively low-revenue businesses like strip clubs and marinas in hickville. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, McGarnicle said:

I mostly get the concept, but it seems mind-bogglingly complicated, and impossible to do it on such a large scale with relatively low-revenue businesses like strip clubs and marinas in hickville. 

Well why do you think Marty was so stressed out!??!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

 

51 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Can someone explain the money laundering aspect - asking for a friend.

I don't understand how inflating expenses allows money to be laundered.  Seems like you need to inflate revenue to get the cash into the banking system :shrug:

 

ETA - nevermind - see the post above - but I did not see that Marty had acquired the other businesses.

I mostly get the concept, but it seems mind-bogglingly complicated, and impossible to do it on such a large scale with relatively low-revenue businesses like strip clubs and marinas in hickville. 

 

yeah. this.

and also his attempts at throwing money around to all the local businesses which somehow didn't raise any flags either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, jamny said:
48 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

:shrug: I thought it was her by the end of the 1st episode - think they showed her face as she was bent over the bed...

Yeah, I'm hoping they are just talking about until they showed her face at the end of the 1st episode.

I must've missed that - I don't remember seeing her face.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

yeah. this.

and also his attempts at throwing money around to all the local businesses which somehow didn't raise any flags either.

:confused:

He was trying to become a partner in the businesses so he could utilize them to launder more money.  He would pay for the "upgrades" and manage the finances for them in exchange for a portion of the "profits".  I can't remember if there was an expected % cost to the laundering or not.  Normally, there would have to be some usage of the cash for actual purchases, etc.  No way could you funnel 100% without having something already established that could handle that volume of cash.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jayrod said:

:confused:

He was trying to become a partner in the businesses so he could utilize them to launder more money.  He would pay for the "upgrades" and manage the finances for them in exchange for a portion of the "profits".  I can't remember if there was an expected % cost to the laundering or not.  Normally, there would have to be some usage of the cash for actual purchases, etc.  No way could you funnel 100% without having something already established that could handle that volume of cash.

Of course. I didn't buy all of his approaches not raising red flags in the community.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
  • Create New...