What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Williamsburg VA (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
I did a search and did not find anything specific.   We are doing something different this year for family vacation We normally go to the beach the last week of August but decided to change it up.

Haven't been since I was a kid.

So we plan on doing the colonial visit one day

probably hit busch Gardens one day/ maybe Water country also.

Anything else that is on the "to do " list.    Golf course recommendations?

Anything I need to buy "early"

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
@3C's -is our resident Williamsburg expert

I went to school there - but its been years since I have really done anything there - we typically spend one night at Great Wolf Lodge when we go home for Thanksgiving, but that about it...

I did a search and did not find anything specific.   We are doing something different this year for family vacation We normally go to the beach the last week of August but decided to change it up.

Haven't been since I was a kid.

So we plan on doing the colonial visit one 1/2 day

probably hit busch Gardens one day/ maybe Water country also.

Anything else that is on the "to do " list.    Golf course recommendations?

Anything I need to buy "early"

TIA
You're welcome

belljr said:
lol - good to know - is Jamestown worth it?
I like Jamestown, but I'm a bit of a history nerd.  Worth it if you are into that sort of stuff. Yorktown is great too.

I like Jamestown, but I'm a bit of a history nerd.  Worth it if you are into that sort of stuff. Yorktown is great too.
cool - i like it but I wouldn't say "I'm super into it" if that makes any sense.  Just wanted to take my 11 year old somewhere different t learn some stuff

cool - i like it but I wouldn't say "I'm super into it" if that makes any sense.  Just wanted to take my 11 year old somewhere different t learn some stuff
Ok.  Yeah, the kid would definitely learn something at each of the three sites.  11 year old would probably enjoy Williamsburg the most, since it has more re-enactments and buildings to tour, although they are mostly reconstructed.

Jamestown and Yorktown both have good visitor centers and museums on site, but they are run by the NPS. So, a bit more of the traditional historical site.  Jamestown does have an living history type place that is more like the Williamsburg experience, and the kid may enjoy more than the NPS site though.

It's funny how all the TV commercials emphasize all the things you can do in the Williamsburg area EXCEPT VISIT COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG.

You can walk around the colonial area and see a bit w/o paying for the pass but to see things like the Governor's Palace you'll need to get the pass. If you're bringing kids and they're old enough, Go Ape might be a fun couple of hours. Go Karts Plus might be worth a visit, but it can get pretty expensive though. Daughter keeps telling us about a place her friend manages. People seem to like it though she keeps poo-pooing it. http://www.colonialescape.com/ There are some "ghost" tours in CW. Thought the one I did was kind of lame though. Kids might get more of a kick out of it. BG/WC of course. Yorktown beach and battlefield isn't too far away, right down Colonial Parkway.

Yorktown has a sand beach on the York River. 

Williamsburg has horse carriage rides that might need advance reservations. 

belljr said:
Jamestown is a live archaeological dig site. Until 1994 they thought the original fort had been washed away in the river, but an archaeologist named Bill Kelso thought otherwise. He helped find the original fort and continues to dig there. My dad is good friends with Bill (I have met him) and my dad has also helped fund some of what is going on in Jamestown. It is interesting that the British consider Jamestown really important because it was their first settlement in the States. When Jamestown celebrated it's 400 year birthday in 2007, the Queen of England came to Jamestown for the Celebration. Bill Kelso has been knighted for the work he has done on Jamestown.

Be aware that there's Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestowne. Two different places right next to each other.

belljr said:
Jamestown is a live archaeological dig site. Until 1994 they thought the original fort had been washed away in the river, but an archaeologist named Bill Kelso thought otherwise. He helped find the original fort and continues to dig there. My dad is good friends with Bill (I have met him) and my dad has also helped fund some of what is going on in Jamestown. It is interesting that the British consider Jamestown really important because it was their first settlement in the States. When Jamestown celebrated it's 400 year birthday in 2007, the Queen of England came to Jamestown for the Celebration. Bill Kelso has been knighted for the work he has done on Jamestown.
Bill was actually named a "Commander of the British Empire" (CBE), which is one step below being a Knight (KBE).

edit: it's still very cool, though. Few Americans are bestowed with these honors.

So which one is "better" and/or should I "care" about
The dig site gives you more of the actual history, the Settlement gives you more of a representation of what Jamestown was like based on the history. Most kids would probably like the settlement better, most adults would probably prefer the dig site (in my limited opinion)

Bill was actually named a "Commander of the British Empire" (CBE), which is one step below being a Knight (KBE).

edit: it's still very cool, though. Few Americans are bestowed with these honors.
You are correct, sir. I knew he had been bestowed with an honor; I just assumed he was knighted until I googled it.

I love Williamsburg but I'm a huge history buff.  Beware William and Mary starts like the 4th week of Aug.  Could be crowded, which for a sleepier town like Williamsburg isn't a bad thing.  Nice to see some commotion going on.

Stay:  With an 11 year old, spend one night at Great Wolf Lodge.  It gets you into the waterpark for way less.  It's a good time for kids and adults.  Just beware the 8000 tattoos you will see on about 500 people.  It's like a redneck ink fest.  The rest of the time just grab a standard hotel.

Play:  Royal New Kent Golf Course is about 30 mins west on 64.  Fun course.  The Club at Vinaterra is very nice too.  Also about 45 mins west on 64.  Maybe hit those on way in or out.

Play More:  Busch Gardens is great.  I get sick on roller coasters at age 50.  But my kids love this place (and Kings Dominion and Hershey).  Water Park is good too.

See history:  some good stuff already in here about Jamestown.  It won't blow you away unless you really love history.  But it's worth half a day.  William and Mary is nice to tour.  Maybe too boring for 11 year old.  But with school incoming he should see what he considers cool, older kids in their element.

Eat:

1) Pierce's Pit BBQ (near Great Wolf Lodge) - very good not great BBQ.  But for Virginia, it's about the best tasting I've had in state.

2) The Trellis - If you want a fancier meal in the town, bit expensive though

3) Captain George's.  Some people hate it.  Some love it.  It's a pig out.  But if you want mass quantities of crab legs and seafood one night, the buffet is about as good as you'll get for that sort of thing.

Enjoy!

he is a she :)

We are staying at williamsburg plantation

we have a great wolfe lodge near hear so probably not but thanks for the info

Welp trip is cancelled.   The jerk wad that has the time share screwed up our dates.

FYI Never book through trip advisor.

This has been 1 big headache

About 5 years ago FB friend of mine was asking somebody which Williamsburg they were talking about (Brooklyn or VA)

"Stupid facial hair Williamsburg or patriotic cosplay Williamsburg?"

Bumping this for any fresh opinions/insight. Just booked a 4-bedroom condo at The Colonies at Williamsburg for a week in August for a family trip with the in-laws. Going to do at least 1 day each at Busch Gardens and Water Country. Hit Colonial Williamsburg, for sure, and at least one (or both) of Jamestown and Yorktown. Will hang at the resort some, too, but wodnering what else there is to do down there for 3 adults, 2 grandparents, and 3 kids (8, 12, 15).

Last time I was down there was '09 for Yorktown, Jamestown and the Busch Gardens Halloween event at night, just me and the wife. Last time we did the full park/rides and Colonial Williamsburg (with my family) was '07 when Griffon was the new coaster, and haven't been to Water Country in about 20 years.

Also thinking about hitting Kings Dominon on our travel day back, which we also last did in '07. 

Bumping this for any fresh opinions/insight. Just booked a 4-bedroom condo at The Colonies at Williamsburg for a week in August for a family trip with the in-laws. Going to do at least 1 day each at Busch Gardens and Water Country. Hit Colonial Williamsburg, for sure, and at least one (or both) of Jamestown and Yorktown. Will hang at the resort some, too, but wodnering what else there is to do down there for 3 adults, 2 grandparents, and 3 kids (8, 12, 15).

Last time I was down there was '09 for Yorktown, Jamestown and the Busch Gardens Halloween event at night, just me and the wife. Last time we did the full park/rides and Colonial Williamsburg (with my family) was '07 when Griffon was the new coaster, and haven't been to Water Country in about 20 years.

Also thinking about hitting Kings Dominon on our travel day back, which we also last did in '07. 
I know nothing about Yorktown, but would recommend Jamestown because of the archaeological dig going on there. They have found a lot of cool stuff in the last decade. 

Veil Brewing recently opened a brewpub in Norfolk. A little bit of a drive, but not an unreasonable one for good beer.

Yorktown and Jamestown are both pretty cool.  Jamestown may be a bit better with kids, and could be a day in itself between the historical site and living history place.  The historical site itself has really changed from when I was kid to when I was last there five years ago.

Yorktown is probably a half day, they have a fairly large museum, and then it is like any battlefield with walking and driving tours.  But if you are really into history, it is great to see the redoubts, and the field where the British surrendered their arms.

Yorktown is probably a half day, they have a fairly large museum, and then it is like any battlefield with walking and driving tours.  But if you are really into history, it is great to see the redoubts, and the field where the British surrendered their arms.
When we did Yorktown in '09 we just had time for the museum because we did Jamestown and Yorktown in one day. So this time will try to plan to do both the museum and battlefield, especially since it's my FIL's first time there and he loved seeing the battlefield when we took him to Gettysburg. 

Went there a couple years ago, plan a meal inside Williamsburg (like a lunch) in one of the town's restaurants. They have the 'residents' of the town (actors) who come in and eat in character. Fun.

When we did Yorktown in '09 we just had time for the museum because we did Jamestown and Yorktown in one day. So this time will try to plan to do both the museum and battlefield, especially since it's my FIL's first time there and he loved seeing the battlefield when we took him to Gettysburg. 
Yorktown has a good river (James) beach that would be good for the kids in August. 

If he loves Gettysburg, he should love Yorktown.  I'm guessing kids will love Kings Dominion more, but some good battlefields that you could hit on the driving day back -- Richmond's and Fredericksburg battlefields right off 95 (Richmond also has a good civil war museum).  Stuff like Chancellorsville, Spotsylvania Courthouse, the Wilderness, and Bull Run a bit further out.

Users who are viewing this thread