What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Moral Dilemma from a movie (1 Viewer)

Conanthecontrarian

Footballguy
My wife and I watched Passengers last night.

*SPOILER ALERT* Part of the plot of the movie will be revealed. So, if you don't want to spoil the movie, stop reading now.

Chris Pratt plays Jim, one of 5000 passengers sleeping in suspended animation on a journey through space to a new home they will colonize. The journey is 120 years long and due to a malfunction in his hibernation pod, Jim awakens 30 years into the journey. With the rest of the passengers and crew in suspended animation, Jim can access all the ammenities and luxuries on the ship. He attempts to contact help back on Earth. But, due to the distance they have travelled, any help or answers will take about 55 years to arrive. 

His only companion is an android bartender. After about a year of living by himself, Jim decides to "wake up" another passenger, Jennifer Lawrence as Aurora. He has studied information about Aurora, watched recordings of her and decided she is his ideal mate. 

So, this raises the moral dilemma. By awakening Aurora, Jim has given her the same destiny that fate has dealt him. He (now they) will live out the rest of his days on the ship and will die before the ship reaches its destination, a planet called Homestead Two. 

The dilemma is,if you were in the same situation as Jim, would you "wake up" one of the other passengers and change their destiny from awakening 120 years into the future on a new planet to living out their days on the ship with you? Or do you continue to live out the rest of your days on the ship by yourself and not "play God" with someone else's life? 

Interesting topic. I'd like to think I'd leave everyone alone, but who knows? Loneliness and certain death would be soul-crushing.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I can die alone in the void of space or rail Jennifer Lawrence? Is this shtick?
Now imagine there is no Jennifer Lawrence on board and your only option is Precious.  

I tried to think of another Jennifer, but damn they are all hot- Aniston, Lopez, Garner, etc. That is a topic for another day, what first name is shared by the most hot women? 

Now imagine there is no Jennifer Lawrence on board and your only option is Precious.  

I tried to think of another Jennifer, but damn they are all hot- Aniston, Lopez, Garner, etc. That is a topic for another day, what first name is shared by the most hot women? 
I went to school with 27 Jennifers.

My moral dilemma centers around whether I would destroy all of the clothing on board before waking Jennifer, or whether I would leave some fetish wear, which might make for fun, but obviously tips your hand that you arranged her awakening.

The lord of the rings guy?

Not really a moral dilemma.  Morally the answer is obvious.  You don't wake anyone up.  The question is whether or not you're a #### and do it anyway.

Oh wow, that's weird.  For some reason, all 6 swimsuit models on board this ship all had their pods malfunction right after mine did.  What an anomaly.

does waking up affect your ultimate ability to survive?  are you now aging as opposed to not aging in the suspended animation?

You guys know the old saying right? "No matter how hot a girl is, somewhere there is a guy tired of ####### her." 

Now imagine she is literally the only other person you ever come into contact with for DECADES. There's no break from her when you're at work. No break when you're at the bar with your buddies. No break on the golf course. It's just you and her, she's complaining about all the typical stuff women complain about and OH YEAH she also will be #####ing about the fact that you woke her up and now she's going to die. 

Give me the solitude.

(Or I'd wake her up, bang her out until I'm actually tired of her, and then eat a bullet)

Also, it was beyond dumb that there was only one medical pod on this entire ship of thousands of people. Only one medical bay. Really? Stupid.

And it was dumb that, even if you accept that they fall in love, that they don't decide to share the pod so they can both live longer. She could sleep for a year, then he'd wake her up, they'd share a week together, then he'd sleep for a year, and repeat. They'd only age half as much. 
I'm sorry this topic struck a nerve for you. 

Yeah, this movie sucked, because what the protagonist did was soooo wrong, that he lost the audience.

All the criticism of this film is that he woke her up and killed her, then she falls in love with him anyway, because Hollywood.

Awful movie, protagonist sucked, obviously a sick stalker, and she falls in love with him, which is just stupid stupid idiot dumb writing and everyone involved should have been ashamed they let this script happen in the first place. 
Going off to colonize a new planet doesn't sound like guaranteed good times. The pilgrims suffered from all manner of diseases, hostile Indians, etc. 

Wake her up and have the sechs with her until you get bored. Then have her go back to sleep and find another companion. Rinse and Repeat until you die. 

Why exactly is this a "moral" dilemma?

Jennifer Lawrence is not immortal - she is going to die at some point anyway.  So, its not like you killed her by waking her up.

Maybe the ship is destroyed by an unknown asteroid 90 years into the journey - and she gets to live a life of luxury instead of being pulverized in her sleep.  Sure, you are killing her dreams of living at the destination - but that is not really much of a moral dilemma - just a little moral quandary.  

Wake her up, tell it was an accident.  Live the life of luxury.  Use up all the food/drinks on the ship, and effectively kill everyone else when they wake ;-)

Walking Boot said:
Yeah, this movie sucked, because what the protagonist did was soooo wrong, that he lost the audience.

All the criticism of this film is that he woke her up and killed her, then she falls in love with him anyway, because Hollywood.

Awful movie, protagonist sucked, obviously a sick stalker, and she falls in love with him, which is just stupid stupid idiot dumb writing and everyone involved should have been ashamed they let this script happen in the first place. 
come on man.  don't hold it in.  Let it out.

Hmm. Tough choice, Jennifer Lawrence or the rest of my years with the Palm Sisters as my only sexual partners. How quickly can you thaw her?

Users who are viewing this thread