Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Media Criticism: 2020 on full blast

24 minutes ago, Sea Duck said:

No. We're not going to invent a false standard for journalistic practices. Journalists, even the best ones, are not obligated to track down, verify, follow-up, and correct every single word of every single quote uttered by a subject.

Lol.

Remember in elementary school when they taught us who, what, when, where, why?

Yeah, that is an OK expectation here. You have to ask yourself why you have dug in so hard defending such an obvious gaffe. 

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can't imagine what it's like to be on a "side" and feeling the need to defend it at all costs.  Just the last few pages seem to be exhausting.  Reality is, when you hitch your wagon to Trump like hi

Hi. Welcome to the thread about media criticism. There will be a standard auto reply in a few moments pointing out that nothing has changed with the media and you are incorrect. Soon after it will be

45 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

Lol.

Remember in elementary school when they taught us who, what, when, where, why?

Uh, no. Journalists are taught to not judge the "when" and "why" of a person's quote. It's their story to tell, not the journalist's.

There's nothing wrong with admitting to wearing partisan blinders so bright that they block the view of the rest of the world.

On 12/17/2020 at 10:42 AM, Sea Duck said:

Journalists, even the best ones, are not obligated to track down, verify, follow-up, and correct every single word of every single quote uttered by a subject.

By contract, esp with major publications, journalists are required to do exactly that. Journalists literally sit down and sign a contract, a legal document, saying they will do just that, or risk whatever penalty/arbitration/HR response is established by that publication/media outlet. This is basic business, insulating the parent company with as many liability shields as possible.

Whether it's enforced is another story. Clearly it's not enforced and that's a problem.

Your political opinion does not change practical logistics, industry standards and established legal reality.

While there was coverage yesterday nationally (though I stuck to local). Seems today wider coverage is harder to find today.

Two things and both are criticism of the overall media.

-less coverage due to less “blood”?   Hitting/affecting infrastructure is not as newsworthy.   Dont take this as me being disappointed in lack of casualties...the opposite...Im very happy there and if its just an inconvenience to me and others to have spotty communication...that is far better than mass loss of life and injury.

-less coverage as the type of terrorism wasn't what drives news.  I think we all know the coverage of would be different if any of the known groups from the middle east would have taken credit.

Very happy with local coverage as they have done well and our first responders here.  Especially those police officers who went in to the area to clear out people prior to the blast.  I believe they have been pushing 6 names...those names should be everywhere showing that bravery

1 hour ago, parasaurolophus said:

Ummmm....What?

It isnt like this admin doesnt throw enough junk against the wall to provide for fact checking glory. Why grab a hold of this? 

The 2nd comment...sure, that is pretty small compared to the overall story about the issues within rolling out the vaccine.

But come on...its a twitter comment...surely there are bigger things as well to complain about than when a writer adds a twitter comment

39 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

The 2nd comment...sure, that is pretty small compared to the overall story about the issues within rolling out the vaccine.

But come on...its a twitter comment...surely there are bigger things as well to complain about than when a writer adds a twitter comment

Yet here you are replying to it :lmao:

39 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

To me, this kind of stuff doesn't even count as "media", despite the "social media" name. To me, Twitter posts fall more under the same umbrella as message-board posts (e.g. Reddit, FBG), personal blogs, etc.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Doug B said:

To me, this kind of stuff doesn't even count as "media", despite the "social media" name. To me, Twitter posts fall more under the same umbrella as message-board posts (e.g. Reddit, FBG), personal blogs, etc.

She has a blue check mark and uses it to advance her stories. 

Thats absurd to just write it off. 

5 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:

How dare you complain about that considering everything going on! But i still get to complain about you complaining about it!

Its hilariously hypocritical. 

Umm...ok.  Really no clue what you are going for here...but have fun.

Edited by sho nuff

Starting to think that the Donkies and Elephants are not the real problem.  The media controls the mindsets of most Americans.   They can do a full court press on a story, or go into a loose zone.  They decide what we are fed and how big our portion will be regardless of the topic.

The media can blast out a story that may not be quite accurate..then a week later offer a small retraction.  Yet like a jury who is told to dismiss the last comment it is stuck in your mind forever.

Edited by Summer Wheat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Starting to think that the Donkies and Elephants are not the real problem.  The media controls the mindsets of most Americans.   They can do a full court press on a story, or go into a loose zone.  They decide what we are fed and how big our portion will be regardless of the topic.

The media can blast out a sorty that may not be quite accurate..then a week later offer a small retraction.  Yet like a jury who is told to dismiss the last comment it is stuck in your mind forever.

For sure to the bold. On what planet should what happens with some of these "Karen" stories be a bigger story than a child murder? 

This story out of Missouri is terrifying. I wonder how many people have even heard about it. 

Even my local news. 90% talking about snow last night. Less than 6 inches fell. Snowmageddon!!!! 

58 minutes ago, parasaurolophus said:
1 hour ago, Doug B said:

She has a blue check mark and uses it to advance her stories. 

Thats absurd to just write it off. 

She writes for The Huffington Post.

Maybe not everyone agrees, but: I put 100 times more weight (maybe more) behind media entities that existed before the popular Internet than I do in Twitter, Reddit posts, Instagram posts, HuffPost, other Internet-based media, etc. The barrier to disseminate ideas has gotten too low.

I don't agree with the idea of using someone's Twitter as a proxy for "the media". Or even a bunch of someones' Twitter. Journalistic standards, such as they are in 2020, are nearly absent on Twitter.

• Like 2

Pardon me for interrupting the hot takes about personal twitter accounts, but here is an actual TV broadcast from an actual media outlet:

Newsmax airs claim that Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger's brother works for a Chinese company. (Raffensperger doesn't have a brother who works for a Chinese company)

Edited by Sea Duck
4 hours ago, Sea Duck said:

Pardon me for interrupting the hot takes about personal twitter accounts, but here is an actual TV broadcast from an actual media outlet:

Newsmax airs claim that Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger's brother works for a Chinese company. (Raffensperger doesn't have a brother)

Yeah, crazy.  You ever watch CNN the last 4 years?  MSNBC?  ABC?  CBS?

We're all being fed an agenda.

45 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

Yeah, crazy.  You ever watch CNN the last 4 years?  MSNBC?  ABC?  CBS?

We're all being fed an agenda.

So the response to flat out lies...is a claim about whataboutism and an agenda?

5 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

What troubles me is why?  What do they gain in the long run?

An agenda?  Ratings...they push what they think people want to hear.

What gains by lying?  In the case right now of newsmax and OAN?  To keep Trump supporting them. Because he is their meal ticket to money right now.

6 hours ago, Sea Duck said:

Newsmax airs claim that Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger's brother works for a Chinese company. (Raffensperger doesn't have a brother)

Thats pretty bad. 

And so is the newsmax gaffe. 

1 hour ago, Summer Wheat said:

What troubles me is why?  What do they gain in the long run?

Money, power and influence.  That's what it's always about.

The media was supposed to be a 4th wall exposing government.  Now they are complicit in it.  We have most of the media (90%) as nothing more than propaganda arms for the DNC, the other 8% for the GOP and then the 2% who are actually doing valid journalism.

21 hours ago, Summer Wheat said:

The media can blast out a sorty that may not be quite accurate..then a week later offer a small retraction.  Yet like a jury who is told to dismiss the last comment it is stuck in your mind forever.

It isn't elephants. It isn't donkeys. And it isn't the media. It's us. They are just representative of our priorities. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Summer Wheat said:

If only there were alternatives to our MSM, right??

2 hours ago, MAC_32 said:

It isn't elephants. It isn't donkeys. And it isn't the media. It's us. They are just representative of our priorities. 

I go back and forth on this. I get that if people didnt demand info immediately and look all over for it, they wouldnt push it out as fast, but I also know that people used to wait for news and still read and watch it back when it was about clicks and more about the news. 

But if the mainstream media is going to fight for clicks at the sake of accuracy, then they shouldnt be considered any kimd of privileged institution anymore. If we dont hold them accountable because they just give the people what they want, then they cant have it both ways. 

The amount of stories now with unnamed sources or where bob told jenna and jenna told me that xyz happened cant be treated as anything more than what they are. Baloney. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MSNBC's Joy Reid sparks outrage by saying conservatives would 'trade all the tax cuts in the world to be able to openly say the n-word' – after claiming Texas was reopening because white people want black people back 'making them steaks'

'I'll say it again: people on the right would trade all the tax cuts for the ability to openly say the n-word like in 'the good old days',' Reid tweeted.

7 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

MSNBC's Joy Reid sparks outrage by saying conservatives would 'trade all the tax cuts in the world to be able to openly say the n-word' – after claiming Texas was reopening because white people want black people back 'making them steaks'

'I'll say it again: people on the right would trade all the tax cuts for the ability to openly say the n-word like in 'the good old days',' Reid tweeted.

She is pretty awful.  Just a shock jock type.  Im tired of those from any side.  Say controversial things to get people talking and arguing and enjoy making money off of it.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Got to amp up the hate from the #2 hate network (behind CNN's #1).  More red meat for the liberal masses, IMO.  You probably won't find many that disagree with her.

• Like 1

I watch zero televised news.  Just want to make sure, she said these things...and is still employed?

She's on a roll lately.   Can't believe she still has a job.   But then again, they kept her on after a blog post that Orin Hatch's questioning of Samuel Alito was akin to performing oral sex on him, and then her claiming that she hadn't actually posted it.  I guess it's really hard for them to fire her.

• Laughing 1
15 minutes ago, djmich said:

I watch zero televised news.  Just want to make sure, she said these things...and is still employed?

This isn't the first time she's said stuff like this.  Yet, still employed.  I wonder why?

7 minutes ago, BladeRunner said:

This isn't the first time she's said stuff like this.  Yet, still employed.  I wonder why?

Ratings.  Same reason people like Hannity and Carlson still have jobs.  If people are talking about them, it means people are watching.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, djmich said:

yep, got a promotion about a year ago.  racism sells whether true or untrue.  ask Rev. Sharpton.  pathetic.

4 minutes ago, shadrap said:

yep, got a promotion about a year ago.  racism sells whether true or untrue.  ask Rev. Sharpton.  pathetic.

It's not just racism.  She just accused Ron Johnson of being a Russian spy.   She'll say anything to get a reaction.  

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

What is her role again?  Is she an opinion show TV host?

Whatever her role is, that's horrid.

18 minutes ago, Rich Conway said:

What is her role again?  Is she an opinion show TV host?

Whatever her role is, that's horrid.

Have the networks added the Hate Monger role yet?  Seems like an opportunity here, lots of 'em on TV

11 minutes ago, Philo Beddoe said:

Pure propaganda 

WaPo

The glowing part of Biden sure.  But timing is key there.  We actually were bracing for more and worse in late March of last year with still so much unknown.  Its a different outlook now a year in and with more and more people getting vaccinated.  Of course there will be a different tone.  There would have been a different tone had Trump been signing a relief bill now in his 2nd term.

26 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

The glowing part of Biden sure.  But timing is key there.  We actually were bracing for more and worse in late March of last year with still so much unknown.  Its a different outlook now a year in and with more and more people getting vaccinated.  Of course there will be a different tone.  There would have been a different tone had Trump been signing a relief bill now in his 2nd term.

🤣 Don’t hurt yourself trying so hard.

• Like 1