Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Tarik Cohen - RB - CHI

JFS171

24 minutes ago, tricky92 said:

Howard and Cohen are obviously the two best offensive players on the team. The coaching staff needs to find ways to keep both involved regardless of game script. 

Saw Carolina do that with Stewart and McCaffrey. McCaffrey in front of Stewart, play looked like a short pass to McCaffrey, defense bit, Stewart followed behind McCaffrey after chipping the defender, pass went to Stewart and he scored. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuEwedha-4I

Fox can crush any rookie ... has done it often in his career.

Cohen is by far their best playmaker in the passing game.  The Bears should be ashamed of themselves at his total lack of involvement last night until the game was woefully out of hand, and yet Cohen still didn't completely kill your week in full PPR.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, gradin123 said:

He is limited by the fact, the coach for some reason mixes Benny Cunningham into the mix. By the way, I dont think I have ever seen a team quit as early in a game as the Bears did tonight. Granted they were not likely to make a comeback but to just run every down and not even try is just baffling to me.

and saved Howard's production this week. If the bears are this commited to the run even down 35 to 7 ... it makes Howard the safer play, especially with Cunningham taking Tarik snaps. I mean, the entire appeal of Cohen is that he is safe when game script puts Bears behind, catching passes in garbage time. If you told me that the Bears would be down 28-7 or whatever it was at halftime or 35 to 7 at the start of the 4th quarter (or whatever it was) who would score the most points, Howard or Cohen I think 99% of us would have chose Cohen in those situations. Not good for confidence going forward.

ETA: What's even more baffling to me is if you are this committed to the run, why throw early in the game at all? Why not stay committed when the score was 0-7 or 0-14 when the game was still in reach. Its like he went to the pass, got all these INTs, then went down big, then remembered to stay with the run. If he did that early maybe game would have been closer.

Edited by mnmplayer

The answer is to run out of 21 personnel with Howard at FB & Cohen at HB. Pass out of play-action (unless in an obvious passing down).

It wouldn't be hard to put in some stuff for Howard at FB. Play the thunder & lightning game. It would also make Glennon more effective.

The Bears would be really tough to defend.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

The answer is to run out of 21 personnel with Howard at FB & Cohen at HB. Pass out of play-action (unless in an obvious passing down).

It wouldn't be hard to put in some stuff for Howard at FB. Play the thunder & lightning game. It would also make Glennon more effective.

If only Bill Walsh was the coach. It would be like Rathman and Craig all over again. Imagine if the 9ers had Howard and Cohen in the backfield in 1988 with Rice and Montana and that defense. 16-0.

Edited by mnmplayer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Football Jones said:

What can you do with Howard at the FB spot, other than dives?  Do you want him taking on LBs as a lead blocker?   I'm all for finding ways to get them on the field at the same time, but playing Howard at the FB spot isn't the solution, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Concept Coop said:

What can you do with Howard at the FB spot, other than dives?  Do you want him taking on LBs as a lead blocker?   I'm all for finding ways to get them on the field at the same time, but playing Howard at the FB spot isn't the solution, IMO. 

You don't want to run out of the I. It limits the FB. A split backfield set would be much better. Similar to what pro teams used to do.

There's a ton of things you could do with Howard at FB. Virtually limitless. 

It's their best option by a long shot, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

You don't want to run out of the I. It limits the FB. A split backfield set would be much better. Similar to what pro teams used to do.

There's a ton of things you could do with Howard at FB. Virtually limitless. 

It's their best option by a long shot, IMO.

Do you have any recent examples you can point to?  I'm all for some wildcat and dive/end around option.  But I can't think of any examples of teams using split backs to run the ball as a staple.  

Edited by Concept Coop

1 hour ago, Concept Coop said:

Do you have any recent examples you can point to?  I'm all for some wildcat and dive/end around option.  But I can't think of any examples of teams using split backs to run the ball as a staple.  

It would be similar to the Titans' philosophy. A little different, but the split set was a staple of pro offenses for years. It's still 11 on 11.

In 21 personnel, the FB essentially takes the place of the slot WR. In the Bears' case, if the D goes to more of a run package, they could seamlessly switch to 11 personnel due to Cohen's ability to play a traditional slot WR. It really makes it tough on the D.

Howard doesn't have to be a great blocker. Depending on the play, he might need to take on a LB, but he's a tough guy. The upside is the countless things you could do with two outstanding RBs with different skills sets on the field at the same time.

Edited by Football Jones

2 hours ago, Football Jones said:

The Bears coaches are so boring. I wish they would take a page out of the Pats playbook. Split Jordan and Cohen out in the same backfield, even try 2 TEs and the shotgun to give Glennon more time. What happened to that flipping' wildcat that was so effective in game 1? 

Loggains is a really boring OC, Fox is a boring HC, totally unimaginative. I think this offense has more ability than it's showing.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Insein said:

Yep. It's over. Can't get anything in a trade. Can't use him with Fox. Almost droppable at this point. Real shame. Guy has some talent. Maybe Chicago's new coach next year will be better at offense.

I'd still buy in dynasty. Not expecting much in redraft at this point.

Jeez I spent just over 20% my FABB budget on Cohen to start the season--looks like wasted money at this point. After losing Beckham to an injury, I'll be playing receiver roulette with the WW through the rest of season. Those dollars might have been useful over the next several weeks.

56 minutes ago, Smack Tripper said:

christ this guy went for 120 bucks of a 200 dollar cap in one of my leagues, I was furious I was outbid at 100 but thank god

I dropped $107 on him out of $200 FAAB... but, managed to package him up in a deal last week, opening a roster spot to grab McKinnon. So far, looks like it's working out.

u guys seem to be focused on game situation and fox's use of him. i haven't watched him play before this game, but in this game, he looks lost. he moves around A LOT, but he's constantly moving side to side. never forward. i can see now why people thought he was exciting, but howard is finding yards where there doesn't look like anything is there. is this game an anomaly in terms of how cohen runs?

i own both howard and cohen, but i think i'll be dropping cohen. i don't see how this kid can be an every down back running like this in case howard goes down.

12 minutes ago, Pigskin Fanatic said:

u guys seem to be focused on game situation and fox's use of him. i haven't watched him play before this game, but in this game, he looks lost. he moves around A LOT, but he's constantly moving side to side. never forward. i can see now why people thought he was exciting, but howard is finding yards where there doesn't look like anything is there. is this game an anomaly in terms of how cohen runs?

i own both howard and cohen, but i think i'll be dropping cohen. i don't see how this kid can be an every down back running like this in case howard goes down.

He wasn't supposed to be an every down back. He was supposed to be the COP who caught passes and made things happen. Only they gave the second part to Benny ####### Cunningham now.

• Like 5

Very dancey...and seemed to slip quite a bit, mainly on returns.  Reminded me of Knowshon with the slippy feet.  Own him in one league (dynasty) and will hold until his value climbs through a few big plays or he gets consistent usage.  Was probably a luxury late round pick for most anyway so still has plenty of upside in dynasty.

They stopped throwing to him. He's got great hands and is thrives in space. His skillset almost requires him to catch the ball past the line of scrimmage or run outside. They are running him up the middle which isn't going to work.He had 8 targets in each of the first 2 weeks and there was an effort to get him the ball in space and it was effective. Look at his week 1 TD. Where did those plays go?

5 minutes ago, Wise Old Owl said:

They stopped throwing to him. He's got great hands and is thrives in space. His skillset almost requires him to catch the ball past the line of scrimmage or run outside. They are running him up the middle which isn't going to work.He had 8 targets in each of the first 2 weeks and there was an effort to get him the ball in space and it was effective. Look at his week 1 TD. Where did those plays go?

This is exactly right. He has to be used in space - he's fast but he's not that quick laterally so getting him the ball behind the line of scrimmage isn't going to work unless he can easily get to the edge. I don't know why they've completely stopped using him in the passing game - that's where his value is. He's a better runner betwen the tackles than you'd think for his size because he's so tough, but that's still not how you want to use him.

1 minute ago, packer_junkie said:

The lower usage of cohen seemed to work great vs green bay & vs minnesota. The offense is really humming since they starting giving Benny Cunningham half his targets. 

Yeah this is the most frustrating part. They looked half decent to start the season, then they took Cohen out of their game plan and put Benny freaking Cunningham in and gave him Cohen's touches. It hasn't worked and isn't working. 

I'm in between a rock and a hard place this week... if Diggs doesn't go I'm stuck between Cohen and Alex Collins...