What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Watch - Chris Godwin WR Tampa Bay (1 Viewer)

pghrob

Hail to the Chief
Didn't see a thread for this guy. Penn State wide receiver seems to be having a very good camp turning heads. They drafted him in the third round... some prognosticators had him ranked higher as a second-round prospect. 

By all accounts he might not make much in the way of noise this year but ihe is a solid  dynasty stash for next.

If OJ Howard pans out it seems that, long term, he will remain the 3rd option (at best) in the TB passing game.

If OJ flops then he becomes truly interesting and now is the time to acquire him.

I liked him pre-draft, a lot.  But his landing spot is a killer and severely caps his ceiling.  DeSean can be temporary/short term, maybe Brate regresses, but Evans and Howard are there for the long haul.  Even if Howard does bust it will be 2-3 years before TBB admits that and moves on, and even if that happens, there's still Mike Evans in the way.  I just don't see any path to anything beyond WR3 numbers.

The window of buying this kid is still open. He is going to be a good player in this league and already playing like a savvy veteran from some aspects. He made some fantastic contested catches last week. Has good hands and is not bothered by contact. He has been buried on the depth chart but things change quickly in this league. Jackson is getting up there in age and who knows what is going on with Evans (and if they will end up resigning him). Came away very impressed with Godwin and think he starts forcing his way on the field sooner rather than later. 

Bucs OC Todd Monken said sophomore WR Chris Godwin has earned the right to start.

Godwin showed out when given a shot as a rookie, turning 55 targets into 34 catches for 525 yards and a score. It would make sense for the Bucs to get him more work, but his path to targets is blocked by Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson as well as a quality duo at tight end. The coaching staff should find a way to get him on the field in three-wide sets, but it is unlikely Godwin returns redraft value this season without an injury. That said, he is a great hold in Dynasty formats, especially with Jackson potentially entering his final season in Tampa.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter 

May 17 - 1:02 PM

Didn't realize he finished the season off so well.  If Jackson is gone in '19 (due $10M), then this guy's stock could really rise.

Glad I held him in one of my dynasties.

Didn't realize he finished the season off so well.  If Jackson is gone in '19 (due $10M), then this guy's stock could really rise.

I am in there with you.  I cannot remember a time in the last 20+ years where I did not know a rookie WR (or any for that matter) who finished with 500+ yards.  There is a first time for everything...

I got him as a sleeper this year. Might be starting in 2018, will probably play some in the slot, and can kick outside too. A healthy Jameis should mean good things for him, even though Jameis isn't all that great, and obviously not efficient.

They can release DeSean after this season with no cap hit, and Adam Humphries (slot) is an UFA as well after the year.  Godwin will likely be starting on the outside in 2019, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a big increase in targets this year. 

Monken's "starter" comment is based on Godwin being more than just a fill in receiver.  They will have specific packages that he's a part of.

They can release DeSean after this season with no cap hit, and Adam Humphries (slot) is an UFA as well after the year.  Godwin will likely be starting on the outside in 2019, and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a big increase in targets this year. 

Monken's "starter" comment is based on Godwin being more than just a fill in receiver.  They will have specific packages that he's a part of.
They would be smart to keep Desean though.

Second-year players primed for a breakout year in 2018

Excerpt:

WR Chris Godwin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

2017 Overall Grade: 79.9

Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ third-round pick Chris Godwin had little opportunity to push for reps ahead of veteran wide receivers Mike Evans and DeSean Jackson in 2017, leading to a limited role for the former Penn State product for most of his rookie season. However, when opportunity struck, Godwin took full advantage.

Though he played in just 41.0 percent (446/1,088) of the team’s offensive snaps, Godwin proved efficient with his route running, as he ranked 13th in yards per route run (2.03) among wide receivers with at least 41 targets in 2017. Godwin also earned an 82.0-plus overall game grade in three of the four contests in which he logged at least 40 offensive snaps in last season, and his lone down performance only rendered a 73.0 overall grade.

Godwin will still have his work laid out for him in terms of earning play time with both Evans and Jackson expected to reclaim starting roles in 2018, but he’ll still garner some targets in a reserve role and even more so if he can hone his skillset in the slot and take snaps away from veteran Adam Humphries. As Tampa Bay’s primary slot receiver in 2017, Humphries earned a career-low 67.8 overall grade.

The Tampa Bay Times' Rick Stroud singled out sophomore WR Chris Godwin among his Bucs' standouts this spring.

Per Stroud, Godwin "makes a lot of plays every day" in practice and has shined into minicamp. Godwin has been the subject of constant praise throughout the offseason after he finished his rookie year on a high note down the stretch and performed admirably in spot starts. OC Todd Monken has said Godwin has earned the right to start and should see heavy snaps in three-wide sets if the coaching staff allows him to leapfrog Adam Humphries as the No. 3 wideout.

Source: Chris Godwin on Twitter 

Jun 12 - 10:12 PM

I’ve been trying to buy, guess I’ll have to wait a bit and hope the buzz dies a little in the next couple weeks. 

The Bucs don't open their preseason until Thursday night at Miami, and there are nearly five weeks until the games count.

But make no mistake, Tampa Bay plans to start Godwin opposite Evans at receiver this season.

Jackson, 31, only had 50 catches for 668 yards and three touchdowns last season. By all accounts, he's having a great training camp and still possesses rare speed to get behind any defense.

But Godwin, 22, is a more complete player. At 6 feet 1, 209 pound, has size to go with speed and a willingness to provide help as a blocker in the run game.

NFL depth charts typically list only two players at receiver, and the Bucs won't release one that matters until the week of their Sept. 9 regular-season opener at New Orleans. Regardless what it might or might not say, Godwin is well on his way to winning the job.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/2018/08/05/chris-godwin-already-has-earned-a-new-role-for-the-bucs-this-season-starting-receiver/

Article got picked up by Rotoworld

The Bucs list "Chris Godwin or DeSean Jackson" as their starter opposite Mike Evans.

The Bucs have talked up Godwin as a starter and they are trying to put their money where their mouth is, if not hedging a bit. Taking advantage of D-Jax's bumps and bruises, Godwin came alive in the second half last season, catching 26 passes for 442 yards over the Bucs' final eight games. He's an upside WR5 in an offense that figures to throw a lot.

Related: DeSean Jackson

Source: Jenna Laine on Twitter 

Sep 4 - 3:42 PM

Goodness... he made Malcolm Butler look like a chump.
Wow -- the guy did about 6/7 stutter-step jukes on that route, transitioning well to speed without sacrificing separation, against a seasoned Pro-Bowl vet who has seen his fair share of jukes. 

Impressive. 

He was already on my FA watch list. Will be watching this carefully as I agree, when Jameis returns, he could hold value this year even in redraft.

barackdhouse said:
I've got him in about 90% of my redraft leagues. I'd say I'm overexposed but it was an 11th-13th round pick each time. Plus 'overexposed'? Really? Such an insensitive word. JK
I’m with you. I know the experts are saying not to go all in because of Fitzpatrick but f it. You take that upside in those rounds over the low ceiling medium floor guys.

I’m with you. I know the experts are saying not to go all in because of Fitzpatrick but f it. You take that upside in those rounds over the low ceiling medium floor guys.
I should have said redraft *and* best balls. I only have a few shares of redrafts (hee hee), but a ton of bestball. I use the cheap MFL10s and DRAFTs as pseudo mocks. They're real and therefore a ton more useful than mocks, but I get the added bonus of maybe winning a few extra. 

One definite trend I have seen going back to May is that Godwin has had a steady but strangely quiet drumbeat. Yet his ADP, in my head, hasn't budged. Maybe that's because I'm the one drafting him every time?! I wonder if Winston hadn't been suspended if Godwin would be a ton more hyped. I'm about to do my last big draft tonight. My auction. Out of 200, I wouldn't be surprised if he falls and I get him for like 2 bucks. It's a pretty top heavy draft. I paid 80/200 for Antonio Brown once. Anyway, on the eve of the reg season I'm a little shocked Godwin isn't being talked about more. Rambling rant over.

SameSongNDance said:
I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more chatter on these boards about Godwin. I wonder how long it's going to take for him to turn Evans into a 1b. 
Had a tough call deciding between Godwin, John Ross & Tyler Lockett. Doesn't matter which I chose. The other two are still free agents.

Had a tough call deciding between Godwin, John Ross & Tyler Lockett. Doesn't matter which I chose. The other two are still free agents.

wish I had more roster spots because I'll have the same decision I think
I do a lot of ffpc leagues which last 20 rounds so I have room to roster 3-4 of these guys. I target Godwin, Ross, Golladay and Cole everywhere. I'm kind of surprised that I keep landing them because I'm not reaching. 

Are you sure?
No, I'm not. Because apparently taking Cole in the 9th, Golladay in the 10th and Godwin/Ross in the 11th is reaching according the MFL10s and ffcalc. 

But according to my own projections I'm getting value. Once you get into the WR40+ range the difference between the majority of WRs seems marginal - it comes down to preference. Like.. in no universe do I roster Jordy Nelson over Godwin but apparently the market thinks he should be going 3 rounds before him. 

But yeah, I pretty much just straight up lied in my previous post. 

No, I'm not. Because apparently taking Cole in the 9th, Golladay in the 10th and Godwin/Ross in the 11th is reaching according the MFL10s and ffcalc. 

But according to my own projections I'm getting value. Once you get into the WR40+ range the difference between the majority of WRs seems marginal - it comes down to preference. Like.. in no universe do I roster Jordy Nelson over Godwin but apparently the market thinks he should be going 3 rounds before him. 

But yeah, I pretty much just straight up lied in my previous post. 
I know man, I was kidding.

It was the most time consuming pick of my draft choosing between my preferences.

I chose Lockett. But...

Godwin just went undrafted in my auction. 9 starters 8 bench. I got stuck with Ty Montgomery for 2/200, which isn't bad, but we have a FCFS free for all once the rosters are loaded. I'll probably try to get him.

I do a lot of ffpc leagues which last 20 rounds so I have room to roster 3-4 of these guys. I target Godwin, Ross, Golladay and Cole everywhere. I'm kind of surprised that I keep landing them because I'm not reaching. 
I enjoy your analyses greatly SSD, they are very thoughtful and backed up by information. Love that. 

There are other analysts similarly high on this same set of players. Sigmund Bloom loves Godwin amd actually recommended against drafting Evan's in the second as a result. 

We will see in about 4 months. 

Should be a hot add if he wasn’t drafted. Two great grabs and another deep ball target overthrown where he smoked his man. 

DeSean got pretty banged up today so Godwin will start next week if he can’t go. 

Just picked him up fcfs.  Had him late last year and short bench.  

Djax is glassman and even the amish rifle is gunning.  2 good qbs is nice.

And tb just dropped almost 50 on NO

Had to drop Sutton tho.  Hope I'm right.

Chris Godwin (toe) is expected to play in Week 3 against the Steelers.

Godwin's toe injury was never considered to be anything serious, and Auman noted the second-year pro "looked fine" when media watched him in practice. Godwin will still likely get slapped with the 'questionable' tag when the Bucs release their injury report. Consider him probable for Monday night against the Steelers.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter 

Sep 22 - 11:46 AM

Users who are viewing this thread