What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans IDPs (2 Viewers)

Ahhhh....the classic blind follower of the previous weeks' stats.  Make sure to come back after week 2 and let us know if you still feel this way.
Actually, Byard looked very good last year too, and week one was a confirmation/continuation of that.

The concern wity Byard is simply about where henfits in the scheme...because he is good enough to be the Titans' best option in multiple places.  If they decide the second-best "in the box guy" they have is better than the second-best "centerfielder" then Byard will end up playing further off the line.  I'm hoping they stay with the Tampa-2 type look they were using in preseason, which moves Byard around enough to get him in coverage and up at the line...

Ahhhh....the classic blind follower of the previous weeks' stats.  Make sure to come back after week 2 and let us know if you still feel this way.
Ahhhh...the classic gotta-be-an-jackhole-instead-of-engaging-in-a-discussion guy. Since he Titans were not on in my area, feel free to enlighten me as to why he's not a good player instead of being the forum jackwagon. 

LeShaun Sims demoted?  Seems him and Brice McCain are both losing favor.
This is our dance. NFL teams often start 3 CBs because the offense starts 3 WRs, but we are like "which two will it be?"

McCain is benched, not Sims. He had 10 starts last year as their slot corner.
Ryan is the slot corner as per Mularkey and snap counts

The Jags lost their best player? playmaker? and their backup WRs aren't all that special.  The Jags could use a lot of 2 WR set Sunday...it's possible. They have always been a 3 WR team like most everyone in the NFL.

I think this is about Adoree's confidence and massaging a rookie. The last two weeks of camp were how Sims held him so far off it was impressive. Coaches and everyone spoke on how well Sims did. He tweaked a hammy and sat week one. He's been excellent.

If the Jags run a two WR set, I do think this pans out as predicted originally. Ryan is their best corner, one of few guys you swear you can see thinking on the field. Sims is a good blanketing type. Adoree needs the reps.

Aside from inury stuff- The Jags have rocked against the Titans. Bortles always throws for 300+ yards and Arob had 25% of his yards last year against the Titans. The Titans have serious issues with runs up the middle (Antwaun on PS and 8 missed tackles by ILB) and free safety issues. A typical NFL responses is to pound Fournette at the DL and chuck it deep. Cyprien and Searcy struggled as the outfielder as they picked the wrong WR to go to against 3 WR sets. They reacted before it was thrown and were stuck out of position...often. (Denzel Johnson on the PS played it very well) If the Jags go 3 WR then that'll force the Titans to play Byard deep and the Jags want him away from the LOS. 

You're gonna have to guess here how the Jags respond without ARob.

My thinking is the Titans come out throwing and try to get a quick lead. Then run all day. If the Jags fall behind it'll have to be a 3 WR set to come back.

It's a tough call.

The Titans are very high on Sims. A simple google will show ya tons of quotes and articles. It's not that Sims is a prob

17 snaps for Austin Johnson.... that's not good. Seems like a nice, sneaky waiver add that isn't worth holding after week 1.

Did you see anything that makes it look like he would be a worthwhile hold for DT, Bri?
I was not kidding or wrong about Antwaun Woods (and DeAngelo Brown) being far better than Sylvester Williams and Williams playing poorly. He got pulled often and messed up almost every play. They used Jones at NT, Casey, and Klug. Then 60 some odd snaps for LBs on the DL with hand in the dirt as a DL...one of the three, not extra like OLB.

Their prob in 2016 with Al Woods was the NT gets pushed around so they move Casey to NT. This wrecks him. He can hold the fort some, but he's a stud outside. The entire offseason was how awesome Woods has been (he even started) and how they finally have this situation solved. A $7 mil contract for Williams and maybe egg on JRob's face? Something somehow they went with the guy that stunk all summer. 

Mularkey looked grumpy about it. He said Williams is gonna play more and has to produce. (I took that as "or else") He said Daquan is our nose and after saying he wouldn't slide outside, he back-tracked some on that statement. I know for a fact that Antwaun is in the DL meetings and working with the ones still. Ya don't do that from the PS. I don't know what they're doing but the second a team claims him they are totally stuck for trying to be cute. They better be careful. In a fb group, people are claiming DeAngelo is still in nashville. Why would a 3rd string NT stay after being cut? It's very much "what is going on here?"

I didn't like their D last week at all. Lebeau had his OLBs 4 and 5 DL look so far less often than normal. Austin had 3 guys on him almost every snap. Lebeau always has Orakpo or Morgan there. It was different, a bad different.  Third and long, yeah maybe they go with a sincere 3 DL, but otherwise they almost never do. There's always more guys on the LOS.

In summary, they created this whole mess playing Williams and keeping just one NT. It's biting them and causing a big problem. 

I was not kidding or wrong about Antwaun Woods (and DeAngelo Brown) being far better than Sylvester Williams and Williams playing poorly. He got pulled often and messed up almost every play. They used Jones at NT, Casey, and Klug. Then 60 some odd snaps for LBs on the DL with hand in the dirt as a DL...one of the three, not extra like OLB.

Their prob in 2016 with Al Woods was the NT gets pushed around so they move Casey to NT. This wrecks him. He can hold the fort some, but he's a stud outside. The entire offseason was how awesome Woods has been (he even started) and how they finally have this situation solved. A $7 mil contract for Williams and maybe egg on JRob's face? Something somehow they went with the guy that stunk all summer. 

Mularkey looked grumpy about it. He said Williams is gonna play more and has to produce. (I took that as "or else") He said Daquan is our nose and after saying he wouldn't slide outside, he back-tracked some on that statement. I know for a fact that Antwaun is in the DL meetings and working with the ones still. Ya don't do that from the PS. I don't know what they're doing but the second a team claims him they are totally stuck for trying to be cute. They better be careful. In a fb group, people are claiming DeAngelo is still in nashville. Why would a 3rd string NT stay after being cut? It's very much "what is going on here?"

I didn't like their D last week at all. Lebeau had his OLBs 4 and 5 DL look so far less often than normal. Austin had 3 guys on him almost every snap. Lebeau always has Orakpo or Morgan there. It was different, a bad different.  Third and long, yeah maybe they go with a sincere 3 DL, but otherwise they almost never do. There's always more guys on the LOS.

In summary, they created this whole mess playing Williams and keeping just one NT. It's biting them and causing a big problem. 
He was asking if Austin Johnson would be worth holding onto since he is designated at DT.  Generally DT's score less, so if we get actual DE performance from a DT starting spot it could be a huge advantage.

He probably has to play outfielder this week with Cyprien out
You think?  I was going to use Searcy in a few leagues that I play matchups or have injuries, but was afraid Byard would get the LOS and Searcy would play Centerfield...

He was asking if Austin Johnson would be worth holding onto since he is designated at DT.  Generally DT's score less, so if we get actual DE performance from a DT starting spot it could be a huge advantage.
Correct. Austin as a DT in MFL means we could "steal" some DE points at DT, which is huge. Though I think the answer may be there, it's just not 100% clear.

I think the part below is discussing the role/formation as less 4 DL lineups, and Austin Johnson in there without the support of Morgan. Some clarification, Bri? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
They made it a mess. Austin still could be something special as the DE opposite Casey.

Without Woods, it won't be easier this week against Fournette. Two games in it's as if they've faced Bam Morris and Brandon Jacobs. I'd like to see them face an ordinary back that isn't bringing a sledgehammer up the middle. Johnson should do fine then.

Maybe drop him and pick him back up?

Like the old Steelers with the Bus, we can discuss a whole lot of other things but here is this bruiser big RB and a weak NT. I don't think Austin will have stats worth a darn til they face a typical RB and play some normal D

You think?  I was going to use Searcy in a few leagues that I play matchups or have injuries, but was afraid Byard would get the LOS and Searcy would play Centerfield...
Cyprien was famous for not being good against the pass, but being an excellent thumper against the run. The Titans signed him and he was to help with their weak middle. Titans fans barked because they remember picking on him in games against the Jags. He played deep, outfielder. The presence of two excellent WRs in Cooper and Crabtree yet Lebeau still put him deep.

If Cyprien was rated like 3 of 10 in pass coverage, then Searcy is a 5. He's not good. The Titans usually had Daimion Stafford and would pull Searcy on obvious passing downs.

Their deep free safety options are Searcy, Curtis Riley, and Kalan Reed. The latter two barely have any actual defensive experience but have been special teams contributors. That brings me to Brynden Trawick. His Raider career as a FS was just like his preseason. Nice play, then three where he's out of position. 

Some think Lebeau loves the SS role so much he doesn't care if there's junk at FS and that's why he had old Rashad Johnson and Michael Griffin there the previous two years.

I think the Jags kill them deep, he better get Byard back there.

My reporter friends are split on this too. It doesn't get any clarification asking them.

Byard played some FS last year as a rookie and Searcy has been a SS ever since joining the Titans. My gut goes with the familiarity there.

Here's another opinion or option- When the Titans ran deep drills, they put Byard and Searcy deep with each taking a side. Wallace filled the roaming role. Didn't see Avery or Woodyard

Hey can anyone shed some light on WTF is going on with Avery Williamson? 3 downer last year, this year week 1 he was sub 50% I think, and another poor performance this week. Is it time to cut?

Austin Johnson with a donut, not much of an advantage of being listed at DT that way ;)
I really didn't think he had no tackles watching it. They went with a four man front (Walden down linemen) for a good percent of the game and Johnson did pretty well. He was "right there" often so I was surprised too when he had zilch

Here's what I posted in the pool:

During week three of preseason, Wallace was given a break. He earned it and praise and... all that.  His back tightened up on him and he has had trouble getting it right ever since. He's played and come out of the two games with it tight and ultimately barely played because of it. Brown played more because of Wallace's health.

Now he's having back surgery. A tweak became a pull became a tear.

He was to be a very key player this year on D and that's signficant. Woodyard will be "too old" soon and he'd replace him. Was to sub in for Morgan and Orakpo. If anyone got hurt, he'd start. Big loss for depth. 

adrn005 said:
Hey can anyone shed some light on WTF is going on with Avery Williamson? 3 downer last year, this year week 1 he was sub 50% I think, and another poor performance this week. Is it time to cut?
Williamson and Woodyard combined to miss twelve tackles in week one. They went high on Marshawn which is pretty dopey. Woodyard had an excellent week two and Avery was fine. Tipped an INT and made some plays. They went with 3 OLBs a bunch this week with Brown in the middle

NFL alignment variation is figured out by taking the most common group of players on the field and figuring out how many snaps they were on the field together. Then you take the # of snaps other alignments were in on the field. You wind up with a ratio (converted to percent) of how often each group is on the field.

The Titans have more alignments than every other NFL team.

The variation from their most common group is 87%. Highest in (since being recorded) NFL history is 64%, common is 53,55% range.

So that's one reason the Titans have been difficult for IDP. Wallace's injury (above) and Lebeau setting a record for subbing

Titans variations still very high/

After a bad preseason, it seems the solution to Williams' struggles is to play him very little. He had about the same snaps as Kevin Dodd in his first game and David King who played in his second game with the team. (I still think Antwaun Woods, as he was named the starter this summer but....) 

Since Dodd is horrific in coverage and Walden isn't very good, they've been using a 4 man line a lot the past two weeks. The Titans had Walden as a down lineman a bunch in week two. This week Walden and Dodd took turns. 

Austin Johnson is still playing end and has precious few snaps at NT. No idea why he's still listed as a NT. In the 4 man set, Johnson and Casey moved around a lot. Wilson poised a unique challenge. Orakpo and Morgan seemed to have the green light to go after Wilson but the DL seemed to be asked to be disciplined and just win their battle and hold their spot. Casey had an awesome PFF grade but the RB ran right to him often. 3 weeks in and Austin is consistently a foot away from making a nice play. He's "always" right there when someone else makes a play. His day will come. Klug was inactive. Jones is getting better and better inside. 

One of my biggest problems with all this 4 DL stuff is they have a pro bowl 4-3 DE in Morgan. They switched to a 3-4. Why not use the guy that used to be a stud? He's eons better than Walden or Dodd.

Jayon Brown suffered a concussion or possible concussion but was evaluated and returned to the game. Byard struggled to be the outfielder while he was out. PFF saying he only allowed one completion is way off. In their writing they even mention he accidentally left a TE all alone. Wilson marched them up the field twice, largely going to Graham and Wilson.

Curtis Riley played very well. He almost had as many snaps as Searcy and late in the game, he was in over Searcy. He has really stepped up the last two weeks. 

Mularkey said he'd update us on Cyprien on Wednesday but it seems too quick for him to return. When Cyprien returns, I wonder if it will be Riley or Searcy as the third S.

Byard had a series where he made three plays in a row to force a punt.

Morgan and Orakpo were awesome this week. Morgan did well last week and has really been flying in fast to the QB. 

Baldwin was consistently getting catches but not for big gains. He was smothered and it was often "yeah what can ya do." Ryan continued to play great over the slot, then Lebeau switched him. Ryan was playing outside CB. That brought McCain into the slot and he was getting picked on. Ultimately they went with a dime package which meant their awful zone. It was a switch that almost let the Seahawks back into the game. Sims has been very good. He got picked a week ago and this week, he got faked well on one. So what! The rest of the time he is all over the WR. McCain kills me. If he's in the game, Sims usually isn't unless it's dime.

Us Titans fans are not used to our CBs being all over the WRs. We regularly gave up huge plays and wondered why our CBs look like the closest fans observing a play rather than tackling or making a play on the ball. The CBs are smothering this year. It's fantastic. Some fans want WRs held to zero catches as if that's a true testament of a great corner. That's a bit much to ask. They smother the WRs and really make them earn it to make a catch. That's very good and I'm totally pleased with that. Richardson and Lockett are impressive athletes with nice moves. "We" stayed with those types for like the first time ever. 

Woodyard was fantastic and I haven't been a fan. You'd have to go find some Bronco game to find a better performance by him. He's been rushing right where the OL doubles Casey. They create a hole and he gets right through. He's timing it perfectly and ...really looked great this past week. A better OL will pick him up and not double Casey, but the Hawks line has issues. I think they had three linemen with less than a 40 score by PFF.

Last year we were always saying how special Casey was but he wasn't always given the respect. Three games in and teams are all over him in 2017. If he can absorb three linemen, the others ought to be making more plays. BUT Lebeau does these sets with just 2 DL and other oddities and maybe that's all Casey's responsibility is in those sets- to absorb linemen. He would greatly benefit from Woods being there. 

Avery is still missing tackles but it's less. He's the only man in the middle sometimes and if the DL loses a battle, he's gotta fight off three guys to make a play. Often times he's fighting off linemen with one arm and trying to wrestle the RB with the other, then Byard comes and gets the tackle. Avery stopped him and stood him up, but he gets no credit for that. When Lebeau sends outside rushers, if they don't get to the RB or QB, Avery often has to deal with whatever is left. 

Austin Johnson played a lot of NT today and he was bad. Ya know, the guy Antwaun Woods beat out in 2016. He struggled during the season, and yet looked good filling in for Casey which ultimately led to them switching him to End. Today, they "had a bright idea." It went from Johnson playing poorly to Sylvester getting pushed around. It was brutal.

The outfielder stuff I mentioned earlier? HUGE problem today. The corners had no help over the top. Even if Byard or Riley/Searcy were there, they weren't fast enough at getting to the WR to actually help. 

The Texans must have read how Jayon Brown had issues shaking a blocker in college and got over it, shaking most FBs and RBs. They decided to send a blocking TE or OL at him whenever he was near enough to the LOS. He couldn't shake them.

Adoree was beaten and lost that skip in his step confidence. He should have been pulled. The rook got his experience, let's leave him with a little pride.

Another "bright idea" was to play McCain, not Sims, more often. 

Casey was swarmed and couldn't win a battle. Orakpo was everywhere, but too late. Morgan looked pretty good at times. He'd be the only one I'd say played well. 

It was a horrible blowout BUT Mularkey's speech was that changes will be coming. That was not the "forget this and move forward" that I was expecting. Changes could be anything-personnel, preparation, subs, scheme....anything. Since practices are closed, and Mularkey has been (newly) coy this year, we probably won't know before Sunday. Two reporters antagonized Mularkey at the presser today and he walked out in a huff. My gut says there is no way he's forthcoming now. If there was a shred of a chance, it's gone

Curtis Riley played very well. He almost had as many snaps as Searcy and late in the game, he was in over Searcy. He has really stepped up the last two weeks. 

Mularkey said he'd update us on Cyprien on Wednesday but it seems too quick for him to return. When Cyprien returns, I wonder if it will be Riley or Searcy as the third S.

Riley 44 snaps

Searcy 32

Mularkey presser-

Evaluating corners and rotation/usage

Displeased with Avery's hesitation- did NOT say a change is coming with Avery

Jayon Brown replaced Woodyard- not expected to be serious

Riley has seemed to take Searcy's spot but yesterday Searcy made a few nice plays and pretty much stayed in after that.

Remember earlier when I said this Titans pass D is all over WRs but they're making a bunch of catches anyway? Cutler didn't have the nerve to make a lot of throws. He ate it or threw it away many times. I guess that's another way they can impact a game- if a QB has no nerve. It sure made them look better than they have truly been.

Logan Ryan was amazing. Jarvis Landry was getting angry and pushing people after plays. A shutdown corner in the slot has to be something to work with like we've got one position taken care of. He's not a gem outside, but he's so special in that slot. I'd put him as allowing maybe 5-6 passes in four games in the slot. Outside, he's not the same.

Sims got juked and whiffed on a tackle otherwise he was sharp. Adoree did well too.

Tye Smith continues to be the best CB in the NFL in the "oh you're putting a minimum # of snaps in" category. :-) He plays one or two snaps a game and has a couple PD, has only allowed a one-yard completion, and now has an INT. He is the reason they have statistical minimums.

Sylvester Williams, same garbage. Klug replaced him and then Jones and Casey played some nose. When they needed to stop Ayaji to get a 2-minute drive going, Williams was pushed all the way in front of the LT. Crazy to pull him and then put him back for a game-changing stop.

Orakpo is really struggling to get past the LOS and get to the QB. When Walden is on his side, Orakpo is in coverage. No clue why they don't rush both. This also illustrates Walden playing more of a DE role too.

Morgan's pass rush is excellent right now.

Avery was playing less til Woodyard got hurt.

Brown was on Landry on a 2-3 yard goalline D. They're a little too giddy about how fast he is. Landry got position, turned, and scored no prob

Riley and Searcy FS most of the day, Byard was SS. I'm not confident Cyprien plays a lot when he returns. Byard scooped up a fumble yesterday and made a few key tackles. He's a gem of a SS. It doesn't seem wise to move him back to FS for Cyp to play.

Contradict myself- If Woodyard is out or Avery is benched some; the Titans played 3 safeties on 55% of snaps last year IIRC. It makes more sense that Cyprien returns and (in a way) replaces an ILB for snaps if not position. 

Austin Johnson made a couple nice "did you forget about me" plays.

Daquan probably has little in the stat column but he pushed his man back a couple yards and then got stood up on most snaps. He didn't get to the QB or RB much, but he won his battle all day long. Not surprisingly Casey did too.

That's also the problem with this D. The DL are winning their battles, pushing guys back and tying everyone up, and I'm like waiting for a LB to cruise right through and make a huge play, but there are 8000 DBs in the game and they're all sitting back. When Lebeau blitzes guys it's always right at the snap. The opposing OL picks it up. What happened to a half second pause? A motion like pretending to cover? It's totally there if the Titans would just use delayed blitzes. 

Lebeau mentioned Aaron Wallace as a big loss on the radio last week. Expects him to return, thought he could play through it. The announcers said that he said Wallace was biggest loss of the season, had big plans for him. Avery's spot is ripe for the taking when he returns

Taywan Taylor had a snap at FS yesterday. I thought it was an error on stat sheet but Mularkey confirmed. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Denzel Johnson is called up then. When a coach is so worried of the deep ball he puts a WR at FS, it's gotta make you figure the good looking fast UDFA could get a shot.

Sylvester Williams was inactive. 7 mil and a healthy scratch. Titans D was way better up the middle without him- as I've been saying. The Colts have much of their rushing success right up the middle so that was wow to bench him entirely like that. Austin Johnson started at NT but it was mostly Klug and Jones. They did well. Consequently, Avery had his best game. He was everywhere and looked to be in on "every" tackle. It's a different world when the ILB doesn't have to shed an OL. That really should be the cue to activate Antwaun Woods from the PS but we'll see. When Spain was clearly the best RG in camp yet put on the PS, he became the starter after their bye- maybe a film review and assessment forced their hand. I'm hopeful for the same for Woods.

The DL didn't do much statistically but the LBs were all free. They gave the Colts line all they could handle

Logan Ryan was fantastic. Brice McCain was horrible and it is downright scary when he subs in. A WR is instantly targeted and makes the catch. He is bad, bad. Adoree played some snaps over the slot but it was Ryan the rest. He held TY to one catch. Ryan was at FS a little bit when Adoree was over the slot. The Titans have now played Taywan Taylor(one snap) at FS last week and Ryan this week, yet won't admit they have a FS prob and activate Denzel Johnson. 

Derrick Morgan had an abdominal strain and could have come back in. Walden came in for him at OLB. First time I've truly seen him play OLB and not a hand in the dirt DE classified as an OLB. His effort was poor. He's gonna hear it today from Lebeau. He quit on plays.

Aaron Wallace should be eligible to come off IR this week or next(which includes a bye). He was to be a key sub this year so I do expect him to be one of their two IR spots that they activate. He fills in for each OLB but maybe more importantly for stats, he played the roamer safety Polamalu role in preseason- only on obvious rushing downs. 3 DL 5-LBs or 3DL 4 LBs and he at S. Call it what ya want, he was roaming and great in that role. This would allow Byard to play outfielder but I go back to what I've been saying- they love Byard in that Polamalu role and should have never signed Cyprien. 

Cyp should be back after the bye.

Jayon Brown kept getting credit from the announcers for stellar plays on passe to Doyle. He was always behind him and would reach in front and pop the ball out at the last second or hit him at the last second. I was thinking he is in a bad position and most TEs make those catches. He curiously froze on one run play. On another he stormed in very well. Very much a young guy still learning. 

Woodyard still seems to have discovered the fountain of youth. I'm starting to wonder if this will be his best year ever. I don't remember him being "that good" with the Broncos, just good.

Bri, how do you see Byard's tackle opportunities going forward? Will they stay about the same...be minimized with the return of Cyprien and Wallace? I've loved having him as a part of my squad this year (13th highest scoring DB in my league), but something about him is giving me an uneasy feeling. 

Flyman75 said:
Bri, how do you see Byard's tackle opportunities going forward? Will they stay about the same...be minimized with the return of Cyprien and Wallace? I've loved having him as a part of my squad this year (13th highest scoring DB in my league), but something about him is giving me an uneasy feeling. 
I think they will. Many on the Titans staff rave every single time they can about Byard.

If Morgan sits, look for Orakpo to be opposite Casey's side. The Titans played Casey on the right(LT) side a lot this year and Orakpo has had a difficult time getting in and around the triple teams on Casey. Casey played a bunch on his usual left side.

Erik Walden should fill in for Morgan. He hasn't been very good in coverage and last week was the first week I saw him genuinely play OLB. I'd look for Jayon Brown to play some there. Brown did replace Orakpo in preseason. Carraway is an obvious call up but they're doing something dopey with Dodd. It appears as "he's gonna produce or else" and yet they don't play him. 

I was told some things-

Morgan pulled up "lame" during practice Friday when he tried to practice. It's mostly a walk-through so that's a pretty bad sign.

Dodd had a bad week of practice. That is "allowed" to happen, but they were already apprehensive of him filling in for Morgan. IDK why the Titans discuss filling in for Morgan like two players will start in one spot (Walden and Dodd) but they have done that all week. Walden is the fill in.

If Morgan out and Dodd inactive, that is a seriously bad sign for Dodd fans

Wallace was the whisper talk of the week. If he were healthy he would have replaced Williamson during bad games and would be filling in for Morgan. Reporters have barely seen him since he got injured because he's been in anti-gravity tanks during practices. He was seen the other day and quoted as saying he hasn't missed a meeting and is the early bird beating the defensive staff into work everyday. He figures that if he can't play, he can be the most prepared to contribute during meetings. (As I've said before, he's a good egg the staff loves)

FWIW McCourty is telling Titans he's sad he won't get to play against them. He's listed as GTD and this could be misdirection but....

Now reporters are talking of Wallace as was Mularkey. He is extremely likely (if not certain) to come off IR soon. 

Cyp will return after the bye.

Otherwise, there's not much IDP news. The Titans coaches have answered most questions with "we're doing a full evaluation of our team and will make changes accordingly." Another time Mularkey said it was being treated like making the 53. Theoretically, players could get cut but it's not August and contracts are locked in, so it's more like some players could be inactive or demoted to the PS.

Brice McCain and Sylvester Williams are the only ones I see "threatened" here. McCain has been awful and Williams just gets pushed around as he did in preseason. The 4-3 look is working. Jones and Klug are doing just fine next to Casey. Austin Johnson is flopping in a big way.  I'm blaming the DL coach for some.

The 4-3 last week put Morgan at his old position and he was rejuvenated. He had two sacks and a slew of pressures and his hands were in the dirt for a good amount of the second half. Walden played OLB behind him, so they essentially flip-flopped. 

Dodd is a big holdup here. They need to put him on the PS and let what happens happens. At this point, it is not a sure thing that someone picks him up. 

no changes after the bye, all talk I guess.

Dodd played and did alright. He only bit into Walden's time on the field.

Cyprien was asked to play far more than expected and really bumped Jayon Brown down a lot of snaps. Byard and Brown took turns covering the TE.

Wallace should return next week. Lebeau said, "He's ready and chomping at the bit" to a reporter. I don't know how long to get into football shape, adjust, etc. but he was to be a key cog this year. 

McCain barely played. I think 9 snaps. 

Klug did well at end this week.  It's also about a year since his achilles injury so this would be the time he feels best also.

With Morgan lining up on the LOS at times, they're pushing Austin Johnson off the radar. 

Daquan Jones is doing OK at NT. He's got enough fight in him to "make it work" as a fill-in. Sylvester Williams barely plays and is projected to have made about a million per tackle in 2017...big bust. 

If there is some semblance of decent work put in by the other DE, then Casey does well. 

It appears Avery Williamson is being phased out, my money is on Jayron Brown in Dynasty leagues, but his fantasy production going forward is questionable, there just is no evidence to support any projections right now.

Outside of the Safeties the Titan IDPs are hard to figure out or handicap.

Alot of people seem to think this too. It's not like he's going to be expensive. Can't they have good backups? I'd like to see him battle someone in camp. Woodyard is not young. Brown still has issues stopping the run.

I'd rather they draft a 4-3 MLB type- someone that's used to being alone in the middle. 

I think they'll continue to alternate ILBs until they admit there's a four year issue with nose tackles and their importance. 

Zach Brown mouthed off and wasn't re-signed because JRob and Mularkey were bringing in "good boys" and all that. He is regularly tops in the NFL in tackles. Could he get their quicker? Stuff RBs more? Probably but he was benched and not signed like he was meh. I like coaches using the bench to "adjust attitudes." They could have seen the following year if he was "fixed."

Many fans still bring up Dobbs, Barnett, and Cunningham. It's not like Tennessee colleges are powerhouses and regularly put players onto NFL teams that go into the HOF. This was a unique offseason where the local guys really matched up well with the Titans needs. Reeves Maybin was like Top 10, 7-10?, rated ILB. Jon Robinson moved up to select Taywan Taylor by trading a 3rd and 4th, then said he was bored. Maybin went in the fourth. Taylor was not expected to be an issue to trade up for. Taylor is considered local from WKY but many really thought an all local draft was possible then a draft loaded with local guys. It's still talked about. Cassel and Weeden haven't made them forget Dobbs, Daquan hasn't made them move on from Barnett etc.

Those positions are still areas of need and the early draft folks have them filling those very positions. It'll be interesting to see how the fanbase reacts.

It's not like they had to or anything but Mariota and Murray are stinkin' and fans like who they like. Titans attendance was horrible for the last game. They've been losing for a long time and finally seem destined for the playoffs, yet the fans aren't showing up. When ya add in that they added roughly a million former Rams fans when the Rams moved, fans were "rabid" after the Preds, and it's all so curious. 

Back to IDP- no one knows what the deal is with Antwaun Woods. It's like he kicked Mularkey's dog. He was starting. The D was significantly better with him in there. A 3-4 funneling up the middle...they can't have a pushover NT. Avery, Casey, and Johnson all looked real good in preseason- Johnson was a nice sleeper candidate even. They need that big nose that will garner attention so the rest can "operate."

Ryan cleared protocol and practiced a couple times.

Derrick Morgan is out, Walden to start

Does anyone happen to have the scoop on Adoree' Jackson? He was an extremely consistent scorer for me most of the season. He's cratered the past two weeks. Have teams stopped throwing at him? Bad matchups? Random low scores? Any insight would be deeply appreciated! =)

spliffy said:
Does anyone happen to have the scoop on Adoree' Jackson? He was an extremely consistent scorer for me most of the season. He's cratered the past two weeks. Have teams stopped throwing at him? Bad matchups? Random low scores? Any insight would be deeply appreciated! =)
I have a little insight. I’m speaking mfl only with return yards so if that’s not you some won’t apply -

besides the  One huge game where he followed Antonio Brown all over the field and tackled him after he caught pass after pass, he’s really been pretty average in the tackle department.

Last week he last four points for losing a fumble.  He got no kick off opportunities because not just do the Texans not score a ton but Fairbairn kicks every kick off out of the stadium.

The week before that he wasn’t going to get very many kick off chances because the cold stuff put up a lot of points and it looks like he pretty much had a fair catch all the punts.

I would have thought he would’ve had a lot better game against DeAndre Hopkins, but the fact that he didn’t makes me not want to trust him moving forward and less you’re playing in leaks that give points for kick off and punt returns and even then you’ll want to do your research on which kickers kick it out of the end zone every time and which ones don’t, for instants Fairbairn get a touchback pretty much every time, before he got hurt Novak never gets a touchback etc. 

He’s most likely not going to follow fits into the slot so I don’t know that he’s going to do much this weekend unless he gets a sack or an interception and I’m not crazy about his other matchups either. 

What it really comes down to is he’s very hard to sit because of his potential but he’s no guarantee to put up a bunch of points either. 

He can contribute in so many ways, one week he had 30 rushing yards on three attempts, he returns kicks, he returns ponds, he plays every defense of down. Because of all of those things he’s going to play every week but if the team they play can’t score points to where he will receive kick off‘s or the team has a kicker they can kick it out of the end zone for a punter that can angle punt or put it high enough in the air to force a fair catch,  then he just becomes a cornerback and we all know it’s the hardest position to gas on a guy could have a great game and have two tackles or he could have a horrible game and have 10 tackles.

I spoke my text so read at your own risk, you might need some vodka before hand 

I grabbed caraway in a couple deep dynos since he was promoted
I heart Carraway. He is so obviously a great listener that does what the coaches say. He grew so much from game 1 to 4 in preseason and even the announcers pointed it out sometimes. Lebeau was raving about him by week 3. He is everything you'd want in a DE learning to play OLB. He was the only Titan with zero missed tackles this summer which some debate but nonetheless...kudos to him. Give Carraway a quarter or so to look uncomfy then he'll probably be alright

He is everything Dudd isn't.

Wallace stopped practicing and isn't well. He was to return from IR. I've been dying to see him all year. He was excellent in preseason. He got a week off for veteran's rest and that was such a big deal. As the week went on, his back got tight and sore and it was announced he had a back injury. In week one or two, it downgraded so bad he had to have surgery. A guy that could truly play all four LB spots and had even been the roamer this summer....a real bummer.

Ryan has been mentioned as playing SS (some, part time) a few times. Butler mentioned it too. It sounds like if two WRs, then Ryan goes to SS and Cyprien sits while Adoree and Butler stay outside. It could also be the 3 safety look the Titans used in 2015 and 2016. It's beyond early to try and make sense of it, but ya might make a mental note that Ryan could be in line for more tackles in 2018. 

Titans DC and Vrabel are all about players playing different positions but as of now it sounds like coach speak and this is how we get you to learn our new system. 

Mularkey is always making (wha?) moves during camp. He benched Antwaun Woods to give Sylvester a chance against the Panthers this week. That makes no sense after praising him last week, saying he earned it, AND letting Woods play minimal like starters do. I don't like gifting positions or opportunity like that. Make Sylvester earn the spot from Antwaun, don't give him jack. I'm not concerned with this change. Woods and Brown are absolute beasts. Sylvester's play is nothing like them.

Two camps where Woods outperformed everyone at NT, two years on the PS. Last year he even started and was the starter on the team's official PR depth chart three weeks of the four week preseason. 

I have absolutely no idea what's up with this guy.

Klug and Williams were cut. He is their only NT and he just got a 400k per year raise and Jurrell Casey named him as the team leader of the weightlifting workout sessions.

Absolutely nothing has ever made sense with Antwaun. If you said he kicks Mularkey's dog at the end of camp each year, then maybe it makes sense. It's unreal how his brief career has gone

Ryan has been mentioned as playing SS (some, part time) a few times. Butler mentioned it too. It sounds like if two WRs, then Ryan goes to SS and Cyprien sits while Adoree and Butler stay outside. It could also be the 3 safety look the Titans used in 2015 and 2016. It's beyond early to try and make sense of it, but ya might make a mental note that Ryan could be in line for more tackles in 2018. 

Titans DC and Vrabel are all about players playing different positions but as of now it sounds like coach speak and this is how we get you to learn our new system. 
Does Ryan have the chops to play SS though?  This is a thumper spot, he doesn't strike me as that kind of player.  Do the Titans (perhaps via NEP/Vrabel) play it differently?

Does Ryan have the chops to play SS though?  This is a thumper spot, he doesn't strike me as that kind of player.  Do the Titans (perhaps via NEP/Vrabel) play it differently?
I think like you. Malcolm Butler said Ryan played SS some in NE and got to the QB. He only has 2.5 sacks so he could mean mentally "got to the QB." Lebeau's 3 safety look afforded the two safeties freedom while Rashad Johnson was deep. Byard and Stafford did a lot of talking and pointing presnap. Stafford was a safety that played the dime backer spot. 

I don't know, I figure (as is the case sometimes) I can tell the IDP folks what I do know and y'all can make a better guess from there

I wouldn't ever mistake Ryan for a thumper, but he certainly wasn't a shy, corner-esque tackler. Whether or not he can work through the beef near the LOS is probably the question. I'd wager he can read, diagnose, and react to the play then close and make a tackle but it's different from the second level than it is from an in-the-box set to start a play. I wouldn't be surprised to see him do well in that role, though. 

• Smile
Reactions: Bri

Users who are viewing this thread