What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Trent Taylor being overlooked? (1 Viewer)

Compares very favorably to Wes Welker:

Wes Welker's Measurables

Height    Weight  40 Time  3-Cone Vertical Jump Broad Jump

5'9"        185 lbs     4.65s      7.09s          30                9'5"

Trent Taylor's Measurables

Height    Weight  40 Time   3-Cone Vertical Jump  Broad Jump

5'7 5/8"   181 lbs   4.63s        6.74s          33             9'8"

Compares very favorably to Wes Welker:

Wes Welker's Measurables

Height    Weight  40 Time  3-Cone Vertical Jump Broad Jump

5'9"        185 lbs     4.65s      7.09s          30                9'5"

Trent Taylor's Measurables

Height    Weight  40 Time   3-Cone Vertical Jump  Broad Jump

5'7 5/8"   181 lbs   4.63s        6.74s          33             9'8"
Sure. But Welker was an exception. Maybe if Taylor had Brady and BB I'd be a lot more interested.

He has Shanahan that will put him in position to take advantage of his talent and possibly Kirk Cousins next season......Plus I'm talking dynasty here. I watched this kid play in college and he only got better from one year to the next in all 4 years.

My point is that this kid isn't even listed in the top 50 rookie rankings and I'll bet that he'll be better than half the guys on the list.....Keep sleeping on him and your opponent will take advantage of your slumber. :)

Kid is lightening quick and seems like he is always open (quote from camp),  and SF traded a 4th rounder next year to get the pick from Denver to draft him, so obviously, Shanahan thinks highly of him.  Kerly isn't a long range solution in the slot, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is the starter next year.

Good stash..................

Kid is lightening quick and seems like he is always open (quote from camp),  and SF traded a 4th rounder next year to get the pick from Denver to draft him, so obviously, Shanahan thinks highly of him.  Kerly isn't a long range solution in the slot, so I wouldn't be surprised if he is the starter next year.

Good stash..................
If we drafted every player Lynch trades for we'll have a lot of 49ers in the next few years.

as we should.....but I'm not sold on Joe Williams. Lead CFB in fumbles per carry for RBs
Why? Has Lynch proven himself to be especially adept at assessing and developing talent in the NFL?  Belichick trading for someone gets my attention. Lynch right now is just one of 32 with no history of success as an executive.

After tweeting with Jeff Tefertiller‏ about Taylor this weekend, he moved him from unranked to 29th in his rookie rankings and he just tweeted me that he now believes he has a shot at 50 catches year one. 

From a dynasty perspective SF doesn't have a lot of entrenched starters at the skill positions, so opportunities are there for young players to step up. Similar to the Rams recently although the Rams have three veteran WR now.

Taylor is a guy who has been under my radar but I seem to miss a handful of good prospects every year. Thanks for bringing him to our attention.

Statistically he shows improvement every year and 1800 yards as a senior is pretty good.

Watching the highlights he seems more quick than fast. Good at making defenders miss and breaking them down with quick changes of direction. The combine data reflects that as well. 4.6 forty time is kind of slow for a NFL WR but he does have good 3 cone time that matches what you see with him making defenders miss.

If he were a bit taller and faster I think he would have been on more peoples radar.

It's always good to have discussion about the lesser know guys. That's for starting the thread. 

For FF purposes, this guy is the type of profile that isn't worth the roster space/effort to stay informed. To be blunt about it, he's old for a rookie (23), he's short, small and slow and he doesn't come from a high pedigree. On top of that to actually be FF relevant he is going to need an offense that will give him enough volume and a QB that can and is willing to make throws into tight windows. 

I'm not saying he can't but the odds of being fantasy relevant are so low that it's not worth getting on board. 

It's always good to have discussion about the lesser know guys. That's for starting the thread. 

For FF purposes, this guy is the type of profile that isn't worth the roster space/effort to stay informed. To be blunt about it, he's old for a rookie (23), he's short, small and slow and he doesn't come from a high pedigree. On top of that to actually be FF relevant he is going to need an offense that will give him enough volume and a QB that can and is willing to make throws into tight windows. 

I'm not saying he can't but the odds of being fantasy relevant are so low that it's not worth getting on board. 
What makes you the determining factor of what is relevant and worthy to be posted on a board? You sound like a #### head to me.....Is that relevant enough for you?

What makes you the determining factor of what is relevant and worthy to be posted on a board? You sound like a #### head to me.....Is that relevant enough for you?
Hahahahaha. Settle down tiger. You misread my last line. I said "not worth getting on board" as in jumping on board the bandwagon of this player. And I started my post by giving you a compliment and thanking you (although I have a typo of "that's" instead of thanks) for the starting the thread. I will leave my post unedited though just so you can reread it and know I wasn't attacking you. 

FYI Taylor played in Conference USA which is ranked 9th in the country, whereas the Big Sky conference is no where to be seen
This doesn't change the fact that Kupp was very good right away as a freshman and continued to be good throughout his college career, while Taylor doesn't start putting up numbers comparable to Kupp until his junior year, and even those numbers fall short of what Kupp was doing as a freshman. Taylors senior season is closer to what Kupp was doing his whole college career.

I am not a fan of college football so what conferences in college are better than others doesn't mean a whole lot to me. From my perspective you have the power five conferences and then everyone else.

If you would like to educate me (and anyone else interested) on how to differentiate different levels of competition between these conferences I am all ears. Generally the power five conferences have the best recruiting and college players, but there is a lot separation of level of competition within those conferences as well.

I am not against small school players becoming good pro players at all,. It happens. I just view non power five conferences as smaller schools with generally lower levels of talent, something people have an will disagree with me about. So I expect numbers from non power five schools to be higher and a player from these weaker teams should put up big numbers to be worth considering as a pro. That it took Taylor awhile to start putting up big numbers in CUSA raises some questions about his ability to adapt to that level of competition and earn opportunity.

If we put Taylor on a more competitive team (Ohio State for example) would he be able to crack the lineup and earn opportunity over their other very good players? 

That it took him awhile to do that with a smaller school suggests to me that he wouldn't have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a Welker/Edelman/Landry/Crowder/Beasley type. We are seeing more and more guys like that do enough to be fantasy relevant, but unless I'm in a really deep league I'd still rather use my dart throws on guys with a higher upside profile.

Not worth it to me.  I'd rather take guys with either great college production or elite measureables (or a combo of them both).  I know my league mates and this guy won't be on any roster  for his entire career unless he produces, and then I MIGHT pick him up.  Anything rather shallow I wouldn't think he's worth an add because you could get him off waivers if/when he does anything.

Borden said:
Hahahahaha. Settle down tiger. You misread my last line. I said "not worth getting on board" as in jumping on board the bandwagon of this player. And I started my post by giving you a compliment and thanking you (although I have a typo of "that's" instead of thanks) for the starting the thread. I will leave my post unedited though just so you can reread it and know I wasn't attacking you. 
My bad for misinterpreting your post......I'm sorry, but you did misspell "Thanks" ;)

I like taking a chance on the 5'7 5th rounder.  But his name happens to be Isiah McKenzie from Georgia.  He is already impressing enough to take over the return duties. He is elusive and fast.  Everyone is looking for the Tyreek Hill at the end of every draft.  It usually is a player that initially impresses with ball skills on special teams and gets the opportunity.  

Taylor seems like the guy who may contribute a little this year, but will move over for the FA pick up or high draft pick next season.    

-OZ- said:
Why? Has Lynch proven himself to be especially adept at assessing and developing talent in the NFL?  Belichick trading for someone gets my attention. Lynch right now is just one of 32 with no history of success as an executive.
Well, concerning the SF draft, it was pretty obvious that Shanahan was making the calls on the offensive side and Lynch on the defensive side, so the trade into the 5th to specifically draft Taylor was a Shanahan move, similar to Williams. 

One of the things I like about Lynch is that his ego isn't out of control and he works together with his head coach to get the players he wants.  A very basic concept, but after years of Baalke the dictator, it's a nice change.

Also, there is a chance that Kerley might not make the team despite the new contract, which would open up a bigger role for Taylor.  Garcon and Goodwin are the starters on the outside.  Robinson is a Shanahan guy, so he is probably in.  They really like Kendrick Bourne and if he keeps playing well in the preseason, he may stick.  They also have Smelter, who is a Baalke guy but the one WR with above average size.

Since they are in rebuild mode, I wouldn't be shocked to see them roll with the young guys, especially if they only keep 5 WRs.

Well, concerning the SF draft, it was pretty obvious that Shanahan was making the calls on the offensive side and Lynch on the defensive side, so the trade into the 5th to specifically draft Taylor was a Shanahan move, similar to Williams. 

One of the things I like about Lynch is that his ego isn't out of control and he works together with his head coach to get the players he wants.  A very basic concept, but after years of Baalke the dictator, it's a nice change.
Fair enough, and if I were a San Fran fan I'd be excited too. 

Of course Kyle hasn't proven especially adept at developing lesser talented wide receivers either. We'll see, stranger things have happened.

Fair enough, and if I were a San Fran fan I'd be excited too. 

Of course Kyle hasn't proven especially adept at developing lesser talented wide receivers either. We'll see, stranger things have happened.
They can just add Josh Gordon when he becomes eligible. Bam....westside Julio.

ZWK said:
Could be a Welker/Edelman/Landry/Crowder/Beasley type. We are seeing more and more guys like that do enough to be fantasy relevant, but unless I'm in a really deep league I'd still rather use my dart throws on guys with a higher upside profile.
This is how I feel about it, too. Unless I think he's in a special system (Welker/Edelman) that can make a slot guy valuable or that he'll get abnormally high targets (Landry) then the upside is Crowder/Beasley and it takes a specific scoring system (PPR) for those guys to even matter. 

That's not to say this guy is a bad stash if you've got room and might be thin at WR. Just not the type of player I choose to stash.

I do like that he threw out a guy that I had to go and see who the heck he was and where he was at.  I have no intention of picking him up, but I always root for the small school kid to surprise everyone and make the 53.  I think there is more than a handful of immensely talented WR's that were either picked late in the draft or were UFA's that have dazzling college footage and seem to be locks to make a team, but most don't.   Jordan Westercamp from Nebraska (homer thought) carried his QB in college and made several circus catches, but he's on his 3rd team since April and will be lucky to get a practice squad invite.

Anyway, hope Taylor makes the team...

Following Jeremy Kerley's release, fifth-rounder Trent Taylor is the 49ers' top slot receiver.

Taylor reportedly had a strong spring, and he hauled in six catches for 69 yards in the preseason. He also should have a role as a punt returner as well. While he may not see enough targets to be roster worthy in standard-sized redraft leagues, he is a stash in Dynasty.

Following Jeremy Kerley's release, fifth-rounder Trent Taylor is the 49ers' top slot receiver.

Taylor reportedly had a strong spring, and he hauled in six catches for 69 yards in the preseason. He also should have a role as a punt returner as well. While he may not see enough targets to be roster worthy in standard-sized redraft leagues, he is a stash in Dynasty.
Look, Trent, you've got to stop posting about yourself on fantasy football boards. It's kind of weird. 

;)

Hot Sauce Guy said:
Your loss! Shanahan has the offense heading in the right direction and I won't be surprised if they upset Carolina at home on Sunday.

He might have relevance, but I want no shares of this 49ers offense. 

And im a Niners fan. ;)  

I'm surprised this guy hasn't had a little more attention in the last week or so, given the Kerley cut. Really it's wide open opportunity for him and he could be at least a bye week type asset in PPR leagues even this year. They took him in the draft probably earlier than many expected given his profile, with intentions to put him to use right away. For me, the Kerley release confirms that. Obviously Garcon will lead the team in targets, but why couldn't this guy be second or third? Goodwin and Robinson are "ahead" of him on the depth chart but neither of those are the kind of players who soak up targets. They are pretty much pure deep threats. Kittle isn't ready for big volume; Juszczyk will get more than I think many people expect in a kind of RB/TE hybrid receiving role; Hyde will get his as well, but I think there is some real opportunity here for Taylor. As good an end of bench dart throw as any I think if you need depth in a PPR league.

49ers notes: Trent Taylor’s post-practice work paying dividends

BY MATT BARROWS

mbarrows@sacbee.com

SEPTEMBER 06, 2017 2:46 PM

SANTA CLARA 

Because he’s a rookie, Trent Taylor spent offseason practices catching passes from backup quarterbacks C.J. Beathard, Matt Barkley and Nick Mullens.

After practice, however, he got work with the fourth quarterback on the roster.

“Brian (Hoyer) would always pull me over and make sure that me and him got some extra work together because you never know what can happen,” Taylor said Wednesday. “… Great leadership on his part. Glad to have a guy like Brian leading the way for us.”

The post-practice chemistry they built became especially significant after the 49ers cut veteran receiver Jeremy Kerley on Saturday. That made Taylor, a fifth-round draft pick, the top slot receiver on the roster, which means there’s a possibility he could start Sunday’s game against Carolina or at least see snaps early on.

Taylor gained the coaches’ trust by being one of their most reliable receivers almost from the start of spring practices. During the preseason, he caught all six passes that went in his direction.

With Kerley gone, Taylor also could handle punt returns against the Panthers, although another rookie, Victor Bolden Jr., could have that role as well.

Taylor said he was surprised that the 49ers would cut a veteran like Kerley but wasn’t content to merely be on the 53-man roster.

“I never want to feel like I made it,” he said. “Because that’s when you start losing it.”

49ers.com's Joe Fann expects rookie WR Trent Taylor to open the year in an every-down role.

Taylor is locked in as the 49ers' slot receiver after Jeremy Kerley's release. With Aldrick Robinson backing up Marquise Goodwin, there's no competition for his snaps inside. Taylor could have a big Week 1 role if George Kittle (questionable, hamstring) doesn't play against the Panthers.

Source: Joe Fann on Twitter 

Sep 8 - 4:37 PM

The breakout comes Sunday for Wes Welker junior. :football:

Yeah, I'm starting him with my other guys being off. :bag:

Users who are viewing this thread