What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN FF Marathon (1 Viewer)

Dope

Footballguy
Oooooof.

The skits are sharknado-like....so bad, they're awesome.

Caliendo does an excellent Berman.

I'm just glad I know some guys in my league watch it.

The Shark move is to never listen to guys who are trying to please viewers and followers with rhetoric instead of provide real info. 

Not a fan of "Made For TV" Experts. 

Side Note: Was just realizing how all these tools and rankings do all the work for the people who dont take time and it lets all sleepers known to the world and what not. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only caught bits and pieces, but from what I can gather, Schefter, Berry, and Yates are making the rounds on the various shows to talk about...Quarterbacks.  :rolleyes:

Dear God Shaun King tweeted this morning asking ESPN to apologize for auctioning a black man off to the highest bidder.  People suck sometimes.

I mean, it was poor timing.
I guess but I never would have even thought about it in that way until he brought it up.  I think anyone that participates in fantasy football knew what the purpose was and was fine with it.  What I don't get is why anyone that doesn't participate in fantasy football would be watching it.

My guess is some moron saw the show and thought, "I wonder what Shaun King would think of this?"  Shaun sees it, posts it on social media with some fake outrage and just watches his popularity rise.

One comment was a person saying how it's not a draft, it's an auction and there's a difference.  This drives me crazy and I've seen some make this comment on here over the years.  It's a draft regardless if it's snake or auction format.

Dear God Shaun King tweeted this morning asking ESPN to apologize for auctioning a black man off to the highest bidder.  People suck sometimes.
Sure, but if you have no understanding at all of fantasy football, I can see how it looks weird.

Also, it's weird because I saw that segment  :bag:  and they just auctioned off OBJ and there were maybe 30 people there bidding. It made no sense at all. Who has a 30 team league? Why isn't anyone else auctioned? 

Ilov80s said:
Sure, but if you have no understanding at all of fantasy football, I can see how it looks weird.

Also, it's weird because I saw that segment  :bag:  and they just auctioned off OBJ and there were maybe 30 people there bidding. It made no sense at all. Who has a 30 team league? Why isn't anyone else auctioned? 
Shaun King has an understanding of FF.

Are you watching a FF marathon if you have no understanding of FF?

And C'mon man.  Didn't they auction off Brady too?

Ilov80s said:

They did it multiple times and auctioned off other players.  I believe Brady was one so it wasn't some big racial thing.  The whole format was odd but I get that they were promoting auction drafting.  The outrage is still ridiculous.

98% of it was unwatchable. Frank's impression of Adam Schefter & the "full size" cutout of Adam were the best parts.

Shaun King has an understanding of FF.

Are you watching a FF marathon if you have no understanding of FF?

And C'mon man.  Didn't they auction off Brady too?
Oh it's the football Shaun King? I assumed it was the black civil rights guy. Nevermind. 

Also, you can see things that are on TV without watching it- people will alert famous people about videos that might interest/involve them?

No idea, the segment I saw only auctioned 1 person: OBJ. 

Oh it's the football Shaun King? I assumed it was the black civil rights guy. Nevermind. 

Also, you can see things that are on TV without watching it- people will alert famous people about videos that might interest/involve them?

No idea, the segment I saw only auctioned 1 person: OBJ. 
No, it was the activist Shaun King.

They did it multiple times and auctioned off other players.  I believe Brady was one so it wasn't some big racial thing.  The whole format was odd but I get that they were promoting auction drafting.  The outrage is still ridiculous.
It is, but I watched the OBJ segment. It was just OBJ and it made no sense. Which is fitting for the entire marathon. It's very dumb. 

It is, but I watched the OBJ segment. It was just OBJ and it made no sense. Which is fitting for the entire marathon. It's very dumb. 
A 28 hour marathon is pretty dumb but ESPN needs programming and want to promote their fantasy pages.  Outrage over a 45 section auction segment is ridiculous.  Hopefully auction leagues aren't being protested and banned next.

I just flipped to it a couple times throughout the night.  They did a couple segments where they auctioned off a player.  The entire show is just a complete waste of time, no wonder they're going in the crapper.

A 28 hour marathon is pretty dumb but ESPN needs programming and want to promote their fantasy pages.  Outrage over a 45 section auction segment is ridiculous.  Hopefully auction leagues aren't being protested and banned next.
What I find stupid is that they don't even realize the amount of people and different races love to do auction drafts.  My main auction league has 24 people in it and we are a mixed group of races.  It's a blast.

I just flipped to it a couple times throughout the night.  They did a couple segments where they auctioned off a player.  The entire show is just a complete waste of time, no wonder they're going in the crapper.
I also flipped to it a few times last night, had it on while cleaning, cooking, etc. The only helpful 30 seconds I saw was they showed Schefter last season at the marathon. Schefter said Tyreek Hill was his sleeper of the year and he gave a pretty accurate description of Hill's season would go. So that interested me to hear Schefter's 2017 sleeper. It was Matt Breida. 

What I find stupid is that they don't even realize the amount of people and different races love to do auction drafts.  My main auction league has 24 people in it and we are a mixed group of races.  It's a blast.
 If you know noting at all about fantasy football, you could see that 1 OBJ segment with no context and think it's not appropriate or feel uncomfortable about it. It's really not a big deal on either end. Hopefully one of the many black people that plays fantasy football reaches out to them and explains it. It's all good. 

If you know noting at all about fantasy football, you could see that 1 OBJ segment with no context and think it's not appropriate or feel uncomfortable about it. It's really not a big deal on either end. Hopefully one of the many black people that plays fantasy football reaches out to them and explains it. It's all good. 
I could see the confusion too.  What would be nice is if people would ask what is going on first and try to figure out the context before just reacting on social media.

I could see the confusion too.  What would be nice is if people would ask what is going on first and try to figure out the context before just reacting on social media.
Sure and we should be as open to the idea that it might offend someone too. I don't have to be mad because someone else is offended. It's ok for people to be offended sometimes.  I am sure there are probably some NFL players might not like the idea of fantasy "auctioning them" and saying "I own _____", trading people, etc. It all does sound bad. The originators of fantasy probably could have picked some better verbiage. 

This reminds me of how we use to have Crazy Days in our town.  All of the businesses would have sidewalk sales and there would be games for kids all day.  It was always a great time growing up.  Eventually they had to change the name to Ridiculous Days because someone complained about it being offensive to crazy people.  I remember my dad joking about protesting the name change because it was offensive to ridiculous people.

I do get how it could be offensive to some and seem insensitive though.  I honestly never thought about it this way until Shaun King made a big deal out of it.

It's horrible television. How these people are considered experts is unbelievable. Most experienced fantasy players are more knowledgeable. I think they cater to the newbies. However, ESPN is not alone.

When I'm in my car, I listen to the Sirius Fantasy station. They have this "expert" from Rotowire that whenever I tune in, I hear him discussing what a horrible draft he's had. I mean, every single time I catch him on the radio. How do you have your own show if every draft is horrible? People pay these guys for advice?

In the good old days, there were a handful of guys giving out advice, but at least they were hardcore players. Then everything went mainstream and "experts" flooded the market.

Another thing I've noticed is ever since the popularity of DFS and DFS analysts, you can tell those DFS guys really put their work into analyzing data for seasonal since they do it for daily play. Compare it to some of the "fantasy experts" on many popular websites (I'll keep names out of it) and you'll see how weak the analysis of these websites are. Anyway, enough ranting for now.

Ramblin Wreck said:
I just spent 30 minutes in the black hole that is the comments section on that tweet which I'll never get back.

America, 2017.

Ramblin Wreck said:
I'm about as liberal as they come, but this is just plain stupidity.  Political correctness in this country has run amuck.  

Had to be the dumbest thing that I have ever seen on sports TV.  Family Feud where the question is....what food to eat at a fantasy draft?  Who cares that the one guy can do a Chris Berman or a Charles Barkley imitation?  How does that help my fantasy team?

I wanted to see about the Luck and Reed injury situations.....but Stephania Bell is pretty rough to look at.

Auction leagues are the best leagues.  Getting outraged at bad TV is a waste of time, but some people just like being outraged.

Ramblin Wreck said:
I actually agree with him. In fact I took a stance in my PPR auction and this was my team:

Tom Brady

Christian McCaffrey

Danny Woodhead

Jordy Nelson

Julian Edelman

Eric Decker

Rob Gronkowski

Justin Tucker

NEP Def/ST

Thoughts?

/s 

I think they started drafting but I only saw one pick. Not sure who was taken before pick 9.

Then they did a segment about the history of FF which was pretty pointless. Then they started talking about Gurley for a long time.

Still no idea who was drafted besides Kamara at pick 9.

Watched some the first year. Nothing since. Let me guess/summarize, a "marathon" of stating the obvious by "experts" who are not with horrible/stupid fillers of

people I don't care about making fools of themselves and pretending to like it.

Have they done one of those insightful 6-team mocks yet?  I was flipping channels and they were doing some kind of contest of throwing football into holes. Must see fantasy tv.

The problem is the guys they use for the Marathon besides Berry and Statboy aren't "sit around and shoot the breeze" people. They don't know how to interact in this setting and BS. Even Berry becomes tiresome after 4-5 hours.

Anita Marks (blonde woman on the mock draft desk who loves Kamara) does weekend radio shows on ESPN NY. She does around 13 FF teams plus DFS and always works her NFL contacts for info and "nuggets". She knows Hue Jackson well and also was on the Giants broadcast team for several years. She was on last year's show just overnight, Glad to see her get a shot with the "first team".

I don’t like/dislike Matthew Berry, but it’s odd to know that while he survived the ESPN firings, people like John Clayton and Ed Werder got canned.
Love him or hate him, Berry has been a goldmine for ESPN. They make a ton of money off fantasy, and he is the face of it for the network.

I have zero interest in watching the marathon, but I don't get the hate for it, or ESPN's fantasy coverage in general. They are a massive division of an even more massive multinational corporation. Their goal is not to be super-sharky about fantasy, it is to reach the masses with as broad a message as possible. I know I'm not their target audience for the marathon, which is why I ignore it (along with Fantasy Football Now, Berry's Fantasy Show, and the podcast. I do try to keep up with the excellent Stephania Bell for her injury analyses, though.)

Love him or hate him, Berry has been a goldmine for ESPN. They make a ton of money off fantasy, and he is the face of it for the network.

I have zero interest in watching the marathon, but I don't get the hate for it, or ESPN's fantasy coverage in general. They are a massive division of an even more massive multinational corporation. Their goal is not to be super-sharky about fantasy, it is to reach the masses with as broad a message as possible. I know I'm not their target audience for the marathon, which is why I ignore it (along with Fantasy Football Now, Berry's Fantasy Show, and the podcast. I do try to keep up with the excellent Stephania Bell for her injury analyses, though.)
Oh I don't hate it at all. It just gets unbelievably corny when the ESPN heads/NFL reporters like Schefter start to dominate the screen. Gimme Stephania Bell/Berry/Field/GoatBoy and sprinkle in a few ESPN personalities to question them. Heck, if they REALLY want crossover stuff invite Salfino/Behrens/Loza/Del Don from Yahoo as guest commentators.

Oh I don't hate it at all. It just gets unvelievably corny when the ESPN heads/NFL reporters like Schefter start to dominate the screen. Gimme Stephania Bell/Berry/Field/GoatBoy and sprinkle in a few ESPN personalities to question them. Heck, if they REALLY want crossover stuff invite Salfino/Behrens/Loza/Del Don from Yahoo as guest commentators.
Well, that will never happen. ESPN tends to be very insular (I guess understandably, since they have so much in-house). I can't remember them ever bringing on an outside fantasy voice to their platforms. They do occasionally allow their people to go on others' podcasts, but even that's usually tied to promoting something specific. Berry recently went on both The Fantasy Footballers and Bill Simmons, but that was mostly to promote the marathon.

I don’t like/dislike Matthew Berry, but it’s odd to know that while he survived the ESPN firings, people like John Clayton and Ed Werder got canned.
Matthew is a friend so I'm biased. And I'm sure Ed Werder and John Clayton are great people. But this is a good example of the real world and "What you bring to the table?" and "How difficult are you to replace?".  Matthew is VERY good at what he's asked to do there. And he'd be extremely difficult to replace. 

Users who are viewing this thread