Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Antifa: Left Wing Militants on the Rise

msommer

7 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Pretty much anarchists since they go after more than just white supremacists. 

I don't disagree... but as a loosely affiliated group of anarchists, which, by definition means they want the opposite of fascists, reinforced by their lack of any clear leadership or even clear platform, they seem trivial as compared to the well organised white nationalist groups who are coddled and even supported by folks who are/have been at the highest levels of our government. 

As such, the White Nationalists are a far more grave concern to our nations well being, including the promotion of freedom and liberty, than a bunch of punk ### anarchists. 

10 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

These cowards seem to run when confronted by those other than the weak.  Their masks should be yanked and their faces, addresses, and phone numbers planted all over the internet.

They were the cat's Pajamas to many here when they were combating Nazis... as if the ends justify the means.

• Like 1

These Antifa punks are annoying.  Hopefully, her video link works   

Candace Owens (@RealCandaceO)

8/6/18, 9:24 AM

To be clear: ANTIFA, an all-white fascist organization, just grew violent and attacked an all-black and Hispanic police force. 

Because I, a BLACK woman, was eating breakfast. 

Is this the civil rights era all over again? pic.twitter.com/piJfnopniW

On 8/6/2018 at 7:57 AM, Koya said:

You didn't answer my question... WHO are they and specifically what do they stand for?

(personally, they seem like a fairly loose affiliation of anarchists and troublemakers without and defining ideology and even less organization - doesn't mean as individuals those who do harm shouldn't be held accountable).

When we talk about White Nationalists, we have clear organization's, we have leadership like David Duke and countless others, we have the Alex Joneses of the world enabling and collaborating, too often with either a blind eye from many politicians who are either too cowardly to confront these groups and/or may share some beliefs... up to and including the President who has appeared more often than not to be the latter.

So, if you ask me who "White Nationalists" are, I can tell you their commin ideology, their goals, their leadership and their friends, supporters and sympathisers (up to say, Bannon and Trump)... but I can't do the same with Antifa.

So again, who is Antifa to you and what do they stand for? Further, who are their leaders which we can look to and home accountable beyond just a group of miscrent misanthropic and loosely affiliated anarchists?

Since it appears that Berkeley Police arrested 17 of them I'm hoping we can learn more about the individuals involved.  As far as I can tell they aren't an official organization.  I''d like to know if these people are actually concerned about politics or if they are just out there to cause trouble.  I suspect the latter, and facing off against white nationalists makes it easier for some people to "accept" them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dickies said:

Since it appears that Berkeley Police arrested 17 of them I'm hoping we can learn more about the individuals involved.  As far as I can tell they aren't an official organization.  I''d like to know if these people are actually concerned about politics or if they are just out there to cause trouble.  I suspect the latter, and facing off against white nationalists makes it easier for some people to "accept" them.

They are. In a bad way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dickies said:

These are people who are anti-establishment and want to #### up the system.  My guess is they don't fall into any mainstream political spectrum.

• Like 1

Just now, urbanhack said:

These are people who are anti-establishment and want to #### up the system.  My guess is they don't fall into any mainstream political spectrum.

I also believe this to be the case, but right-wing media likes to paint them as the darlings of the left.

38 minutes ago, Dickies said:

I also believe this to be the case, but right-wing media likes to paint them as the darlings of the left.

They are the darlings of a certain flavor of leftist.  I don't know whatever became of the Nazi-punching thread, but those are your antifa sympathizers.  To be fair, those people are not at all representative of the Democratic party or liberals more generally.  These folks are to the left what the militia movement is to the right -- they exist, much to the embarrassment of most of the other people on their side of the ideological divide. 

I kind of favor antifa. 

I am against fascism, too..

On the positive side them I see them as the guardians/protectors of communities unfairly immersed with right extremists demanding to exert aggressive racism under the guise of the First Amendment.

Many peaceful citizen want to speak out when these civil disprutions take place in their communities, but they tend to be the caricature victims of the jackbooted hooligans looking for a fight. So antifa watches their back like a big brother, allowing them to let their voice be heard against the vitriol of the out-of-town alt-right mercenaries.

I do admit there is the possibility of a Hell's Angels Altamont situation if you use sociopaths as your police force.

I'm conflicted, but I do not think this anonymous group is responsible for more than a tiny bit of the atrocities they are accused of committing.

I am very conflicted, but evidently I am WAY off center around here.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 9:47 AM, JohnnyU said:

It is a fascist group hiding behind the words "anti fascist".  They couldn't be more fascist. 

I somehow missed this yesterday.

1. How are "they" facist? (Because they are not - LITERALLY the opposite)

2. Again, who is "they"? Especially if you suggest they are facist, who is the strongman leader they rally behind? Who even might it be and/or who is the "group" of iron fisted dictators/oligarchs they want to control the country? 

5 minutes ago, cosjobs said:

I kind of favor antifa. 

I am against fascism, too..

On the positive side them I see them as the guardians/protectors of communities unfairly immersed with right extremists demanding to exert aggressive racism under the guise of the First Amendment.

Many peaceful citizen want to speak out when these civil disprutions take place in their communities, but they tend to be the caricature victims of the jackbooted hooligans looking for a fight. So antifa watches their back like a big brother, allowing them to let their voice be heard against the vitriol of the out-of-town alt-right mercenaries.

I do admit there is the possibility of a Hell's Angels Altamont situation if you use sociopaths as your police force.

I'm conflicted, but I do not think this anonymous group is responsible for more than a tiny bit of the atrocities they are accused of committing.

I am very conflicted, but evidently I am WAY off center around here.

I see very little that is redeeming about Antifa, with a component of that thought being they are more amorphous than Black Loves Matter.  Who "are" they, that you can separate the violence from the "base" of who/what Antifa is?

What specifically do they stand for - more than "against the ills of society" what specific policies and outcomes or even political leaders do they wish to see forwarded?

Finally, I think it's pretty unfair to suggest it's the "sociopathic" police and not Occam's razor or anarchist punk #######s looking to cause trouble, and since Antifa has not presented a clear agenda, form, leadership, goals/desired outcomes it's impossible to separate the all out anarchists from those looking to just cause trouble to those just railing against "the man" to the "base" supporter / member, whatever that is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Koya said:

I see very little that is redeeming about Antifa, with a component of that thought being they are more amorphous than Black Loves Matter.  Who "are" they, that you can separate the violence from the "base" of who/what Antifa is?

What specifically do they stand for - more than "against the ills of society" what specific policies and outcomes or even political leaders do they wish to see forwarded?

Finally, I think it's pretty unfair to suggest it's the "sociopathic" police and not Occam's razor or anarchist punk #######s looking to cause trouble, and since Antifa has not presented a clear agenda, form, leadership, goals/desired outcomes it's impossible to separate the all out anarchists from those looking to just cause trouble to those just railing against "the man" to the "base" supporter / member, whatever that is.

THey are undefined. Much of what people say they have done- most likely they didn't.

The laziness of the press and black/white thinking leads to the assumption they are the same as those on the right. 

What I know: As it is, the groups that raided Portland last weekend were there to antagonizr and spread their message of hate. And they did it in a blatantly aggressive manner.

Now most citizens of Portland object to these displays and feel like they should raise their voice against it. Pretty much a bunch of granola munching bicyclists, in no way prepared to go toe to toe with the invaders. I liked to see it as antifa having the back of those voicing a repudiation of the invaders. Why dies the right get jackboots as a normal constituency and anyone standing up to them to let the cmmon citizens have a voice is assumed as bad as the other side.

I expect a lot of grief on this and I understand where you are coming from, but I think there is a lot more gray than most of my side acknowledges

1 hour ago, cosjobs said:

I think there is a lot more gray than most of my side acknowledges

That is somewhat my point. It's so grey that 1. We don't know who Antifa really is 2. Don't know specifically what they want (so how can you implement policy without knowing the purpose/goal) and 3. It's so grey that it's all but acknowledged that the miscreant anarchist for anarchy's sake punk is indistinguishable from anyone with better intention while those with good intention have no more "claim" to being a part of the Antifa movement than the punks. 

Black Lives Matter was, by comparison, far more organised with far greater clarity in goals ... and they were utterly lacking on both. Which is why the movement was/is a failure. If anything, BLM helped galvanize those who stood against it with those who shared a more clear ideology (even if that ideology was racism, nationalism, white nationalism) and it's desired outcomes (build the wall! Deport MS13 and the brown people who are taking our jobs! America (aka white euro-descendants) First! What have you) more than it ever built a base of support that could be mobilized.

Antifa is that times a thousand with a flat out crossover that now includes punk ### anarchists who just want to #### #### up.

The left needs to do better galvanising and coalescing around what are indeed really popular, even populist, messages.

Yet they squander that chance to "Antifa" - a group which apparently can be defined by neither its detractors nor allies. :shrug: 

40 minutes ago, Officer Pete Malloy said:
3 hours ago, DropKick said:

Not sure that is really true.

Uhhh...why would there be anti fascists if there weren’t fascists? 

Would there be insecticides if there weren’t insects?

IMHO DropKick is right. They would be labeled differently as anarcho-this that or whatever

2 hours ago, Radio Free Homer said:

Does Antifa do other stuff than show up at Nazi rallies?

Of course they do.  They attack any peaceful conservative rally.  They are a bad seed.   Anyone who thinks otherwise are just as bad as Antifa.

Edited by JohnnyU

7 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Of course they do.  They attack any peaceful conservative rally.  They are a bad seed.   Anyone who thinks otherwise are just as bad as Antifa.

My co-workers had a peaceful rally at lunch today, and they weren't attacked by Antifa.

Looks like your sweeping generalization has been proven to be wrong.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Are you referring to the Patriot Prayer rally where the supposed peaceful conservatives showed up to pray wearing body armor and carrying weapons?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, [scooter] said:

My co-workers had a peaceful rally at lunch today, and they weren't attacked by Antifa.

Funny......a peaceful protest at lunch?  :lmao:

Too many vegetables in the cafeteria line?  Price of nuggets go up?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Opie said:
18 hours ago, [scooter] said:

Funny......a peaceful protest at lunch?  :lmao:

Too many vegetables in the cafeteria line?  Price of nuggets go up?

Your position is so weak that it cannot stand on it's own, so you feel the need to change what I wrote (from "peaceful rally" to "protest") in an attempt to make your point seem stronger.

SAD!

update from Berkeley, CA:

Eric Clanton, the Diablo Valley College professor who was arrested and charged in a bike-lock attack in 2017, gets three years probation.

highlights:

"According to Alameda County Superior Court records, Clanton entered a “no contest” plea Wednesday to one misdemeanor battery charge. The felony charges against him were dismissed, and an allegation that he had caused serious bodily injury was stricken. A misdemeanor charge that Clanton wore a mask during the commission of the crime also was dropped."

"Police said, previously, that Clanton attacked at least three people with a metal U-lock during the April 15 rally in and around Civic Center Park. Court papers later revealed that Clanton struck at least seven people in the head, according to authorities. One person received a head laceration that required five staples to fix. Another was uninjured but had a piece of a helmet broken off. A third was struck across the neck and back, police wrote."

"Detectives said they “recovered U-locks, sunglasses, a glove, jeans, and facial coverings” consistent with items worn during the April 15 assaults, according to court documents. And a camera found at the San Leandro home contained “selfies” taken by Clanton, police said, “with him wearing black clothing and facial coverings” consistent with April 15."

wonder why the DA didn't push harder on this, or why the court let him plead no contest? evidence looks pretty strong against him.

18 hours ago, JohnnyU said:

Please don't fall into the blatant hyperbole and lies that underscores so many posters who seem to share positions with you. We need better discourse.

And I can't stand antifa - not that it's exactly a defined group, understood common ideology or set of leaders to look toward.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Quint said:

Eric Clanton, the Diablo Valley College professor who was arrested and charged in a bike-lock attack in 2017, gets three years probation.

wonder why the DA didn't push harder on this, or why the court let him plead no contest? evidence looks pretty strong against him.

No contest is tantamount to a guilty plea.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quint said:

True. But doesn’t that mean in a civil case, it’s not an admission of guilt? 

It is treated the same as pleading guilty in the criminal proceeding. However, it can not be used an admission of guilt in any future civil proceedings brought against the defendant.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quint said:

highlights:

"According to Alameda County Superior Court records, Clanton entered a “no contest” plea Wednesday to one misdemeanor battery charge. The felony charges against him were dismissed, and an allegation that he had caused serious bodily injury was stricken. A misdemeanor charge that Clanton wore a mask during the commission of the crime also was dropped."

"Police said, previously, that Clanton attacked at least three people with a metal U-lock during the April 15 rally in and around Civic Center Park. Court papers later revealed that Clanton struck at least seven people in the head, according to authorities. One person received a head laceration that required five staples to fix. Another was uninjured but had a piece of a helmet broken off. A third was struck across the neck and back, police wrote."

"Detectives said they “recovered U-locks, sunglasses, a glove, jeans, and facial coverings” consistent with items worn during the April 15 assaults, according to court documents. And a camera found at the San Leandro home contained “selfies” taken by Clanton, police said, “with him wearing black clothing and facial coverings” consistent with April 15."

Horrible

2 hours ago, Quint said:

highlights:

He should've had a better weapon.  Who uses a U-lock?

• Like 1

I have first hand knowledge of Antifa destroying my daughters friends life (in Austin). And she is not a nazi by any means, but is a Trump supporter. What they did is incredible. I guess they have a website to go after a specific individual. She had to delete all social media, lost her job and moved back to Houston.

4 minutes ago, ArbyMelt said:

I have first hand knowledge of Antifa destroying my daughters friends life (in Austin). And she is not a nazi by any means, but is a Trump supporter. What they did is incredible. I guess they have a website to go after a specific individual. She had to delete all social media, lost her job and moved back to Houston.

Considering their lack of membership rolls etc. 

How do you know it is antifa?

• Like 1