What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antifa: Left Wing Militants on the Rise (1 Viewer)

I have first hand knowledge of Antifa destroying my daughters friends life (in Austin). And she is not a nazi by any means, but is a Trump supporter. What they did is incredible. I guess they have a website to go after a specific individual. She had to delete all social media, lost her job and moved back to Houston.
how old is your daughter?

I have first hand knowledge of Antifa destroying my daughters friends life (in Austin). And she is not a nazi by any means, but is a Trump supporter. What they did is incredible. I guess they have a website to go after a specific individual. She had to delete all social media, lost her job and moved back to Houston.
Who is "Antifa" ?

Seriously, I mean, there are real people doing this... it's either organized as a group, or random individuals (who may or may not be utilizing a term and aligning with either an amorphous "idea" or more formal group).

If it were say, Dems or Reps, we could have the party leadership denounce the actions, or go after those misusing their name and "brand" for ill purpose.  In the case of Antifa, what/who is the group? Or are we talking loosely or not affiliated #######s and anarchists that need to get the sink thrown at them, but are not representative of some more formal grouping?

Also, I know plenty of Trump supporters... and "outing" them as such would have zero effect on their lives.  It might even help them in some circles, to be honest.

Now, if while doing that, their social media was strewn with other, legitimately bad ####, well, then they'd need take some responsibility for that outcome.  Regardless of the tactics used (and that's not to say the tactics are ok ... but if you are say racist, then it's not because you are a Trump supporter that you are getting fired, for example)

Considering their lack of membership rolls etc. 

How do you know it is antifa?
I know a few members.  They openly talk about it and seem pretty well organized.  They definitely have leadership and communication networks.  I think the rest is kept fairly loose though.  At least that’s the way it works here in the Bay Area.

I know a few members.  They openly talk about it and seem pretty well organized.  They definitely have leadership and communication networks.  I think the rest is kept fairly loose though.  At least that’s the way it works here in the Bay Area.
Not very anarchistic then ;)  

There will always be some sort of organizing structure and modern communication e.g. with twitter and WhatsApp give opportunities that were not present in the past.

But claimed membership (or acting on behalf of)  would likely be a hard thing to verify

Sorry but I'm gonna call :bs: on this.  Not only does it seem unlikely that someone would lose their job simply for supporting Trump, but it also might be illegal. Most places have laws that protect people from discrimination based on political affiliation.  See item #2 in this article. And if she works somewhere that affords her contractual rights, perhaps collectively  bargained ones, that would give her further protection from being fired without cause ... ironically, since the Trump administration is so strongly anti-union.

Sorry but I'm gonna call :bs: on this.  Not only does it seem unlikely that someone would lose their job simply for supporting Trump, but it also might be illegal. Most places have laws that protect people from discrimination based on political affiliation.  See item #2 in this article. And if she works somewhere that affords her contractual rights, perhaps collectively  bargained ones, that would give her further protection from being fired without cause ... ironically, since the Trump administration is so strongly anti-union.
To be fair, ArbyMelt did not say that she was fired just for being a Trump supporter. She was fired for doing something that was less worse than starting World War 2 or killing millions of Jews.

i know a couple of people who identify as "Antifa" as well, though only one goes the BlacBlock route. the other is more of a march/chant/hold-a-sign supporter up in Portland. fwiw, both are women and over 50.

here's a few sites they've linked recently:

General Defense Fund for Antifascist Activists

It's Going Down

AntiFascistNews

Unicorn Riot (live feeds)

Yeah, let's go after all those left wing militant groups. I mean, they're shooting people and bombing people all the time in America, right?

This is what's known as false equivalency. 

Quint said:
i know a couple of people who identify as "Antifa" as well, though only one goes the BlacBlock route. the other is more of a march/chant/hold-a-sign supporter up in Portland. fwiw, both are women and over 50.

here's a few sites they've linked recently:

General Defense Fund for Antifascist Activists

It's Going Down

AntiFascistNews

Unicorn Riot (live feeds)
From It's Going Down...

It's Going Down is a digital community center from anarchist, anti-fascist, autonomous anti-capitalist and anti-colonial movements. Our mission is to provide a resilient platform to publicize and promote revolutionary theory and action.
Again...a majority of these people are against mainstream politics...democrats and republicans.  They hate the system in general.

Oopsies  https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/white-supremacist-cop-suspended-richmond-virginia_us_5c5b677be4b00187b5580989?utm_source=reddit.com

A Virginia police sergeant has been suspended after his apparent affinity for a neo-pagan white nationalist group was exposed by local anti-fascist activists.

Sgt. Robert Stamm, 36, was placed on paid administrative leave Wednesday, according to a statement from the Virginia Division of Capitol Police, the law enforcement agency tasked with policing the state Capitol grounds in Richmond.

Yeah, let's go after all those left wing militant groups. I mean, they're shooting people and bombing people all the time in America, right?

This is what's known as false equivalency
Always felt there was a level of hypocrisy in this term.  It leads to the inability to discuss the negatives of something on its own merit.   Usually the defender of such a thing claims equivalence is implied where none was ever suggested.

Last August, Paul Welch, a registered Democrat who supported Bernie Sanders, told local newspapers that he was brutally assaulted by Antifa members who were protesting a right-wing rally because he possessed a "fascist symbol" - an American flag.
This is a new one to me.

Imagine the outrage if a alleged right wing group targeted and assaulted a LGBTQ minority journalist.  
This is a terrible analogy.

The victim in this case was not targeted. He was a participant in the skirmish.

This attempt to manufacture victim status is exactly the sort of thing that conservatives usually criticize, but apparently it's okay to co-opt the concept if it benefits their cause.

This attempt to manufacture victim status is exactly the sort of thing that conservatives usually criticize, but apparently it's okay to co-opt the concept if it benefits their cause.
Are we talking about Andrew Ngo?  I don't think he was a participant in anything, other than attending the rally in his role as a journalist.  

Who was targeted?
This fellow.

And just to go ahead and get an obvious point out of the way, the current president of the United States has openly advocated for violence against journalists, refers to them as the enemy of the people, and would shut down CNN and The Washington Post if he could.  That doesn't make this attack okay.

ANTIFA violence is permitted as it's a form of self defense. Fascists have killed before and will kill again. The threat of violence justifies assaults.    

Are we talking about Andrew Ngo?  I don't think he was a participant in anything, other than attending the rally in his role as a journalist.  
:shrug:

The video shows him standing right in the middle of a group of yelling protesters.

:shrug:

The video shows him standing right in the middle of a group of yelling protesters.

ANTIFA violence is permitted as it's a form of self defense. Fascists have killed before and will kill again. The threat of violence justifies assaults.    
Standing there, filming a protest is journalism.  It's not a threat of violence or incitement or asking for it.  It's literally what journalists are supposed to do.  The people who attacked Ngo weren't acting in self-defense -- it was pure aggression.

This fellow.

And just to go ahead and get an obvious point out of the way, the current president of the United States has openly advocated for violence against journalists, refers to them as the enemy of the people, and would shut down CNN and The Washington Post if he could.  That doesn't make this attack okay.
Targeted in the analogy and what appears to have happened here seems to be two different things.

Standing there, filming a protest is journalism.  It's not a threat of violence or incitement or asking for it.  It's literally what journalists are supposed to do.  The people who attacked Ngo weren't acting in self-defense -- it was pure aggression.
I didn't see him filming, not that it's required to be a journalist.  Is his film available?

He has spent over a decade with them... Attending meetings and engaging in their culture.  So He knows things.
Ok...that doesnt mean anyone else justifies violence or think its acceptable behavior.  I get that Antifa thinks they are justified.  

Users who are viewing this thread