Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Antifa: Left Wing Militants on the Rise


Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:

This has become pretty obvious.  Same reason the Klan started with it.  Cowardly and to hide your identity for your crimes.

Or not wanting anyone to see who you truly are as you are an imposter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm starting an alt-moderate radical militant group.   We fight the extreme left and extreme right by sitting on our butts, drinking beer, watching football and eating pizza.   

All I'm all for criticizing Antifa, but it seems odd to do so shortly after a violent outburst by white nationalists having nothing to do with Antifa.

It doesn't make any difference whether this guy writes straight news or opinion columns, where his work is published, whether he was filming anybody or not, or whether he was wearing a fedora with an

6 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:
4 hours ago, [scooter] said:

:shrug:

The video shows him standing right in the middle of a group of yelling protesters.

So then by that logic it would have been ok for protesters at Trump rallies to be assaulted?  Come on.

I never said it was OK.

But there's a sliding scale of culpability and victimhood.

For example, on one end would be a person who is clearly identified as a journalist by their press credentials, who maintains a safe distance from an altercation, and observes the altercation without appearing to participate in it.

On the other end would be a person who is not clearly identified as a journalist, who positions themselves right in the middle of an altercation, and who appears to participate in it.

From what I have seen of the Portland incident, Ngo's involvement did not fit the first description. Can he still be considered a victim? Sure. But if he was deliberately positioning himself right in the middle of the fracas, and not identifying himself as a journalist, then I'm not going to put his victim status on the same level as I'd place an innocent bystander.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Do some people think he was filming the counter-protest just for his own personal consumption?

They think he was participating with the Proud Boys and their sympathizers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

According to his Wikipedia page, he’s written mostly for The Wall Street Journal and Quillette. If you’re interested in which specific articles he’s authored, I haven’t done the relevant googling to provide an answer.

The Wall Street Journal thing is an opinion piece. I can write an opinion piece for the Wall Street Journal as well, you basically just need an email. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Hey I am liberal as you, but why do the counter protests not want any coverage?  Everyone at a protest is fair game to be covered.  And why do they wear hoods and masks?  None of us should approve of this.

There are different reasons for this.  One is historical.  

Antifa actually began as an anti-fascist movement in a time of textbook fascism.  They wore hoods and masks to keep from being identified by fascist governments that would arrest them and either send them to work camps or execute them. 

More recently it’s allegedly to keep them from being found later by elements they accuse of fascism, for personal safety.  I would imagine it is also to keep from being identified and doxxed to jobs and friends. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, BigSteelThrill said:

I dont approve of "Antifa" as a organized group , I actually think much of it is fake... and there has been findings that have shown conservative groups promoting antifa on the hush-hush. 

I'm interested in reading these findings. Where are they posted?

  • Thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

There are different reasons for this.  One is historical.  

Antifa actually began as an anti-fascist movement in a time of textbook fascism.  They wore hoods and masks to keep from being identified by fascist governments that would arrest them and either send them to work camps or execute them. 

More recently it’s allegedly to keep them from being found later by elements they accuse of fascism, for personal safety.  I would imagine it is also to keep from being identified and doxxed to jobs and friends. 

Watched some interviews, not sure they are really liberal either.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Max Power said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mrandyngo?lang=en

Some of his stuff. Looks like a lot of transgender and Antifa reporting.

Also antifa doesnt seem to just target neo-nazis. They target random people and trump voters. 

I’m sorry.  I’m really not a twitter guy.  Is that a list of stories he’s reported on?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

I never said it was OK.

But there's a sliding scale of culpability and victimhood.

For example, on one end would be a person who is clearly identified as a journalist by their press credentials, who maintains a safe distance from an altercation, and observes the altercation without appearing to participate in it.

On the other end would be a person who is not clearly identified as a journalist, who positions themselves right in the middle of an altercation, and who appears to participate in it.

From what I have seen of the Portland incident, Ngo's involvement did not fit the first description. Can he still be considered a victim? Sure. But if he was deliberately positioning himself right in the middle of the fracas, and not identifying himself as a journalist, then I'm not going to put his victim status on the same level as I'd place an innocent bystander.

I understand your point and yes being at a distance versus being in close would be safer, but to me this should be a zero tolerance issue.  Someone is going to get killed soon I fear.  I know personally if I were going to be in the proximity of an Antifa demonstration, be it outside of my office or on my route to work, I'd be carrying a pistol for my protection.  I read some of what BigSteel was saying above and initially disagreeing.  But the more I considered it, I'd feel the same way from the other side of the spectrum.  I think being put in a position we see as in peril, especially from someone who both parties know is of the opposite political view and that other party has shown a propensity for violence, of course people are going to defend themselves or their family.  Self defense is totally different from instigating an assault.  However, violence is becoming less the exception today and it's a very slippery slope.  We shouldn't tolerate it anywhere.  We joke here back and forth on this "both sides" thing.  Well, it is pretty obvious no matter which "side" is an aggressor, someone, somewhere, is going to use that for their justification to do something as bad or worse.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Summer Wheat said:

Watched some interviews, not sure they are really liberal either.

It’s certainly a different organization now than then. I don’t disagree with meeting fascist violence with violent disruption, but of course it has to be actually facing fascist violence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Max Power said:

I'm interested in reading these findings. Where are they posted?

I dont have any handy links. But recall in the Oakland BLM movement, Antifa came to counter-counter-protest those against BLM, and some were exposed as being right-wing and just trying to get violence rolling.  Recall them running being pictured with handlers before the event.

That's one of the reasons I have no use for organized Antifa, as long as the masks are there -- I consider them bullcrap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Watched some interviews, not sure they are really liberal either.

Well, you don’t have to be liberal to oppose fascism.  It cuts across a lot of lines. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:
24 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

I never said it was OK.

But there's a sliding scale of culpability and victimhood.

For example, on one end would be a person who is clearly identified as a journalist by their press credentials, who maintains a safe distance from an altercation, and observes the altercation without appearing to participate in it.

On the other end would be a person who is not clearly identified as a journalist, who positions themselves right in the middle of an altercation, and who appears to participate in it.

From what I have seen of the Portland incident, Ngo's involvement did not fit the first description. Can he still be considered a victim? Sure. But if he was deliberately positioning himself right in the middle of the fracas, and not identifying himself as a journalist, then I'm not going to put his victim status on the same level as I'd place an innocent bystander.

I understand your point and yes being at a distance versus being in close would be safer, but to me this should be a zero tolerance issue.  Someone is going to get killed soon I fear.  I know personally if I were going to be in the proximity of an Antifa demonstration, be it outside of my office or on my route to work, I'd be carrying a pistol for my protection.  I read some of what BigSteel was saying above and initially disagreeing.  But the more I considered it, I'd feel the same way from the other side of the spectrum.  I think being put in a position we see as in peril, especially from someone who both parties know is of the opposite political view and that other party has shown a propensity for violence, of course people are going to defend themselves or their family.  Self defense is totally different from instigating an assault.  However, violence is becoming less the exception today and it's a very slippery slope.  We shouldn't tolerate it anywhere.  We joke here back and forth on this "both sides" thing.  Well, it is pretty obvious no matter which "side" is an aggressor, someone, somewhere, is going to use that for their justification to do something as bad or worse.  

Yeah. Welcome to August 2017.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Yeah. Welcome to August 2017.

And the guy shooting Republican legislators happened June 2017. So what?  They are separate incidents carried out by cowards and people we should despise and give no cover to.  If you want to go below that bar to feel your side is better somehow then have at it.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Shula-holic said:
55 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Yeah. Welcome to August 2017.

And the guy shooting Republican legislators happened June 2017. So what?  They are separate incidents carried out by cowards and people we should despise and give no cover to.  If you want to go below that bar to feel your side is better somehow then have at it.  

My "side"? Ugh. I thought we were having a thoughtful engagement here.

I'm not on Antifa's side. Nor am I on the side of the Proud Boys (or whoever the right wing protesters were).

My point is that "someone getting killed at a standoff between protest groups" already happened. It seemed odd for you to bring up the idea as if it hadn't happened before.

If you meant something different by "Someone is going to get killed soon", then I apologize.

Edited by [scooter]
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

My "side"? Ugh. I thought we were having a thoughtful engagement here.

I'm not on Antifa's side. Nor am I on the side of the Proud Boys (or whoever the right wing protesters were).

My point is that "someone getting killed at a standoff between protest groups" already happened. It seemed odd for you to bring it up the idea as if it hadn't happened before.

If you meant something different by "Someone is going to get killed soon", then I apologize.

Something happening soon doesn't infer to me that it hasn't happened in the past.  However, more specifically It was meant in regards to these increasingly violent Antifa protests.  There's not many more ways for it to end up IMO.

Edited by Shula-holic
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way to stop Antifa is to give them what they want. We should elect a radical leftist to run this country, maybe somebody like Louis Farrakhan. Otherwise there will be a civil war and the Communists will win. 

Edited by timschochet
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

Has the latest Antifa attack been condemned by any of the 68 Democrats running for President?

There’s “very fine people on both sides”. 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

According to his Wikipedia page, he’s written mostly for The Wall Street Journal and Quillette. If you’re interested in which specific articles he’s authored, I haven’t done the relevant googling to provide an answer.

I went through his stories at Quillette.  Every story is slanted right. Nothing wrong with that for sure.  He may be a “journalist” but from what I’ve seen it’s more commentary than reporting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, timschochet said:

The only way to stop Antifa is to give them what they want. We should elect a radical leftist to run this country, maybe somebody like Louis Farrakhan. Otherwise there will be a civil war and the Communists will win. 

Or we could just get rid of facists. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't make any difference whether this guy writes straight news or opinion columns, where his work is published, whether he was filming anybody or not, or whether he was wearing a fedora with an old-timey card that says PRESS stuck in the brim.  Violence against peaceful observers is wrong.  Those of you who are getting hung up on side issues and dodging that simple point should stop and ask yourself why.

  • Like 12
  • Love 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, timschochet said:

The only way to stop Antifa is to give them what they want. We should elect a radical leftist to run this country, maybe somebody like Louis Farrakhan. Otherwise there will be a civil war and the Communists will win. 

Can you unpack this for me?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea why people are defending Antifa either. They remind me of those anti-skinhead kids that listened to hardcore music and formed groups to beat up skinheads when the skinheads got violent but then morphed into gangs themselves.

Short version: they remind me of Boston's FSU gangs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Serious comment now: 99% of Americans don’t like these groups, whether they’re  from left or right,  and never will. The main reason these incidents get attention is in order create the impression that the other side condones them or approves of them. In this particular case it’s part of a specific plan to paint the Democratic Party as extremist in preparation for the upcoming election- but in general the Democrats are willing to play this same sort of card against the Republicans every bit as often. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Serious comment now: 99% of Americans don’t like these groups, whether they’re  from left or right,  and never will. The main reason these incidents get attention is in order create the impression that the other side condones them or approves of them. In this particular case it’s part of a specific plan to paint the Democratic Party as extremist in preparation for the upcoming election- but in general the Democrats are willing to play this same sort of card against the Republicans every bit as often. 

Correct. See posts above.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Max Power said:

Antifa has hit the textbook definition of a terrorist group.  There is no debate about it.  They are terrorists. 

what's the definition of a terrorist group for you? what are other examples of terrorist groups operating within our borders?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, saintfool said:

what's the definition of a terrorist group for you? what are other examples of terrorist groups operating within our borders?

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/terrorism

terrorism

[ ter-uh-riz-uh m ]

noun

the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

 

Other examples would be the KKK, the Aryan Brotherhood and others in that mold.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

It doesn't make any difference whether this guy writes straight news or opinion columns, where his work is published, whether he was filming anybody or not, or whether he was wearing a fedora with an old-timey card that says PRESS stuck in the brim.  Violence against peaceful observers is wrong.  Those of you who are getting hung up on side issues and dodging that simple point should stop and ask yourself why.

Dear self,

Why?

Sincerely,

Me

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 12:43 PM, Max Power said:
On 7/2/2019 at 4:23 AM, timschochet said:

The only way to stop Antifa is to give them what they want. We should elect a radical leftist to run this country, maybe somebody like Louis Farrakhan. Otherwise there will be a civil war and the Communists will win. 

Can you unpack this for me?

He is channelling RiversCo's nazi schtick

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bananafish said:

I've been too busy to follow this closely and had just assumed this was more of the usual right/left back and forth. Then I heard Sam Harris rant about it on his podcast: https://samharris.org/podcasts/162-medical-intelligence/

His podcast isn't really political per se, but he's certainly a liberal and vociferous Trump critic (and his podcast is one of the best around). I share his alarm that this incident is largely being justified or minimized by the left which is absolutely nauseating. Attacking a journalist who is armed with nothing but a camera is appalling no matter who he works for, and going through mental loop-de-loops to rationalize it or explain it away like he had it coming is just as bad if not worse than anything Trump supporters have done. It's worse because we've had the "luxury" of seeing what he's done to the Republican Party and you'd think we'd be especially wary of the same thing happening to our own. We have to be better than this. You can't call out Trump for calling the press "the enemy of the people" and then turn around beat reporters. It's gross and totally and unequivocally un-American. Or at least I thought it was. Maybe this is who we are now.

Kudos to @tommyGunZ for calling it out right off the bat, but most of the other responses from people I usually agree with are shocking. I guess I don't know them as well as I thought I did.

We are in for some scary times ahead if everybody is willing to just throw ethics and morality out the window to support their side. Yes, I know Trump supporters do it, but does that make it okay for the left to do it too?

What did this old dude do to deserve getting hit with a crowbar? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwRYYvuupq4

I don't care if he's a card-carrying member of Stormfront, this behavior is so obviously unjustified and grotesque that anything other than universal condemnation HAS to be condemned.  Otherwise we're done for.

Rogan had a guy on shortly after the Portland attacks on Ngo to semi defend Antifa.  His view was that anyone and everyone that goes to a rally is fair game.  Including the press.  That they advertise these events enough that "normal" people know to avoid these places on those days. 

He likened Antifa to the left wing's version of a vigilante.  Standing up for the people who either can't stand up for themselves or "have too much to lose" (his words) by participating in these attacks.  It makes people feel good to go to sleep knowing that the bullies can't just push them around with no repercussions. 

I wish I had the guy's name handy.  I didn't agree with much of what he said, but he laid out his thoughts in a way where I could see how others would justify Antifa. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 6:35 AM, Max Power said:

Antifa has hit the textbook definition of a terrorist group.  There is no debate about it.  They are terrorists. 

Saw this coming after Charlottesville.  Any questioning of the role that antifa played was justified by many here as the fight against the Nazis, as if the Third Reich had been reassembled.    Buffoons throwing around the phrase "false equivalence"  and insisting that any anti-antifa stance was pro-Nazi.  An absolutely bizarre "if you're not with us, you're against us" herd mentality that was and, still is, both scary and embarrassing to me as an American.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, DropKick said:

Saw this coming after Charlottesville.  Any questioning of the role that antifa played was justified by many here as the fight against the Nazis, as if the Third Reich had been reassembled.    Buffoons throwing around the phrase "false equivalence"  and insisting that any anti-antifa stance was pro-Nazi.  An absolutely bizarre "if you're not with us, you're against us" herd mentality that was and, still is, both scary and embarrassing to me as an American.

 

Who justified antifa and any use of violence here?  Or that anything anti antifa was pro nazi?  You made an awful large accusation against posters here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Big Steel Thrill, among others.

One person.  Not many as he claimed.  I think most said they are against such violence and I have nit seen anyone be called pro nazi for being anti-antifa 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...