What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antifa: Left Wing Militants on the Rise (1 Viewer)

I guess I just don’t have the hate in my heart to cancel someone for a select slur as many lefties do.  Would you feel the same if it was a slur against a white person or against a predominantly white ethnic group?
I shouldn't go here, but like who, what groups?  Are there people hanging anti Norwegian  flags on their lawns? 🙃

By definition this is a racist comment.  Lump together a whole group based upon your stereotype.  
Keep trying KD :lmao:

I used to live near Lancaster and very familiar with the Amish.  Actually purchased a hickory rocker and high chair for our first born back in the day.  Wonderful people.   I am unaware of any directed hate towards this group however. 

I used to live near Lancaster and very familiar with the Amish.  Actually purchased a hickory rocker and high chair for our first born back in the day.  Wonderful people.   I am unaware of any directed hate towards this group however. 
Amish Rake Fighters took me down in the championship game in 2006.  I'm still pretty hateful.  Them and their fabulous furniture.

The last 15 years? Has anyone ever heard of Antifa before 2016 and Trump?
It is common for people to retroactively characterize the anarchists who contributed to the 1999 WTO riots and violent protests after that as Antifa, even though Antifa did not exist.   Those anarchists also wore black and covered their faces, so it was easy for irresponsible right-leaning news outlets to mischaracterize them as Antifa, creating a whole new boogeyman for their fearmongering.   

My girlfriend is from Amish country.   I've been slowed by numerous Amish traffic jams, created by one buggy going in each direction on a two-lane road.   Amish is not a race, and stating that they drive buggies is not a racist comment.   They do drive buggies, and nobody else does.   

This is one of the most ridiculous reaches to try to take offense on behalf of someone else I've ever read. 

It is common for people to retroactively characterize the anarchists who contributed to the 1999 WTO riots and violent protests after that as Antifa, even though Antifa did not exist.   Those anarchists also wore black and covered their faces, so it was easy for irresponsible right-leaning news outlets to mischaracterize them as Antifa, creating a whole new boogeyman for their fearmongering.   

Wow.  Look at this guy make stuff up.  :doh:

Wow.  Look at this guy make stuff up.  :doh:
It's well documented if you actually care about facts.   Anarchist groups like the Youth Liberation Front have been inciting violence at protests in the Pacific Northwest for 20 years or more.   They have nothing whatsoever to do with Antifa.

Like you have nothing whatsoever to do with facts.

Anarchists

This link shows the anarchists that insert themselves into nearly every protest in Seattle and Oregon, with the sole goal of causing damage.   They have nothing to do with Antifa.    But they wear black so they must be Antifa, whatever that is supposed to be.

The police identify the same people at all of these events.   

Anarchists

This link shows the anarchists that insert themselves into nearly every protest in Seattle and Oregon, with the sole goal of causing damage.   They have nothing to do with Antifa.    But they wear black so they must be Antifa, whatever that is supposed to be.

The police identify the same people at all of these events.   
I can’t speak for other cities, but when we had BLM protests in Oakland, almost all of the looting and vandalism took place away from the protests while the police were distracted. I’m sure the Bladerunners of the world count them as Antifa/BLM, but they looked like professional criminals seizing an opportunity

I can’t speak for other cities, but when we had BLM protests in Oakland, almost all of the looting and vandalism took place away from the protests while the police were distracted. I’m sure the Bladerunners of the world count them as Antifa/BLM, but they looked like professional criminals seizing an opportunity
yep.  but they wear black!  antifa!  zomg!

I took a 4 course graduate program on Terrorism Analysis in 2008-2010. There wasn't any Antifa then, we spent significant time looking at domestic terror groups. They definitely did not exist at that point.
They weren't called antifa back then, they were "anti-globalists" and "anti-capitalists" and anarchists. Don't you remember the WTO protests in Seattle back in the day?

These are the people that just want to "mess stuff up" (in PG terms) and take down the system.  They were around breaking windows when I was in college pre 9-11.

They weren't called antifa back then, they were "anti-globalists" and "anti-capitalists" and anarchists. Don't you remember the WTO protests in Seattle back in the day?

These are the people that just want to "mess stuff up" (in PG terms) and take down the system.  They were around breaking windows when I was in college pre 9-11.
They weren't a domestic terrorism organization.

I'm not even sure they meet that definition even today. The organization portion is at question, they don't seem to be particularly organized. They remind me more of Anonymous, picking up a banner to use for whatever their local agenda happens to be.

Playing dumb is no way to go thru life.

I know you've heard of them.   Ever hear of Occupy Wall Street?  Yeah.  They are at all of the world Summits (G20, G7, WTO, etc...)  too for at least the last 20 as well as all of the riots in the US.  But Antifa has been around far longer than that, just not as high profile and vocal as they are now since they've been supported by liberal and Democrats leaders (and the rank and file).

Let's not play that game, please, where you pretend something doesn't exist because you've never heard of them until yesterday - and then you still pretend they don't exist.

Also: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/the-rise-of-the-violent-left/534192/
There has been violent leftism for a long time. Going back to the 60s you can find examples. That doesn't make them Antifa though.

The Black Panther Party is not Antifa much like Hamas is not Hezbollah and the KKK is not the Proud Boys. If you can't make that distinction, I don't know what to tell you.

They weren't called antifa because they weren't the same people. Maybe there is some overlap, but they're different groups.

Would you feel better if they wore white?
The point is people started claiming anyone wearing black was antifa.

Backpack?  antifa

Someone even argued with me that the guy who was busted setting fire to the Nashville courthouse must have been antifa because he had on a deadpool tshirt.

They weren't a domestic terrorism organization.

I'm not even sure they meet that definition even today. The organization portion is at question, they don't seem to be particularly organized. They remind me more of Anonymous, picking up a banner to use for whatever their local agenda happens to be.
Sure. They also suck in general. 

They weren't called antifa because they weren't the same people. Maybe there is some overlap, but they're different groups.
I think it's likely the anti-globalists of 15 years ago simply became Antifa-ites, which also gained adherents that weren't involved in left wing direct action prior to 5-8 or so years ago. 

New: FBI infiltrated Portland’s racial justice protests last year in an effort spanning months into 2021.

Agents captured clandestine video, dressed in black clothing to blend in, and guided local police toward arrests.

From the NYT Article:

The F.B.I. set up extensive surveillance operations inside Portland’s protest movement, according to documents obtained by The New York Times and current and former federal officials, with agents standing shoulder to shoulder with activists, tailing vandalism suspects to guide the local police toward arrests and furtively videotaping inside one of the country’s most active domestic protest movements.

Arrest made for actions during an August 22, 2021 protest in Portland.

"Tiny" Toese Jailed for August 22 Actions...

Toese is facing a total of eleven criminal charges.

"I know days from now, I might be arrested," he said at the time. "I'm sick and tired, and if we have to die to defend ourselves, our families, and our farging freedom in America, we're gonna do it."

Toese has been charged with three counts of assault in the second degree, two counts of assault in the third degree, two counts of unlawful use of a weapon, two counts of riot, and two counts of criminal mischief.

@jon_mx

Lets take this to the appropriate thread. You claim 95% of the charges were dropped against people charged in relation to the BLM riots. Got any data to back that up?

You claim 0% of people charged in relation to Jan 6 have had their cases dropped. A quick Google search shows that to be a lie.  I’m sure there are more, I just don’t feel like looking into it

@jon_mx

Lets take this to the appropriate thread. You claim 95% of the charges were dropped against people charged in relation to the BLM riots. Got any data to back that up?

You claim 0% of people charged in relation to Jan 6 have had their cases dropped. A quick Google search shows that to be a lie.  I’m sure there are more, I just don’t feel like looking into it

Don't hold your breath on seeing documentation for that. 

@jon_mx

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/17/george-floyd-protesters-charges-citations-analysis

The vast majority of citations and charges against George Floyd protesters were ultimately dropped, dismissed or otherwise not filed, according to a Guardian analysis of law enforcement records and media reports in a dozen jurisdictions around the nation.

After Breonna Taylor's death, activists fought to ban surprise police raids. One year later, they're winning

But some prosecutors and law enforcement observers charge that departments carried out mass arrests as a crowd control tactic, as a means to silence peaceful protesters, and as a public relations strategy designed to turn the public against demonstrators by making them appear more violent than they were. And what’s more – some of the citing officers never witnessed the protests in the first place.

“It sends a message that you might get arrested if you express your views and first amendment rights,” said Vera Eidelman, staff attorney with the ACLU’s speech, privacy and technology project. “Police absolutely should not be relying on mass arrests to control a crowd or silence people who they disagree with.”

In most of a dozen jurisdictions examined, at least 90% of cases were dropped or dismissed. In some cities, like Dallas and Philadelphia, as many as 95% of citations were dropped or not prosecuted.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/apr/17/george-floyd-protesters-charges-citations-analysis

The vast majority of citations and charges against George Floyd protesters were ultimately dropped, dismissed or otherwise not filed, according to a Guardian analysis of law enforcement records and media reports in a dozen jurisdictions around the nation.

After Breonna Taylor's death, activists fought to ban surprise police raids. One year later, they're winning

But some prosecutors and law enforcement observers charge that departments carried out mass arrests as a crowd control tactic, as a means to silence peaceful protesters, and as a public relations strategy designed to turn the public against demonstrators by making them appear more violent than they were. And what’s more – some of the citing officers never witnessed the protests in the first place.

“It sends a message that you might get arrested if you express your views and first amendment rights,” said Vera Eidelman, staff attorney with the ACLU’s speech, privacy and technology project. “Police absolutely should not be relying on mass arrests to control a crowd or silence people who they disagree with.”

In most of a dozen jurisdictions examined, at least 90% of cases were dropped or dismissed. In some cities, like Dallas and Philadelphia, as many as 95% of citations were dropped or not prosecuted.
How does a police raid occur if its not a surprise?

Right there in your supposed proof is the reason why these cases were dropped. They weren't legitimate arrests and prosecutors knew it. I'm no lawyer but I know well enough that any prosecutor worth a damn wouldn't prosecute any case based on an illegitimate arrest. 

Right there in your supposed proof is the reason why these cases were dropped. They weren't legitimate arrests and prosecutors knew it. I'm no lawyer but I know well enough that any prosecutor worth a damn wouldn't prosecute any case based on an illegitimate arrest. 

That was the excuse given by liberal prosecutors who have no interest in filing charges.  These are the same prosecutors who refuse to charge any thiefs who steal less than $1000.  

You guys should start a "Yeah, but...." thread.

Where's the "yeah, but," in my post? I simply pointed out the failure of his reading comprehension of the very link he posted. 

That was the excuse given by liberal prosecutors who have no interest in filing charges.  These are the same prosecutors who refuse to charge any thiefs who steal less than $1000.  
I read nothing in that link to indicate the political leanings of those prosecutors. Nonetheless, prosecutorial ethics rate higher on the scale than party affiliation when it comes to doing one's job.

Users who are viewing this thread