What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday (1 Viewer)

Bull Dozier said:
Yeah, their website gave the caution that delivery was at least six weeks out. I'm potentially going back to the office 4/1, so I was hoping this would assist me in being able to fit into my work clothes again, but looks like I'll need to start an alternative.
What alternatives are out there right now? About to have foot surgery and be limited was thinking I could pedal w back of foot to do something but time line is tough. 

Bull Dozier said:
I generally don't like buying used for an item like this.  You never know how it was treated before you get it.  Hopefully yours has been good for you.
It seems to me that for fitness equipment, people either:

A.  Buy it, like it, and continue using it (or plan to eventually use it) 

B. Buy it, decide its not for them, and look to sell it off without much use

It was barely used and in great shape when I picked it up, no issues.  Since then, Peloton sent out a deal a year or so ago to upgrade the gen 1 monitors to the current gen that I took advantage of and then they sent out a "recall" for the pedals for free replacement.  Lots of miles on it with no issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a basic weight set and a cheap projector and screen in my basement hooked up to a Roku with the Peloton app installed.  I see that aside from the cycling, Peloton has a bunch of content for other activities like strength, yoga, cardio, meditation, running, tread & bike bootcamps, etc.

Has anyone been doing their strength classes?  If so, what has been your experience?  Any in particular you'd recommend?

I have a basic weight set and a cheap projector and screen in my basement hooked up to a Roku with the Peloton app installed.  I see that aside from the cycling, Peloton has a bunch of content for other activities like strength, yoga, cardio, meditation, running, tread & bike bootcamps, etc.

Has anyone been doing their strength classes?  If so, what has been your experience?  Any in particular you'd recommend?
MY wife has done a few of the strength classes and enjoyed them. Our select tech dumbells need some TLC so those are out of commission right now. I have done some of the yoga and barre and they were solid, especially the yoga was really good. Like most of their material it feels like things that are newer take some time for them to get in the groove of creating the material. Just look at old cycling material to see the difference. Although I have always felt like everything I have taken has been worth my time and money. 

What alternatives are out there right now? About to have foot surgery and be limited was thinking I could pedal w back of foot to do something but time line is tough. 
Wife and I purchased Joroto X2 at the end of last January and have been loving it. Think of it as a cheaper less fancy magnetic(quiet) spin bike. Add a "Wahoo Cadence Monitor" to the pedal, subscribing to the Peloton App for $14/month, and through the power of bluetooth and a smart device, we use iphone/ipad, you have a Peloton light. 300+ classes later we love it. Its a great option that's a little more work and doesn't have the fancy giant screen, and you need to switch the pedals if you want the clip ins, but it has been fantastic for us.

I bought a Peloton a few weeks before Christmas and it's getting delivered at the end of January.  I had to stop running due to knee issues and the weight slowly crept back on so hoping the Peloton can at least help with some motivation.  In preparation, I started reading up on beginner's classes and such and got completely overwhelmed - so much of it was focused on social media and joining team so-and-so and getting your shout-outs.  I really don't want any of that - just classes and a little bit of competition to push me out of my comfort zone.  Any suggestions on where to start once it arrives?

I bought a Peloton a few weeks before Christmas and it's getting delivered at the end of January.  I had to stop running due to knee issues and the weight slowly crept back on so hoping the Peloton can at least help with some motivation.  In preparation, I started reading up on beginner's classes and such and got completely overwhelmed - so much of it was focused on social media and joining team so-and-so and getting your shout-outs.  I really don't want any of that - just classes and a little bit of competition to push me out of my comfort zone.  Any suggestions on where to start once it arrives?
I am not on Social Media, you don't need it.

Just create a profile, then when you want to ride you press 'classes' and filter by time/type/instructor, and ride.  It's very simple and straightforward - ignore all that noise you are reading

As for competition, I get my competitive spirits up in a few ways:

-You can 'friend' (they call it something else) others.  You can also see if that person(s) have done a ride, and see how you are doing vs them at any given point in the ride.  I sometimes do that with a ride my neighbor has done and 'chase' him (of course he is not there, but it works for me)

-You can also do pre-recorded rides and see how you are doing against other riders around the world who are taking that ride at the same time.  I use that for motivation, usually finding a person who is close to my level and 'racing' him/her (of course they likely have no idea I am doing that unless they are similarly motivated).  It works for me

-You always can see how you do vs the 'all-time' list of people who have done a certain ride.  I try to end up in upper 15% of riders as a personal expectation.  So if there are 7000 riders that have taken it I will make it my goal to end up in the top 1000.  As it gets to the end of the ride I might be 1,072 and I will push myself to get ahead of 72 riders and end up in top 1,000.  Again, no one cares other than me but it motivates me and pushes me

-The last bit is the PR/PB (personal record / personal best).  Your PR is always shown.  On a good day you'll start off and before you know it, 10 mins into the ride you are close to the PR.  At this point you can determine to get a new PR and it's on, pushing 'today wilked' to beat 'one month ago wilked'.  Those ones are usually the hardest, as setting new PRs requires you to go all out once you've been at it a bit.  

So that's the things that motivate me

There are beginner and advance-beginner rides. Get comfortable there. Then you can take shorter classes to explore the ride types.

Over time, you'll gravitate toward certain ride types. I like Power Zone, Climb, plain old regular rides, and professional cycler rides; I don't like Tabata, HIIT rides, but that's because they're hard!

Then there are rides with certain music types. I'm for classic rock, rock, some pop, and "artist series" rides that feature one musician or band. For example, Emma Lovewell has a great Red Hot Chili Peppers ride.

Then there are instructors. I like most, but I'm a Matt, Denis, Emma person. I occasionally ride Robin (she's tough, but less so now as she's pregnant), Hannah C, Christine, Olivia. Kendall is a rocker and she's a beast. Sam is a bit of a snoozer. My wife loves Cody and Ben.

Point is, ease into it and after a couple weeks, think about where you want to be in a year, not a month.

I do a lot of the strength classes. The core classes are awesome - I’ve been doing those every day since the pandemic started and has made a big difference. I also do some of the upper body classes a few days a week to complement the workout my legs get on the bike. They aren’t going to help you get big or anything, but they at least help me keep a certain baseline of arm and back strength. 

I don't do any of the social aspects of Peloton. A few of my neighbors have Peloton and have added each other as friends but I haven't done that. There's a feature where you can click the hand symbol next to each user's name and "high five" them. I used to get high fives and return them, but I stopped doing that months ago. I hide the leaderboard during my ride. I do all pre-recorded rides, no live ones. I don't have any hashtags or any of that. I love the Peloton and get everything I want out of it, without any of the social "interaction." So you don't need to do any of that if you don't want to. 

I also used to run on a treadmill and stopped because of knee issues (I'm in my late 40s). No knee problems on Peloton, and my weight is lower than when I was running. I would start out on beginner rides with some different instructors for a few weeks, and just move up from there. 

I don't do any of the social aspects of Peloton. A few of my neighbors have Peloton and have added each other as friends but I haven't done that. There's a feature where you can click the hand symbol next to each user's name and "high five" them. I used to get high fives and return them, but I stopped doing that months ago. I hide the leaderboard during my ride. I do all pre-recorded rides, no live ones. I don't have any hashtags or any of that. I love the Peloton and get everything I want out of it, without any of the social "interaction." So you don't need to do any of that if you don't want to. 

I also used to run on a treadmill and stopped because of knee issues (I'm in my late 40s). No knee problems on Peloton, and my weight is lower than when I was running. I would start out on beginner rides with some different instructors for a few weeks, and just move up from there. 
Same here, compete against yourself. And don't sweat it when your overweight neighbor or a woman in her 60s from Kalamazoo finishes ahead of you on the leaderboard, as calibration of bikes can vary wildly. 

Same here, compete against yourself. And don't sweat it when your overweight neighbor or a woman in her 60s from Kalamazoo finishes ahead of you on the leaderboard, as calibration of bikes can vary wildly. 
Once you find a ride you really like, bookmark it and come back to it monthly. You can set the leader board to "just me" and essentially ride against yourself. I have a 30 minute I've done about 6 times, and it is a good reminder of how I was riding month by month. 

If I were you, I would take a new instructor every time you ride until you have done a majority of them. Each have their own thing. My wife only rides Cody Rigsby. He is OK, but not what I would choose. Maybe you think Jess King looks good, but I find her annoying and can’t ride her rides. Find a group of instructors you enjoy and then fine tune. 
I personally spend 95% of my time doing power zone rides. You may hate them. Just test the waters. 

If I were you, I would take a new instructor every time you ride until you have done a majority of them. Each have their own thing. My wife only rides Cody Rigsby. He is OK, but not what I would choose. Maybe you think Jess King looks good, but I find her annoying and can’t ride her rides. Find a group of instructors you enjoy and then fine tune. 
I personally spend 95% of my time doing power zone rides. You may hate them. Just test the waters. 
Good advice here...my wife and I have different favorites and you will find yours. 

For beginners I suggest:

• Remove the leaderboard for the first few rides (I always remove)
  • Take some 20 min and 30 min classes - beginner or low impact
  • Matt Wilpers is fantastic for beginners on technical aspects (his beginner classes are great)
  • 30 minute arms and interval classes are also decent introduction (the arms can give you a break)
  • If you have road bike or tri bike experience then you will dig Matt Wilpers and Power Zone
  • Otherwise test the waters and you will find your favorites quickly. Some will nails on chalk board you. 
  • These days I ride for health and weight loss (the social aspects and virtual high fives I can do without)
  • I do about 75% Matt Wilpers and avoid all the positive rah rah. Not my thing while in zone 4/5
  • My daughter prefers completely different instructors - music, cool factor, and wardrobe drive her choices

I would also suggest holding off on Powerzone and FTP testing for a month or so unless you come from a cycling background. Get to know the bike and instructor favorites first.

I would also suggest holding off on Powerzone and FTP testing for a month or so unless you come from a cycling background. Get to know the bike and instructor favorites first.
I got really pissed at Christine today. Did a 60 minute PZ endurance ride with her. She says we will be in zones 2 and 3 for no more than 4 minutes each at the beginning. Then she tells us right before the last interval that it’s is a 9 minute zone 3 interval. I wanted to punch her. Matt would never do that

I have to like the music.  I do a lot of the classic rock, rock and sometimes country rides.  Sometimes one of the 80's or 90's rides.  Emma Lovewell is my favorite.  Like Olivia D'Amato.  Ally Love.  Agree with others that you'll gravitate towards some and others you'll want to stop the ride - nails on a chalkboard.

I got really pissed at Christine today. Did a 60 minute PZ endurance ride with her. She says we will be in zones 2 and 3 for no more than 4 minutes each at the beginning. Then she tells us right before the last interval that it’s is a 9 minute zone 3 interval. I wanted to punch her. Matt would never do that
LOL - I have to take her classes by mood. She can deliver a great workout though. 

I’ll give you my code for $100 off merch

i get 100 also if you are interested. 
Looks like I screwed up.  It appears I needed to have used the code to buy the bike itself, then we both would have gotten $100 off.  I misunderstood.  :bag:

Bull Dozier said:
Looks like I screwed up.  It appears I needed to have used the code to buy the bike itself, then we both would have gotten $100 off.  I misunderstood.  :bag:
I've heard of them applying it retroactively, I would check

I got a shout out from the instructor last night, it was my 50th ride. It was kind surprising and unexpected. I to go back to the replay to confirm it. It was from Christine who is not my fav instructor and I don't normally pay attention to her while riding b/c she tends to ramble a bit. 

I got a shout out from the instructor last night, it was my 50th ride. It was kind surprising and unexpected. I to go back to the replay to confirm it. It was from Christine who is not my fav instructor and I don't normally pay attention to her while riding b/c she tends to ramble a bit. 
a bit? Did she mention that she won some medals.

a bit? Did she mention that she won some medals.
I dont remember I was sleeping. lol She did go on about her college acting classes again and some monologue that she wrote. 

thats why I had to watch the replay, I was totally not listening to her, and was like "wait...huh, was that my user name??" 

I dont remember I was sleeping. lol She did go on about her college acting classes again and some monologue that she wrote. 

thats why I had to watch the replay, I was totally not listening to her, and was like "wait...huh, was that my user name??" 
My first ride ever was with Tunde and she shouted me out. That was the only live class Ive ever taken

So been hitting the bike pretty regularly and after taking a break late summer/fall and trying to get back to where I was.  Making some good progress but still down a bit.  Going to need to get on a real bike again as well if I want any chance to hit my old personal records. 

With a goal to get back to where I was I was was wondering what folks thought were some of the harder rides.  I think the Jess King Sweat Steady rides are some of the best hard rides.  I also do PZ rides so aware of the PZ max rides but was wondering what others had as their go to for hard rides.  

So been hitting the bike pretty regularly and after taking a break late summer/fall and trying to get back to where I was.  Making some good progress but still down a bit.  Going to need to get on a real bike again as well if I want any chance to hit my old personal records. 

With a goal to get back to where I was I was was wondering what folks thought were some of the harder rides.  I think the Jess King Sweat Steady rides are some of the best hard rides.  I also do PZ rides so aware of the PZ max rides but was wondering what others had as their go to for hard rides.  
I do everything I can to avoid the hard rides. 😁

I find that my best rides are when the instructor has a good playlist so I ignore what the ride says and look at the music.  It seems odd but if the music is good I find myself pushing hard no matter what the ride.

I do everything I can to avoid the hard rides. 😁

I find that my best rides are when the instructor has a good playlist so I ignore what the ride says and look at the music.  It seems odd but if the music is good I find myself pushing hard no matter what the ride.
I agree music matters but there are some instructors/rides that push you harder.  I tend to like the rides with less breaks involved with long intervals.  

Used stacked workouts today for warm up, ride, cool down.  It was nice to have it all lined up.  It may help me to get beyond just bike workouts.

We have joined the home indoor spin bike circuit.  We grabbed a Schwinn IC4 and really enjoy it so far.  

We haven't made the jump to a paid subscription yet for classes, but wondering if there is a free/cheap app that can be used to record each workout to track progress and each ride?

Peloton arrived this morning.  Took a short 20 minute beginner class over lunch.  Felt a lot better than watching some garbage TV.

Just grabbed a random class without paying attention to the music.  Wasn't horrible because I was paying more attention to figuring out the pace and tension, but I can see how important a good music mix would be long term.

Joined the brigade last month with a Myxfitness bike, and the wife and I have been doing something on it every day. Having the large swivel monitor on it is killer because both of us like to do the off-bike stuff. I've never been a big bike fan, but so far it's been pretty fantastic, and being able to work out in your home is a huge bonus.

I've had my Peloton since January 1 and am loving it.  I run a lot in the summer, so the bike gets less use, but the strength and stretching are a really nice bonus as well.

I'm in the #FBGS group.  I assume that this is this group?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had my Peloton since January 1 and am loving it.  I run a lot in the summer, so the bike gets less use, but the strength and stretching are a really nice bonus as well.

I'm in the #FBGS group.  I assume that this is this group?
I started doing the stacks and really like it. 5 minute warm up, 20 minute hiit, 5 minute cool down, 10 minute core or arms. 

Also, the new scenic rides are a nice addition. I did the Denis/PCH ride. It's heavily produced and a bit over the top but still really fun. 

Been pretty steady on it since we got ours earlier this year (other than a few weeks off for a hernia surgery).  Back in to it now though.  I mostly do the FTP classes and programs, because the goal of sticking to the target effort they set based on your own ability works for me.  I had doing a random class and they crank up the tension and pace higher than I can handle, and I have to adapt me effort based on what I think I can handle for the time.  I just want a class designed for me, and FTP does that.

Users who are viewing this thread