What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday (1 Viewer)

Been pretty steady on it since we got ours earlier this year (other than a few weeks off for a hernia surgery).  Back in to it now though.  I mostly do the FTP classes and programs, because the goal of sticking to the target effort they set based on your own ability works for me.  I had doing a random class and they crank up the tension and pace higher than I can handle, and I have to adapt me effort based on what I think I can handle for the time.  I just want a class designed for me, and FTP does that.
When you say FTP, do you mean the Power Zone rides? If not, I suggest you try the PZ rides after you do a FTP test. You only need to do the FTP ride every few months or so to calibrate your meter. PZ rides are great for exactly the reasons you state.

When you say FTP, do you mean the Power Zone rides? If not, I suggest you try the PZ rides after you do a FTP test. You only need to do the FTP ride every few months or so to calibrate your meter. PZ rides are great for exactly the reasons you state.
Sorry, yes, I meant the PZ rides.

Just finished week 2 of the new "Building your Power Zones" program.  I like the idea of the program, but wish you had options of classes to take for each day instead of just the one.  Olivia (mostly her music) is annoying.

Just finished week 2 of the new "Building your Power Zones" program.  I like the idea of the program, but wish you had options of classes to take for each day instead of just the one.  Olivia (mostly her music) is annoying.
There are only 4 PZ instructors, and for a while, there were only 2 (Denis and Matt, now also Olivia and Christine). I'm a big Matt fan, and generally like all of them.

If you really get into it, join the Power Zone Pack. It's a great system, but takes a commitment. I did it a few times in the last year (sessions are about 6 or 8 weeks or so).

https://pzpack.com

Yes - we have three at our gym in my office, there are probably 20 folks who use them regularly and don't pay for anything.
There is one in my apt building - so if I just get a log in (and I would assume the peloton shoes) I would be good to go for $0 doing this?  Reluctant to shell out dollars if I decide it is not for me or become lazy lol.

Thx and sorry if this is redundant but this post best mirrors my situation.

-QG

You are in luck. Seems like Olivia is out as a PZ instructor and Ben is in. Olivia was my least favorite as well

There is one in my apt building - so if I just get a log in (and I would assume the peloton shoes) I would be good to go for $0 doing this?  Reluctant to shell out dollars if I decide it is not for me or become lazy lol.

Thx and sorry if this is redundant but this post best mirrors my situation.

-QG
Yes, create a user account and you should be all set.

Yes, create a user account and you should be all set.
Thanks - now that the pandemic is ebbing a bit (and I am vaxxed up) I am more willing to hazard my building's workout room :unsure:

Been doing a ton of walking during the pandemic (actually did 9 miles yesterday) but I should mix the bike in for better cardio for my old butt.

Are there different shoe types or whatever?  Wish there was a hightops option like my usual walking shoes :lmao:

-QG

:sehorn:   Our household has been thinking about taking the plunge 
Just do it. It’s a great workout.  Not only the bike but the other classes (strength, stretching, yoga, etc).

We all have referral codes.  It gets you $100 off accessories (probably shoes). Admittedly, the current member gets $100 off Peloton apparel.

My referral code is TR3QWM.  If you have a real life friend who is a Peloton member, just ask them for their referral code.

any questions, please ask.  

I gotta say that despite my initial skepticism I love my Peloton.  The rides and instructors keep me motivated in a way that no other exercise program has ever succeeded in doing.  Unfortunately, over my first 5 months, I keep getting hurt. 

The first had nothing to do with bike (DVTs) but kept me from exercising for several weeks.  But in mid-May, I had just finished a 4-week PZ course and retook the FTP test -- was really stoked to improve my original output by a good 35 percent.  Two-rides later, I developed really bad groin and hip pain.  I didn't ride for a few days, watched a proper fitting video, and adjusted my seat accordingly (the seat had been several inches too low, which not surprisingly, can cause groin and hip problems).  Still, it's been over 2 weeks and any time I do more than a 30-minute low-impact ride, the pain really comes back.  The layoff is killing me - both physically and mentally.  

Tl;dr - make sure your bike is fitted properly and I will gladly take tips on rehabbing a cycling-induced groin/hip injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta say that despite my initial skepticism I love my Peloton.  The rides and instructors keep me motivate in a way that no other exercise program has ever succeeded in doing.  Unfortunately, over my first 5 months, I keep getting hurt. 

The first had nothing to do with bike (DVTs) but kept me from exercising for several weeks.  But in mid-May, I had just finished a 4-week PZ course and retook the FTP test -- was really stoked to improve my original output by a good 35 percent.  Two-rides later, I developed really bad groin and hip pain.  I didn't ride for a few days, watched a proper fitting video, and adjusted my seat accordingly (the seat had been several inches too low, which not surprisingly, can cause groin and hip problems).  Still, it's been over 2 weeks and any time I do more than a 30-minute low-impact ride, the pain really comes back.  The layoff is killing me - both physically and mentally.  

Tl;dr - make sure your bike is fitted properly and I will gladly take tips on rehabbing a cycling-induced groin/hip injury.
This is good info (bike fitting) but sorry to hear of your injury. Best wishes for a quick recovery.  Is the video you reference in the Peloton app or elsewhere?  When I got my first road bike I did a professional fitting and it was well worth it. Curious to see how it works with a Peloton although I’m sure the principles are the same. 

Is the video you reference in the Peloton app or elsewhere?  When I got my first road bike I did a professional fitting and it was well worth it. Curious to see how it works with a Peloton although I’m sure the principles are the same. 
When I started googling about injuries, I stumbled onto a reddit thread about peloton bike fitting that linked this (low-tech) video from instructor Christine D'ercole:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=774167669384148&ref=watch_permalink

Apparently, you can also pay someone to come to your house for a professional fitting.  Don't have the link but I'm sure that's floating around somewhere on r/pelotoncycle as well.

This is good info (bike fitting) but sorry to hear of your injury. Best wishes for a quick recovery.  Is the video you reference in the Peloton app or elsewhere?  When I got my first road bike I did a professional fitting and it was well worth it. Curious to see how it works with a Peloton although I’m sure the principles are the same. 
There is a bike fitting video on Peloton.  I followed it and haven't been hurt in 5+ months.  I'm not sure exactly where it is.  Maybe search will help on the bike?  "bike fit" "getting started"?

There is a bike fitting video on Peloton.  I followed it and haven't been hurt in 5+ months.  I'm not sure exactly where it is.  Maybe search will help on the bike?  "bike fit" "getting started"?
One of the right side menu options from the home screen is "Peloton 101" with a bunch of intro videos.  The bike fitting one is only a couple of minutes and definitely worth the time.

Ride #100 on the schedule for me tomorrow.  

We finally took the plunge and so far I am really impressed.  I moved from the 20 minute beginner classes after taking 3 (and finishing in the top 5%-10%) to the 30 minute advanced beginner.  I think I will be here for a week or so to get more comfortable with everything before moving up to "Real" classes.

Would the Building your Power Zone classes be the best next step for me or is it too early in my journey?

We finally took the plunge and so far I am really impressed.  I moved from the 20 minute beginner classes after taking 3 (and finishing in the top 5%-10%) to the 30 minute advanced beginner.  I think I will be here for a week or so to get more comfortable with everything before moving up to "Real" classes.

Would the Building your Power Zone classes be the best next step for me or is it too early in my journey?
I just started earlier this year and have been doing the 30 minute classes 3 times a week.  I don't know what you mean by real classes and I have no idea what the Building your Power Zone classes are.

I just started earlier this year and have been doing the 30 minute classes 3 times a week.  I don't know what you mean by real classes and I have no idea what the Building your Power Zone classes are.
By “real” I was just referring to anything without “beginner” in the title. Just a bad joke. 

By “real” I was just referring to anything without “beginner” in the title. Just a bad joke. 
Power Zone classes are a legit set of classes. You can train with this format (ride in zones, from "easiest" endurance rides, to "moderate" regular PZ rides, to "hard" PZ Max rides). These are great training as it's you against yourself. You really need to do an FTP test before you do these to get a sense of your leveling and your improvement. 

Mix it up with the regular, non-PZ classes for variety. Add in a HIIT class here and there, try a different instructor. Mix in a class with weights. This is all part of the secret sauce. The variety is off the charts, and that keeps interest up.

That said, I am flirting with a little burnout. I've been riding a stationary bike since 2004, and a Peloton since 2018. I love it, and I need to ride to manage my weight, but I'm getting a little bored. I think I need to integrate "just rides" which are instructor-less. And I'll ride pretty hard but maybe watch an episode or two of PTI at the same time.

Still, wouldn't trade it for anything. Love it.

The Flying Turtle said:

I recommend the "Discovering Your Power Zone" program first.  When I first got my Peloton I found that I enjoyed the Power Zone classes as it tells you exactly how hard you should be working, which was tough for me to gage at first, not knowing how much energy I'd have to keep up with a 30-60 minute class.  Discovering your power zones will definitely help you build your power zones while going through it, and has a little bit more beginner instruction.  Just my .02.

⚡DEADHEAD⚡ said:
Power Zone classes are a legit set of classes. You can train with this format (ride in zones, from "easiest" endurance rides, to "moderate" regular PZ rides, to "hard" PZ Max rides). These are great training as it's you against yourself. You really need to do an FTP test before you do these to get a sense of your leveling and your improvement. 

Mix it up with the regular, non-PZ classes for variety. Add in a HIIT class here and there, try a different instructor. Mix in a class with weights. This is all part of the secret sauce. The variety is off the charts, and that keeps interest up.

That said, I am flirting with a little burnout. I've been riding a stationary bike since 2004, and a Peloton since 2018. I love it, and I need to ride to manage my weight, but I'm getting a little bored. I think I need to integrate "just rides" which are instructor-less. And I'll ride pretty hard but maybe watch an episode or two of PTI at the same time.

Still, wouldn't trade it for anything. Love it.

I just passed my 2-year Peloton mark. I'm definitely feeling burned out, but I haven't found anything else where I can accomplish my exercise goals in only 30 minutes. I absolutely hate exercising with all my being, but I can't argue with the results I get from Peloton.

I've seen rumors that Peloton is working on a rowing machine. Anyone else see that? I'd be intrigued by that. 

Finally thinking of making the jump.

Can you give me the scoop for what's best now with Peloton? Specifically, what model and what accessories or plans?

I think we definitely want to be able to do more than just the bike riding as I know they have the other exercises available. 

Thanks for the help.

Joe Bryant said:

Can you give me the scoop for what's best now with Peloton? Specifically, what model and what accessories or plans?

I think we definitely want to be able to do more than just the bike riding as I know they have the other exercises available. 

Thanks for the help.
If you buy the bike, you pay one standard monthly fee ($39) and it includes all classes (strength, stretch, yoga, outdoor classes (running/walking), etc.)

There is the regular bike and the bike+.

i have the regular bike, and it’s perfect for me.  The bike plus has a larger screen, it rotates around, better sound system, etc.  i already have a TV in my basement that i loaded the peloton app on my Roku so i do all strength workouts through that (no need to rotate the bike screen around.)

Highly recommend the Peloton.  

Joe Bryant said:

Thanks for the help.
If you want, you can use a current member’s referral code (mine is UJS6TX) and you get $100 off accessories (usually use for shoes) and the current gets $100 off clothes from Peloton.  It’s a no lose option for you to get the shoes for free.

In terms of other accessories, we use towels we got at Costco. We bought a generic mat to put under the bike as there is a lot of sweating occurring. We use water bottles we had in the house.  We got dumbbells from a sporting goods store. All of these things are sold by Peloton at a big markup and definitely don’t think they are necessary to get at Peloton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Bryant said:

Thanks for the help.

We got the bike two years ago, before the newest one came out. That version of the bike is perfectly fine for me. I'm in my late 40s and my exercise goal is to burn just enough calories to offset the occasional french fries and cookies, so I'm not looking to audition for a Marvel movie or anything like that. My regimen is one 30-minute ride on weekdays, and a 15-minute ride on weekend days. I only do the bike riding, so I can't speak to the other exercises, but, for me, the biking absolutely justifies the cost of the bike and content subscription. I am by no means a health nut. I just want to look decent for my wife, try to avoid health problems from sitting on my butt, and be able to tell my doctor at my annual checkup that I exercise every day without it being a lie. 

I recommend the "Discovering Your Power Zone" program first.  When I first got my Peloton I found that I enjoyed the Power Zone classes as it tells you exactly how hard you should be working, which was tough for me to gage at first, not knowing how much energy I'd have to keep up with a 30-60 minute class.  Discovering your power zones will definitely help you build your power zones while going through it, and has a little bit more beginner instruction.  Just my .02.
I Just finished the 5 week course, thank you for the recommendation. I retook the test and increased my FTP by 25 points. 
I know it isn’t a competition, so I just laugh when Matt occasionally says his zone numbers and his zone 3 is my zone 5 or 6. 

I Just finished the 5 week course, thank you for the recommendation. I retook the test and increased my FTP by 25 points. 
I know it isn’t a competition, so I just laugh when Matt occasionally says his zone numbers and his zone 3 is my zone 5 or 6. 
Glad you liked it and glad it worked out.  I'm actually totally off power zone rides, as once I did a ride or two based only on the playlist, I can't go back.  I like the structure of power zone definitely, but I can't ride for 45 minutes and only get three songs I enjoy.  Listening to a 90s rock playlist with almost all classics is far more enjoyable and what gets be getting back on most days.

Glad you liked it and glad it worked out.  I'm actually totally off power zone rides, as once I did a ride or two based only on the playlist, I can't go back.  I like the structure of power zone definitely, but I can't ride for 45 minutes and only get three songs I enjoy.  Listening to a 90s rock playlist with almost all classics is far more enjoyable and what gets be getting back on most days.
This is among the reasons I do every Emma Lovewell ride. Dennis Morton too, though I’m less attracted to him.

This is among the reasons I do every Emma Lovewell ride. Dennis Morton too, though I’m less attracted to him.
Dennis is by far the best instructor I think.  I don't always dig his music choices though.  A lot good, some weird.

When I had some free time I actually went back through older classes and added a bunch to my queue based on playlists.  Then once a week, I go through the new ones and add anything in the last week with a good playlist.  I now have a backlog I'll never catch up on and I don't have to worry about finding a ride when I jump on the bike.  Just hit one from my saved list and off I go.

Mostly Emma, but there will be some Christine (I don't mind her until she starts talking about her competitive cycling ("I'm not bragging, I'm just saying..."), Hannah, Robin, Kendall is a smoke show so I'll take any of her classes that are even borderline.  The only one I really don't enjoy is Jenn Sherman, and it killed me that she did the Pearl Jam ride during their music experience week.

Dennis is by far the best instructor I think.  I don't always dig his music choices though.  A lot good, some weird.

When I had some free time I actually went back through older classes and added a bunch to my queue based on playlists.  Then once a week, I go through the new ones and add anything in the last week with a good playlist.  I now have a backlog I'll never catch up on and I don't have to worry about finding a ride when I jump on the bike.  Just hit one from my saved list and off I go.

Mostly Emma, but there will be some Christine (I don't mind her until she starts talking about her competitive cycling ("I'm not bragging, I'm just saying..."), Hannah, Robin, Kendall is a smoke show so I'll take any of her classes that are even borderline.  The only one I really don't enjoy is Jenn Sherman, and it killed me that she did the Pearl Jam ride during their music experience week.
No Olivia? Alex?

No Olivia? Alex?
Olivia drives me nuts, and probably unfairly.  One of the first rides I took with her, she was wearing a sports bra that was clearly too small.  She spent the entire ride constantly fiddling with it.  It was very distracting and got annoying by the end of the ride.  I can't take her class without being reminded.  Plus, I haven't seen a lot of playlists with my type of music that she does.  There are a couple on my monster queue, so I'll get to her again eventually, but she is not in high rotation.

Alex does a lot of modern hip hop from what I can see.  I haven't seen any old school hip hop classes in my glancing.  I should probably take at least one class from him just to check him out, but I haven't yet.

Matt Wilpers deserves some love. He's a bit technical, but he's got knowledge, isn't arrogant about his ability, and seems down to earth. And he's the PZ master too, so there's that.

I don't like it when instructors don't ride along unless it's an optional stop. Alex does it in spades.

Emma's Red Hot Chili Peppers ride is a goodie. I've done it three times I think. Challenging too.

Olivia drives me nuts, and probably unfairly.  One of the first rides I took with her, she was wearing a sports bra that was clearly too small.  She spent the entire ride constantly fiddling with it.  It was very distracting and got annoying by the end of the ride.  I can't take her class without being reminded.  Plus, I haven't seen a lot of playlists with my type of music that she does.  There are a couple on my monster queue, so I'll get to her again eventually, but she is not in high rotation.

Alex does a lot of modern hip hop from what I can see.  I haven't seen any old school hip hop classes in my glancing.  I should probably take at least one class from him just to check him out, but I haven't yet.
I can not stand Olivia because all she wears is red lipstick and that bothers me. I’ll take her classes from time to time because she is a PZ instructor but I tend to just stare at her stomach. Jess King drives me nuts as well. Can’t really say why but she does. 

Matt Wilpers deserves some love. He's a bit technical, but he's got knowledge, isn't arrogant about his ability, and seems down to earth. And he's the PZ master too, so there's that.

I don't like it when instructors don't ride along unless it's an optional stop. Alex does it in spades.

Emma's Red Hot Chili Peppers ride is a goodie. I've done it three times I think. Challenging too.
Matt is my favorite. I would say 90% of my rides are with him. 

I can not stand Olivia because all she wears is red lipstick and that bothers me. I’ll take her classes from time to time because she is a PZ instructor but I tend to just stare at her stomach. Jess King drives me nuts as well. Can’t really say why but she does. 
I don't mind her personality, but her voice is a little annoying.

Anybody get the Tread (treadmill) that was re-released in August for $2,500?

Looking at this versus one from Costco (excellent, easy return policy in the future if we encounter problems).

Thoughts?

We bought our second Peloton last month.  Don't notice anything different about the new generation... good as ever.

Anybody get the Tread (treadmill) that was re-released in August for $2,500?

Looking at this versus one from Costco (excellent, easy return policy in the future if we encounter problems).

Thoughts?

I don't know anyone with a tread... almost everyone I know has a peloton.

Haven't heard one way or the other on the Tread.

I don't know anyone with a tread... almost everyone I know has a peloton.

Haven't heard one way or the other on the Tread.
I appreciate the reply.

I also don't know a single person with a Peloton Tread, but know plenty of people with their bikes.

Anyone else?

Okay, so, I probably screwed up this morning. I was answering overnight work emails (usually my least favorite part of the day which I was I just get it over with but I'm in a bad mood while doing it) and my wife approaches me with a grin saying she found something for her birthday.* She tells me it'll benefit both of us. I immediately think, "it's some sex thing (obviously that's fine) or, wait, watch it be some really expensive thing her sister has that we'll never use." Sure enough, it's the latter. And I make the mistake of scoffing and I say something like, "no, that's crazy expensive and I have no confidence in us that we'll ever use it."

Obviously I immediately regretted the response but I couldn't take it back and she complains that I'm not being supportive of her efforts to be healthier. I try to rationalize with her and point out that we have multiple gym memberships (yes, multiple, by her choosing - that she doesn't use and I use sometimes but not enough to justify two) as well as actual bikes and we live in an area that has some of the best biking/running trails in the country. These points go over like lead bricks.

So, I have pretty much deduced that I need to go home and have a better conversation about this peloton. My wife, who I love dearly, does have a history of requesting relatively pricey things for her birthday/Christmas that don't get a lot of use (e.g. fancy sewing machine, fancy KitchenAid mixing bowl, a previous treadmill) and, unfortunately, I have little to no faith that this bike will be regularly used by either of us and when I ask to cancel the monthly subscription it'll be ridden the next day or two to prove me wrong and then it'll stop again and the cycle (ha!) continues. And I'm just going to be mad that basically a few billable increments per month are a complete waste of time for me.

So, with the above in mind, I did some homework here at work and an Echelon EX3 seems like a happy medium where it's about 1/2 the price and the yearly membership is about the same as a one month to peloton. Anybody have experience with this particular or, on this topic, advice in general? :bag:

*I'd note that: 1) We generally don't do birthday gifts - or, at least, we don't do material things; and 2) We're already going on a family trip with her family that isn't cheap (and is a trip that she knows is generally unfun for me) but is what she wanted to do for her birthday. Just pointing this out so it doesn't sound like I'm some sort of an *******.

Last edited:
Buy her a Peloton.

It's the cheapest way out of your predicament.
But, seriously, my predicament will only continue if that thing turns into a clothes' hanger before the end of the year.
Sure it will. And you know and we all know that's what is going to happen. But in marriage, as you know, it doesn't matter. As husbands we just go with it because in the long run it's just easier to buy whatever the want-of-the-day is.

Logic will never work in this situation. We can't win.

Buy her a Peloton.

But, seriously, my predicament will only continue if that thing turns into a clothes' hanger before the end of the year.
Sure it will. And you know and we all know that's what is going to happen. But in marriage, as you know, it doesn't matter. As husbands we just go with it because in the long run it's just easier to buy whatever the want-of-the-day is.

Logic will never work in this situation. We can't win.
I guess as the late, great Ralphie May once said, "fellas, you can be right... or you can be happy."

Buy her a Peloton.

It's so much easier to jump on the Peloton than go to the gym for someone with a crazy busy schedule (which you probably have if you have kids), and the metrics/social aspects of the Peloton might be more likely to grab her attention than a cheaper alternative. Everyone is different, obviously, but the Peloton has been a game changing experience for me.

Buy her a Peloton.

It's so much easier to jump on the Peloton than go to the gym for someone with a crazy busy schedule (which you probably have if you have kids), and the metrics/social aspects of the Peloton might be more likely to grab her attention than a cheaper alternative. Everyone is different, obviously, but the Peloton has been a game changing experience for me.
I appreciate the response. Can you kindly explain what you mean in bold?

Users who are viewing this thread