Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Bought my wife a Peloton for her birthday

23 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Been pretty steady on it since we got ours earlier this year (other than a few weeks off for a hernia surgery).  Back in to it now though.  I mostly do the FTP classes and programs, because the goal of sticking to the target effort they set based on your own ability works for me.  I had doing a random class and they crank up the tension and pace higher than I can handle, and I have to adapt me effort based on what I think I can handle for the time.  I just want a class designed for me, and FTP does that.

When you say FTP, do you mean the Power Zone rides? If not, I suggest you try the PZ rides after you do a FTP test. You only need to do the FTP ride every few months or so to calibrate your meter. PZ rides are great for exactly the reasons you state.

On 5/29/2021 at 8:11 AM, DEADHEAD said:

When you say FTP, do you mean the Power Zone rides? If not, I suggest you try the PZ rides after you do a FTP test. You only need to do the FTP ride every few months or so to calibrate your meter. PZ rides are great for exactly the reasons you state.

Sorry, yes, I meant the PZ rides.

Just finished week 2 of the new "Building your Power Zones" program.  I like the idea of the program, but wish you had options of classes to take for each day instead of just the one.  Olivia (mostly her music) is annoying.

43 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Just finished week 2 of the new "Building your Power Zones" program.  I like the idea of the program, but wish you had options of classes to take for each day instead of just the one.  Olivia (mostly her music) is annoying.

There are only 4 PZ instructors, and for a while, there were only 2 (Denis and Matt, now also Olivia and Christine). I'm a big Matt fan, and generally like all of them.

If you really get into it, join the Power Zone Pack. It's a great system, but takes a commitment. I did it a few times in the last year (sessions are about 6 or 8 weeks or so).

https://pzpack.com

• Thanks 1

On 1/24/2020 at 10:37 AM, Nigel said:

Yes - we have three at our gym in my office, there are probably 20 folks who use them regularly and don't pay for anything.

There is one in my apt building - so if I just get a log in (and I would assume the peloton shoes) I would be good to go for $0 doing this?  Reluctant to shell out dollars if I decide it is not for me or become lazy lol.

Thx and sorry if this is redundant but this post best mirrors my situation.

-QG

2 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

You are in luck. Seems like Olivia is out as a PZ instructor and Ben is in. Olivia was my least favorite as well

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, QuizGuy66 said:

There is one in my apt building - so if I just get a log in (and I would assume the peloton shoes) I would be good to go for $0 doing this?  Reluctant to shell out dollars if I decide it is not for me or become lazy lol.

Thx and sorry if this is redundant but this post best mirrors my situation.

-QG

Yes, create a user account and you should be all set.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Yes, create a user account and you should be all set.

Thanks - now that the pandemic is ebbing a bit (and I am vaxxed up) I am more willing to hazard my building's workout room :unsure:

Been doing a ton of walking during the pandemic (actually did 9 miles yesterday) but I should mix the bike in for better cardio for my old butt.

Are there different shoe types or whatever?  Wish there was a hightops option like my usual walking shoes :lmao:

-QG

5 hours ago, dnurk said:

:sehorn:   Our household has been thinking about taking the plunge 

Just do it. It’s a great workout.  Not only the bike but the other classes (strength, stretching, yoga, etc).

We all have referral codes.  It gets you $100 off accessories (probably shoes). Admittedly, the current member gets $100 off Peloton apparel.

My referral code is TR3QWM.  If you have a real life friend who is a Peloton member, just ask them for their referral code.

any questions, please ask.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I gotta say that despite my initial skepticism I love my Peloton.  The rides and instructors keep me motivated in a way that no other exercise program has ever succeeded in doing.  Unfortunately, over my first 5 months, I keep getting hurt. 

The first had nothing to do with bike (DVTs) but kept me from exercising for several weeks.  But in mid-May, I had just finished a 4-week PZ course and retook the FTP test -- was really stoked to improve my original output by a good 35 percent.  Two-rides later, I developed really bad groin and hip pain.  I didn't ride for a few days, watched a proper fitting video, and adjusted my seat accordingly (the seat had been several inches too low, which not surprisingly, can cause groin and hip problems).  Still, it's been over 2 weeks and any time I do more than a 30-minute low-impact ride, the pain really comes back.  The layoff is killing me - both physically and mentally.  

Tl;dr - make sure your bike is fitted properly and I will gladly take tips on rehabbing a cycling-induced groin/hip injury.

Edited by scorchy

39 minutes ago, scorchy said:

I gotta say that despite my initial skepticism I love my Peloton.  The rides and instructors keep me motivate in a way that no other exercise program has ever succeeded in doing.  Unfortunately, over my first 5 months, I keep getting hurt. 

The first had nothing to do with bike (DVTs) but kept me from exercising for several weeks.  But in mid-May, I had just finished a 4-week PZ course and retook the FTP test -- was really stoked to improve my original output by a good 35 percent.  Two-rides later, I developed really bad groin and hip pain.  I didn't ride for a few days, watched a proper fitting video, and adjusted my seat accordingly (the seat had been several inches too low, which not surprisingly, can cause groin and hip problems).  Still, it's been over 2 weeks and any time I do more than a 30-minute low-impact ride, the pain really comes back.  The layoff is killing me - both physically and mentally.  

Tl;dr - make sure your bike is fitted properly and I will gladly take tips on rehabbing a cycling-induced groin/hip injury.

This is good info (bike fitting) but sorry to hear of your injury. Best wishes for a quick recovery.  Is the video you reference in the Peloton app or elsewhere?  When I got my first road bike I did a professional fitting and it was well worth it. Curious to see how it works with a Peloton although I’m sure the principles are the same. 

3 minutes ago, dnurk said:

Is the video you reference in the Peloton app or elsewhere?  When I got my first road bike I did a professional fitting and it was well worth it. Curious to see how it works with a Peloton although I’m sure the principles are the same. 

When I started googling about injuries, I stumbled onto a reddit thread about peloton bike fitting that linked this (low-tech) video from instructor Christine D'ercole:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=774167669384148&ref=watch_permalink

Apparently, you can also pay someone to come to your house for a professional fitting.  Don't have the link but I'm sure that's floating around somewhere on r/pelotoncycle as well.

2 hours ago, dnurk said:

This is good info (bike fitting) but sorry to hear of your injury. Best wishes for a quick recovery.  Is the video you reference in the Peloton app or elsewhere?  When I got my first road bike I did a professional fitting and it was well worth it. Curious to see how it works with a Peloton although I’m sure the principles are the same. 

There is a bike fitting video on Peloton.  I followed it and haven't been hurt in 5+ months.  I'm not sure exactly where it is.  Maybe search will help on the bike?  "bike fit" "getting started"?

56 minutes ago, SteelCurtain said:

There is a bike fitting video on Peloton.  I followed it and haven't been hurt in 5+ months.  I'm not sure exactly where it is.  Maybe search will help on the bike?  "bike fit" "getting started"?

One of the right side menu options from the home screen is "Peloton 101" with a bunch of intro videos.  The bike fitting one is only a couple of minutes and definitely worth the time.

Ride #100 on the schedule for me tomorrow.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

We finally took the plunge and so far I am really impressed.  I moved from the 20 minute beginner classes after taking 3 (and finishing in the top 5%-10%) to the 30 minute advanced beginner.  I think I will be here for a week or so to get more comfortable with everything before moving up to "Real" classes.

Would the Building your Power Zone classes be the best next step for me or is it too early in my journey?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Flying Turtle said:

We finally took the plunge and so far I am really impressed.  I moved from the 20 minute beginner classes after taking 3 (and finishing in the top 5%-10%) to the 30 minute advanced beginner.  I think I will be here for a week or so to get more comfortable with everything before moving up to "Real" classes.

Would the Building your Power Zone classes be the best next step for me or is it too early in my journey?

I just started earlier this year and have been doing the 30 minute classes 3 times a week.  I don't know what you mean by real classes and I have no idea what the Building your Power Zone classes are.

30 minutes ago, Gilroy34 said:

I just started earlier this year and have been doing the 30 minute classes 3 times a week.  I don't know what you mean by real classes and I have no idea what the Building your Power Zone classes are.

By “real” I was just referring to anything without “beginner” in the title. Just a bad joke. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Flying Turtle said:

By “real” I was just referring to anything without “beginner” in the title. Just a bad joke. 

Power Zone classes are a legit set of classes. You can train with this format (ride in zones, from "easiest" endurance rides, to "moderate" regular PZ rides, to "hard" PZ Max rides). These are great training as it's you against yourself. You really need to do an FTP test before you do these to get a sense of your leveling and your improvement. 

Mix it up with the regular, non-PZ classes for variety. Add in a HIIT class here and there, try a different instructor. Mix in a class with weights. This is all part of the secret sauce. The variety is off the charts, and that keeps interest up.

That said, I am flirting with a little burnout. I've been riding a stationary bike since 2004, and a Peloton since 2018. I love it, and I need to ride to manage my weight, but I'm getting a little bored. I think I need to integrate "just rides" which are instructor-less. And I'll ride pretty hard but maybe watch an episode or two of PTI at the same time.

Still, wouldn't trade it for anything. Love it.

21 hours ago, The Flying Turtle said:

I recommend the "Discovering Your Power Zone" program first.  When I first got my Peloton I found that I enjoyed the Power Zone classes as it tells you exactly how hard you should be working, which was tough for me to gage at first, not knowing how much energy I'd have to keep up with a 30-60 minute class.  Discovering your power zones will definitely help you build your power zones while going through it, and has a little bit more beginner instruction.  Just my .02.

18 hours ago, DEADHEAD said:

Power Zone classes are a legit set of classes. You can train with this format (ride in zones, from "easiest" endurance rides, to "moderate" regular PZ rides, to "hard" PZ Max rides). These are great training as it's you against yourself. You really need to do an FTP test before you do these to get a sense of your leveling and your improvement. 

Mix it up with the regular, non-PZ classes for variety. Add in a HIIT class here and there, try a different instructor. Mix in a class with weights. This is all part of the secret sauce. The variety is off the charts, and that keeps interest up.

That said, I am flirting with a little burnout. I've been riding a stationary bike since 2004, and a Peloton since 2018. I love it, and I need to ride to manage my weight, but I'm getting a little bored. I think I need to integrate "just rides" which are instructor-less. And I'll ride pretty hard but maybe watch an episode or two of PTI at the same time.

Still, wouldn't trade it for anything. Love it.

I just passed my 2-year Peloton mark. I'm definitely feeling burned out, but I haven't found anything else where I can accomplish my exercise goals in only 30 minutes. I absolutely hate exercising with all my being, but I can't argue with the results I get from Peloton.

I've seen rumors that Peloton is working on a rowing machine. Anyone else see that? I'd be intrigued by that.