What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Cobra Kai" -- The Karate Kid Series sequel (1 Viewer)

Makes it worse

On the positive side I look way better in my 50s than he did at 48. Heck Macchio looks pretty good for 60. Good example of how we have changed as a people health wise.
Okay, looking again my math may be wrong. I think he was 51. Still, the gulf between how old he looked and how young Macchio looks is pretty stark. Also, not surprisingly, most of the cast of kids in the first Karate Kid (Macchio, Shue and others) were in their 20s, with Zabka being the only teenager at 18.

By the way, for those who have finished season 4, you may recall a flashback scene to the cafeteria where there is a confrontation between Daniel and Johnny. When I saw the flashback, I remember thinking that I didn’t remember that part, but chalked it up to the passage of time. Well I just found this in the IMDB trivia section:

The script includes two confrontations between Daniel and Johnny which were eventually cut from the film. The first takes place in the school cafeteria just after Daniel has bought lunch for Ali. Seeing them about to take a seat, Johnny hurries over just in time to sneak a piece of blueberry pie onto Daniel's chair. Standing up with his pants covered in blueberries, Daniel is equally embarrassed and livid. In a brave act of revenge, Daniel smears what is left of the pie across Johnny's shirt and mayhem ensues. A photo from this scene can be found on the back of the novelisation. The other scene occurs later in the film and also takes place at school. Coming up from a drink at the fountain, Daniel finds himself face to face with Johnny and stands up for himself once again by questioning the practices of the Cobra Kai.

By the way, for those who have finished season 4, you may recall a flashback scene to the cafeteria where there is a confrontation between Daniel and Johnny. When I saw the flashback, I remember thinking that I didn’t remember that part, but chalked it up to the passage of time. Well I just found this in the IMDB trivia section:

The script includes two confrontations between Daniel and Johnny which were eventually cut from the film. The first takes place in the school cafeteria just after Daniel has bought lunch for Ali. Seeing them about to take a seat, Johnny hurries over just in time to sneak a piece of blueberry pie onto Daniel's chair. Standing up with his pants covered in blueberries, Daniel is equally embarrassed and livid. In a brave act of revenge, Daniel smears what is left of the pie across Johnny's shirt and mayhem ensues. A photo from this scene can be found on the back of the novelisation. The other scene occurs later in the film and also takes place at school. Coming up from a drink at the fountain, Daniel finds himself face to face with Johnny and stands up for himself once again by questioning the practices of the Cobra Kai.
I've always had a memory of this, don't remember ever reading the novelization, but I guess I either did or saw that picture back in the day and it stuck with me. 

I figured it was a deleted scene. 

The first three films were released as a package in 4K in early December.

That scene is in the "Extras". 

bigbottom said:

Thanks for this.  I also didn't "remember" Daniel shoving the pie into Johnny in the movie.  No I know why.

Damn, I am older than that and I thought he was ancient when I first saw KK.
I think people generally age a little better now thanks to better health and frequent sunscreen use. Plus Morita’s substance abuse issues I’m sure didn’t help him.

Finally caught up on S4. Two thoughts:

• The fact that the characters keep referencing it doesn't change the fact that it's ####ing weird how obsessed all these adults are with teenagers doing karate. It made some sense in S1 where both Johnny and Daniel are living in a state of arrested development. But now we see the same dynamic in Kreese, Silver and apparently next season will involve Daniel flying Chozen over from Okinawa just to train a bunch of kids. Like, don't these people have anything better to do with their lives?
  • I've come to appreciate Kyler, the Asian bully, as one of my favorite characters. I started off absolutely hating him, but then I realized that was the genius of his portrayal. His race notwithstanding, the dude is the poster child for Mediocre White Guy syndrome. He is always a total jagoff and always supremely confident, despite the fact that he has gotten his butt kicked by pretty much every character on the show. And man, is it enjoyable seeing him get his comeuppance over and over again

• The fact that the characters keep referencing it doesn't change the fact that it's ####ing weird how obsessed all these adults are with teenagers doing karate. It made some sense in S1 where both Johnny and Daniel are living in a state of arrested development. But now we see the same dynamic in Kreese, Silver and apparently next season will involve Daniel flying Chozen over from Okinawa just to train a bunch of kids. Like, don't these people have anything better to do with their lives?
  • I've come to appreciate Kyler, the Asian bully, as one of my favorite characters. I started off absolutely hating him, but then I realized that was the genius of his portrayal. His race notwithstanding, the dude is the poster child for Mediocre White Guy syndrome. He is always a total jagoff and always supremely confident, despite the fact that he has gotten his butt kicked by pretty much every character on the show. And man, is it enjoyable seeing him get his comeuppance over and over again
Bro you're obviously not from the San Fernando Valley

Bro you're obviously not from the San Fernando Valley

I am.  In fact, I'm from the WEST Valley.  In further fact, I had a buddy who lived in the original apartment building from the first Karate Kid movie when he was in college.  My GF hates that I'm from there because I constantly "fact check" the show and tell her what does and doesn't exist on it.  And, in real life, no one from the valley cared at all about Karate.  EVER. 

I am.  In fact, I'm from the WEST Valley.  In further fact, I had a buddy who lived in the original apartment building from the first Karate Kid movie when he was in college.  My GF hates that I'm from there because I constantly "fact check" the show and tell her what does and doesn't exist on it.  And, in real life, no one from the valley cared at all about Karate.  EVER. 

Did The Bad News Bears take place where Karate Kid does? I have read that they are close, but then I have also read that they are dozens of miles apart. 

I didn’t back read this whole thread, but what’s needed to watch this series from the start? Do I need both a YouTube and a Netflix subscription? 

The bolded is indeed weird until you get some exposure to dad coaches in youth sports. And I agree with your take on Kyler. So good. Maybe there will be a Cobra Kai reboot in 25 years with Kyler assuming the Johnny Lawrence role in search of redemption. 

I think he was being sarcastic 

The show actually makes fun of that.  

The bolded is indeed weird until you get some exposure to dad coaches in youth sports. And I agree with your take on Kyler. So good. Maybe there will be a Cobra Kai reboot in 25 years with Kyler assuming the Johnny Lawrence role in search of redemption. 

It's weird, because I seem to get into an argument with myself about this.  In a real show where I cared about the characters and all, I might be upset about the reductive way the show treats the differences in the philosophy and karate of our protagonists.  In Season 4, the difference between "Eagle Fang Karate" and "Miyagi Do Karate" is essentially boiled down to "offensive/proactive karate" and "defensive/reactive karate" when it seems like the point of the possible superiority of "Miyagi Do" is that it gave Daniel a perspective and philosophical tools that were valuable in life beyond just winning karate tournaments (and would thus have a lot to offer characters like Johnny, Robby, and Tory).  In that conception, I would expect Chosun in Season 5 to be like "why the #### would I care about a Karate tournament?"

But I'm not sure how fun that show would be.  I think that's probably some kind of end game for the show.  Where karate helps at least Johnny and Robby achieve some type of balance and contentment in life, but in the meantime,  the show needs to have conflict.  Which it wouldn't have if Daniel just quietly taught his brand of karate to those who wanted and needed it and didn't care about competing in tournaments.

It's weird, because I seem to get into an argument with myself about this.  In a real show where I cared about the characters and all, I might be upset about the reductive way the show treats the differences in the philosophy and karate of our protagonists.  In Season 4, the difference between "Eagle Fang Karate" and "Miyagi Do Karate" is essentially boiled down to "offensive/proactive karate" and "defensive/reactive karate" when it seems like the point of the possible superiority of "Miyagi Do" is that it gave Daniel a perspective and philosophical tools that were valuable in life beyond just winning karate tournaments (and would thus have a lot to offer characters like Johnny, Robby, and Tory).  In that conception, I would expect Chosun in Season 5 to be like "why the #### would I care about a Karate tournament?"

But I'm not sure how fun that show would be.  I think that's probably some kind of end game for the show.  Where karate helps at least Johnny and Robby achieve some type of balance and contentment in life, but in the meantime,  the show needs to have conflict.  Which it wouldn't have if Daniel just quietly taught his brand of karate to those who wanted and needed it and didn't care about competing in tournaments.
QUIET!!!

Caught the finale of season 4 last night.  I tell my wife this show is 80% campy and dumb and 20% good and the 20% makes up for it enough to be watchable.   

And I did really like the season finale.   

Still Hawk for me. Kyler was even scared of him in Season 3 after he beat down that fat kid. But I do appreciate a good ####### in a show. Prefer Hawk being the bad guy and getting revenge on classmates who made fun of him. 

Show is going to need another legitimate bad guy on the teenager side soon. Kind of hoping Miguel turns bad again after meeting his dad. 

I never saw the Hilary Swank Karate Kid movie, but they've totally got to pull her in, right? Is "The Next Karate Kid" considered canon in the Karate Kid Cinematic Universe?

I never saw the Hilary Swank Karate Kid movie, but they've totally got to pull her in, right? Is "The Next Karate Kid" considered canon in the Karate Kid Cinematic Universe?
Daniel is possessive of Mr. Miyagi and his belief in the sacredness of their relationship. It would be an interesting plot line to have him consumed with jealous rage with her arrival.

Daniel is possessive of Mr. Miyagi and his belief in the sacredness of their relationship. It would be an interesting plot line to have him consumed with jealous rage with her arrival.
Fear and hatred lead to the darkside....  S10 is Daniel joining with Cobra Kai to battle Hilary - the new teacher of Miyagi-Do karate! 

• Smile
Reactions: jwb

Users who are viewing this thread