What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Bennett - False Arrest? (1 Viewer)

big difference between media that decides what facts they want to report and what spin they can report them, and a website that puts out facts at face value. 

if you're denying a liberal media exists then you're a lost cause
Not what I'm saying at all.  It's just there's a flip side to what those of you who throw that term around constantly.  There's very much a double standard by those folks.  They typically follow a similar style of news source.  I'd like to know what news source spider, and possibly yourself, follows that puts out facts at face value.  I'm a liberal by the literal meaning.  That's something many don't even know.  I'm not aligned with some ridiculous political ideology.  I mainly follow 2 news sources that take a centrist point of view and actually do provide facts.

It's just a stupid term usually used by those with limited brain capacity.

We can see in the video that there is no gun in the back of Bennett's head and there is no excessive force being used.

That makes it 0-2 on Bennett's "truth meter".

Add that to the fact that Bennett never even filed a complaint with the police department, and it's pretty clear what Bennett is doing here.
The other problem is that we know Bennett has an agenda and is inherently untrustworthy. He's a proven racist so any claims like this are automatically suspect. It's tough to give someone the benefit of the doubt when they have a pattern of behaving in such an overtly offensive and appalling manner. 

:lmao:  at a black person being racist.  I'm as white as they come, and if you think that is possible then you need a history lesson.  Racism exists because of white people.  That's factual information.

"Bennett has an agenda and is inherently untrustworthy"........can someone unpack this for me.

Wow.  Just wow.

I mean wow.

i can't even be mad because that's amazing.

WOW

Last edited by a moderator:
We can see in the video that there is no gun in the back of Bennett's head and there is no excessive force being used.

That makes it 0-2 on Bennett's "truth meter".

Add that to the fact that Bennett never even filed a complaint with the police department, and it's pretty clear what Bennett is doing here.
The bodycam from the AO will surely clear this all up then.

:lmao:  at a black person being racist.  I'm as white as they come, and if you think that is possible then you need a history lesson.  Racism exists because of white people.  That's factual information.

"Bennett has an agenda and is inherently untrustworthy"........can someone unpack this for me.
Hello fellow White person, I agree completely!

ESPN and the NFL are already portraying this con artist as a hero.

Guess who's getting the Arthur Ashe award next year!
That is what the media does.  It takes sides before the facts are known.  These racial cases the anti-cop narrative is put out there as fact and they spend the next year walking it back, but that narrative is accepted by many people and gets entrenched in their minds as the truth. 

'Racism' has a simple definition to understand - the belief that one race is superior to another.

Why can't the African race believe they are superior to other races? Are they genetically incapable? 

I see you missed the post that caused my retort.  Typical when you hold personal feelings on the subject and act impulsively.  And racism is not human nature.  It's taught in some shape or form.  I know it isn't bound to the white race, but when looking at history, it's conceivable that it arose from the white race.  The white race has definitely made it's mark   It's impossible for a black person to be racist towards white people.  Based on the history of our country and the accounts of the middle passage, it's only natural that blacks should despise white people, but not all do.  I'm white and I despise many white people I encounter.  This whole sense of white pride that has become ideology amongst many in this country is absolutely ridiculous.  It's just a false sense of pride.  I take pride in being an admirable human being in a world full of #######s.
This idea that people should hate others because of events that happened and ended generations before the haters or hated were born seems like the recipe for creating another Middle East.  Maybe that's a weak example, since religious differences are in play there too.  So feel free to insert your favorite group-identity genocidal conflict.  Hutus vs. Tutsis.  Greeks vs. Turks.  Etc.

It's ok to hate what people did in the past without perpetuating that hatred to anyone in the present who has the same skin color as the perpetrators.  

He wasnt arrested Mavis
Where exactly do you come from?  Because that aint even close to arrested.
He wasnt arrested, lets check on that?

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1367168-las-vegas-police-state-bennett-running-away-prompted-officers-to-stop-him

Doesn't this always seem to be the case when stuff like this goes down?  "Police stated that the arresting officer did not have his body camera on him during the time of Bennett's detainment."
Police department stated the "ARRESTING OFFICER" in the bold. The department and the people who would know better than anyone on this board saying he wasnt arrested say he was arrested. Not a random person, but the source itself. It seems those who want to trust the police no matter what seem like their hands are tied here. THAT WAS AN ARREST...just like the police dept. that ARRESTED him said.

He wasnt arrested, lets check on that?

Police department stated the "ARRESTING OFFICER" in the bold. The department and the people who would know better than anyone on this board saying he wasnt arrested say he was arrested. Not a random person, but the source itself. It seems those who want to trust the police no matter what seem like their hands are tied here. THAT WAS AN ARREST...just like the police dept. that ARRESTED him said.
Arresting Officer just describes the officer that was either first on the scene, placed the subject in handcuffs or filed the incident report. All of those things can happen without an arrest actually happening. I spent years catching shoplifters in a retail environment. We took people to the ground, placed them in handcuffs and filled out the preliminary police report prior to the actual police arriving. But we never placed anyone under arrest.

Police have the right to detain people for all kinds of reasons. During that time, they may need to use force to protect themselves, others, and the suspect from harm. Placing them in handcuffs is often required to do so. In the event that a felony has occurred or may have occurred, the police may draw their weapon. You may have heard the term "felony traffic stop". This means the occupants are removed from the car at gunpoint.

In Bennett's case, he was not stopped solely due to race. There were other black males in the same area. Due to there being reports of shots fired, it was believed that a felony has occurred. Any possible suspect of that crime will be treated in a manner to protect the officers and public. (Guns drawn)

Based on the limited pictures/video, it appears the apprehension occurred on a busy street. Not sure if it is LV strip or Flamingo Blvd. But both are high traffic areas. Controlling a large guy in a small area can be very difficult. Had there been a physical altercation, Bennett or the officers could have been hit by a car. 

With all if this, how would a reasonable person suggest the police handle this situation?

-You're a LV officer working a busy section of the strip.

-Reports of gunfire come in. You have a possible description. 

- You instruct everyone to get on the found. Everyone complies except for one person. That person attempts to exit out a side door.

- You make contact with the person. He is much larger than you and is on the edge of a busy thoroughfare. Oh. And your backup is stuck in the crowd and may be minutes from getting to you.

- You have reason to believe this person was involved with a felony and you need to detain him for questioning.

Tell me how you proceed? 

Arresting Officer just describes the officer that was either first on the scene, placed the subject in handcuffs or filed the incident report. All of those things can happen without an arrest actually happening. I spent years catching shoplifters in a retail environment. We took people to the ground, placed them in handcuffs and filled out the preliminary police report prior to the actual police arriving. But we never placed anyone under arrest.

Police have the right to detain people for all kinds of reasons. During that time, they may need to use force to protect themselves, others, and the suspect from harm. Placing them in handcuffs is often required to do so. In the event that a felony has occurred or may have occurred, the police may draw their weapon. You may have heard the term "felony traffic stop". This means the occupants are removed from the car at gunpoint.

In Bennett's case, he was not stopped solely due to race. There were other black males in the same area. Due to there being reports of shots fired, it was believed that a felony has occurred. Any possible suspect of that crime will be treated in a manner to protect the officers and public. (Guns drawn)

Based on the limited pictures/video, it appears the apprehension occurred on a busy street. Not sure if it is LV strip or Flamingo Blvd. But both are high traffic areas. Controlling a large guy in a small area can be very difficult. Had there been a physical altercation, Bennett or the officers could have been hit by a car. 

With all if this, how would a reasonable person suggest the police handle this situation?

-You're a LV officer working a busy section of the strip.

-Reports of gunfire come in. You have a possible description. 

- You instruct everyone to get on the found. Everyone complies except for one person. That person attempts to exit out a side door.

- You make contact with the person. He is much larger than you and is on the edge of a busy thoroughfare. Oh. And your backup is stuck in the crowd and may be minutes from getting to you.

- You have reason to believe this person was involved with a felony and you need to detain him for questioning.

Tell me how you proceed? 
How to proceed? By respecting the law and not profiling. Remember, the cops chose this profession, yes it is dangerous, but they cant profile regardless of such things. I will use "you" since this is specifically since "you" asked and put out some hypotheticals. I refrain from speaking of others directly, but since "you" asked...

You state one side of the story and seem to believe the facts are all on one side of the story. Seems you automatically believe he heard a cop shouting in a hail of gunfire, in a busy thoroughfare as you even said.  Most people run when they hear gun shots, heck most people run when they see a gun. 

You are now also profiling once you say "larger than you," that person larger than you has the same presumption of innocence as a smaller person. Possible description? You either have a description or you dont.

Your backup has nothing to do with if you are apprehending a man just because he is big and black, your backup has nothing to do with avoiding the rights of others because a cop is scared. You have no reason to believe he was involved other than he is big and black and running like everyone else. 

Typical cop excuses in my eyes looking for justification of their actions...also, cops have guns, but they sure act like they are cornered without one. Also, so you want us to not trust the cops and their words when they say "Arresting officer?" Cant have it both ways.

How to proceed? By respecting the law and not profiling. I will use "you" since this is specifically since "you" asked and put out some hypotheticals. I refrain from speaking of others directly, but since you asked. 

You state one side of the story and seem to believe the facts are all on one side of the story. Seems you automatically believe he heard a cop shouting in a hail of gunfire, in a busy thoroughfare as you even said.  Most people run when they hear gun shots, heck most people run when they see a gun. 

You are now also profiling once you say "larger than you," that person larger than you has the same presumption of innocence as a smaller person. Possible description? You either have a description or you dont.

Your backup has nothing to do with if you are apprehending a man just because he is big and black, your backup has nothing to do with avoiding the rights of others because a cop is scared. You have no reason to believe he was involved other than he is big and black and running like everyone else. 

Typical cop excuses...also, cops have guns, but they sure act like they are cornered without one. 
Yes. Respecting the law. If you were in a crowd of people and the police told everyone to get on the ground. Would it be respecting the law by trying to exit out a side door? 

Profiling? How is it profiling if there are 50 other black males in the building and Bennett is the only one that was placed in handcuffs?

How am I profiling when I say "larger than you". Facts are facts. Bennett is an NFL player. Not unreasonable to believe that he's bigger than a majority of the people on this planet. You would have to be in order to play defensive line for the NFL. There are not the same requirements to be a police officer. So, like it or not, odds are that Bennett is as large, or larger than most police officers. 

Possible description could be as vague as plaid shirt, bearded male, sunglasses. (note all things things have nothing to do with the race of the person) Obviously, you are not a reasonable person. You must believe that every crime is as simple as scooby doo. The whole time police are trying to catch a criminal, the criminal is doing everything they can to try and not get caught. Moments after a shooting, you are working on very limited information. Usually from multiple eyewitnesses. Sometimes, you only get a shirt color or some other vague description. Hence, the reason the police try to contain the situation and question as many people as possible. 

Your backup has everything to do with how you apprehend a person. Have you ever seen a police officer initiate a traffic stop, then delay it until his backup arrives. Or have an officer detain someone at gunpoint, and wait until backup arrives before placing the person in handcuffs. You are pretty naive to think that everyone cooperates with the police. 

He wasn't running like everyone else. In a room full of black men, he made himself look suspicious by running, when everyone else was not.

You seem to have a prejudice for cops. I will agree that there are some bad cops in this world, but there are a lot of good cops.  

You didn't answer my original question. How would you specifically handle that same situation if you were the cop?

Where exactly do you come from?  Because that aint even close to arrested.

Also I am going to side with the Vegas cops at 2am after hearing gun shots after a huge fight 100 times out of 100.  Especially considering Bennett is a violent dude.   Bennett is more then likely way overreacting and I suppose the truth is in the middle somewhere.  I seriously doubt they simply plucked him off the street because he is black
How is he violent?  Serious question.

Yes. Respecting the law. If you were in a crowd of people and the police told everyone to get on the ground. Would it be respecting the law by trying to exit out a side door? 

Profiling? How is it profiling if there are 50 other black males in the building and Bennett is the only one that was placed in handcuffs?

How am I profiling when I say "larger than you". Facts are facts. Bennett is an NFL player. Not unreasonable to believe that he's bigger than a majority of the people on this planet. You would have to be in order to play defensive line for the NFL. There are not the same requirements to be a police officer. So, like it or not, odds are that Bennett is as large, or larger than most police officers. 

Possible description could be as vague as plaid shirt, bearded male, sunglasses. (note all things things have nothing to do with the race of the person) Obviously, you are not a reasonable person. You must believe that every crime is as simple as scooby doo. The whole time police are trying to catch a criminal, the criminal is doing everything they can to try and not get caught. Moments after a shooting, you are working on very limited information. Usually from multiple eyewitnesses. Sometimes, you only get a shirt color or some other vague description. Hence, the reason the police try to contain the situation and question as many people as possible. 

Your backup has everything to do with how you apprehend a person. Have you ever seen a police officer initiate a traffic stop, then delay it until his backup arrives. Or have an officer detain someone at gunpoint, and wait until backup arrives before placing the person in handcuffs. You are pretty naive to think that everyone cooperates with the police. 

He wasn't running like everyone else. In a room full of black men, he made himself look suspicious by running, when everyone else was not.

You seem to have a prejudice for cops. I will agree that there are some bad cops in this world, but there are a lot of good cops.  

You didn't answer my original question. How would you specifically handle that same situation if you were the cop?
Good friend of mine was at an outdoor cafe in LA when gunfire erupted.  He ran.  Said that everybody there ran at the sound of gunfire.  Pretty normal human instinct.

Good friend of mine was at an outdoor cafe in LA when gunfire erupted.  He ran.  Said that everybody there ran at the sound of gunfire.  Pretty normal human instinct.
Sure. I agree that's what most people would do depending on timing. Active shooter training instructs people to shelter in place. Not run. Every situation is different. 

At this point, I'm discussing the facts that we know and how they translate to the police investigating a possible shooting. Everyone was instructed to stay put and get down. One person decided to run out a side door. I'm not a cop, but I'd probably want to talk to the one person. 

Mavis - I've been frisked by TSA, does that count as an arrest?

Sure. I agree that's what most people would do depending on timing. Active shooter training instructs people to shelter in place. Not run. Every situation is different. 

At this point, I'm discussing the facts that we know and how they translate to the police investigating a possible shooting. Everyone was instructed to stay put and get down. One person decided to run out a side door. I'm not a cop, but I'd probably want to talk to the one person. 

To compare I need more details, were you cuffed at gun point and placed inside a cop car? If not, then no, you just went through airport security. 

To compare I need more details, were you cuffed at gun point and placed inside a cop car? If not, then no, you just went through airport security. 
And Bennett went through being detained during a felony investigation. The devil IS in the details. 

If Bennett did disobey police request to stay put and get down, at a minimum he could be charged with obstructing justice. Ticky Tack charge, but he also could have valuable information that would have led the police to the actual shooter. 

And Bennett went through being detained during a felony investigation. The devil IS in the details. 

If Bennett did disobey police request to stay put and get down, at a minimum he could be charged with obstructing justice. Ticky Tack charge, but he also could have valuable information that would have led the police to the actual shooter. 
So is that a "no" you did not get handcuffed with a gun pointed at your head then stuffed in a back of a cop car? I will take it as a "no" since you did not answer the question and I'll yours, again... Since its a "no" then I stand by my account that you just went trough security and were not arrested in this apples to oranges comparison.  

A buddy of mine was pulled over on a fishing trip a few years back. The officer removed everyone from the truck, searched the truck, placed my buddy in the back of the squad car and had him take a breathalyzer test. He passed. Was this an arrest or an investigation?

So is that a "no" you did not get handcuffed with a gun pointed at your head then stuffed in a back of a cop car? I will take it as a no since you din not answer the question and answer yours again... Since its a "no" then I stand by my account that you just went trough security and were not arrested in this apples to oranges comparison.  
Was there a shooting in that airport a few minutes earlier? If I was a suspect of that shooting, or trying to leave out of a side door, I may have a gun pointed at me. 

Your vacuum sucks. 

So is that a "no" you did not get handcuffed with a gun pointed at your head then stuffed in a back of a cop car? I will take it as a "no" since you did not answer the question and I'll yours, again... Since its a "no" then I stand by my account that you just went trough security and were not arrested in this apples to oranges comparison.  
What are you even trying to argue here? 

A buddy of mine was pulled over on a fishing trip a few years back. The officer removed everyone from the truck, searched the truck, placed my buddy in the back of the squad car and had him take a breathalyzer test. He passed. Was this an arrest or an investigation?
You seem to leave out details to these stories on purpose. Was the driver swerving, was he driving erratic, was he drunk? Driving drunk is a crime. Also, again....was he at gun point and cuffed? So many details you leave out. Either the cop had reason to pull you over or he did without cause and that then just validates in your attempt to make the false equivalency, that cops do pull over and apprehend peopel and even arrest them for no reason.

Was there a shooting in that airport a few minutes earlier? If I was a suspect of that shooting, or trying to leave out of a side door, I may have a gun pointed at me. 

Your vacuum sucks. 
So by that account everyone is a suspect without cause, speaking of vacuums. I will not insult you like you are doing me, I will just debate your points. 

Now please keep this to Bennett and this story if you can, not anymore hypotheticals directed at me, please.

What are you even trying to argue here? 
Im not arguing, I'm answering questions directed at me by name.

He is a pro bowl defensive end.  Couple that with how he went off on a reporter then its not a stretch to say he is a violent dude.  You dont get to the pro bowl as a defensive lineman by being a passive dude.
Whats even being argued here? That because a player plays football and that he made the probowl while telling a reporter off, that he is violent and should be a suspect in shootings?

Im not arguing, I'm answering questions directed at me by name.

Whats even being argued here? That because a player plays football and that he made the probowl while telling a reporter off, that he is violent and should be a suspect in shootings?
I am saying there is more to the story then poor ol Michael Bennett being profiled by some hispanic cops.

Do we have video that shows only one man running?

I am saying there is more to the story then poor ol Michael Bennett being profiled by some hispanic cops.
Fixed, but yes I agree to the point after the strikeouts at this moment. However...thats not what you were really saying, you say no matter what you agree with cops over a violent dude, do I need to quote that for you? 

Explain to me how once they found out his name was Michael Bennett, that he was no longer a big black man who was a suspect?

Regardless of his name, if they really thought he did something, his name should not be the reason he was freed. 

Fixed, but yes I agree to the point after the strikeouts at this moment. However...thats not what you were really saying, you say no matter what you agree with cops over a violent dude, do I need to quote that for you? 

Explain to me how once they found out his name was Michael Bennett, that he was no longer a big black man who was a suspect?

Regardless of his name, if they really thought he did something, his name should not be the reason he was freed. 
For the 3rd time, at 2am in Vegas after gun shots were fired I am siding with the cops and their actions 100 times out of 100.  No question.  It seems to me that the situation sorted itself out no?  He wasnt arrested and was released.

For the 3rd time, at 2am in Vegas after gun shots were fired I am siding with the cops and their actions 100 times out of 100.  No question.  It seems to me that the situation sorted itself out no?  He wasnt arrested and was released.
So if they killed an innocent person, you will side with them just because its 2am? Is being out at 2am illegal, I am not certain of Nevada laws, but I assume it isnt. Why are things opened up until 2 or in Vegas even after 2am then? Thats a pretty unfair reason to side with cops. 

That he is overreacting and playing the victim, I was racially profiled (by hispanic cops) card.  Pretty simple actually.
Not that simple, because thats assuming Hispanics cant racial profile, and that in itself is racist. 

That he is overreacting and playing the victim, I was racially profiled (by hispanic cops) card.  Pretty simple actually.
Than is used in the comparitive.  Then is used to show sequence of events.

Are hispanic cops incapable of profiling?  What are you getting at here?

Than is used in the comparitive.  Then is used to show sequence of events.

Are hispanic cops incapable of profiling?  What are you getting at here?
One poster in this thread mentioned that Africans are incapable of being racist towards the European. 

So, I for one, am unsure if Hispanic cops are capable of racial profiling at this point. 

I dont think you have this whole "racially profiling" thing down yet.
I believe Hispanics are a race, who also are capable of profiling other people because they are black, which is a race as well. I have a firm understanding of "racial profiling."

ra·cial pro·fil·ing

noun

US

the use of race or ethnicity as grounds for suspecting someone of having committed an offense.
Does not say anything about Hispanics not being able to racially profile someone else.  

Great.  Then there really isn't any point in discussing any police-related issue with you.

Users who are viewing this thread