What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Bennett - False Arrest? (1 Viewer)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the events that took place but he wasn't detained following a description of a shooter. 

Shots were reported in an area/place--cops investigate said place and order everyone to stay where they are and one guy decides to make a break for it. 
I've seen no reports that cops ordered everyone to stay where they are.  In fact what I read is that the cops were attempting to clear folks out of the area.

The notion that Bennett was the only guy "to make a break for it" is laughable.  Shots are heard and everyone stays put except one guy?  C'mon.

I've seen no reports that cops ordered everyone to stay where they are.  In fact what I read is that the cops were attempting to clear folks out of the area.

The notion that Bennett was the only guy "to make a break for it" is laughable.  Shots are heard and everyone stays put except one guy?  C'mon.
 I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. Shots are allegedly fired, the cops are called, the cops arrive at the scene or near the scene of where the shots were fired. They start to investigate the area and order everyone to stay still. By reports everyone is staying still. Until one man decides to make a break for it .

Sources connected to the investigation tell TMZ Sports ... when cops responded to the club for a possible active shooter, they ordered everyone to get down and not to move so they could properly search and investigate.

We're told Bennett did not stay put -- instead, he got up and started running -- and the cop outside the club stopped him and ordered him down to the ground at gunpoint.

Our sources say Bennett was detained until cops could determine he was  involved in any possible criminal activity ... and he was then released.

Last edited by a moderator:
 I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. Shots are allegedly fired, the cops are called, the cops arrive at the scene or near the scene of where the shots were fired. They start to investigate the area and order everyone to stay still. By reports everyone is staying still. Until one man decides to make a break for it .
In their own account of the incident, the LVPD don't mention anything about officers ordering people to get down and not move.

You'd think if the subject of this controversy (Bennett) was acting in direct opposition to officers' commands, that they'd be very vocal in pointing that out.

And reports are that many other people were running -- just as you would suspect.

In their own account of the incident, the LVPD don't mention anything about officers ordering people to get down and not move.

You'd think if the subject of this controversy (Bennett) was acting in direct opposition to officers' commands, that they'd be very vocal in pointing that out.

And reports are that many other people were running -- just as you would suspect.
So if all the reasons that people who are against Bennett keep getting debunked, what does that tell you about the real reason why people are against him?

They are not Seahawks fans.  :football:  

I'm just glad football is finally here.

From CNN: "McMahill said the officers were responding to the situation based on what they knew at the time. An individual later identified as Bennett was seen crouched down behind a gaming machine as the officers approached, he said. Once Bennett was in the officers' view, he quickly ran out of the south doors and jumped over a wall into traffic."

So, he ran away from the safety of approaching police officers which made him appear to possibly be the suspect. He was apprehended and questioned. When it was found out that he wasn't the suspect he was released. The cops are 100% justified in detaining him and appear to have handled it appropriately. Race doesn't appear to be a factor in detaining him. Bennett should not have fled from the cops and was obviously scared by his altercation by them. It's a combination of his own actions and being in the wrong location at the time. End of story.

You seem to leave out details to these stories on purpose. Was the driver swerving, was he driving erratic, was he drunk? Driving drunk is a crime. Also, again....was he at gun point and cuffed? So many details you leave out. Either the cop had reason to pull you over or he did without cause and that then just validates in your attempt to make the false equivalency, that cops do pull over and apprehend peopel and even arrest them for no reason.

So by that account everyone is a suspect without cause, speaking of vacuums. I will not insult you like you are doing me, I will just debate your points. 

Now please keep this to Bennett and this story if you can, not anymore hypotheticals directed at me, please.
I don't recall if he was handcuffed. The cop followed us approx 2 miles from the bar/restaurant where we had dinner and drinks. My friend made the choice to only have one beer with his dinner while the rest of us drank for another hour or two. The cop thought he had a slam dunk dui. No reason to make the stop other than profiling.

But my friend made no public statements. And just moved on with his life. 

So if all the reasons that people who are against Bennett keep getting debunked, what does that tell you about the real reason why people are against him?
Please no baiting here. This adds nothing to the conversation insinuating people against Bennett have "other reasons" for being against him. For a guy that references this post a lot, I'd think you'd have at least read it. 

- Please no Trolling or Triggers. Trolls always do the "who me?" defense when called out. But it's clear to everyone what you're doing when people are posting with the intent of trying to get a reaction. Clayton gave me this definition of Trolling that feels spot on: making a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.  If we feel you're trying to just rile up people and start a fight, you'll be suspended.

Same with Triggers. People know there are words or phrases or pics that set some people off. Please don't use those. For President Obama, it was making sure to refer to him as Barak Hussein Obama. President Trump has plenty of those too. Please let's try to be cool with those. You know what they are and you know what you're doing when you use them. 

- Please don't make sweeping generalizations. Sweeping generalizations are always a bad idea. (see what I did there) My biggest problem with them is not just that they're lazy, but that they kill discussion.  There is little upside in negative statements like the "Packer fans are ..." or "Ezekiel Elliott owners are ..." type stuff. Or claiming everyone feels a certain way. "All people from this state are ..." or "If you voted for X then you are ..." Generalizations are the the hallmark of lazy writing. Be specific. And don't make assumptions for an entire group. 

I agree with you although I think we need to be careful not to assume the police are automatically wrong in every case.   From everything I read I think Bennett had the natural reaction to run away from a nightclub where shots were fired.  I also think that he cooperated fully with the police and showed tremendous restraint in not fighting back and I think that is the main reason why he wasn't physically harmed.  

So I praise his self control in the situation and respect him a great deal.  However I also understand that when the police arrive at a nightclub where a reported shooter is loose that they would naturally chase and bring down a man that was running away.
Well said.

Seems to me that some people don't realize how stressful being a cop really is.  These cops received an "active shooter" call, and one person gets up and runs away upon their arrival, despite being told to stay down.

Respect for the authority of police officers is at an all-time low.  If you aren't doing anything wrong, doing what the officer says is your best action.  Running away is one of the worst actions you can take, because it forces the officer to make a snap decision in a high-stress situation.

I have told my kids many times, if a police officer approaches you, talk to them when spoken to, and give them respect.  They have a tough job.

I don't recall if he was handcuffed. The cop followed us approx 2 miles from the bar/restaurant where we had dinner and drinks. My friend made the choice to only have one beer with his dinner while the rest of us drank for another hour or two. The cop thought he had a slam dunk dui. No reason to make the stop other than profiling.

But my friend made no public statements. And just moved on with his life. 
Was he white or black and was he a celebrity? All these things matter if we are going to compare such events that are not even close to relation it appears. 

Seems to me that some people don't realize how stressful being a cop really is.  These cops received an "active shooter" call, and one person gets up and runs away upon their arrival, despite being told to stay down.

Respect for the authority of police officers is at an all-time low.  If you aren't doing anything wrong, doing what the officer says is your best action.  Running away is one of the worst actions you can take, because it forces the officer to make a snap decision in a high-stress situation.

I have told my kids many times, if a police officer approaches you, talk to them when spoken to, and give them respect.  They have a tough job.
They can do something else if they choose. Were they not aware of the dangers and stress before they applied?

Respect for citizens from cops is at an all time low.

I have told my kids if a cop comes towards you put your hands in a visible placed at all times and remain silent. They have a job that is stressful and they may pull a trigger at anytime, because they are clearly stressed.

They can do something else if they choose. Were they not aware of the dangers and stress before they applied?

Respect for citizens from cops is at an all time low.

I have told my kids if a cop comes towards you put your hands in a visible placed at all times and remain silent. They have a job that is stressful and they may pull a trigger at anytime, because they are clearly stressed.
You tell your kids that police officers could pull a trigger at any time?  This is part of the problem.

You tell your kids that police officers could pull a trigger at any time?  This is part of the problem.
Yes I do, I did not know telling children factual information was a problem. You think stressed out cops should be cut slack instead of relieved of their duties. I think that is part of the problem, but I didnt attack you, I just responded to your comments. Seems some just cant seem to escape the insults. 

Agreed.  They need to stop hiring these guys that are always on edge.
Seems people who are stressed out should not be employed in a field such as law enforcement.

Also, how is it wrong to believe stressed out individuals can pull a trigger at any time. They do say things like "dont move, or I'll shoot you in the head" according to Bennett and others who have gone through the same situations. 

Yes I do, I did not know telling children factual information was a problem. You think stressed out cops should be cut slack instead of relieved of their duties. I think that is part of the problem. But I didnt attack you, I just responded to your comments. Seems some just cant seem to escape the insults. 
I didn't attack you, either, but you seem to enjoy playing the victim here.  People need to respect the police.  They need to cooperate with the police.  These are not (or rather SHOULD not) be controversial statements.

I didn't attack you, either, but you seem to enjoy playing the victim here.  People need to respect the police.  They need to cooperate with the police.  These are not (or rather SHOULD not) be controversial statements.
Respect is earned, and no, people dont need to cooperate with people trying to bring them down. They can respect the law, which as we know, cops break often. Cops are not the law, they enforce the law, a huge difference. They too have to obey the law. I play the victim? It seems you think the guys with the badges are the victims.

However, this is going no where as most people who are against Bennett are not because he did something wrong, but we know that.

I've seen a lecture by an ex-cop turned lawyer who disagrees.  

Respect is earned, and no, people dont need to cooperate with people trying to bring them down. They can respect the law, which as we know, cops break often. Cops are not the law, they enforce the law, a huge difference. They too have to obey the law. 
If you show respect and cooperate, you won't get brought down in the first place.

The problem with hiring police officers is that there are too many unique situations to properly train for. You could have a good cop for ten years and then one adrenaline filled situation has a bad outcome. No way to create that adrenaline in training. 

The problem with hiring police officers is that there are too many unique situations to properly train for. You could have a good cop for ten years and then one adrenaline filled situation has a bad outcome. No way to create that adrenaline in training. 
some people in here would disagree, and think that police officers are robots

Cant dispute that, as good cops do make mistakes...and there are many many good cops.

Mavis, how many thousands upon thousands of police officer / citizen interactions are there in a given day?  We hear only about the infinitesimal few that go sideways, and you focus on these.  Yes, there are some bad cops.  That doesn't mean ALL cops are bad.  Yet this seems to be the point you are making.

Cant dispute that, as good cops do make mistakes...and there are many many good cops.
Hey look. We can agree on something!

Let's try for two. There are some awful racist cops as well. 

We need to allow due process to identify the bad ones. When that process fails, we need to take steps to put pressure on those that can make channges.

Please no baiting here. This adds nothing to the conversation insinuating people against Bennett have "other reasons" for being against him. For a guy that references this post a lot, I'd think you'd have at least read it. 
I said SOME, guilty consciences are not my issue. I should share your link lecturing me with insults, pot meet kettle emoji? You even said you blocked me, untruths are your game. Please ignore me, thanks in advance. Also, please do not PM me any lectures as well. 

Mavis, how many thousands upon thousands of police officer / citizen interactions are there in a given day?  We hear only about the infinitesimal few that go sideways, and you focus on these.  Yes, there are some bad cops.  That doesn't mean ALL cops are bad.  Yet this seems to be the point you are making.
They should be rewarded and complimented for doing their job? They should be applauded for writing a ticket without problem? I dont applaud my children when they go to the bathroom...but I do get on them when they make a mess. Certain expectations of whats reasonable. 

Hey look. We can agree on something!

Let's try for two. There are some awful racist cops as well. 

We need to allow due process to identify the bad ones. When that process fails, we need to take steps to put pressure on those that can make channges.
Dont dispute, but I dont think due process is knee in the back and gun to your head. 

Dont dispute, but I dont think due process is knee in the back and gun to your head. 
So close. 

I was talking about due process when removing an officer from his job or filing criminal charges.

We just found out about this yesterday. People are taking Bennett's account as the only truth.

Say its true and that really happened.  How in your mind should the cops have handled that specific situation?
By not putting a knee in the back or a gun to his head or as he called it, excessive force.

So close. 

I was talking about due process when removing an officer from his job or filing criminal charges.

We just found out about this yesterday. People are taking Bennett's account as the only truth.
I am not qualified to say how a Cop should be removed...but I would suggests process exist.

By not putting a knee in the back or a gun to his head or as he called it, excessive force.

I am not qualified to say how a Cop should be removed...but I would suggests process exist.
Is there a scenario where you see that process being played out via the media (specifically TMZ) and being completed in 24 hours?

Is there a scenario where you see that process being played out via the media (specifically TMZ) and being completed in 24 hours?
No, not likely.

That doesnt answer my question.   
It did, just most likely not the way you wanted me to.

We are going to have to agree to disagree then. I wanna go talk about football now since game time is closer and closer.

davearm said:

The LVPD sent a letter to the NFL today detailing what Bennett was doing. Nothing has changed. 

Thats not baiting, your trolling here is beneath you. Please attempt to be excellent.
- Please no Trolling or Triggers. Trolls always do the "who me?" defense when called out. But it's clear to everyone what you're doing when people are posting with the intent of trying to get a reaction. Clayton gave me this definition of Trolling that feels spot on: making a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.  If we feel you're trying to just rile up people and start a fight, you'll be suspended.

Same with Triggers. People know there are words or phrases or pics that set some people off. Please don't use those. For President Obama, it was making sure to refer to him as Barak Hussein Obama. President Trump has plenty of those too. Please let's try to be cool with those. You know what they are and you know what you're doing when you use them. 

- Please don't make sweeping generalizations. Sweeping generalizations are always a bad idea. (see what I did there) My biggest problem with them is not just that they're lazy, but that they kill discussion.  There is little upside in negative statements like the "Packer fans are ..." or "Ezekiel Elliott owners are ..." type stuff. Or claiming everyone feels a certain way. "All people from this state are ..." or "If you voted for X then you are ..." Generalizations are the the hallmark of lazy writing. Be specific. And don't make assumptions for an entire group. 

Saying that people who are anti-Bennett in this thread have "racist undertones" to their posts qualifies for a lot of the above bolded. You've offended several of the manifesto's guidelines. I'd recommend you re-read it and keep trying your absolute bestest toward staying excellent

So this is Mavis ruining the Kaep thread, Zeke and this one all with the same tactics....
This helps the thread? When all else fails and you lose the argument on the message time and time again, attack the messenger. Thats what we have here. Not my fault your points dont hold water and you all have to deflect and attack. Do you know how many links I provided in that Zeke thread? Also, I started this thread to discuss this topic, if anyone ruined it, it wasnt I. Please, lets talk the topic. 

This helps the thread? Get on your moral high horse. Ruining the thread because I dont view black people the same way you do? Amazing you dont think the other guy is ruining the thread because he agrees with you. SHOCKER! 
Just out of curiosity, how do you think I view black people.

Just out of curiosity, how do you think I view black people.
I'm not going to point out anyone individually, some comments here appear to present some as prejudging a certain race. I'll let others decide what comments those are. Regardless of the trolling by some and the untruths, I do my best to follow the rules. 

The nerve some have to say I am ruining this thread as many are asking me directly by name some questions, like this right here. I was directly asked a question. Lots of red herrings being thrown at me, I gotta step away. Part of the rules to know when to step away.

Users who are viewing this thread