What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Michael Bennett - False Arrest? (3 Viewers)

Just about everyone. This is from the Houston Chronicle. 

One I read earlier said one witness was a police officer.  
They are quoting the statement of Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo, they are aware of no other witnesses other than the police officer from their own reporting.

You're just awful at this. 
Give me some links where this newspaper claims to have even have talked to anonymous sources, there are none. All you are going on is the statement by the Police Chief.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole incident is pretty weird. It was at the Super Bowl and he pushed down some lady in wheelchair and no one did ####, no one said anything, a cop saw this and didn't react? If a bunch of different witnesses are saying they saw Bennet push some old lady then he's in some trouble for sure. Really doubt jail because something that rises to that level would have been a big incident at the time I would think. Just my take but we'll see.

As to Bennett being a "known liar" I assume that is stemming from the Vegas stuff. I didn't really follow it super closely but he said he was threatened and singled out or whatever. A tape came out later that was kind of inconclusive but showed that Bennett was cuffed, but was also not staying down on the ground when everyone else was so cops were justified to some extent in cuffing him.

Is that right? Anything I'm missing there?

Bennett got a fair amount of coverage in Seattle during this last run, not Sherman, Wilson, Lynch levels but still was on radio quite a bit. Pretty good in the community, had his causes. He came across as a bit of a baby and flakey but was pretty funny and seemed like an ok dude. Definitely did some good work in the community here.

His act at the end of games was pretty lame at times. Think that was overblown a tad but he does deserve some #### there. 

This whole incident is pretty weird. It was at the Super Bowl and he pushed down some lady in wheelchair and no one did ####, no one said anything, a cop saw this and didn't react? If a bunch of different witnesses are saying they saw Bennet push some old lady then he's in some trouble for sure. Really doubt jail because something that rises to that level would have been a big incident at the time I would think. Just my take but we'll see.

As to Bennett being a "known liar" I assume that is stemming from the Vegas stuff. I didn't really follow it super closely but he said he was threatened and singled out or whatever. A tape came out later that was kind of inconclusive but showed that Bennett was cuffed, but was also not staying down on the ground when everyone else was so cops were justified to some extent in cuffing him.

Is that right? Anything I'm missing there?

Bennett got a fair amount of coverage in Seattle during this last run, not Sherman, Wilson, Lynch levels but still was on radio quite a bit. Pretty good in the community, had his causes. He came across as a bit of a baby and flakey but was pretty funny and seemed like an ok dude. Definitely did some good work in the community here.

His act at the end of games was pretty lame at times. Think that was overblown a tad but he does deserve some #### there. 
I would agree that the wheelchair incident is weird and doesn’t make a lot of sense.  However, I would 100% disagree with the Vegas video as being inconclusive, it was anything but inconclusive and he killed a lot of potential career paths there, only to then set his sights on calling out Russell Wilson.  My only concern is if Roger Goodell can suspend players on much less, then he needs to be consistent.  

I would agree that the wheelchair incident is weird and doesn’t make a lot of sense.  However, I would 100% disagree with the Vegas video as being inconclusive, it was anything but inconclusive and he killed a lot of potential career paths there, only to then set his sights on calling out Russell Wilson.  My only concern is if Roger Goodell can suspend players on much less, then he needs to be consistent.  
Without rehashing too much what did the tape show? Bennett thought he was singled out for being black but he was also running. He was cuffed but that's standard practice I would guess. Not sure how much that makes him a liar. Race being injected into it makes it understandably a heated situation. I honestly don't know if I'm missing details, but that's how I remember it.

Calling out Wilson? If that's from the comments recently about needing more thugs on the team and less Wilsons when I heard the rest it didn't come across to me as bad as the headline. He loves Wilson but was saying you need all types in the locker room. Some crazy people, some coach ### kissers, some bad assess, etc. At least that's what my take was.

He's a drama queen for sure. Those guys are great for the media when it's going well, not as much when things aren't going well.

:lmao:

Don't hold your breath.

:crickets:
:lmao:   A lot of the time I don't bother responding to idiotic posts.

Give me some links where this newspaper claims to have even have talked to anonymous sources, there are none. All you are going on is the statement by the Police Chief.
Because anonymous sources > police reports from eye witnesses?  Like I said, you're awful at this.  

All you have to do is follow the money.  The Seahawks were happy to get rid of him for a 4th round draft pick while eating 5 Million in dead money.  The Eagles restructured his contract to about that same number and only 1 of that is guaranteed.  This guy's stock is falling and if this incident doesn't send him to the unemployment line next to Kaepernick the next one probably will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkUGjtAemtw

Between this and his drama filled fake police brutality efforts in Las Vegas is all you need to know this guy is just trash.  Assaulting a crippled old lady would just add to the list but isn't needed to confirm anything.  If you find yourself defending this guy you should take a long look in the mirror.
He can be a ##### but I can also tell you he did at lot of good stuff while he was in Seattle.

Trash is a bit much, I’d say more of a drama queen and entitled. 

If this Super Bowl thing is made up or some kind of cash grab then he deserves defending as much as the next guy. 

He can be a ##### but I can also tell you he did at lot of good stuff while he was in Seattle.

Trash is a bit much, I’d say more of a drama queen and entitled. 

If this Super Bowl thing is made up or some kind of cash grab then he deserves defending as much as the next guy. 
Not sure how criminal charges can be a cash grab, but, what you're saying is we do need to find out for sure that he shoved an old lady before he reaches trash status?  

Not sure how criminal charges can be a cash grab, but, what you're saying is we do need to find out for sure that he shoved an old lady before he reaches trash status?  
To the cash grab I am just assuming some lawsuit is coming at some point.

But yes I wouldn't call him trash based on the Vegas thing or the acting like a baby at the end of a game or whatever.

To the cash grab I am just assuming some lawsuit is coming at some point.

But yes I wouldn't call him trash based on the Vegas thing or the acting like a baby at the end of a game or whatever.
He made totally false accusations against an officer so he could have a national racism tantrum.  That's trash.   He didn't act like a baby after the game.  He tried to injure another players knee.  That's trash.  

He made totally false accusations against an officer so he could have a national racism tantrum.  That's trash.   He didn't act like a baby after the game.  He tried to injure another players knee.  That's trash.  
What were the false allegations he made? I didn't really follow this super closely but I thought it was somewhat inconclusive what happened. He said he was singled out because he was black, he was not paying attention to orders but it was also chaotic. He got cuffed but it wasn't totally undeserved either. Again not too familiar with what al went on there.

Trying to injure the guy, agree to disagree. He was acting like a ##### trying to start ####. Not great behavior but there's 50 things that go on every game that are much more dangerous.

What were the false allegations he made? I didn't really follow this super closely but I thought it was somewhat inconclusive what happened. 
An allegation is false if it cannot be proven as true.  It is not fair to the accused to say an accusation is merely inconclusive if there is no evidence to prove it is true.  

Taking a guys out at the knees is as low as it gets. That can be career ending.  I've never seen something like that happen 50 times in a game.  I've never seen a guy on defence do it in victory formation, ever.  

An allegation is false if it cannot be proven as true.  It is not fair to the accused to say an accusation is merely inconclusive if there is no evidence to prove it is true.  
He's guilty of talking out his ###. He's a guy who runs into people for a living, because he's good at it and is popular he gets more attention than he should. 

This makes him irresponsible perhaps but doesn't mean he's trash.

Taking a guys out at the knees is as low as it gets. That can be career ending.  I've never seen something like that happen 50 times in a game.  I've never seen a guy on defence do it in victory formation, ever.  
He was trying to swipe at the ball as it was snapped and rolled into the guy. It’s a ##### move but it’s not anywhere near any list of dirtiest hits or whatever. He acted like a chump in that game, he’s done similar stuff in other games but I’ve never really seen regarded as a dirty player.

He was trying to swipe at the ball as it was snapped and rolled into the guy. It’s a ##### move but it’s not anywhere near any list of dirtiest hits or whatever. He acted like a chump in that game, he’s done similar stuff in other games but I’ve never really seen regarded as a dirty player.
What??????? This is the worst description of an NFL play I have ever read. He is like 15 feet from the ball when this happens.

ETA: Just watched it again(it is linked in this very thread) not only is he 15 feet from the ball, there are like 12 guys in between him and Bortles who is holding the ball standing upright. Bennett is on his rump and then gets up and tackles the jax player from behind, then he basically tackles him again and tries to mount him. Swipe at the ball :lmao:

No one would, unless that person is an noob at football.

What??????? This is the worst description of an NFL play I have ever read. He is like 15 feet from the ball when this happens.

ETA: Just watched it again(it is linked in this very thread) not only is he 15 feet from the ball, there are like 12 guys in between him and Bortles who is holding the ball standing upright. Bennett is on his rump and then gets up and tackles the jax player from behind, then he basically tackles him again and tries to mount him. Swipe at the ball :lmao:
Yeah I think we are talking about different things. Here's the whole play that shows before snap as well: LINK

Bennett was lined up in front of the center. He loads up and tries to swipe ball as it is being snapped. He then dives/falls into the center's legs. I assumed this is where people think an injury would happen not in the little tickle fight they get into later.

It was a ##### move by Bennett, that is technically the only way they could have any chance of winning there is I'm sure what he would say, but yeah it was intended to cause ####.

Bigger point is the guy is a can big a big entitled baby butI had never really heard him being labeled a dirty player. 

Yeah I think we are talking about different things. Here's the whole play that shows before snap as well: LINK

Bennett was lined up in front of the center. He loads up and tries to swipe ball as it is being snapped. He then dives/falls into the center's legs. I assumed this is where people think an injury would happen not in the little tickle fight they get into later.

It was a ##### move by Bennett, that is technically the only way they could have any chance of winning there is I'm sure what he would say, but yeah it was intended to cause ####.

Bigger point is the guy is a can big a big entitled baby butI had never really heard him being labeled a dirty player. 
I didnt even think he hit Linder's knee on the snap play. I have always only read(and judged myself) descriptions of the aftermath. Never knew anybody focused on the first part of it.

On the first of Bortles’ three kneel-downs, Bennett dove at the feet of Jaguars center Brandon Linder, most likely in an honest attempt to disrupt the snap. When his attempt to create a loose ball failed, Bennett resorted to dirty play.

After Linder stepped over Bennett (who, again, was at Linder’s feet), Bennett dove and rolled into the back of Linder’s leg. When Linder went down, Bennett jumped on top of him and started a fracas.

Bennett may have been initially attempting to swipe the ball the instant Linder snapped it to Bortles. But that doesn’t explain why Bennett then continued rolling into Linder’s knee, long after Bortles had taken the snap and kneeled down, as Linder attempted to get away from Bennett to protect himself from injury.

Two officials were standing on either side of Bennett as he rolled into Linder, and both of them threw their flags. If the NFL thinks Bennett was just trying to swipe the ball, then the NFL needs to explain what those two officials were looking at when they threw their flags.
You can see Bennett doing a rolling block into the center as he hikes the ball, so yes, maybe if that was ALL that happened then it wouldn’t have been notable. But you can see Bennett then roll back into Brandon Linder’s legs from behind in frustration. Meanwhile, Blake Bortles is holding the ball up after having kneeled.

But who are you going to believe? The NFL or your lying eyes?

I didnt even think he hit Linder's knee on the snap play. I have always only read(and judged myself) descriptions of the aftermath. Never knew anybody focused on the first part of it.
Fair enough. What I see is the center pissed that he was dived into on a victory snap and walked over Bennett, normal and justified reaction. Bennett escalates it with his whole act of being tangled up with the guy. 

Could he have gotten hurt there, sure I guess maybe there's a chance and it was not a football play. But human garbage or whatever people are calling him for that, not seeing that.

What were the false allegations he made? I didn't really follow this super closely but I thought it was somewhat inconclusive what happened. He said he was singled out because he was black, he was not paying attention to orders but it was also chaotic. He got cuffed but it wasn't totally undeserved either. Again not too familiar with what al went on there.

Trying to injure the guy, agree to disagree. He was acting like a ##### trying to start ####. Not great behavior but there's 50 things that go on every game that are much more dangerous.
If you didnt follow then why in the hell are you in here trying to defend him?

If you didnt follow then why in the hell are you in here trying to defend him?
I know about him from his time in Seattle and from interviews and some charity stuff that my company did with him he seemed like an ok guy.

I have said what I thought happened in Vegas from what I saw about it but also didn’t spend a ton of time looking into it. Nobody has responded to my take of what happened there.

I am sure that everyone here who trashed Michael Bennett when these bogus charges were issued, will now come forward and admit they were wrong.

And I wonder if Houston Chief of Police will amend his statement calling Bennett “morally bankrupt” and “morally corrupt”...
What exactly were 'bogus' about the charges?  Bennett was still indicted, the DA's office just did not believe that could prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.  That is much different than proving the charges were bogus.  

What exactly were 'bogus' about the charges?  Bennett was still indicted, the DA's office just did not believe that could prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.  That is much different than proving the charges were bogus.  

That's an interesting spin on innocent until proven guilty.

I realize you aren't a jury, but a guy proclaims his innocence, the DA drops all charges against him, and that still isn't enough for you? Pretty high hurdle for the poor accused. 

I am sure that everyone here who trashed Michael Bennett when these bogus charges were issued, will now come forward and admit they were wrong.

And I wonder if Houston Chief of Police will amend his statement calling Bennett “morally bankrupt” and “morally corrupt”...
Sure I will.  As soon as everyone that has accused Trump of colluding with the Russians admits they were wrong because there have been no charges even filed.

Also, I'm sure you're aware that charges get dropped (or people acquitted) all the time when they actually did the crime.  Watch Bob Kraft if you don't believe me.  Or OJ hacking up his ex-wife and her boyfriend.   

Trumped up charges without merit (as was pointed out repeatedly in this thread at the time). Never should have gone to an indictment. In retrospect seems retaliation by the Houston Police Chief to punish Bennett for speaking out against racism and police brutality.

It was obvious there was no there there from the beginning. From Deadspin:

https://deadspin.com/prosecutors-drop-extremely-bull####-smelling-charge-aga-1833788093

Prosecutors Drop Extremely Bull####-Smelling Charge Against Michael Bennett

Barry Petchesky

Last March, Michael Bennett was indicted seemingly out of nowhere, on a felony charge of injury to the elderly. At an utterly bizarre press conference the next day, Houston’s chief of police called Bennett “morally bankrupt” and “morally corrupt,” and alleged that Bennett had shoved a 66-year-old paraplegic security guard at Super Bowl 51 in February 2017, as he tried to get onto the field to celebrate with his brother Martellus. Well, the charge against Bennett, now with the Patriots, has been dropped.

“We dismissed this case in the interest of justice,” Harris County (Texas) District Attorney’s Office chief of staff Vivian King said in a statement. “After looking at all the evidence, this was the right thing to do.”

The timing of the case always stunk to high heavens. Houston police revealed they didn’t start investigating the case until September 2017, seven months after the alleged incident. Earlier that same month, Bennett had gone public with claims of police brutality in Las Vegas.

I’m not saying that one had anything to do with the other, or that cops and prosecutors can be petty tyrants who would in a heartbeat try to make life miserable for someone as payback for speaking up about police brutality. I’m certainly not saying that Bennett’s lifelong outspokenness against racial injustice and judicial discrimination, nor his role as one of the most visible NFL players in the then-controversial protests during the National Anthem, would make cops so steaming mad that they’d gin up some bull#### charges against him. I’m definitely not saying that the timing of the indictment—days before the release of his book, Things That Make White People Uncomfortable—was similarly timed for reasons beyond the normal operation of the judicial system. I would never say that.

I’m just saying it was maybe a little strange that the police didn’t bother talking to Bennett the night of the alleged crime, when he was actually there, in Houston, in the building. And that it’s slightly odd that while there was surveillance video showing Bennett walking toward the field, there was apparently no video of the incident itself, which again, happened at the Super Bowl. And that the police chief is a real piece of work. 

More than a year ago, Bennett’s lawyer promised, “I’m going to say this with a smile and total confidence: they are going to change their mind.”

From the DA’s statement today:

“After looking at all the evidence and applying the law, a crime could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. There was probable cause to warrant a charge initially, but after a careful review of all the pre-charge and post-charge evidence, we cannot prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Weird!

That's an interesting spin on innocent until proven guilty.

I realize you aren't a jury, but a guy proclaims his innocence, the DA drops all charges against him, and that still isn't enough for you? Pretty high hurdle for the poor accused. 
I am not the one spinning.  There is nothing to suggest these charges were bogus.  This whole thread was started because Bennett lied about his treatment by the Las Vegas police which the national media and numerous posters on this forum jump on as proof of corrupt and bigotted police.  The video evidence proved Bennett was a liar.  And that went away.  Now Bennett may very well be innocent, but there was sufficent evidence against him for the DA to bring it to the grand jury and for the grand jury to indict.  The ladies arm got broke somehow, so there really is nothing bogus about this.  As far any people owing Bennett some kind of appology, that is a joke.  The liberal posters on the first 5 pages who condemed the Las Vegas police officiers are the ones who owe an appology.  

This sounds interesting.  Where have I heard that before?  Oh right, that little thread about something people call a hoax now.

This sounds interesting.  Where have I heard that before?  Oh right, that little thread about something people call a hoax now.
Not by me.  If people want to use Trump as an example of how they should behave, that is on them.

Dude, what are you talking about?

I am not the one spinning.  There is nothing to suggest these charges were bogus.  This whole thread was started because Bennett lied about his treatment by the Las Vegas police which the national media and numerous posters on this forum jump on as proof of corrupt and bigotted police.  The video evidence proved Bennett was a liar.  And that went away.  Now Bennett may very well be innocent, but there was sufficent evidence against him for the DA to bring it to the grand jury and for the grand jury to indict.  The ladies arm got broke somehow, so there really is nothing bogus about this.  As far any people owing Bennett some kind of appology, that is a joke.  The liberal posters on the first 5 pages who condemed the Las Vegas police officiers are the ones who owe an appology.  

Wait - these are Houston charges that were dropped.

Dropping Charges is not anywhere close to proving it was bogus.  HTH.  But I know it won't.  

This is all very confusing. So lets recap:

• I posted an article showing the Houston DA dropped charges against Bennett; 
  • You wrote that that doesn't mean Bennett didn't do it because he didn't prove he didn't do it; 
  • I wrote that position is a twist on "innocent until proven guilty" and puts a REALLY high standard on an accused; 
  • You said, "I know he did it. Look at the video from Vegas."
  • I wrote wait - I'm talking about the Houston charges.
  • You responded (snarkily) - dropping charges doesn't mean he didn't do it.
It appears, therefore, that because there's video of him in Vegas that you believe shows he committed a crime, that means he committed a crime in Houston too. Regardless of what he says or whether the DA dropped charges.

I think that is holding Bennett to a really high standard and would not hold him to that. 

I think that accurately summarizes our disagreement.

Dude, what are you talking about?
https://deadspin.com/grandstanding-houston-pd-chief-calls-michael-bennett-m-1824034509

Grandstanding Houston PD Chief Calls Michael Bennett "Morally Corrupt" In Bizarre Press Conference

Houston Police Department Chief Art Acevedo held a weird press conference this afternoon to address Michael Bennett’s indictment on felony assault charges and explain the case against him. Acevedo called Bennett “morally corrupt,” “morally bankrupt,” and said, “I think it’s pretty pathetic that you’d put your hands on a 66-year-old paraplegic and treat them like they don’t exist.”

This is all very confusing. So lets recap:

• I posted an article showing the Houston DA dropped charges against Bennett; 
  • You wrote that that doesn't mean Bennett didn't do it because he didn't prove he didn't do it; 
  • I wrote that position is a twist on "innocent until proven guilty" and puts a REALLY high standard on an accused; 
  • You said, "I know he did it. Look at the video from Vegas."
  • I wrote wait - I'm talking about the Houston charges.
  • You responded (snarkily) - dropping charges doesn't mean he didn't do it.
It appears, therefore, that because there's video of him in Vegas that you believe shows he committed a crime, that means he committed a crime in Houston too. Regardless of what he says or whether the DA dropped charges.

I think that is holding Bennett to a really high standard and would not hold him to that. 

I think that accurately summarizes our disagreement.
Your 'recap' stinks.  You completely left out what I was responding to, which was sequistion and his assertion that the charges were 'bogus' and that everyone needs to come forward and admit they were wrong.  Somehow you left that out of your 'summary'.  Then you completely LIE through your teeth by saying "I know he did it".  I never said that.  Not even close. 

Users who are viewing this thread