What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rashard Higgins (1 Viewer)

Crystalsteam99

Footballguy
Cleveland signed Higgins off of the practice squad last week. With Coleman out for a while and Britt back to being Britt again. What type of bids or waiver claims are people thinking about using on him. It makes me a little weary that this guy was on the practice squad and couldn't make the roster in week 1. I'd like to see another week of him,but by then it might be to late to get him a a good price, if he has another good game.He should lead the Browns in Targets,while Coleman is out.But what happens to his value when Coleman comes back?  Does anyone know much about him? I never watched a Colorado State game,....Every year players come out of nowhere,to help win Championships(You never know).He did produce against a top Defense,even if it was garbage time. I'd just like to know more about Higgins.

He was gross at colorado state. I remember that. Reminded me so much of Greg Jennings- skinny fast dude who caught everything with his hands and won routes everywhere. Didnt know how his size/speed would translate to the NFL> 

Last edited by a moderator:
He's lanky (6'1" 195) and slow (4.64 with a mediocre 7.13 3 cone) but has good receiving skills.  The problem with him so far probably isn't his ability so much as opportunity, which required both a qb change and Coleman injury.  If he keeps playing with Hogan, who shared a lot of second team reps with him, there might be something nice there.  More likely, kizer (who hit him on a long pass but missed him on a touchdown before leaving the game with a migraine) will be back and won't have as much chemistry with him. 

Here's a descriptive play by play

Had been holding him since I drafted him as a rookie right after the NFL draft.  I thought I had a legit gem in the rough on him because I was very familiar with his college work.  Finally grew tired of his inability to rise on a depth chart that provided tons of opportunity.  You look at what he had to pass to make the regular season roster and that he couldn't even show the coaching staff enough that they'd expose him in order to get him on the PS.

I don't know.  I just don't think his "it" factor has or will carry through into the bigs.  

This was my take as well.  Hogan peppered him with targets, but Kizer will not.
Is this true? I actually bothered to pull the play by play and I think the target split was actually like 6 from Kizer and 5 from Hogan. - Yes I did not watch the game...

The NFL just cracks me. Higgins was a 5th round pick with poor combine speed (4.64-40, fair?) who didn't make the opening day roster.... and yet is signed the Saturday before the game and now is supposed to be "the guy". He did great things at Col. State., including setting records (catches, rec yards and rec TDs). And of course once defenses "see" a player they account for him. 

This was my take as well.  Hogan peppered him with targets, but Kizer will not.
Looking at Kizer's play-by-play, I'm seeing 7 targets from Kizer to Higgins. He only threw 2 to Britt. Call me crazy, but I think Higgins could be the 2017 version of Tyrell Williams (not that their skills are the same, but fantasy production-wise) . Well, at least until Coleman comes back. I'd say he's got at least a 40% chance of playing his way into Britt's job by the time Coleman returns. 

I posted his poor combine stats yesterday hoping to dull the hype :devil: , but wanted to save this until waivers had run:

http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-rashard-higgins---never-tell-me-the-odds.html

Fwiw this is the (insanely hard to read) team depth chart that MK Cabot posted (and I guess this is it on the site):

Higgins -> Coates -> Reggie Davis

Britt -> Louis -> Kasen Williams

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Fwiw this is the (insanely hard to read) team depth chart that MK Cabot posted (and I guess this is it on the site):

Higgins -> Coates -> Reggie Davis

Britt -> Louis -> Kasen Williams
I saw that too.  Higgins is the slot receiver though, so it almost doesn't matter.  They go 3 WR a lot because they're constantly trailing.  I still think Louis and Britt play on the outside with Higgins in the slot.  Eventually Britt may end up replaced by Williams.

Would you say that the Cleveland organization Is good at evaluating and identifying WR talent?

can you use the selection of gordon in the supplemental draft and where they drafted Coleman as a leading indicator of their evaluation ability?

i know there is a lot in between indentifying talent and seeing successful execution on the field. So picking up Higgins may ultimately be a gut thing at this point with such thin data.

i have Higgins queued up as my 2nd waiver priority for this evening. May back off and see if I can get him first come first serve.

wow. that's almost incredible.

is there a chance he was hurt at the combine?
He probably wasn't hurt, but maybe he just didn't train for it specifically. I know some players go to camps just to get good at the combine tests. Or maybe he was having an off day. But the most important thing is that I've seen a study that found zero correlation between combine stats and NFL WR production. So it really doesn't concern me that much. I mean, look at Antonio Brown on there. Jarvis Landry is even worse... and with him being a slot guy, asked to make moves in space, I'd think athleticism would be more important but he seems to be doing fine. AJ Green and AR15 seem to get open deep just fine with their pedestrian 40 times. So this is all to say, I'm more concerned with route running and ball skills for WRs than their combine numbers.

JFS171 said:
I threw cursory bids at Higgins, but was predictably outbid in every league.  Got Louis for free.  We'll see what happens.
Same here. It's weird that the buzzy guys and guy with great preseason (Louis and Kasen Williams) are being ignored for a dude with average athleticism.

From the condensed game replay (purely to scout Higgins), Hogan scored the only points of the game, and used Higgins masterfully. Kizer turned the ball over repeatedly and was not as efficient to Higgins, aside from targets. Hogan connected with Higgins much more. It's unfortunate that Kizer will be starting next week (for Higgins owners).

I was really impressed with How Hogan stepped in and picked apart that BAL defense like it was a bunch of school kids, a team that shut down Kizer and sent him to the bench with migraines. I would feel a lot more confident with Higgins if Hogan started and played. Kizer, not so much.

From the condensed game replay (purely to scout Higgins), Hogan scored the only points of the game, and used Higgins masterfully. Kizer turned the ball over repeatedly and was not as efficient to Higgins, aside from targets. Hogan connected with Higgins much more. It's unfortunate that Kizer will be starting next week (for Higgins owners).

I was really impressed with How Hogan stepped in and picked apart that BAL defense like it was a bunch of school kids, a team that shut down Kizer and sent him to the bench with migraines. I would feel a lot more confident with Higgins if Hogan started and played. Kizer, not so much.
What? Am I missing something?

From the play-by-play:

Hogan (4 targets, 2 rec, 12 yards):

2 2:00 7 - 14 3rd-and-10 own 7 pass intended for Rashard Higgins incomplete

2 0:57 7 - 14 1st-and-10 own 48 pass complete to Rashard Higgins for 8 yards

2 0:51 7 - 14 2nd-and-2opp 44 pass complete to Rashard Higgins for 4 yards (first down)

2 0:30 7 - 14 1st-and-15opp 45 pass intended for Rashard Higgins intercepted

Kizer (7 targets, 5 rec, 83 yards):

1 3:01 0 - 7 3rd-and-18 own 17 pass complete to Rashard Higgins for 35 yards (first down)

2 11:280 - 7 3rd-and-10 own 26 pass complete to Rashard Higgins for 5 yards

4 14:22 10 - 24 1st-and-10 own 37 pass complete to Rashard Higgins for 28 yards (first down)

4 13:15 10 - 24 2nd-and-10 opp 30 pass complete to Rashard Higgins for 11 yards (first down)

4 11:47 10 - 24 2nd-and-7 opp 7 pass intended for Rashard Higgins intercepted

4 6:20 10 - 24 3rd-and-5 opp 44 pass intended for Rashard Higgins intercepted

4 1:49 10 - 24 2nd-and-20 opp 47 pass complete to Rashard Higgins for 4 yards

From SS&D's spreadsheet, snaps were:

• Higgins - 76%
  • Britt - 59%
  • Coleman - 54%
  • Lewis - 45%
I'm not saying Lewis is not worth a shot if he's available for free, but it sure appears Higgins is the better bet.

Mike Clay‏Verified account @MikeClayNFL  16m16 minutes ago

Browns Rashard Higgins Week 2 splits (targ-rec-yds):

w/ Kizer: 7-5-83 (23% of targ)

w/Hogan: 4-2-12 (36%)
Is this right? It goes against what's being said in this thread.

The only thing I'm positive on is that Kizer missed him in the end zone on what would have assuredly been a TD last week. God was that pass awful.

yeah I was wrong on that. I remember the corner TD pass and thought that was to Higgins. I was mistaken. Clearly I was bedazzled and distracted from Collins rushing...

I am pretty certain however that Hogan performed better than Kizer at QB, but Higgins did perform better with Kizer, as you have shown. Hogan came in and CLE started scoring. On 11 attempts Hogan moved the ball 118 yards (10.72 per attempt) and the offense scored 10 points in less than a quarter of play (Hogan came in with 7:12 left to play in the 2nd quarter and left with 9:25 left in the 3rd quarter). Kizer played more than 3 quarters and moved the ball 182 yards on 31 (5.87 ypa) attempts with 3 picks and not even 3 points scored on offense.

Now back to Higgins. That first incompletion from the 7 was a 37 yard pass that should have been caught by Higgins, nice pass. That would have been 49 yards to Higgins on 4 attempts by Hogan. Further if you extrapolate Higgins usage and factor in that Hogan was only in for 12:13 he peppered Higgins with targets and on a per minute basis targeted Higgins more often than Kizer (on pace for 19.7 targets to Higgins). Kizer targeted Higgins 7 times and played for 48:47 minutes, (on pace for 8.6 targets for the game)

In summary, you can't just focus on box scores. Higgins is targeted more than twice as much (19.7) by Hogan as Kizer (8.6) on a per game basis.

I wouldn't ignore Higgins over his mearsureables. His production in college is representative of WR's who have produced in the NFL. I do have to say, it sure seems like Louis has the higher ceiling here. Higgins volume last week makes it tough for me to ignore though. I would try to (which I know is impossible with most benches) to grab both of them and see what happens through the weekend. For all we know Britt could decide he wants to play football again.

He probably wasn't hurt, but maybe he just didn't train for it specifically. I know some players go to camps just to get good at the combine tests. Or maybe he was having an off day. But the most important thing is that I've seen a study that found zero correlation between combine stats and NFL WR production. So it really doesn't concern me that much. I mean, look at Antonio Brown on there. Jarvis Landry is even worse... and with him being a slot guy, asked to make moves in space, I'd think athleticism would be more important but he seems to be doing fine. AJ Green and AR15 seem to get open deep just fine with their pedestrian 40 times. So this is all to say, I'm more concerned with route running and ball skills for WRs than their combine numbers.

i'd like to read that. i get that the combine isn't a perfect tool for evaluating WRs, but i find it really hard to believe there's zero correlation. tools are tools and agility, speed, etc. are important qualities for a receiver. so if you can find it, i'd love to take a look at their methodology.

and yeah. he may have trained poorly for it or not trained much for it... 

antonio brown's looks a little more normal to me. lots of guys have ups and downs. but wow. never looked at landry's before! that's also very impressive. (he claimed an injury, though, for what it's worth... and considering the 0th percentile in a couple categories, he might not be lying.)

i'd like to read that. i get that the combine isn't a perfect tool for evaluating WRs, but i find it really hard to believe there's zero correlation. tools are tools and agility, speed, etc. are important qualities for a receiver. so if you can find it, i'd love to take a look at their methodology.

and yeah. he may have trained poorly for it or not trained much for it... 

antonio brown's looks a little more normal to me. lots of guys have ups and downs. but wow. never looked at landry's before! that's also very impressive. (he claimed an injury, though, for what it's worth... and considering the 0th percentile in a couple categories, he might not be lying.)
It was from a couple years ago, but I'll google around and see if I can find it again. Might've been paid FBG content for all I can recall. Like you, I was skeptical but the study was convincing.

I think Landry's numbers were pretty accurate. They didn't surprise any scouts and most players are smart enough to not do the combine if they are hurt.

Ok, I guess the part I should've highlighted was this quote from you:

1 hour ago, mnmplayer said:

Hogan used Higgins masterfully
Higgins had a key drop on a nice pass from Hogan that would have taken his stats to 3 catches for 49 yards on 4 targets with Hogan on the field. That was not Hogan's fault (from what I could see from the angle) so yes that is masterful usage for 12 minutes of play.

Do you want the guy that was on pace for targeting Higgins 19.7 times per game, scoring 10 points in less than a quarter of play vs the BAL D, moving the ball at a ypa of 10.72? Or the guy that was on pace for targeting Higgins 8.6 times per game, could not score, had a ypa of 5.87 and ended drives consistently with picks, scoring zilch vs the same D in over 3 quarters of play?

Based on targets, I'd choose Hogan, especially if you want Higgins to have a chance at catching a TD.

Higgins had a key drop on a nice pass from Hogan that would have taken his stats to 3 catches for 49 yards on 4 targets with Hogan on the field. That was not Hogan's fault (from what I could see from the angle) so yes that is masterful usage for 12 minutes of play.

Do you want the guy that was on pace for targeting Higgins 19.7 times per game, scoring 10 points in less than a quarter of play vs the BAL D, moving the ball at a ypa of 10.72? Or the guy that was on pace for targeting Higgins 8.6 times per game, could not score, had a ypa of 5.87 and ended drives consistently with picks, scoring zilch vs the same D in over 3 quarters of play?

Based on targets, I'd choose Hogan, especially if you want Higgins to have a chance at catching a TD.
I want the guy that has the best chance of successfully running the offense. But what I want doesn't really matter. Kizer is the guy and it appears he'll target Higgins enough to make him fantasy relevant.

Wow, both QBs were targeting the #### out of him. To a detriment on those awful picks.

Waivered him up last night for free in one league. Missed by $20 in another. I remember thinking he was a steal his draft year, but he was like the 4th WR the Browns drafted that year because they had something like 15 draft picks from turning over their roster in a new regime.

:ear to the ground:

Wow, both QBs were targeting the #### out of him. To a determint on those awful picks.

Waivered him up last night for free in one league. Missed by $20 in another. I remember thinking he was a steal his draft year, but he was like the 4th WR the Browns drafted that year because they had something like 15 draft picks from turning over their roster in a new regime.

:ear to the ground:
yeah its a little concerning that 3 of the 4 picks were on targets to Higgins. I wonder if they try to spread it out more next week. With Britt being the other WR, doubtful it's to him.

yeah its a little concerning that 3 of the 4 picks were on targets to Higgins. I wonder if they try to spread it out more next week. With Britt being the other WR, doubtful it's to him.
Which is why most are saying Louis starts and Higgins kicks to the slot.

Flashy stat line from today's game (2TDs).  Is there anything to see here long term?  I need to make an end of bench decision on this guy for a roster I just picked up.  Suspect he's just a guy, but I haven't been following closely.

The offseason moves pushed this guy down the depth chart some more. I've always liked him, but doesn't look like he'll get much of a chance in CLE.

having a great camp by all reports and now Coleman traded. Current WR depth chart

Landry

Gordon - MIA for now. Who knows with him

Callaway or Higgins - both having great camps

All aboard!  (Almost nobody left ?)

Browns fourth-round WR Antonio Callaway was cited for marijuana possession on Sunday morning.

Callaway was also driving with a suspended license when he was stopped at 2:59 AM. The amount of marijuana in Callaway's possesion was a "minor misdemeanor" under Ohio law, but that's not how the NFL is going to view it. Callaway failed a drug test at the Combine, and was only available in the fourth round thanks to a host of off-the-field issues at Florida. He's facing a league-mandated suspension. Callaway was also stopped the same day the Browns traded Corey Coleman. It's unclear if the Browns knew of Callaway's situation when they flipped Coleman to the Bills. The Browns' once-intriguing skill corps is rapidly thinning. For what it is worth, Callaway was still running with the 1s on Tuesday.

Any chance he plays this weekend? I know it was listed as a 2-4 week but he said he thought he could have played last week... 

my WR starved roster needs to know. :D  

PatMcManamon‏Verified account @PatMcManamon FollowFollow @PatMcManamon

Seems like WR Rashard Higgins again will be out. QB Baker Mayfield’s ankle is fine, Hue Jackson said. Damion Ratley should be OK. JC Tretter has an ankle that will be monitored. #Browns

11:53 AM - 15 Oct 2018

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PFF CLE Browns‏ @PFF_Browns FollowFollow @PFF_Browns

When Rashard Higgins left the lineup following WK5, the #Browns lost their most consistent deep threat. Higgins leads all qualifying WRs in deep-ball catch rate (83.3%), catching 5 of 6 deep targets (20+ yds) for 125 yards

7:27 AM - 17 Oct 2018

Scott Petrak of The Chronicle-Telegram confirms Rashard Higgins is the leading candidate to serve as the Browns' No. 3 receiver in Antonio Callaway's absence.

Callaway was recently hit with a four-game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy, opening the door for Higgins to start opposite Odell Beckham outside with Jarvis Landry settling in as Cleveland's primary slot receiver. Higgins has reportedly been a standout at Browns camp and was excellent in the team's preseason opener, nabbing five balls for 98 yards including a 24-yard touchdown from Baker Mayfield. If Higgins—who seems to have a strong rapport with Mayfield—continues to impress, he could become a permanent fixture in the Browns' passing game, even when Callaway eventually returns from suspension.

SOURCE: Brownszone.com

Aug 15, 2019, 12:21 PM ET

Rashard Higgins (knee) returned to a limited practice Wednesday.

Higgins sat out the Week 2 win over the Jets but is on the right track to return this week against the Rams Sunday night. With David Njoku (concussion) likely out, that could funnel a few more looks to the receivers. Higgins will be a WR4/5.

SOURCE: Pat McManamon on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 11:16 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread