What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Marvel's The Punisher -Netflix original series thread*** Canceled. No Season 3 :( (1 Viewer)

Finished this up finally.  Loved it but agree with others about the meh final episode, which was easily the worst episode of the season. Guessing Russo will have a miracle survival and recovery and be back in a subsequent season as a bionic man. :tinfoilhat:  

Finished this up finally.  Loved it but agree with others about the meh final episode, which was easily the worst episode of the season. Guessing Russo will have a miracle survival and recovery and be back in a subsequent season as a bionic man. :tinfoilhat:  
Not familiar with the comics but wasn't Russo the villian Jigsaw?

Canceled on Netflix but won't Disney still make it for Disney+?
They're saying that Disney is thinking about rebooting some of the shows, but Netflix has to own some of the rights to these shows.  So while Disney can use the characters, they'd have to make the shows different than what's on Netflix. Unless Netflix is selling their rights to Disney.

ugh the Disney Plus service sounds pretty terrible to be honest. Plus I’m a little annoyed they squashed all the Marvel content on Netflix.

They're saying that Disney is thinking about rebooting some of the shows, but Netflix has to own some of the rights to these shows.  So while Disney can use the characters, they'd have to make the shows different than what's on Netflix. Unless Netflix is selling their rights to Disney.
Buzzkill.

Finished S2 last night.  Thought it was a fair drop off from S1.  Maybe just me, though because my son still loved it. 

First 2 episodes were money.   I was fully on board. Thought it lost it's way in the middle episodes and ended with a flurry of violence and totally unbelievable  outcomes in the end.  I won't spoil it but the recovery powers of some of these people is off the charts.  Also, you'd think after 1000 rounds that maybe one would hit the target even if you were just randomly shooting. anyway, nit picky but for some crazy reason I don't remember the holes as much is S1. 

It's definitely not in my top 5 marvel series but most definitely in the top 10 (which isn't saying al that much). Would watch S3 if by some miracle there is a S3.

Curious what other think. @Nathan R. Jessep? @snogger

eta, still think Bernthal was made for this role.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not reading yet as I am only half way through.. I am enjoying it so far.. Just finished the episode of the beat down at the Russian Weight lifting club :boxing:

I agree that it was not as good as season 1 and that human beings can't take all the punishment given out and live. But I still enjoyed it and the kid who was annoying at first definitely grows on you.

Just finished up Season 2 ... Not as great as Season 1, but still very, very good. Kept my interest throughout.

Loved watching the Senator finding out who his parents really were (not protecting him, they were ashamed of him) and the way Frank and the Girl resolved it was a nice touch.

The Lady psychiatrist bugged the bleep out of me.
I get it, she was messed up and wanted to "free the bird".. But how many times does some need to come within inches of killing you to make you walk away..

Enjoyed Russo getting what he deserved.. Frank getting to exact the revenge he deserved was good touch.

There are always things to nitpick ( it is Marvel after all, so being able to take multiple hits to the head with chains and Propane tanks and still walk are to be expected) but I REALLY hated the extremely lazy writing on how John found Frank's trailer..

Hijack Homeland Security Car, bring up GPS and there, plain as day, are directions to a Fugitive's hideout. :wall:

All in all, glad I've watched both season..
With Disney grabbing Marvel top their own, it's hard to tell if there will be a season 3 as Netflix hasn't completely ruled it out yet.. Just not sure how that would work for licensing..

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
Finished S2 last night.  Thought it was a fair drop off from S1.  Maybe just me, though because my son still loved it. 

First 2 episodes were money.   I was fully on board. Thought it lost it's way in the middle episodes and ended with a flurry of violence and totally unbelievable  outcomes in the end.  I won't spoil it but the recovery powers of some of these people is off the charts.  Also, you'd think after 1000 rounds that maybe one would hit the target even if you were just randomly shooting. anyway, nit picky but for some crazy reason I don't remember the holes as much is S1.

It's definitely not in my top 5 marvel series but most definitely in the top 10 (which isn't saying al that much). Would watch S3 if by some miracle there is a S3.

Curious what other think. @Nathan R. Jessep? @snogger

eta, still think Bernthal was made for this role.
Oh, they were there.. Many, many times in S1 I'd sit there and think.. Yea, sure.. Take that and keep walking :rolleyes: ..

But in the end, you realize this is Marvel and have to just roll with it.

Love this show. Through first 3 episodes I expect it to go downhill as they cram Russo and church guy and whatever is going on all together. Still taking it one beer at a time. 

Love this show. Through first 3 episodes I expect it to go downhill as they cram Russo and church guy and whatever is going on all together. Still taking it one beer at a time. 
Having two completely different story lines going on at the same time gets frustrating at times..
At a point it feels like they forgot about one story line as they concentrate on the other.. Then seems like the producer/director has a :doh: moment and hurries to get us caught up on the other one.

First episode was incredible. Everything after that was borderline unwatchable. I still liked some moments here and there, but it was mostly laughable.

The small town cops arrested Frank for 10+ murders and rather than turn him into the Feds, they hide it to keep him at their little Podunk station? What? How does that make any sense whatsoever? Just because "it's our town", you keep your arrest of this mass murderer a secret?

The Preacher and Jigsaw were truly terrible enemies for the Punisher. The way they hyped up Jigsaw behind the mask, I thought he was going to look like a complete monster...something really disturbing. When they finally reveal his mangled face...ok, so he's the exact same guy as season 1 with a few facial scars and memory loss? What a complete letdown. And the Preacher was just a tired re-hash of the same old "scary religious guy" from other shows over the past 5 years. I thought the stories for both baddies had some awesome potential, but both ended up being huge letdowns.

The story, the writing, the logic behind seemingly every single decision made by every character...truly terrible.

With that said, I liked some parts here and there. Some action scenes were decent, Shane plays a good Punisher, and the final fight with the Preacher was interesting despite being ridiculous.

I had some really high hopes here. All of the Netflix Marvel universe really went down the toilet after the first season or two of Daredevil though.

Verdict: Terrible, but not as terrible as The Defenders.

First episode was incredible. Everything after that was borderline unwatchable. I still liked some moments here and there, but it was mostly laughable.

The small town cops arrested Frank for 10+ murders and rather than turn him into the Feds, they hide it to keep him at their little Podunk station? What? How does that make any sense whatsoever? Just because "it's our town", you keep your arrest of this mass murderer a secret?

The Preacher and Jigsaw were truly terrible enemies for the Punisher. The way they hyped up Jigsaw behind the mask, I thought he was going to look like a complete monster...something really disturbing. When they finally reveal his mangled face...ok, so he's the exact same guy as season 1 with a few facial scars and memory loss? What a complete letdown. And the Preacher was just a tired re-hash of the same old "scary religious guy" from other shows over the past 5 years. I thought the stories for both baddies had some awesome potential, but both ended up being huge letdowns.

The story, the writing, the logic behind seemingly every single decision made by every character...truly terrible.

With that said, I liked some parts here and there. Some action scenes were decent, Shane plays a good Punisher, and the final fight with the Preacher was interesting despite being ridiculous.

I had some really high hopes here. All of the Netflix Marvel universe really went down the toilet after the first season or two of Daredevil though.

Verdict: Terrible, but not as terrible as The Defenders.
Thought the Russo angle went on too long and the Messed up Doctor had me ranting a few times.. But at least we, and Frank, got a satisfied ending to that one.

The Preacher angle.. Felt the reasoning, before his wife died, of doing the killing for the old man was an after thought for the writers. Should have been more to it then the reason given.
Mentioned it previously that the lazy writing of how the Preacher found Frank's trailer was beyond ridiculous.

Loved Season 1 and will probably re-watch that season again at some point.. I still enjoyed S2, but have no desire to re-watch it.
Saying that... I'll take Season 2 of the Punisher over Season 1 of Luke Cage and The Defenders and I hope they find a way to do a season 3. :popcorn:

No kidding. The Punisher was rubbing his face up and down on shards of glass like a cheese grater and that is all that happened to the guy? Billy Russo/Jigsaw acting was painful. I was laughing out loud at his performance. If his face wasn't mangled why even have the guy recite muffled lines behind a mask?. Dude needed closed captioning. Sloppy, boring writing. They crammed a bunch of storylines together and they were disjointed and I just never cared about any of them. After watching 8 painful episodes I just fast forwarded the rest to the fight scenes, and even those weren't that great.

This is I believe the very last Marvel show to ever be on Netflix. Disney is money grabbing by opening their own service and may or may not reboot some of these franchises. I’ll watch them...in Terrarium.

Dr. Octopus said:
Is there even 10 Marvel series?
Good point lol. Was a pretty stupid comment on my part. I was thinking seasons tho, So 2 JJ, 2 LC, 3 DD, 1 Defenders, 2 Punisher, 2 IF. So there are 10, but looking at the list I would have to say I'd probably have it 6th behind

JJ1, all 3 DD, Punisher S1 all ahead of it. Maybe even Defenders but I don't really remember Defenders much now.

Definitely a step down from Season 1, but despite the TIRED Russo story line, it held my attention and had decent suspenseful moments, IMO. Was hoping Frank would make it back to the bar chick from the first episode. :kicksrock:

Too much of Russo and the doctor scenes, kinda of think they didn’t have his face really scared up was because they didn’t want him too disfigured in order to have the doctor attracted to him.   But overall I was entertained and enjoyed season 2.  Look forward to a third season, not likely though, I almost think the reason they had 2 different storylines for this season was because the writers don’t think they are going to be given a third season.

I know a lot of people didn’t like it as much, but s2 was perfect in my opinion.  It was Punisher War Journal brought to live action. Yes, it was over the top and an unrealistic amount of punishment for a human being to take but... yeah.  That’s what Punisher and PWJ were. 

I know a lot of people didn’t like it as much, but s2 was perfect in my opinion.  It was Punisher War Journal brought to live action. Yes, it was over the top and an unrealistic amount of punishment for a human being to take but... yeah.  That’s what Punisher and PWJ were. 
I enjoyed S2, but nearly as much as S1.. I don't think many disliked it due to the "Over the top" punishment.. It was the 2 story lines crammed into one season that got irritating at points.

Easily could have had the season be about the business/Russia/politician angle and left the Russo part as a small side story..
I agree with the poster above that there was too much time spent on the Russo story line, when there was much more they could have done with the other story line.

Hoping Netflix figures out a way to get a season 3 in. :popcorn:

Jigsaw definitely wasn't disfigured enough.  I kind of expected them to end it with Castle tearing his face up even worse and leaving him alive again. 

Jigsaw definitely wasn't disfigured enough.  I kind of expected them to end it with Castle tearing his face up even worse and leaving him alive again. 
That I agree with.  Saw an interview with the actor and the producers convinced him to stay pretty and make it about “the scars inside.”  

Thought it was well done for a comic book series.  Thousands of bullets, insane amounts of  physical blunt force trauma, shootouts in the middle of NYC without Homeland Security showing up en masse aside........it was nice because the overall goals/motivations of everyone were small.  There wasn't a "IF THE PUNISHERS DOESN"T SAVE THE DAY THE WORLD WILL BLOW UP" silliness to it....just fairly realistic, personal motivation to the characters that the rest of the world would be oblivious to.

I thought Russo should have been a bit more scarred......but after seeing Dominic West in Punisher War Zone....the idea of "internal" scars is better.

This is I believe the very last Marvel show to ever be on Netflix. Disney is money grabbing by opening their own service and may or may not reboot some of these franchises. I’ll watch them...in Terrarium.
Why is this money grabbing? This, IMO, gives the TV or serialized shows, the same Marvel control as they do over the MCU. Honestly, I'd rather have Marvel, and specifically Feige, running point than some other studio.

they have talked about the budget for this show in particular was not great. I imagine Berenthal and the actors got 80% of it, so special effects were low on the list.

the one that cracked me up was in the final episode (I think, maybe the one before it). it was after Frank got beat up for the 100th time. he had cuts all over him, and the one cut on the side of his face was just an X. I have seen cuts forever, and have never seen anybody with a cut that looks like an X. 

they have talked about the budget for this show in particular was not great. I imagine Berenthal and the actors got 80% of it, so special effects were low on the list.

the one that cracked me up was in the final episode (I think, maybe the one before it). it was after Frank got beat up for the 100th time. he had cuts all over him, and the one cut on the side of his face was just an X. I have seen cuts forever, and have never seen anybody with a cut that looks like an X. 
I thoroughly enjoyed both seasons.  I tend to have the ability to suspend the disbelief pretty well and just enjoy it.  But, I agree.  Not necessarily "cringe worthy," but there were several parts that could have been better. 

I thoroughly enjoyed both seasons.  I tend to have the ability to suspend the disbelief pretty well and just enjoy it.  But, I agree.  Not necessarily "cringe worthy," but there were several parts that could have been better. 
yeah I enjoyed both. watching TV series based on comics I am fine suspending belief and enjoying it for what it is, so when Frank gets beat up like 5 times a day and is still walking I am able to enjoy it.

it's funny because I am not sure where the lines are when it comes to these things. I know I will watch the Walking Dead until they take it off the air, but man the writing for that show has done it so much injustice it has been a travesty.

Users who are viewing this thread