What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Mass Casualty Event" in Las Vegas (2 Viewers)

Can't believe he was able to cause so many casualties from so far away 
400-500 yards shooting indiscriminately into a crowd of 20,000 people     its surprising he didn't kill/injure more.      he shot for 10 minutes.       400-500 yards isn't that far for a large caliber rifle

If you truly hate the people you killed it would seem you would want to be alive to see the destruction and pain that you caused.  Killing yourself seems like MI and fame/attention thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I di not know that about you.  I imagine you have some stories.
i worked at harrahs in college.   its basically like being a bartender and serving the same alcoholics every day.   but then you get some new people in friday/sat/sun  then go back to the same losers at the bar the rest of the week.  rinse/repeat.   fairly depressing actually

The only thing I find numbing right now is the comments from police that nothing seems out of the ordinary for this shooter, except of course for the roughly 20 weapons in his house and at the hotel.

So, an arsenal of semi & automatic weapons is no longer out of the ordinary? 

i worked at harrahs in college.   its basically like being a bartender and serving the same alcoholics every day.   but then you get some new people in friday/sat/sun  then go back to the same losers at the bar the rest of the week.  rinse/repeat.   fairly depressing actually
Yes, dealing craps is the same.  It's nice when a dad is sitting at the table.  His kids tell him they are hungry.  Mom brings them to the restaurant, kids come back and ask him what he wants to drink.  Then later what does he want to eat.  And so forth....

The only thing I find numbing right now is the comments from police that nothing seems out of the ordinary for this shooter, except of course for the roughly 20 weapons in his house and at the hotel.

Lot's of people have lots of guns.

Submachine guns, which they are suspecting is what was used and what is heard in the videos being posted everywhere, and other fully automatic weapons cannot be purchased legally by civilians.

From that nbcnews link posted above:
 Submachine guns previously had to be registered with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), but since 1986, a federal law prohibits their sale or transfer to civilians. They are available on the black market, however.
 It is my understanding that even you and I can go buy a fully automatic machine gun today, provided it was made before 1986.  They cost tens of thousands of dollars but they are legally attainable by civilians. 

New fully automatic machine guns made after 1986 are not available to citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't yet seen a list of what weapons were found, but an arsenal of semi-automatic weapons is not out of the ordinary for hunters, collectors and shooting enthusiasts. But of course, any fully automatic weapons would be illegal, and I'd think should fall in the "out of the ordinary" category. 

there's 40 men in my office  i think there's at least 5 that have an "arsenal".    

also, cops themselves tend to be gun guys so for that cop to say that doesn't surprise me.      i mean isn't there some stat that we have over 300 million guns in this country?  

It is my understanding that even you and I can go buy a fully automatic machine gun today, provided it was made before 1986.  They cost tens of thousands of dollars but they are legally attainable by civilians. 

That could be correct, but is not the way I understood it. I will try to find what I read earlier again. 

there's 40 men in my office  i think there's at least 5 that have an "arsenal".    

also, cops themselves tend to be gun guys so for that cop to say that doesn't surprise me.      i mean isn't there some stat that we have over 300 million guns in this country?  
what does one do with 10-20 semi rifles?  I am not a gun guy, I have shot clays and at a range down here as part of an outing.  I suppose to many it's the same as any other hobby?

yahoo.   obviously bs.   but  thats what you get in the first hour or two after something like this.

regardless, at this point i'm debating whether i'll go down there this weekend or not.  Not real excited about going to vegas right now.   also what the #### compelled somme guy to open fire on a concert?   story makes no sense at all
I'm headed there Weds. And while there will be a different feel because of this incident, I won't let this guy take something from me. The best thing we can do, is live our lives. I will probably tip a little more than usual and appreciate what and who I have a little more as well. 

I compare it to car accidents or plane crashes. I don't stop doing those things. Millions of people visit Vegas every year without incident. If it's my time to go, regardless of of cause, it's my time to go. 

400-500 yards shooting indiscriminately into a crowd of 20,000 people     its surprising he didn't kill/injure more.      he shot for 10 minutes.       400-500 yards isn't that far for a large caliber rifle
I told my wife this at lunch when I heard about the size of the crowd. Spraying down a crowd that can't move is fish in a barrel.

I'm numb this morning.  This was 15 minutes from my home.  I think I slept 30 minutes.  I was getting updates from a lady that works for me - her kid is a cop that is stationed on the strip and he was giving her updates.  I heard 20 had died when the media was saying it was only 2.  And now 50 (probably a little higher).

My friend was at that concert, but she made it out ok.

I don't know if I am in shock or jaded to these events now.  Either way, I don't feel right...
Glad you are safe GB. 

I haven't yet seen a list of what weapons were found, but an arsenal of semi-automatic weapons is not out of the ordinary for hunters, collectors and shooting enthusiasts. But of course, any fully automatic weapons would be illegal, and I'd think should fall in the "out of the ordinary" category. 
no.   they are legal if you have the proper federal approval.  It takes a year or more and it costs thousands of dollars, not including the cost of the gun itself being in the tens of thousands usually.

what is illegal is possessing a fully auto weapon without the legal authority.   Also, converting a semi- auto to fully auto is illegal, even though its possible.

No it is pretty ####### weird to most people in the US.

Thanks for the correction... I had indeed misunderstood what I read. This article lays it out much more clearly. 

Speculation on Reddit is that the guns used were normal semi-automatic guns being either "bump fired" or heavily modified. 

Also, if he was in a corner suite, it would certainly be possible to access both of those windows.

Yes, dealing craps is the same.  It's nice when a dad is sitting at the table.  His kids tell him they are hungry.  Mom brings them to the restaurant, kids come back and ask him what he wants to drink.  Then later what does he want to eat.  And so forth....
during a cross-country trip with a gb, turned out my dad was in vegas with his gb (and super-high roller gambling addict- so much so, they'd even fly my low-stakes dad in to gamble, setting them up in suites bigger than my parents' house and comping meals everywhere and setting them up with front row/best-seats in the house for any show they wanted).

one of my favorite memories with my dad (RIP) was this trip- my dad taught me how to shoot craps (I was 21 or 22) and I knew exactly how fun it was for him to share it with me. he had me just play the pass line ($2 !)... and I remember the very first time I had the dice I just rolled and rolled, super hot. my dad's gb always played the don't pass... I wont something like $20- my dad's gb lost in the thousands. a little conflicted about that, but screw him for playing against his best friend's kid. my dad had a blast with it. 

I miss you dad. 

during a cross-country trip with a gb, turned out my dad was in vegas with his gb (and super-high roller gambling addict- so much so, they'd even fly my low-stakes dad in to gamble, setting them up in suites bigger than my parents' house and comping meals everywhere and setting them up with front row/best-seats in the house for any show they wanted).

one of my favorite memories with my dad (RIP) was this trip- my dad taught me how to shoot craps (I was 21 or 22) and I knew exactly how fun it was for him to share it with me. he had me just play the pass line ($2 !)... and I remember the very first time I had the dice I just rolled and rolled, super hot. my dad's gb always played the don't pass... I wont something like $20- my dad's gb lost in the thousands. a little conflicted about that, but screw him for playing against his best friend's kid. my dad had a blast with it. 

I miss you dad. 
You play the don’t pass line you get everything you deserve.

Speculation on Reddit is that the guns used were normal semi-automatic guns being either "bump fired" or heavily modified. 

Also, if he was in a corner suite, it would certainly be possible to access both of those windows.
You can turn a semi auto AK47 into fully auto with only plastic zip tie. 

For or those who don't know what "bump firing" is- it's one of two things:

(searching YouTube for bump fire will be easier than understanding my explanations below)

1) you can use the recoil of the gun to force itself back and forth very rapidly while holding a solid object or even your finger stiffly- it's highly inaccurate. 

2) They now make gun stocks with springlike mechanisms that replicated what I typed above. The gun fires, recoils back towards your shoulder, the spring in the stock forces the gun forward and so forth. 

Can't believe he was able to cause so many casualties from so far away 
poor people were sitting ducks

no cover, no way to get out of his view quickly enough it seems.
My GF had co-workers there that were hit and are in surgery.

One of the co-worker's son was hit in the arm and it went totally through his body and struck an artery or something and that's going to take a few surgeries to repair.

How can we do this when we live in an era of fake news?  What is fact?  What is conjecture?  
Do your due diligence.
:goodposting:

it's not that hard. 

when these kind of nutjob stories are actually sourced, they're usually from only one source that's dubious at best.... and then all the media outlets keep quoting the same source. and usually it's the same less than reputable outlets too.

but it's crazy to me that people actively want to jump to these kind of conclusions... that it somehow makes more sense of this giant conspiracy with people dumping the guy's body in there and messing with CC footage than for it to just be a random guy with a lot of guns (certainly lots of those) who cracks.

why would you think we were much better than anything?
Because you and I have been here since 2000.  And while I know we're an afflicted bunch, we were and I hope still are a good bunch.  The things we've done in the past to rally together and help each other out speaks volumes about our collective character.

So I know we're better than this.  We aren't 'truthers'.  We're not the message board that thought Sandy Hook was fraudulent.  We don't think 9/11 was an inside job.  And we sure as hell aren't going to be the message board that suggests what happened in Las Vegas was perpetuated by anybody other than a deranged maniac.  

This news destroys my soul. I will never understand how a species that can create such beautiful wonder, that can love, support and sacrifice for those it doesn't even know, is capable of such horrific things. All of my love to those of you personally effected. 
Don't lose faith SB. It's a very small percentage of bad that overshadows the mountain of good that is in this world. This is something the media fails at. Not enough coverage of good things in this world. It just doesn't sell newspapers.

The gunman considered himself a professional gambler and NBC reported he had made several large bets recently. Very possible the room was comped by the hotel.

what does one do with 10-20 semi rifles?  I am not a gun guy, I have shot clays and at a range down here as part of an outing.  I suppose to many it's the same as any other hobby?
usually just collectors, mostly hunters in my experience.   I've met exactly one complete gun nutter in my life, he was always afraid the #### was about to go down and had 40 guns hidden all over his house.   He was the conspiracy guy that believed the gov't was up to no good.

the vast vast vast majority of gun guys are hunters/shooters that just like guns and like to hunt/shoot

Three or four night would run at least 5000, maybe 10+. 
Not really, I could get one bigger than that for free sometimes and the most 400 a night. 
I know none of this is really relevant to the guy questioning whether there actually rooms this "big" that would have 2 windows spaced that far apart, but...

my dad's gb (from my previous post) never paid for a thing. even my dad didn't have to pay for a thing when he went to vegas- just because of his association with his gb.

but again- irrelevant to these things existing and that the spacing of the windows adds to some kind of idiotic theory that this guy wasn't alone. they exist. and are often on the higher floors.

usually just collectors, mostly hunters in my experience.   I've met exactly one complete gun nutter in my life, he was always afraid the #### was about to go down and had 40 guns hidden all over his house.   He was the conspiracy guy that believed the gov't was up to no good.

the vast vast vast majority of gun guys are hunters/shooters that just like guns and like to hunt/shoot
there are collectors here in the FFA, aren't there? I could see a collector amassing 20+ guns pretty quickly.

They just mentioned that the suspected shooters father was, at one point in the 1970s, on the FBI's most wanted list for being a bank robber who had escaped from prison. 

Users who are viewing this thread