What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (1 Viewer)

Does a 725-4; 65-605-4 stat-line seemed realistic to you?

I agree that his receiving yards will go down. Personally I think Tyrod Taylor is a terrible QB and while I do like the rookie, I'm not sure he'll take the league by storm right away. I do think he'll see an uptick in rushing. Those projections but him at RB 10 in ppr (in my projections/rankings) right now. I think he can drop in receiving and still be a good fantasy asset. I don't currently own him in dynasty but wouldn't mind grabbing him at the end of Round 2 in redraft.
I haven't done any projections, but I think that stat line is probably a reasonable best case. By reasonable best case, I don't mean absolute ceiling, I mean that if he stays healthy and the important teammates around him stay healthy (e.g., OL, QB), that is a reasonable projection. I might project a few more receptions but lower YPR, so it largely washes out.

Is Tyrod Taylor bad news for the fantasy outlooks of Austin Ekeler, Hunter Henry, and Keenan Allen?

Excerpt:

Austin Ekeler showed off his dual-threat ability en route to a 6th-place fantasy finish among RBs in 2019. He’s currently being drafted in the middle of the second round — do you think this ADP is just right for him in 2020, too high, or too low?

Liz: As Ekeler himself so savagely pointed out, he is not the prototypical RB1. While he’s only averaged about eight carries per game in back-to-back seasons, his work via the air has significantly boosted his production. Per PFF, he managed the highest receiving grade among RBs (94.3) and 126 receiving yards (RB2) on receptions of 20+ yards downfield in 2019. The question becomes whether Ekeler will see as many looks without Philip Rivers (who looked to his RBs at a rate of 26%) under center. 

The likely answer, given Tyrod Taylor’s history and Justin Herbert’s game tape, is that he will not. As the 13th RB coming off the board, however, his value as a low-end RB1/high-end RB2 is perfectly acceptable given his explosive potential and reduced passing opportunities. He may not see 90+ looks, but he’ll draw close to 65, which is solid given his ADP. 

Scott: I think the draft value is reasonable. The drop from Rivers to Taylor hurts, especially when we consider the style of those quarterbacks; Ekeler likely will lose a bucketful of Rivers dump-offs. But Ekeler is a remarkable talent as a receiver and a true student of that element of the game; he runs more diverse routes than the average back. I am not necessarily targeting Ekeler in my drafts, but I will not run away from him, either.

Dalton: He was in the bottom-10 in rushing DVOA last year and will no longer have Philip Rivers constantly checking down to him (Tyrod Taylor and Justin Herbert both bring concerns as replacements), so his ADP is a bit high for me. Ekeler is a good football player, and Melvin Gordon is gone, so he’ll be plenty valuable in PPR formats, but his BMI is in the 33rd percentile, and the Chargers’ offense should struggle with a rookie QB and one of the league’s worst offensive lines. Don’t pay for last year’s (awesome) receiving stats.

Does Justin Jackson have any value to Ekeler owners?
Jackson's role in the offense is yet undefined.  He has shown flashes of being a very good back, but with the addition of Joshua Kelley, it is uncertain if Jackson is even the handcuff to own in the Chargers' backfield, and I do not expect either Jackson or Kelley to assume Gordon's share in what may be a reduced offense.  If Jackson is available on your waiver wire, he is worth a speculative add and hold, regardless of whether you own Ekeler, but I doubt Jackson will fetch you much on the trade market.  If I owned any shares of Jackson, I would likely hold to assess his early-season usage, and in the event of an Ekeler injury, you could find yourself with a valuable asset.

Wouldn't that then result in more rushing attempts which would also benefit Ekeler?
Unless it means more punts and "winning with defense and a 4th quarter FG" attitude. A receding tide lowers all boats in terms of offensive production. The only charger I would have any interest in this season is Hunter Henry. That's not because I think he's an unstoppable force but because he is likely the receiver most likely to be schemed to get open and Taylor throws most often to a wide open guy.

That isn't meant as Taylor-hate btw, the chargers might end up winning more than they did last season if the defense plays to their full potential and they are more likely to win the TO battle each week. I definitely think they have a better chance at being a .500 team this year but less of a chance of making the playoffs. If you were a die hard charger fan(or the other one for that matter) maybe getting back to .500 seems like a worthy goal. Until the spanos-virus has been exorcised from the league you probably shouldn't expect much more from this franchise no matter where they move it to next.

hispeedthinmint said:
I ask b/c he will be  a drop for me & was hoping I could entice the Ekeler owner
I own him in a 22 roster league, and I would rather have the roster spot,  but I have a good team.  I do think Jackson should win the back up job, but I could see Kelley winning it.  If my team was thinner I might pay a 3rd. 

hispeedthinmint said:
I ask b/c he will be  a drop for me & was hoping I could entice the Ekeler owner
Maybe you get a cuff for your team or a third round rookie pick next year?  I would wait to see how they are using him if you can’t get a useful cuff back or a third at least. Start by asking for a second then settle on a third I guess. 

Just read this at the Athletic:

The percentage of Tyrod Taylor targets that went to running backs when he was the Bills’ quarterback from 2015 to 2017. That ranked 25th league-wide. As a point of reference, the Chargers were first in percentage of targets to running backs last season (11.4 percent). The discrepancy makes Austin Ekeler a tough player to project. Ekeler totaled 1,550 yards from scrimmage last season, including 993 receiving yards. He averaged 3.06 yards per route run. That was second, league-wide, and a higher rate than every wide receiver (only George Kittle was better). But quarterbacks like Taylor, who can run, are less likely to check it down and more likely to scramble themselves. Ekeler has big upside but also carries more risk than some of the backs that will be drafted in the first couple rounds.

We all know Rivers had a huge crush on Ekeler...if you were to wild guess what % of Ekeler targets would you say were designed Ekeler plays vs. Rivers knowing exactly where he was on his 2nd-4th read?
No idea. This PFF article says Rivers had 121 checkdowns in 2018-19. I assume the majority of those were to Gordon and Ekeler, but they combined for 282 targets in 2018-19, so checkdowns must have been less than half of those targets.

Scared to death of this guy.

The T. Taylor data on dumpoffs is troubling. Also, Rivers and Ekeler had quite the thing going. Watching those games, I was always amazed at the timing on Rivers throws to Ekeler on wheel routes, etc. Impeccable timing. I just don't see Taylor and Ekeler having that timing.

Also feel like this team could be a bit of a train wreck.

I'm avoiding at current ADP.

The T. Taylor data on dumpoffs is troubling. Also, Rivers and Ekeler had quite the thing going. Watching those games, I was always amazed at the timing on Rivers throws to Ekeler on wheel routes, etc. Impeccable timing. I just don't see Taylor and Ekeler having that timing.

Agreed. I've had Ekeler on a team somewhere everywhere the last few years, but am not buying at this year's ADP, largely because I do not trust his QB to get him the ball consistently.  It's not as simple as dumping off a screen to a guy behind the line of scrimmage and then him making magic. So many of those big players Ekeler made in the passing game, like you said, were when Rivers hit him in stride on a wheel route or something like that.  That kind of timing and chemistry was amazing, and if it's off just a little with Taylor or the rookie, Ekeler's numbers will plummet.

Agreed. I've had Ekeler on a team somewhere everywhere the last few years, but am not buying at this year's ADP, largely because I do not trust his QB to get him the ball consistently.  It's not as simple as dumping off a screen to a guy behind the line of scrimmage and then him making magic. So many of those big players Ekeler made in the passing game, like you said, were when Rivers hit him in stride on a wheel route or something like that.  That kind of timing and chemistry was amazing, and if it's off just a little with Taylor or the rookie, Ekeler's numbers will plummet.
Yup. It also would kill me in that I am taking the above risk knowing last year I got him in round 8.

Just can't do it this year.

Yup. It also would kill me in that I am taking the above risk knowing last year I got him in round 8.

Just can't do it this year.
Agreed. Feels like the classic case of a guy constantly being awesome value in drafts, and then the year he finally gets drafted high, he underperforms.

I’m with you a 1,000%. Say what you want about Rivers but he stretched the field by taking shots and had great touch on dump offs. Ekeler will sorely miss him in the passing game. The whole offense will be. Boring. 

the tyrod passing data is definitely noteworthy, thanks for sharing. i also think it's worth considering that ekeler had to share the load the 2nd half of the year with a largely ineffective melvin gordon. during gordon holdout ekeler had 75% of the snaps to 50% once gordon returned. i dont see a real threat to AE's carries behind him so i would expect him to be closer to 75% snap count. im really hoping he'll be there at 2.04

AUSTIN EKELER RB, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

The Athletic's Daniel Popper said Austin Ekeler, Justin Jackson, and Joshua Kelley could all see rush attempts and targets in the Chargers' offensive attack. 

Popper called the trio a "formidable three-headed running back attack," adding that "all will get opportunities in both the running game and passing game." That seems like a stretch, unless the Chargers are going to use Ekeler -- who they signed to a four-year deal in March -- as a change-of-pace back. Jackson should see fairly consistent usage as a rusher though, as Ekeler only saw 36 percent of the team's rush attempts in 2019 and his role isn't expected to change drastically in 2020. Jackson and Kelley splitting carries behind Ekeler would cancel out both backs as usable fantasy players unless Ekeler misses time. 

RELATED: 

Justin Jackson

, Joshua Kelley

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Sep 3, 2020, 2:19 PM ET

Nine 2020 fantasy football takes I believe with the utmost conviction

Excerpt:

1) People will wonder for years why Austin Ekelerwasn’t a top-10-ranked RB going into 2020

The Chargers offense has to be one of the most overanalyzed units I can remember in my time writing about football. An outfit stocked with quality players, no turnover at head coach or offensive coordinator, and is making what, at worst, might be a lateral move at quarterback is being wildly discounted.

No player more so than Austin Ekeler.

It’s difficult to imagine a scenario where Ekeler doesn’t push for 800 rushing and receiving yards in 2020. Do people really expect his passing game role to just evaporate? That’s wild.

Of course, rushing quarterbacks like Tyrod Taylor don’t dump it off to running backs as much as statue passers, but Ekeler isn’t some typical running back. This is a player who saw more slot snaps than all but four backs last year. A player who drew a target on 28 percent of those snaps. A player who lined up even more frequently as an outside wide receiver than he did in the slot. A player who has posted double-digit yards-per-catch figures in all three of his seasons, he is one of just three running backs to average over 10 yards per catch over the last three seasons (minimum 100 targets).

Honestly, he might be second only to Christian McCarrey in terms of receiving backs. Remember when so many sheep doubted whether the similarly built McCaffrey could handle a full workload? That was cute.

So ... this guy is going to see his passing game role reduced? I don’t think so. Even if the offense does run a bit more in 2020, pretty sure that will be good news for Ekeler. Sure, Justin Jackson is a quality player and Joshua Kelly is a nice sleeper but Ekeler has scored on five percent of his NFL touches. 

You don’t take the ball away from that player. You feature that player.

Nine 2020 fantasy football takes I believe with the utmost conviction

Excerpt:

1) People will wonder for years why Austin Ekelerwasn’t a top-10-ranked RB going into 2020

The Chargers offense has to be one of the most overanalyzed units I can remember in my time writing about football. An outfit stocked with quality players, no turnover at head coach or offensive coordinator, and is making what, at worst, might be a lateral move at quarterback is being wildly discounted.

No player more so than Austin Ekeler.

It’s difficult to imagine a scenario where Ekeler doesn’t push for 800 rushing and receiving yards in 2020. Do people really expect his passing game role to just evaporate? That’s wild.

Of course, rushing quarterbacks like Tyrod Taylor don’t dump it off to running backs as much as statue passers, but Ekeler isn’t some typical running back. This is a player who saw more slot snaps than all but four backs last year. A player who drew a target on 28 percent of those snaps. A player who lined up even more frequently as an outside wide receiver than he did in the slot. A player who has posted double-digit yards-per-catch figures in all three of his seasons, he is one of just three running backs to average over 10 yards per catch over the last three seasons (minimum 100 targets).

Honestly, he might be second only to Christian McCarrey in terms of receiving backs. Remember when so many sheep doubted whether the similarly built McCaffrey could handle a full workload? That was cute.

So ... this guy is going to see his passing game role reduced? I don’t think so. Even if the offense does run a bit more in 2020, pretty sure that will be good news for Ekeler. Sure, Justin Jackson is a quality player and Joshua Kelly is a nice sleeper but Ekeler has scored on five percent of his NFL touches. 

You don’t take the ball away from that player. You feature that player.
This is a pretty bad take IMO:

• "what, at worst, might be a lateral move at quarterback" pretty much kills this author's credibility for me, especially when specifically thinking about how that move will affect Ekeler. In their careers to date, Rivers has targeted RBs more than almost all other QBs; Tyrod has targeted them less often than most QBs. More importantly, I seriously doubt the quality of Ekeler's targets from Tyrod will be as good as from Rivers.
  • "Even if the offense does run a bit more in 2020, pretty sure that will be good news for Ekeler... Ekeler has scored on five percent of his NFL touches." This is poor correlation. Ekeler has scored on 2.8% of his career rushing attempts and 8.9% of his career receptions. He also averaged 4.2 ypc and 10.8 ypr last season. There is no way to spin a shift of opportunities from the passing game to the running game as a positive for him.
  • "It’s difficult to imagine a scenario where Ekeler doesn’t push for 800 rushing and receiving yards in 2020". It's not hard at all:

He probably needs at least 175 rushing attempts to reach 800 yards. His career high is 132. Gordon is gone, but Jackson could stay healthy for once, and the team added Kelley, who reportedly impressed in camp. I expect a 3 way committee for rushing, which could easily keep Ekeler's rushing attempts down. It is also no given that he stays healthy, just as for all RBs.
  • I expect fewer targets, since the offense should pass less often. I expect a lower catch percentage for Ekeler this year since I expect lower quality targets as mentioned previously. For the same reason, I expect a lower YPR. So, maybe 95 targets, 75 receptions, 9.0 ypr = 675 receiving yards.

This is a pretty bad take IMO:

• "what, at worst, might be a lateral move at quarterback" pretty much kills this author's credibility for me, especially when specifically thinking about how that move will affect Ekeler. In their careers to date, Rivers has targeted RBs more than almost all other QBs; Tyrod has targeted them less often than most QBs. More importantly, I seriously doubt the quality of Ekeler's targets from Tyrod will be as good as from Rivers.
  • "Even if the offense does run a bit more in 2020, pretty sure that will be good news for Ekeler... Ekeler has scored on five percent of his NFL touches." This is poor correlation. Ekeler has scored on 2.8% of his career rushing attempts and 8.9% of his career receptions. He also averaged 4.2 ypc and 10.8 ypr last season. There is no way to spin a shift of opportunities from the passing game to the running game as a positive for him.
  • "It’s difficult to imagine a scenario where Ekeler doesn’t push for 800 rushing and receiving yards in 2020". It's not hard at all:

He probably needs at least 175 rushing attempts to reach 800 yards. His career high is 132. Gordon is gone, but Jackson could stay healthy for once, and the team added Kelley, who reportedly impressed in camp. I expect a 3 way committee for rushing, which could easily keep Ekeler's rushing attempts down. It is also no given that he stays healthy, just as for all RBs.
  • I expect fewer targets, since the offense should pass less often. I expect a lower catch percentage for Ekeler this year since I expect lower quality targets as mentioned previously. For the same reason, I expect a lower YPR. So, maybe 95 targets, 75 receptions, 9.0 ypr = 675 receiving yards.
Playing devils advocate here...

1) Lesean McCoy fared pretty well in the passing game with Taylor at QB in BUF; 2015-2017.  Certainly Taylor isn’t the QB Rivers was even last year...but the offense here is the offense and Ekeler seems to be a pretty significant part of its foundation now.

2) Between Ekeler and Gordon - that’s 163 targets in 2019 in 28 games between the two..  Your projection of 95 targets for Ekeler seems low as neither Jackson or Kelly profile as assets in the passing game.  Coupled with the fact that Mike Williams seems destined to miss the first 2-3 games of the season (which makes either KJ Hill or Joe Reed WR2 in that offense)...I have to think that Ekeler’s passing game volume wouldn’t be negatively impacted even if he’s not as efficient.

3) 250 touches (your projection) for a guy that had 224 last year with Melvin Gordon around for 75% of the season...you’re essentially saying that Ekeler will take on only about 12% of the vacated touch production of Gordon.  That also seems low.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Lesean McCoy fared pretty well in the passing game with Taylor at QB in BUF; 2015-2017.
McCoy played 2 seasons with Lynn and Tyrod in Buffalo:

• 2015 - 50 targets, 32 receptions (2.7 per game, 64.0% catch percentage), 292 receiving yards (24.3 per game, 9.1 YPR,  5.8 YPT), 2 receiving TDs, 12 receiving first downs
  • 2016 - 57 targets, 50 receptions (3.3 per game, 87.7% catch percentage), 356 receiving yards (23.7 per game, 7.1 YPR,  6.2 YPT), 1 receiving TD, 17 receiving first downs
He also played 1 season with Tyrod after Lynn left for the Chargers:

• 2017 - 77 targets, 59 receptions (3.7 per game, 76.6% catch percentage), 448 receiving yards (28.0 per game, 7.6 YPR,  5.8 YPT), 2 receiving TDs, 23 receiving first downs
Compare this to Ekeler in 2019:

• 2019 - 108 targets, 92 receptions (5.8 per game, 85.2% catch percentage), 993 receiving yards (62.1 per game, 10.8 YPR,  9.2 YPT), 8 receiving TDs, 42 receiving first downs
With all due respect, McCoy was not even close to Ekeler's 2019 production in the passing game. My previous post granted Ekeler much better production than McCoy ever had with Tyrod, so I don't really see how referencing McCoy counters what I posted in any way.

Certainly Taylor isn’t the QB Rivers was even last year...but the offense here is the offense
IMO this remains to be seen. When Lynn was with McCoy in 2015-2016, the Bills were at the bottom of the NFL in passing attempts. It was a completely different offense. In fairness, Allen, Williams (when healthy), Henry, and Ekeler are stronger targets than Tyrod had in Buffalo, although Watkins, Woods, Hogan, Clay, and McCoy wasn't bad at all. But on the flip side, Tyrod probably had a better OL than he is going to have this year in LA. :shrug:  

2) Between Ekeler and Gordon - that’s 163 targets in 2019 in 28 games between the two..  Your projection of 95 targets for Ekeler seems low as neither Jackson or Kelly profile as assets in the passing game.  Coupled with the fact that Mike Williams seems destined to miss the first 2-3 games of the season (which makes either KJ Hill or Joe Reed WR2 in that offense)...I have to think that Ekeler’s passing game volume wouldn’t be negatively impacted even if he’s not as efficient.

3) 250 touches (your projection) for a guy that had 224 last year with Melvin Gordon around for 75% of the season...you’re essentially saying that Ekeler will take on only about 12% of the vacated touch production of Gordon.  That also seems low.
Fair points. But consider:

• 2015 BUF - 378 RB rushing attempts and 60 receptions on 84 targets = 438 RB touches
  • 2016 BUF - 382 RB rushing attempts and 73 receptions on 89 targets = 455 RB touches
  • 2019 LAR - 340 RB rushing attempts and 148 receptions on 182 targets = 488 RB touches
I expect 455 is more representative than 488 for this Chargers offense. Projecting Ekeler for 250 of them  gives him 55%. Sure, he could exceed that. But your post comes from a perspective that touches stay constant. I don't think that will be the case.

Also, with regard to projecting 95 targets for Ekeler being low, consider that aside from Ekeler, only 5 other RBs had 95 targets last season (CMC, Cohen, Fournette, Kamara, White).

McCoy played 2 seasons with Lynn and Tyrod in Buffalo:

• 2015 - 50 targets, 32 receptions (2.7 per game, 64.0% catch percentage), 292 receiving yards (24.3 per game, 9.1 YPR,  5.8 YPT), 2 receiving TDs, 12 receiving first downs
  • 2016 - 57 targets, 50 receptions (3.3 per game, 87.7% catch percentage), 356 receiving yards (23.7 per game, 7.1 YPR,  6.2 YPT), 1 receiving TD, 17 receiving first downs
He also played 1 season with Tyrod after Lynn left for the Chargers:

• 2017 - 77 targets, 59 receptions (3.7 per game, 76.6% catch percentage), 448 receiving yards (28.0 per game, 7.6 YPR,  5.8 YPT), 2 receiving TDs, 23 receiving first downs
Compare this to Ekeler in 2019:

• 2019 - 108 targets, 92 receptions (5.8 per game, 85.2% catch percentage), 993 receiving yards (62.1 per game, 10.8 YPR,  9.2 YPT), 8 receiving TDs, 42 receiving first downs
With all due respect, McCoy was not even close to Ekeler's 2019 production in the passing game. My previous post granted Ekeler much better production than McCoy ever had with Tyrod, so I don't really see how referencing McCoy counters what I posted in any way.
I guess I’d disagree with your notion that Taylor isn’t effective at leveraging RB’s in the pass game.  In 2016-2017, the BUF pass game saw 211 of its 950 (22.2%) targets go to RB’s.  In those seasons, McCoy finished 10th and 6th In RB receptions.  During that same time SDC/LAC had 236 of its 1163 (20.3%) targets go to RB’s.

I think you saw an explosion in LAC targeting RB’s in the passing game in 2018-2019 because they had the personnel to do so which includes Ekeler who aside from CMC, maybe the best pass-catching RB in the NFL.  The idea that they won’t lean on him more because of Taylor (but sans Gordon)...seems counter-intuitive.

TheDirtyWord said:
I guess I’d disagree with your notion that Taylor isn’t effective at leveraging RB’s in the pass game.  In 2016-2017, the BUF pass game saw 211 of its 950 (22.2%) targets go to RB’s.  In those seasons, McCoy finished 10th and 6th In RB receptions.  During that same time SDC/LAC had 236 of its 1163 (20.3%) targets go to RB’s.

I think you saw an explosion in LAC targeting RB’s in the passing game in 2018-2019 because they had the personnel to do so which includes Ekeler who aside from CMC, maybe the best pass-catching RB in the NFL.  The idea that they won’t lean on him more because of Taylor (but sans Gordon)...seems counter-intuitive.
Well, first off, I'd argue that it is about more than receptions, which is what you focused on here.

I'd argue that the Chargers RBs with Rivers have had great passing game involvement long before 2018-19. Tomlinson, Sproles, Woodhead, Gordon, and Ekeler all had seasons with Rivers with more receptions, receiving yardage, and receiving TDs than McCoy ever had with Tyrod, and Tolbert and Mathews were very close. I mean, I posted previously in the thread that Rivers has been one of the leading QBs in RB checkdowns, and Tyrod has been one of the lowest.

The good news is, we will find out soon enough. I will be interested to look at this at the season midpoint. I have posted elsewhere that I expect Herbert to be starting no later than week 11, the week after the Chargers' bye, so that creates another wildcard for the Chargers skill players. My reasoning for that is I expect the Chargers to have a losing record at the bye. Plus, I'm sure their plan is to let Tyrod walk after this season (he is a UFA) and commit to Herbert in 2021, so at some point I expect they will want to get him some live game reps to help accelerate his development.

The good news is, we will find out soon enough. I will be interested to look at this at the season midpoint. I have posted elsewhere that I expect Herbert to be starting no later than week 11, the week after the Chargers' bye, so that creates another wildcard for the Chargers skill players. My reasoning for that is I expect the Chargers to have a losing record at the bye. Plus, I'm sure their plan is to let Tyrod walk after this season (he is a UFA) and commit to Herbert in 2021, so at some point I expect they will want to get him some live game reps to help accelerate his development.
Really? The first ten games for LAC are CIN/KC/CAR/TB/NO/NYJ/MIA/JAX/LV

PFF has the Chargers as the 8th best NFL defense. With a ball-control offense and that defense they could easily be 6-3 and in solid playoff contention by Wk 10.

After that is when it gets difficult.

PFF has the Chargers as the 8th best NFL defense. With a ball-control offense and that defense they could easily be 6-3 and in solid playoff contention by Wk 10.

After losing Derwin James?

I assume that ranking for the defense was including Derwin James, who is now out for the season. Aside from that, as a long term Chargers fan, I've learned not to take any opponent for granted, ever. We'll see.

Even without James, though, this Los Angeles Chargers team still fields a top-10 defense.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-rankings-ranking-all-32-defenses-ahead-of-the-2020-nfl-season
I hope that's right. But on their 2 deep, they return 7 DL, 4 LB, and 5 DBs from last season on defense. They added DL Joseph and CB Harris via free agency and first round LB Murray and can hope for improvement from last year's rookies. So they might be great. But many thought they would be great last season, yet they were a bit of a disappointment. No doubt, James getting hurt contributed to that... and now he is out for the season. We'll see. Not counting any chickens yet.

Austin Ekeler rushed for 84 yards on 19 carries and caught 1-of-1 targets for three yards in the Chargers' Week 1 over the Bengals.

Ekeler looked just as explosive as he did last season, but his usage was much different. His one target and three receiving yards were his lowest totals since Week 17 of 2018 and could be a worrisome trend if dual-threat quarterback Tyrod Taylor keeps throwing downfield instead of checking down. Ekeler also lost short-yardage work to rookie Joshua Kelley, who rushed 12 times for 60 yards and a goal-line touchdown. For Ekeler to repeat as an RB1, at least one of those two problems has to be addressed. Expect more than one target in next week's game against the Chiefs if only because of negative game script.

- Rotoworld

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said it's still a "priority" to get Austin Ekeler touches moving forward.

Lynn also admitted his new scheme with Tyrod Taylor will continue to limit checkdowns to running backs. Ekeler was Los Angeles' workhorse on Sunday, out-carrying Josh Kelley 19 to 12, but only saw one target compared to 6.8 per game last season. He's expected to see an uptick in the receiving game against the Chiefs in Week 2, but Ekeler's target volume remains a concern moving forward. Even so, he remains a high-end RB2 with league-winning upside if utilized properly.

SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter

Sep 14, 2020, 4:45 PM ET

Just shows how dumb some NFL coaches are.  Your new scheme limits checkdowns to RB's, even though you have one of the best receiving RB's in the league. Just brilliant. :lol:

Just shows how dumb some NFL coaches are.  Your new scheme limits checkdowns to RB's, even though you have one of the best receiving RB's in the league. Just brilliant. :lol:
Gamesmanship?  Just feels like a perfect storm for an 8 catch gem by Ekeler this week...

Users who are viewing this thread