Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Austin Ekeler - RB - Chargers

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Just shows how dumb some NFL coaches are.  Your new scheme limits checkdowns to RB's, even though you have one of the best receiving RB's in the league. Just brilliant. :lol:

Gamesmanship?  Just feels like a perfect storm for an 8 catch gem by Ekeler this week...

I imagine that Ekeler will have much better games -- and more involvement in the passing game -- going forward.

That said, for owners, would also be nervous about Kelley's involvement. I think most had Ekeler pegged as a top 15 back in a similar tier as Connor/Carson coming into the season.

I am not confident that holds given what we saw in terms of usage and success from Kelley.

7 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

Someone posted in here that Tyrod hasn’t ever thrown for more than 3k in a season. I faded all Chargers players and for one week at least I salute you.

Not exactly true, but close. He was a starter for 3 years and averaged 217/202/187 yards per game, which all put him in the bottom 5 among starting QBs.

9 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

Not exactly true, but close. He was a starter for 3 years and averaged 217/202/187 yards per game, which all put him in the bottom 5 among starting QBs.

Maybe he said said never more than 3035 and didn’t specify whether it was full 16 games more not. They do have some offenses on the schedule that can put up some points and force more attacking on offense.

2 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

Guys, Tyrod Taylor is not their long term QB.  Let’s stop panicking like he is.

Whatever Rivers' flaws, Ekeler will likely never have a QB as good for his fantasy production as Rivers was. Furthermore, with Rivers gone, Lynn is free to impose the Buffalo 2016 offense, which reduces passing. It was on full display yesterday.

I don't think Ekeler will ever again come close to his 2019 production, and I am a big fan of his. IMO it is underrated how much coach and scheme matters to fantasy production. I wouldn't be surprised if Lynn is gone by 2022, so who knows, maybe the next coach will be better for Ekeler, if that coach chooses to keep him around at that point.

Daniel Popper @danielrpopper

The #Chargers philosophically don't really differentiate between catches and rushes with RBs. They view them collectively as touches. Austin Ekeler had 20 touches Sunday, which is more than he had in all but 2 games last season. I know this doesn't help in your PPR league, but...

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1305963499458240512?s=21

Austin Ekeler rushed 16 times for 93 yards and caught 4-of-4 targets for 55 yards in the Chargers' Week 2 overtime loss to the Chiefs.

Once again, Ekeler looked like one of the best tackle breakers in the NFL, gashing the Chiefs interior line for 5.8 yards per carry. More importantly, the Chargers offense looked to have some life under first-round rookie QB Justin Herbert, who passed for 311 yards in a surprise start. The quarterback change is a big win for Ekeler, as Tyrod Taylor's rushing ability limited Ekeler's chances as a receiver. Herbert can run too, but he'll check down to Ekeler more than Taylor would. Ekeler still doesn't have full control of the backfield with Joshua Kelley handling 23 carries, some of those coming in the red zone. Still, Ekeler's status as a fantasy RB1 is clearer with Herbert as the starter. Ekeler offers upside against Carolina's nonexistent rushing defense next week.

Sep 20, 2020, 7:55 PM ET

Austin Ekeler rushed 12 times for 59 yards and a touchdown in the Chargers' Week 3 loss to the Panthers, adding 11 catches for 80 yards. 

It was a vintage Ekeler performance, getting peppered with targets throughout the game. Justin Herbert starting for LA is a (very) good thing for Ekeler's fantasy prospects. Ekeler dropped a lateral on the game's final game; if he had reeled it in, he would have scored the game winning touchdown. Alas. Ekeler will continue to be a top PPR running back next week against Tampa. 

Sep 27, 2020, 7:12 PM ET

Austin Ekeler (leg) was carted to the locker room in the first quarter of Week 4 against the Bucs.

Ekeler broke a tackle but his leg bended and he fell to the ground immediately. He was carried to the sideline before laying down while the Chargers medical staff looked at him, ultimately leaving on a cart to the locker room. It didn't look good, but we'll update when more information surfaces. The Chargers are calling it a hamstring injury. Rookie Joshua Kelley would be a RB2 for any time Ekeler misses with Justin Jackson also ready to chip in following his Week 1 injury.

Oct 4, 2020, 1:41 PM ET

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Austin Ekeler (hamstring, knee) is expected to miss "multiple weeks".

An MRI will confirm the diagnosis, but it looks like Ekeler is dealing with a hamstring strain and a hyperextended knee. Ekeler was seen on crutches with a brace after the Week 4 game. It's possible the Chargers put Ekeler on short-term injured reserve, which would sideline him at least three games. With Ekeler sidelined, Joshua Kelley and Justin Jackson will battle things out in what could continue to be a two-back committee. Kelley has looked solid when he hasn't been fumbling. Jackson returned from his Week 1 injury this week. Both should be rostered.

RELATED: 

Joshua Kelley

, Justin Jackson

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oct 4, 2020, 7:00 PM ET

dr chao's initial video assessment is in line with shefty's reporting. this is terrible could be 4-5 weeks before he's back which could put him coming back after the week 11 bye. will have to throw some FAAB at jackson and see if he ends up with the ekeler role.

Edited by iamkoza

1 hour ago, iamkoza said:

are there any recent comps for grade two hamstring strain in season recoveries?

all i could find was lesean mccoy in 2015 said he had a grade 2 but he only missed 2 games.

Urlacher had a grade 2 in wk 13 of the 2012 season. He missed the last 4 weeks of the season.

15 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

That guy had him possibly missing the rest of the year before the grade 2 was announced. Linked video was from before rapsheet news

One of his primary points was that it is very difficult to see the extent of the damage of a grade 2 or higher sprain due to the swelling and blood in the area, plus he speculates that the area of the muscle that was injured is different from run-of-the-mill hammys. I think he’s out two months minimum 

Chargers placed Austin Ekeler (hamstring) on injured reserve.

This ensures that Ekeler remains sidelined at least until Week 8. The team also promoted Tyron Johnson to the active roster and signed Kalen Ballage to the practice squad in corresponding moves. Joshua Kelley and Justin Jackson will move forward in a committee for Los Angeles' next three games against the Saints, Jets, and Dolphins. Kelley remains the priority between the two, but Jackson is still the favorite to deliver as a FLEX option with a friendly receiving game role in place of Ekeler.

SOURCE: Los Angeles Chargers on Twitter

Oct 9, 2020, 4:03 PM ET

On 10/5/2020 at 6:23 PM, tangfoot said:

One of his primary points was that it is very difficult to see the extent of the damage of a grade 2 or higher sprain due to the swelling and blood in the area, plus he speculates that the area of the muscle that was injured is different from run-of-the-mill hammys. I think he’s out two months minimum 

If he's out 2 months +, is he worth holding on to in a short bench redraft league?

I have to wonder how effective he'll be the rest of this year coming off an injury like this.

I don't know if I buy this 4-6 week time table either.  Ekeler is a pretty tough dude and he couldn't even get on the freaking cart.  I thought for sure he was done for the year.  Such a shame too.  I actually think he was playing better this year than last year.  I will be thrilled if he comes back in 6 weeks. 

2 hours ago, NotSmart said:

If he's out 2 months +, is he worth holding on to in a short bench redraft league?

I have to wonder how effective he'll be the rest of this year coming off an injury like this.

He should be eligible for your league IR as of this afternoon. Beyond that, it’s just a question of who you would have to drop to keep him. Roster size comes into play here

a small victory.... but moving up the chargers bye week from week 10 to week 6 might save a game of ekeler?

i was skeptical of it only being a grade 2 but apparently two doctors have agreed on the assessment. we'll just have to see in a couple weeks is he starting to do individual drills or any activity.

• Like 1

Speaking Wednesday, coach Anthony Lynn said Austin Ekeler (hamstring, I.R.) will be back "later than sooner."

Lynn called Ekeler's hamstring strain "very serious." He's missed one game so far, but it doesn't sound like Ekeler will be coming off the I.R. lost when first eligible after three weeks. 

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/9043/austin-ekeler

38 minutes ago, icehouse said:

Looks like folks have to keep Kelley a little while longer.

Or Jackson.

Big oof for me here. I traded for Ekeler on Saturday due to solid running back depth and then watched as my two starters went down to injury. And I’m suddenly lacking any depth. Was really hopeful that Ekeler was on the shorter side of coming back, but had nothing to go on to say why it would. Really just crossing my fingers and gambling.

Damn -- wanted this news to come out after game start on Sunday. May need to make a preemptive move on Kelley, perhaps dropping Jeudy.

I think there is a trade-off in face-value there, but relative scarcity of RB and the fact that while Jackson may have the lead hand, Kelley is going to be used, and used longer as Ekeler continues to heal, makes him more of an intriguing stash given I'm deep at WR (Julio, Moore, Cooks, Jefferson, Jeudy) and less so at RB (Jacobs, RoJo, Edmonds).

Hard to put Jeudy on the wire, but this may be a gamble where it pays to act now?

1 hour ago, VikingFrog said:

Or Jackson.

Big oof for me here. I traded for Ekeler on Saturday due to solid running back depth and then watched as my two starters went down to injury. And I’m suddenly lacking any depth. Was really hopeful that Ekeler was on the shorter side of coming back, but had nothing to go on to say why it would. Really just crossing my fingers and gambling.

Do you have quality depth and a record that can absorb it? Ekeler will be back at some point, which could be the difference maker for you leading into and through the playoffs.

35 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Do you have quality depth and a record that can absorb it? Ekeler will be back at some point, which could be the difference maker for you leading into and through the playoffs.

It sure seems like week 11 or 12 for ekeler. So you're going to want to see him play before running him out there. Buy jackson for an affordable price while you still can

1 hour ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

I don’t really. I traded it away to get Ekeler. Tried my hardest to get Justin Jackson via trade yesterday but couldn’t get a bite. I’ve got 2 injured RBs and their handcuffs so at least one set for this week, as I’m stronger  at WR.

3 hours ago, VikingFrog said:

Or Jackson.

Jackson for sure. But he’s probably gone and I’ve seen some on the bubble about keeping Kelley. 

17 hours ago, icehouse said:

Jackson for sure. But he’s probably gone and I’ve seen some on the bubble about keeping Kelley. 

If Kelley was free in any of my leagues I would jump on that quickly.  Jackson is playing better,  but he also has a hard time staying healthy. 

10 minutes ago, Jail said:

If Kelley was free in any of my leagues I would jump on that quickly.  Jackson is playing better,  but he also has a hard time staying healthy. 

Yeah. As an Ekeler owner, I’m trying to trade for him after my Jackson trade fell through. Hard to give up much value to get him. But I’m hopeful someone like Mattison perks an owners ear. Both coming off blah games where they were thrown into the starting limelight. Not sure which is worth more moving forward, but owning Ekeler pushed my needle toward Kelley.

20 minutes ago, Jail said:

I feel this strong compulsion to do so now as I agree. 

Problem is with byes I won't really have a free bench spot until this coming waiver period after this week's games, where it may be too late if Kelley runs well.

To get him now, would have to shed a guy like Jeudy, or drop Blankenship and roll with Koo and have to handle another kicker bye down the road.

I really don't want to do either. 

Brandin Cooks was still sitting on the WW this weekend, so I dropped Kelley to pick him up.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should have dropped Damien Harris instead?  It's just that, after seeing Jackson completely out-play Kelley in their first game without Ekeler, I viewed Harris as the more valuable player between Kelley/Harris.

Edited by Broncobiv