What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Austin Ekeler, WAS (1 Viewer)

Wait a minute, just so I am clear here....aggravate means he would have already been nursing said injury coming into the game? Didn't the Chargers just do this a couple weeks ago with Gordon, they not learn their lesson?
I'm also quite certain he aggravated it again on special teams near the end of the game.

It was on the onside kick near the end of the game. So much for not wanting to wear him down.  17 offensive touches plus special teams before a big Thursday division game. 
Another stupid move by these coaches....i get it....onside kick is important....but you are running out of rb bodies

Austin Ekeler (neck) is also in the league's concussion protocol.

Ekeler reported symptoms on Monday afternoon; this is all in addition to his aggravation of a previous neck injury that has left him unable to move his head much right now. Ekeler didn't practice Monday, obviously. He's an extreme long shot to play Thursday night against the Chiefs.

Dec 10 - 10:16 PM

Scott Barrett @ScottBarrettDFB

Last season, Austin Ekeler ranked:

- 6th of 61 RBs in PFF Grade (83.6)

- 7th of 56 RBs in Elusive Rating (67.6)

- 6th of 56 RBs in Yards per Carry (5.23)

- 7th of 31 RBs in Yards per Target (7.62)

... and was better than Melvin Gordon in each stat.

Current ADP: RB42, Round 9

No need to apologize. I want my posts to stimulate discussion and debate.
Cool. And your posts should prompt when a question is posed or opinion asserted as likely fact. I was more apologizing for the one-word answer than the subsequent eye test, which is also really, really subjective and maybe not much help to others who don't know me or know why I'd say that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evan Silva✔@evansilva

Just one player in the NFL checks these three boxes over the past two seasons:

200+ touches
Over 5.0 yards per carry
Over 10.0 yards per reception

He is the backup to a running back threatening to hold out into the regular season. #Chargers

11:54 PM - Jul 23, 2019

To add on to the above post, only Alvin Kamara has finished ahead of Ekeler in PFF grades each of the last 2 years. 

Austin Ekeler took the opening reps with the first-team offense when the Chargers opened training camp Thursday.

Many around the fantasy community seem to be writing Ekeler off a bit in favor of Justin Jackson, but Ekeler has always been the clear No. 2 for the Bolts. Gordon missed four games last season, and Ekeler had touch counts of 17, 18, and 17 in three contests before missing the fourth one as well. Despite the Jackson love, it's very clearly been Ekeler as the 1A when Gordon has missed time. Ekeler was No. 5 in yards per carry among qualified runners last season and registered Pro Football Focus' No. 6 elusive rating at the position among 56 qualifiers. He's also functional in the passing game with 66 catches in two NFL seasons. Ekeler is the back to own right now for L.A. with Gordon's holdout expected to be "prolonged" and spill into the season.

SOURCE: Eric Williams on Twitter

Jul 26, 2019, 9:16 AM ET

As cheap as they come with top 10 RB upside in the event Gordon holds out and/or gets injured. He’s surprisingly young too (23 or 24 I believe).  :thumbup:

Evan Silva✔@evansilva

Just one player in the NFL checks these three boxes over the past two seasons:

200+ touches
Over 5.0 yards per carry
Over 10.0 yards per reception

He is the backup to a running back threatening to hold out into the regular season. #Chargers

11:54 PM - Jul 23, 2019
In the 3 games that Melvin Gordon missed and Ekeler carried the load...

52 touches
3.2 yards per carry
6.3 yards per reception

In the 3 games that Melvin Gordon missed and Ekeler carried the load...

52 touches
3.2 yards per carry
6.3 yards per reception
That Titans game in London, the entire offense was bad. They got 2 long bomb TD's, one 75 yarder where the Titans lost track of Tyrell Williams, and one 55 yarder where Rivers just heaved up a bomb to Mike Williams on a free play(IIRC) 

The Bengals game he had 15-66(4.4ypc) and a TD, with 2-28(14ypr). 

The Steelers game is the only game I'd say Ekeler was bad in, and Justin Jackson had more success when they worked him in during the 2nd half. 

I like Ekeler a ton, but he's not getting Gordon's workload. In the 11 games they both played, Gordon saw 210 touches, versus 93 for Ekeler. That is roughly a 70-30 split. I would expect Ekeler/Jackson to be closer to about 60-40, but I would agree Ekeler is the back to own, and its possible they tailor the offense more to his skill set, as in slightly more pass heavy, which might actually benefit the offense in general.

woudlnt surprise me at all if they keep ekeler in the cop role ....slightly expanded and give Justin  Jackson  the early down and goalline looks....could be some ride the hot hand too.....messy without melvin imo....

FWIW, PFF grades in 5 categories, and Ekeler's grades were higher than Jackson's in all 5 last season:

1. Overall: Ekeler 83.4, Gordon 83.1, Jackson 72.6
  2. Passing (receiving): Ekeler 84.6, Jackson 70.2, Gordon 60.6
  3. Pass blocking: Ekeler 57.9, Gordon 48.1, Jackson 27.4
  4. Running: Gordon 88.7, Ekeler 80.8, Jackson 75.1
  5. Run blocking: Gordon 64.5, Ekeler 64.4, Jackson 59.6
All of Jackson's sample sizes are small, but this data seemingly makes it clear that Ekeler would get the passing game/third down/two minute snaps over Jackson. I expect they would split the rest fairly evenly, but that would mean 60-65% workload for Ekeler.

I really expect to see Detrez Newsome worked into the rotation as well. He's got some lead-back type of qualities. Also, Jeremy Cox will probably see some short yardage and goal line work. I'd expect to see a split along these lines.

Ekeler 25 - 40%

Jackson 25 - 40%

Newsome 15 - 25%

Cox 5 - 10%

I think that this would work well IRL as it would keep everyone relatively fresh, but it wouldn't be that great for fantasy football though.

I really expect to see Detrez Newsome worked into the rotation as well. He's got some lead-back type of qualities. Also, Jeremy Cox will probably see some short yardage and goal line work. I'd expect to see a split along these lines.

Ekeler 25 - 40%

Jackson 25 - 40%

Newsome 15 - 25%

Cox 5 - 10%

I think that this would work well IRL as it would keep everyone relatively fresh, but it wouldn't be that great for fantasy football though.
I'd be surprised if all 4 were active on any given Sunday.

Fair point. I do think that you could still arrive at something close to these percentages if one or two of them ever gets dinged up during the year.

I think it also would depend on just how high they are on Jeremy Cox. I could just as easily see him on the practice squad as on the final 53.

The main point I'm trying to make is that there is more to the Chargers RB corp than just Ekeler and Jackson and that I could easily see the RB work being split more evenly than some people are expecting.

Ekeler 25 - 40%

Jackson 25 - 40%

Newsome 15 - 25%

Cox 5 - 10%

I'd be surprised if all 4 were active on any given Sunday.
Agreed. Not only that, there is no guarantee the Chargers keep more than 4 RBs, including FB Watt, on their final roster. I expect Ekeler, Jackson, and Newsome would make it if Gordon is still holding out, but Cox is by no means a lock for the roster in that scenario.

Ekeler 25 - 40%

Jackson 25 - 40%

Newsome 15 - 25%

Cox 5 - 10%

If all of these guys are healthy and Gordon is holding out, there is no way Ekeler gets just 25% of the RB touches and also no way that Ekeler and Jackson combine for just 50%.

I agree that Newsome would get some work if Gordon holds out. But if Ekeler, Jackson, and Newsome are all healthy and Gordon is out, I think it looks more like this:

• Ekeler - 60%
  • Jackson - 35%
  • Newsome - 5%
The only way I see Newsome getting 10% or more of the workload is if Gordon is out AND (1) either Ekeler or Jackson miss games or (2) the Chargers end up have a high percentage of time leading in blowouts.

If all of these guys are healthy and Gordon is holding out, there is no way Ekeler gets just 25% of the RB touches and also no way that Ekeler and Jackson combine for just 50%.

I agree that Newsome would get some work if Gordon holds out. But if Ekeler, Jackson, and Newsome are all healthy and Gordon is out, I think it looks more like this:

• Ekeler - 60%
  • Jackson - 35%
  • Newsome - 5%
The only way I see Newsome getting 10% or more of the workload is if Gordon is out AND (1) either Ekeler or Jackson miss games or (2) the Chargers end up have a high percentage of time leading in blowouts.
I agree. You took the low end of my ranges for both Ekeler and Jackson, which won't happen. I was trying to offer ranges that would add up to 100%. You're probably right about not counting on much from Cox.

I don't think we're too far apart, but I think 60% might be a little high for Ekeler. If I had to pick a specific number, barring any injuries, I would predict

Ekeler - 50%

Jackson - 35%

Newsome - 15%

I think that Newsome will get some decent work in the 4th quarter of any blowouts as well as taking a series from Jackson every once in a while.

Any carries that Cox would get would be in a week (or two) that one of the other three guys is not playing due to being dinged up. Hopefully they all stay healthy all year, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. Ankle sprains tend to happen every once in a while.

I can, however, see a scenario where Jackson out-touches Ekeler if even if both remain healthy... IF Jackson turns into a stud - which is certainly possible. I do think it more likely that Ekeler will out-touch Jackson, although I expect it to be closer than a lot of people think.

ESPN's Eric Williams expects the Chargers to use Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson in a "50-50 split" during Melvin Gordon's holdout.

That's not what we saw in the Chargers' preseason opener. The first-team offense played 16 snaps that night, and Ekeler was on the field for 12 of them, while Jackson saw four reps. Ekeler also received 2-of-3 touches inside the 10-yard line. Williams notes it's been more 50-50 in practices this summer. We'd venture to guess it will be closer to 65-35 in favor of Ekeler, who is just a more well-rounded player. He can function on early downs and excels in the pass game as both a receiver and in blitz-pickup. Ekeler is the back to own among the two, and his ADP reflects that.

RELATED: 

Justin Jackson

SOURCE: Eric Williams on Twitter

Aug 16, 2019, 11:01 AM ET

Was offered duke Johnson for Ekeler right after they signed Hyde.  I’m not worried about Hyde.   Hit accept pretty quick.  Own JJ in 2/3 teams and think he may be the guy to have by the end of all this.  

LA just informed Gordon publicly that they would no longer talk about a contract extension until after the season. Oof.

Top-10 RB this year if he stays healthy.
Would be nice but I have my doubts. Looks great as a COP, as Justwinbaby pointed out with the numbers. But seriously struggled when he got the frontman role last year. The crazy thing was most weeks last season, you could use the duo, him and Gordon together and truck thru most other teams in fantasy.

Would be nice but I have my doubts. Looks great as a COP, as Justwinbaby pointed out with the numbers. But seriously struggled when he got the frontman role last year. The crazy thing was most weeks last season, you could use the duo, him and Gordon together and truck thru most other teams in fantasy.
I've rostered him two straight years. Doesn't seem to be the type of RB that can be The Man. 

This starter/not split stuff is random nonsense IMO.  YPC is a junk stat until basically forever in terms of # of carries.

Walking Boot said:
They can't once the season starts anyway, right? 

So they're just saying that their most recent offer is their best and won't improve by 9/4, IIRC.
You can't negotiate/extend/sign during the NFL season?  Is that really a thing?

Coach Anthony Lynn said that he plans to continue to utilize multiple running backs ahead of the Chargers' Week 1 matchup against the Colts.

Specifically, Lynn noted that, "I've always used those guys as a tandem, that's not going to change." ESPN's Eric Williams reported earlier in August that the Chargers are expected to use a 50/50 split in their backfield, although their preseason usage with the first-team offense suggested we could see something closer to a 60/40 split in favor of Austin Ekeler. This arrangement makes the most sense, as Ekeler is a more-established receiving threat than Justin Jackson at this point in their careers. Ekeler is set up well this week to rack up underneath targets behind the Chargers' banged-up offensive line against a Colts defense that utilized zone coverage at a league-high rate in 2018.

RELATED: 

Justin Jackson

SOURCE: Eric D. Williams on ESPN.com.

Sep 5, 2019, 8:55 AM ET

Was offered duke Johnson for Ekeler right after they signed Hyde.  I’m not worried about Hyde.   Hit accept pretty quick.  Own JJ in 2/3 teams and think he may be the guy to have by the end of all this.  
With you on JJ man!

• Smile
Reactions: SCT

Users who are viewing this thread