Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

RB Austin Ekeler, LAC

On 11/2/2020 at 2:39 PM, SCT said:

That puts him at MAYBE week 10, and week 11 if 4 weeks. You probably don’t want to start him that first week back unless desperate.  So could be week 12.

I traded for him a a few weeks ago and have been losing ever since. So it may be too late. But he could give some strong teams a nice playoff run.

I don’t think Jackson or Kelley have shown enough to be worried. 

The biggest worry is how effective Ekeler can actually be. If 100% he runs away with the job again.

Edited by VikingFrog

checkout his IG, has a few recent videos of rehab activities. looks to be moving well but still not full speed. total speculation, but week 12 would be my guess for a return to practice and possibly week 13 on the field? i'm sure we'll start to hear more chatter soon from reporters.

• Like 1

Austin Ekeler (hamstring) tweeted Thursday that "the time draws near" on his return from injured reserve.

Ekeler posted a video of himself running what appeared to be at full speed in a straight line. He's been out since suffering a severe hamstring strain in Week 4 and is eligible to come off I.R. at any time now. We've heard very little about his recovery, but it sounds like Ekeler is aiming to be back sooner than later. In his absence, the Chargers have been running a true committee, with all four of Justin Jackson, Joshua Kelley, Troymaine Pope, and now Kalen Ballage getting meaningful reps. Ekeler should be rostered in all formats.

SOURCE: Austin Ekeler on Twitter

Nov 12, 2020, 9:51 PM ET

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Week 12 return expected

November 13, 2020

Daniel Popper of The Athletic expects Ekeler (hamstring/knee) to return in Week 12.

ANALYSIS
Ekeler has progressed to straight-line running in his recovery and, barring a setback, could be back in two weeks against the Bills. A Week 12 return would represent an eight-week layoff since the running back got hurt against the Buccaneers in Week 4. With fellow RB Justin Jackson (knee) also sidelined, Troymaine Pope (neck), Joshua Kelley and practice squad call-up Kalen Ballage should continue to split reps in the Chargers backfield while Ekeler recovers.

Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease be true... 

Edited by Broncobiv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. Peterson said:

Need to make a decision between him or Chase Edmonds.  Do I go with Chase tonight or hold out hope for Ekeler?  
Any recent news? 

I personally would go with the sure thing in Edmonds until we have more clarity on Ekeler. If Ekeler plays, I love him. But that's unclear right this second. 

17 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

It's a nice matchup but totally dependent on his status. This ranking could easily move depending on news. Stay tuned. 

I see... this is definitely fluid. You've dropped K Ballage significantly because of the possibility of an Ekeler return this week. I'll be watching as Ballage is a one week fill in for one of my teams as a RB #2 this week. Good match up for RB's. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Team Smokin' said:

I see... this is definitely fluid. You've dropped K Ballage significantly because of the possibility of an Ekeler return this week. I'll be watching as Ballage is a one week fill in for one of my teams as a RB #2 this week. Good match up for RB's. 

Thanks. Reshuffled projections now for RBs and Chargers.

• Like 1

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Austin Ekeler (hamstring) is expected to resume practicing this week. 

He will be "designated to return" from injured reserve, but that does not mean he is actually activated. It just opens his 21-day practice/activation window. Ekeler hinted at a return ahead of Week 10 but has not been heard from since. The Chargers' backfield has been a revolving door during Ekeler's absence, with journeyman Kalen Ballage taking the lead of late. Ekeler has not played since Week 4. He will immediately reclaim RB2 relevance upon his return. 

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Nov 24, 2020, 2:12 PM ET

• Like 1

Fire up the Ekeler train, looks like he is ready to roll.  Good analysis here from some doctor:

https://youtu.be/h0MdlUPBKLs

Sounds like the squatting video shows he is ready to rock.

I'm expecting big things, the Chargers are looking like an incredibly explosive offense, and this is with Kalen Ballage as the lead back.  The Bills run D has been abysmal, then LA gets a bunch of relatively easy Ds after that:

NE

ATL

LV

Den

Edited by ahartig
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Austin Ekeler (hamstring, I.R.) returned to practice Wednesday.

It officially opens Ekeler's 21-day window to be activated from injured reserve. That may not happen this week for the Bills game, but Ekeler did say a couple weeks back he was getting close to a return. Once Ekeler is back, he'll be an RB2 with upside and knocks guys like Kalen Ballage, Justin Jackson (knee, I.R.), and/or Joshua Kelley down the depth chart to compete for touches behind Ekeler.

- Gilbert Manzano

Edited by The Frankman
  • Thanks 1

Rotoworld take:

Chargers activated RB Austin Ekeler (hamstring) off injured reserve.

Lift off, hopefully. Ekeler returned to practice this week and suggested he would return against the Bills. Coach Anthony Lynn, however, did not seem as confident when speaking with reporters a few days ago. Still, this is a clear step in the right direction. If Ekeler avoids the inactives list he should be in line for at least 12 touches in a game with a 52.5 total, if not more.

Nov 28, 2020, 4:29 PM ET

56 minutes ago, ahartig said:

It’s on fellas. If i want to lock up this backfield do we think Justin Jackson is the backup to own once healthy?

I don't think so.  I think Lynn will keep giving all those guys a chance to see who does the best.  Full blown rbbc. If I had to pick one...probably lean Ballage. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chargers RB Austin Ekeler (hamstring) is expected to play in Week 12 against the Bills.

Rapoport noted that Ekeler "won’t be the bell cow just yet, but he’s slated to play." It sounds like Ekeler is slated for a lesser role than usual but the Chargers may not have a say in the matter. Kalen Ballage (ankle/calf) is considered a game-time decision. If he is ruled out, Ekeler would likely play a massive role in his first game back. The Chargers also have Joshua Kelley but they have been reluctant to let him get much work despite a rash of injuries in recent week. Ekeler is a high-end RB2 at least this week with instant RB1 upside if Ballage is out. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 29, 2020, 8:23 AM ET

• Thanks 1

Austin Ekeler rushed 14 times for 44 yards, hauling in 11-of-16 targets for 85 yards in Los Angeles' Week 12 loss to the Bills.

Ian Rapoport reported Ekeler "would not be the bell-cow just yet" in the former's first game back since Week 4, but that was far from being the case as he handled 25 of Los Angeles' 34 backfield touches and saw a team-high 16 targets (and 30.7% share) from Justin Herbert. Ekeler, who looked explosive and spry considering he returned from a significant soft tissue injury, would have had an even better outing had he not been tackled following a reception at the one-inch line and replaced on the ensuing play by Joshua Kelley (7/35/1). Ekeler's spry performance occurred without Kalen Ballage (calf/ankle, out) available, but the former's workload likely isn't going away for the rest of the year. He'll be a matchup-proof RB1 for the fantasy playoffs even if/when Ballage returns.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Austin Ekeler ran 37 pass routes in Week 12 against the Bills, the most among NFL running backs headed into Monday Night Football. 

Only three running backs -- Ekeler, James Robinson, and Nyheim Hines -- ran more than 30 routes Sunday. Ekeler saw an absurd 31 percent target share in his return from a hamstring injury, posting 85 receiving yards to go along with 44 rushing yards. Big-armed Justin Herbert proved willing to dump it off to Ekeler against Buffalo, an excellent sign that Ekeler will maintain his RB1 form in PPR formats going forward. Ekeler drafters who stayed patient through his extended absence are set to reap the reward during the season's final stretch. 

Nov 30, 2020, 10:12 AM ET

https://twitter.com/adamlevitan/status/1333413183831289858

Adam Levitan @adamlevitan

Austin Ekeler's first game back from hamstring injury:

* 60-of-83 snaps (72%)

* 63% of RB carries

* 16 targets (!!) for a 31% share

* Career-high 25 total touches

* Has NE, ATL, LV, DEN, KC left

Edited by The Frankman
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Austin Ekeler (quad) returned to Chargers practice on Tuesday, getting in a "limited" session.

The Bolts are only conducting walk-throughs ahead of Thursday's short-week tilt with the Raiders. They are almost certainly just being cautious with Ekeler following his recent return from injured reserve. Ekeler has picked up where he left off before his hamstring injury, getting 24 handles, including a ridiculous nine receptions, in Week 14. He is an RB1 for the fantasy semifinals. 

Dec 15, 2020, 4:16 PM ET

(RotoWire) Ekeler (quad) is listed as questionable for Thursday night's game against the Raiders after being listed as limited on Tuesday and Wednesday's practice reports, Gilbert Manzano of The Orange County Register reports.

Analysis: The same applies to wideouts Keenan Allen (hamstring) and Mike Williams (back), with the trio's Week 15 status slated to be confirmed upon the release of the Chargers' inactives prior to Thursday's 8:20 ET kickoff. While it would surprise us if Ekeler didn't play, if he ends up limited or out, Kalen Ballage and Justin Jackson would be next up for the team's carries.

(Article Link)

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports Austin Ekeler (quad) is expected to play in Week 15 against the Raiders.

Nothing to see here. Ekeler was limited in practice on Tuesday and Wednesday but is good to go for Thursday night. Keenan Allen (hamstring) and Mike Williams (back) on the other hand are considered true game-time calls. With a 22.8% target share since returning from injury, Ekeler is a locked-in RB1 for Week 15.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Dec 17, 2020, 6:49 AM ET

• Joe Bryant changed the title to RB Austin Ekeler, LAC