What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Corey Clement Thread (1 Viewer)

ldizzle

Footballguy
I didn't see one so I thought I'd fire one up. 

Sproles done one for the season. Blount is average and Smallwood is not practicing due to swelling in his knee. 

Thoughts on Clement?

He's got opportunity now, but he looks pretty middling to me and clearly behind Blount.

Solid buy and hold in dynasty leagues, as things may open up for him next season if he does well with his opportunities this year.

i'm going to make a pre-emptive add for him. 16 touches the last couple weeks. some nice runs. no smallwood tomorrow.

the opportunity is there for him this week and that's half the battle...

He would get a bump in carries if Smallwood sat but he's not going to be catching passes anytime soon. I honestly think we might see some Barner if Smallwood sits. Clement will always need a Blount injury to be truly relevant I think.
SSN, I am guessing by your comment that you don't see Clement as a possible long-term (i.e. 2018 onward) starter in Philly.  Am I reading your tea leaves correctly?

What are thoughts on this guy for dynasty leagues?  Hard pass?  Mild interest?

I've heard some Eagles fans suggest Clement is clearly being groomed for the Sproles role in the offense.  Ajayi isn't known for his passing game chops, so it would seem that role is available moving forward.  And while a 3 TD game is clearly the product of a lot of garbage time, those TDs came against one of the best defenses in the league (or what had been pre-Osweiller). Clement played on 17 first half snaps, actually leading the backfield per PFF.

Nathan Jahnke‏Verified account @PFF_NateJahnke  Nov 5
Eagles halftime HB snap count:
Corey Clement 17
Jay Ajayi 10
LeGarrette Blount 7
Kenjon Barner 2
Wendell Smallwood 0
Out of 36 plays
I'm not suggesting Clement takes the lead RB role, especially after they traded for Ajayi, but does he handle all passing down work and hurry up offense moving forward?  Pretty impressive to see an undrafted rookie starting to produce this well in what might be thought of as a crowded RB room.

Holding. Ajayi is very cap friendly in 2018 and then becomes a FA.  PHI has stated multiple times how much they like Clement and it is showing.  This could very easily be an Ajayi/Clement backfield next year and he could return some RB2 value.

Gonna be very TD dependent but the Eagles offense goes everywhere. He probably needs to be rostered with how many TDs he's getting.

What are thoughts on this guy for dynasty leagues?  Hard pass?  Mild interest?

I've heard some Eagles fans suggest Clement is clearly being groomed for the Sproles role in the offense.  Ajayi isn't known for his passing game chops, so it would seem that role is available moving forward.  And while a 3 TD game is clearly the product of a lot of garbage time, those TDs came against one of the best defenses in the league (or what had been pre-Osweiller). Clement played on 17 first half snaps, actually leading the backfield per PFF.

I'm not suggesting Clement takes the lead RB role, especially after they traded for Ajayi, but does he handle all passing down work and hurry up offense moving forward?  Pretty impressive to see an undrafted rookie starting to produce this well in what might be thought of as a crowded RB room.
I feel like you could be on to something with the idea of his overall progression.  He could have easily gotten squeezed out or put on the PS at the beginning of the year, but they obviously were intrigued enough to keep him on the roster at the beginning of the season.  Now they add Ajayi and he still comes in and gets a lot of work in the game.  Obviously passed Smallwood, who the Eagles seemed to like a lot.  Blount won't be a factor next year and maybe Ajayi gets dinged with another concussion and/or gets hurt and/or they just figure why not groom Clement to be the guy for the next few years after Ajayi is gone.  So overall, it is fair to think about how things are clearly trending up for him.

Also, Pumphrey will be back in the mix next year in the passing game presumably.  Something to keep in the back of your mind, though certainly at this point no way to know if and how he actually comes back.

Who was touting Clement in Biabreakable's rookie mock draft polls back in February/March/April.... this guy

Who was ridiculed for his slow combine time, and told he'd be nothing but a backup if he's lucky to get drafted and make a team at all... this guy. 

Not coming here to crow about being right about the next big thing at RB... that's hardly the case (he's not, at least at this point), but it certainly feels good to be right about a RB or 2, especially after being wrong about 3-4 :)

He has a role and may have some significant fantasy value. Ajayi is a FA after next season. Clement may be something to watch, but I think he may over-take a Blount type role in that offense, giving him some signfiicant fantasy value. As a WI Badger fan, he was pretty darn good. Especially in dynasty he's someone to watch because if they let Blount walk after this season, and Ajayi gets hurt (which his knee/s are no good TBH), then Clement could have some very significant value. Love him in dynasty. In redraft I'm not sure I'd want to buy... but maybe if Blount's role was decreased more. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Who was touting Clement in Biabreakable's rookie mock draft polls back in February/March/April.... this guy

Who was ridiculed for his slow combine time, and told he'd be nothing but a backup if he's lucky to get drafted and make a team at all... this guy. 

Not coming here to crow about being right about the next big thing at RB... that's hardly the case (he's not, at least at this point), but it certainly feels good to be right about a RB or 2, especially after being wrong about 3-4 :)

He has a role and may have some significant fantasy value. Ajayi is a FA after next season. Clement may be something to watch, but I think he may over-take a Blount type role in that offense, giving him some signfiicant fantasy value. As a WI Badger fan, he was pretty darn good. Especially in dynasty he's someone to watch because if they let Blount walk after this season, and Ajayi gets hurt (which his knee/s are no good TBH), then Clement could have some very significant value. Love him in dynasty. In redraft I'm not sure I'd want to buy... but maybe if Blount's role was decreased more. 
I agree. Corey Cement looks a bit buried at the moment, but this will change quickly for dynasty purposes. Blount should be gone after this season, and I think CC will get a generous time share with Ajayi starting next season.

From what I see he looks very similar to Kareem Hunt. Versatile runner/receiver, same build, similar measurables.

I'll just put this here... I got a lot of grief for suggesting Clement could amount to something

spider321 said:
Clement ran an old lady 40 time at the combine.

This fact probably scared a lot of real NFL GM's as well as us fantasy "GM's".

Zyphros said:
I see nothing special with Clement, but I'd bet he finds a nice role on a team as a backup.  More of a waiver wire add when the starter goes down kind of situation, and fills in admirably.  Foreman I've come around on a lot lately and was my pick here. 

Dr. Dan said:
Foreman will eat himself out of the league. Clement has dealt with his fair share of injuries. At times he's looked like the second coming of Gordon in WI. In the right scenario he has potential to just explode. 

I know his 40 time was not great- I actually watched it live- however I am not putting much stock into that. He plays faster than how he ran. I'm not one to be gung-ho on badger players just because it's the home team, but he is going to be something awesome if he lands in the right scenario

Borden said:
His 40 is scary, as spider mentioned. Has there ever been a FF relevant RB that has ran a 4.68 or worse? 

Dr. Dan said:
IMO 0.05 or so is not that big of a difference. But here's an interesting list

Eddie Lacy 4.64
Thomas Rawls 4.65
Abdullah 4.60
Jeremy Hill 4.66
Rex Burkhead 4.73
Theo Riddick 4.68
Alfred Morris 4.67

By the way, Clement ran a 4.55 at his pro day in Madison Wisconsin- which is WAY closer to his 40s historically 

He's a GREAT receiver out of the backfield, but was never used that way in Madison. I just think he has potential to be a 4th-5th round steal. I guess we will all have to just disagree on him. If I'm wrong I'm wrong and you probably didn't' waste a huge pick on him, but if I'm right- and he lands in a great scenario and is able to do his thing- you could be in for a very good steal. Can thank me later for at least getting you to look at him. All depends where he's drafted

Borden said:
Thanks. Not a great list but could be worse. Clement has some bad all around combine numbers. 

40 YARD DASH: 4.68 SEC

BENCH PRESS: 19 REPS

VERTICAL JUMP: 28.5 INCH

BROAD JUMP: 115.0 INCH

Most prospects have to over come one or maybe two bad combine numbers but Clement will have to over come 3 and didn't do the other events.

Dr. Dan said:
at his proday ~2 weeks ago:

40 yard dash 4.55
Vertical Jump: 32.0
Broad Jump: 9.7 (116.4")

Borden said:
"Wisconsin Pro day: Like at Western Michigan, the Badgers' top-rated prospect -- projected first round offensive tackle Ryan Ramczyk -- attended Wednesday's Pro Day but was unable to participate much after recent hip surgery. Running back Corey Clement helped himself the most, recording a 4.55 second time in the 40-yard dash after struggling in this event (4.68) at the Combine. The 5-10, 220 pound runner also improved in his vertical jump (32-0) and broad jump (10-0) and caught the ball very well. Clement recorded a 28-5 vertical and 9-7 broad jump, respectively, in Indianapolis. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com"

Dr. Dan said:
:shrug:

Worth a look at least. Not syaing he's the next Marshawn Lynch. He was looking like a superstar until he had some injuries and never really seemed to rebound. These kinds of guys are what make a dynasty owner look like a genius if they pan out. He could very well flame out and be a bum in 1-2 years. In a place like Buffalo, Philadelphia where he could get a lot of receptions he could really shine. 

I'll just put this here... I got a lot of grief for suggesting Clement could amount to something

Please stop.  You were correct.  Congrats.  Act like it has happened more than once.  This just litters the thread, not to mention attracting animosity and trolls.

TIA.

Please stop.  You were correct.  Congrats.  Act like it has happened more than once.  This just litters the thread, not to mention attracting animosity and trolls.

TIA.
I got a lot of grief for it, and I was correct. Just noting that. 

If you don't like it, that's fine. I'm right more often than I'm wrong, but when I get a lot of grief for my statements then I will point it out. A lot of people completely discard what some posters may say based off of preconceived notions or whatever, instead of having meaningful debate. 

Back to discussion on the guy- I'm pretty excited for Clement's future. He has dynasty steal written all over him for those who didn't discard him based off his 40 time alone. Him and Ajayi could make a pretty serious combo next year, assuming Blount doesn't come back

You quoted me saying that he'd be a role player and a nice backup... I was right too.  I don't know why you're pimping yourself as a hero though.  Good on you for saying the same thing I said?  He still has Ajayi and Blount to deal with though, even though he's proved his worth as a pass catcher.  

I got a lot of grief for it, and I was correct. Just noting that. 

If you don't like it, that's fine. I'm right more often than I'm wrong, but when I get a lot of grief for my statements then I will point it out. A lot of people completely discard what some posters may say based off of preconceived notions or whatever, instead of having meaningful debate. 

Back to discussion on the guy- I'm pretty excited for Clement's future. He has dynasty steal written all over him for those who didn't discard him based off his 40 time alone. Him and Ajayi could make a pretty serious combo next year, assuming Blount doesn't come back
Please post where you got grief but were incorrect as well. Thanks! 

He would get a bump in carries if Smallwood sat but he's not going to be catching passes anytime soon. I honestly think we might see some Barner if Smallwood sits. Clement will always need a Blount injury to be truly relevant I think.
He just had 100 yards rec on the Superbowl  :lol:

He's far more valuable to the team then in fantasy.  Blount will be gone next year, but he'll still be splitting with Ajayi.  Fantasy wise, he's a good bet in a flex spot though, they love using him in that 3rd down/pass catching role.  Didn't do much in the regular season there, but certainly shined in the playoffs, I can see that going forward.

Best guess next year, he'll average ~7 rushes a game, 3-4 catches.  Probably not startable.   He has a real possibility if he continues to progress to be the starter in 2019 though.

He's my favorite flier in rounds 10+.  Such an easy choice to draft him and hope for the best, especially in PPR leagues.  
Fantastic pick at that point. I sense that something big is coming with him, either this year or next. If possible go back and note the trust in crucial situations in the playoffs from RB coach Duce Staley, who from my understanding had autonomy re the RB rotation. Killed the clock vs ATL. Philly Special in the SB. Caught a difficult TD pass in the SB. Over 100 yds receiving in the the SB, including the longest reception ever by a RB. I’m not 100% certain on whether he was used exclusively as the 3rd down RB post Sproles injury but he was regularly out there in ALL situations, goal line and 3rd down during the regular season and playoffs. Duce is now the Assistant HC and Clement is a year in. Arrow is big time pointing up, especially in dynasty considering Ajayi is a ‘19 FA and Sproles came back for 1 more year. 

Brandon Lee Gowton✔@BrandonGowton

Corey Clement getting some first team RB reps as Eagles practice group install in red zone.

11:04 AM - May 29, 2018

Its very early in training camp (obviously) but people should be paying attention to this kid and how he's used in the Eagles' offense. His participation in the red zone continues.

From November 2017:

Only six players in the NFL have scored more red-zone touchdowns than Clement, and we're talking some pretty big names — Todd Gurley has nine, Mark Ingram, Ezekiel Elliott and Melvin Gordon have seven, and Zach Ertz and Jimmy Graham have six each.

So Gurley, Ingram, Elliott and Gordon — all first-round draft picks — are the only running backs with more red-zone TDs this year than a kid who went undrafted in April, was fighting just three months ago to make the Eagles' roster and doesn't even start.

What makes Clement's five red-zone touchdowns so remarkable is that he has only eight red-zone touches all year!

And that ranks him … pause for math … 92nd in the league.

So he's got the 92nd-most red-zone chances and the sixth-most red-zone touchdowns.

Now that's production.

Clement has more red-zone TDs this year than LeSean McCoy (two), Carlos Hyde (four), LeGarrette Blount (three), Kareem Hunt (three) and Jonathan Stewart (two). 

And those five backs are averaging 42 red-zone touches each. Clement has eight.

Clement's five touchdowns are already the most by an Eagles rookie running back in 64 years and also the most by an undrafted Eagle in 64 years. 

From November 2017:

Only six players in the NFL have scored more red-zone touchdowns than Clement, and we're talking some pretty big names — Todd Gurley has nine, Mark Ingram, Ezekiel Elliott and Melvin Gordon have seven, and Zach Ertz and Jimmy Graham have six each.

So Gurley, Ingram, Elliott and Gordon — all first-round draft picks — are the only running backs with more red-zone TDs this year than a kid who went undrafted in April, was fighting just three months ago to make the Eagles' roster and doesn't even start.

What makes Clement's five red-zone touchdowns so remarkable is that he has only eight red-zone touches all year!

And that ranks him … pause for math … 92nd in the league.

So he's got the 92nd-most red-zone chances and the sixth-most red-zone touchdowns.

Now that's production.

Clement has more red-zone TDs this year than LeSean McCoy (two), Carlos Hyde (four), LeGarrette Blount (three), Kareem Hunt (three) and Jonathan Stewart (two). 

And those five backs are averaging 42 red-zone touches each. Clement has eight.

Clement's five touchdowns are already the most by an Eagles rookie running back in 64 years and also the most by an undrafted Eagle in 64 years. 
Good stuff!  Thanks for sharing!

It could just be randomness due to small sample size.....but he does seem like a good fit for the offense.

He's my favorite flier in rounds 10+.  Such an easy choice to draft him and hope for the best, especially in PPR leagues.  
10th? I picked him up in the 16th. 16 teams, but IDP. PPR, start 1-2 RB, so there is some reason for him to have dropped but he seems to be a great value.

10 running backs to target if you go WR early in fantasy

COREY CLEMENT, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES (ADP: ROUND 10)

Last year the Eagles ranked third in points scored, top-five in red-zone trips per game and converted 64.1 percent of their red-zone trips into touchdowns (second-highest). The latter statistic is the one I want to hone in on here, with LeGarrette Blount’s departure leaving potential goal-line work for Clement to capitalize on. Blount’s 10 carries inside the 5-yard line led the team (55.6 percent), with Clement second on the team with four. Jay Ajayi had zero. If the team’s not confident in Ajayi in these short-yardage situations, Clement could turn into a Latavius Murray-esque goal-line-stealing back with upside. Philadelphia has 190 unclaimed handoffs up for grab this year. If Ajayi were to miss any time due to injury, Clement could become an every-week fantasy starter.

if you believe that Ajayi is a decent RB, Clement is a wasted pick for you. same goes for Sproles..

but if you think Ajayi is a bum, and Sproles is 90 years old and crippled, then you'll want to take notice of Clement in the next two games..

Hmmmmm. In one of my FFPC style leagues he was just dropped and will be eligible for waivers. I absolutely have room for him. First waiver run of the season always has a few good targets. On a $1000 BB budget, how much would y'all bid to grab him?

To clarify, I'm not asking for advice. I am just curious. It would be a speculative add with upside. I wouldn't be starting him. Yet.

Tanner9919 said:
if you believe that Ajayi is a decent RB, Clement is a wasted pick for you. same goes for Sproles..

but if you think Ajayi is a bum, and Sproles is 90 years old and crippled, then you'll want to take notice of Clement in the next two games..

I assume by this advice that you are used to playing in small leagues.

I think Clement is a great RB to target this year...you don’t have to use a high pick on him and you can easily see a path to production...he is in a good offense, he looked real good as an undrafted rookie last year, I can not picture him not getting the opportunity to carve out a bigger role in this offense and the rest of the backfield is nothing overwhelming...Ajayi has injury concerns and while he could be very solid I don’t think he is bellcow good, Sproles is on the back 9 and the other pieces there all have question marks...for where you can get him he has a chance to turn into the type of depth RB that you could be really glad you have in week 10 or 12 when the injuries start piling up...these type of guys often get overlooked this time of year because so many are trying to dig up the next Kamara-type of home run...

I think Clement is a great RB to target this year...you don’t have to use a high pick on him and you can easily see a path to production...he is in a good offense, he looked real good as an undrafted rookie last year, I can not picture him not getting the opportunity to carve out a bigger role in this offense and the rest of the backfield is nothing overwhelming...Ajayi has injury concerns and while he could be very solid I don’t think he is bellcow good, Sproles is on the back 9 and the other pieces there all have question marks...for where you can get him he has a chance to turn into the type of depth RB that you could be really glad you have in week 10 or 12 when the injuries start piling up...these type of guys often get overlooked this time of year because so many are trying to dig up the next Kamara=type of home run...
Clement is a guy you could flip for a 1st rounder next year, possibly more. I'm pretty excited about his potential

barackdhouse said:
Hmmmmm. In one of my FFPC style leagues he was just dropped and will be eligible for waivers. I absolutely have room for him. First waiver run of the season always has a few good targets. On a $1000 BB budget, how much would y'all bid to grab him?

To clarify, I'm not asking for advice. I am just curious. It would be a speculative add with upside. I wouldn't be starting him. Yet.
I drafted him in the rookie/FA draft in my ffpc league in the 4th.  I’m not sure about how much to bid but first waiver run of the season I wouldn’t expect very high prices unless it’s a gem of a guy available.  I’d expect you’re safe with 20-30 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread