What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Harvey Weinstein Scandal / The Me Too Movement (1 Viewer)

I fear we've gone too far to the other side.  Look at the Franklin issue, goofing around and kissing someone and now he may have to resign?

And I am by no means defending actual sexual assault.  I have no idea what Lauer did, maybe he should have been fired, but the standard now seems to be get accused, no defense allowed, and punishment is doled out.  Slippery slope imho.  
I agree about Franken but with Lauer there has to be something big that was going to drop for nbc to move like they did.

You have no idea regarding how NBC came to their decision on firing Lauer.

Franken seems to have no intention of resigning.

People want to make this slippery slope argument yet I fail to see any example they can provide which highlights this argument.
I specifically said I had no idea about Lauer and maybe he deserved to be fired.  Franken is getting enormous pressure to step down.  My concern is that each allegation is taken as fact now it seems.  The Moore case was meticulously investigated and corroborated by the Post, these other ones, not so much.

And so if some lady in your past came out and said you propositioned her and made her feel uncomfortable so you harassed her, you'd be good with that?

I fear we've gone too far to the other side.  Look at the Franklin issue, goofing around and kissing someone and now he may have to resign?

And I am by no means defending actual sexual assault.  I have no idea what Lauer did, maybe he should have been fired, but the standard now seems to be get accused, no defense allowed, and punishment is doled out.  Slippery slope imho.  
What Lauer did must have been pretty bad. To fire someone that quick is noteworthy.

By the way, Franken hasn’t been fired or stepped down. He’s been crucified in the press and his political career is forever damaged. A just punishment?  Perhaps.  

What Lauer did must have been pretty bad. To fire someone that quick is noteworthy.

By the way, Franken hasn’t been fired or stepped down. He’s been crucified in the press and his political career is forever damaged. A just punishment?  Perhaps.  
A just punishment?  For what exactly?  Faking touching some chicks boobs and apparently kissing someone when they didn't want to be kissed?  Am I missing something? 

I specifically said I had no idea about Lauer and maybe he deserved to be fired.  Franken is getting enormous pressure to step down.  My concern is that each allegation is taken as fact now it seems.  The Moore case was meticulously investigated and corroborated by the Post, these other ones, not so much.

And so if some lady in your past came out and said you propositioned her and made her feel uncomfortable so you harassed her, you'd be good with that?
Franken has apologized and stated he needs to work hard to regain the trust of the people, strikes me as admitting to the things he was accused of...if not why is he apologizing?

In my mind, the only slippery slope argument you can make is in defense of Moore because he denies the allegations.

In terms of Lauer, you are the one posting about a slippery slope righty after his story broke, it seems logical to think this news prompted your argument.

A just punishment?  For what exactly?  Faking touching some chicks boobs and apparently kissing someone when they didn't want to be kissed?  Am I missing something? 
A birther alleges that he grabbed her ### as she was taking a picture with him at a fair about ten years ago. Her husband was taking the picture and apparently did not notice from her behaviour that anything was amiss.

I think there’s been a couple of women saying he grabbed their while taking pictures with him.  I think, although not certain, that the number of accusers in total is 4 now (including the original one). I think he needs to step down.

I think there’s been a couple of women saying he grabbed their while taking pictures with him.  I think, although not certain, that the number of accusers in total is 4 now (including the original one). I think he needs to step down.
Step down?  The dude has been in thousands of pictures and maybe he put his hand too low in a few so he needs to step down?  Slippery slope activated. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Step down?  The dude has been in thousands of pictures and maybe he put his hand too low so he needs to step down?  Slippery slope activated. 
From an ABCnews story:

”Three of the four women who have accused Sen. Al Franken of groping them have told similar accounts of the alleged incidents, while the fourth presented photographic evidence.”

Yeah - you don’t get to grab a woman’s ### when taking a picture with them - no slippery slope here IMO.

From an ABCnews story:

”Three of the four women who have accused Sen. Al Franken of groping them have told similar accounts of the alleged incidents, while the fourth presented photographic evidence.”

Yeah - you don’t get to grab a woman’s ### when taking a picture with them - no slippery slope here IMO.
Again, he's been asked to be in thousands of pictures.  I once put my hand on my MIL's ### while taking a picture.  And believe me it wasn't intentional.  We really need to apply some kind of reality scale to these kind of accusations.  

From what I recall there’s some social media posts one woman did after the alleged incident calling Franken a creep - her story seems legit and has evidence, I’m not sure why we should give him a pass.

Totally get where this sentiment comes from. The Franken thing seems to be too strong of a backlash, not on the Roy Moore/Weinstein/Trump level.  

Everyone is running with these allegations, they haven't been proven, you can see where a vindictive ex might make something up....on and on. 

All true.  

My answer is: That sucks, and I hope it doesn't happen that often.  But have we gone too far the other way? No. Not by a long shot.  Women have been dealing with this for decades, one good politician gets his career damaged a bit too much, and we have gone too far the other way? I don't think so.  

It's even a little insulting to all the innocent women of sexual assault, who have seen their careers derailed because they didn't play along, or been fired for speaking up, to get all worked up about Franken taking some bad PR.  Franken can write a book about his experiences, and appear on Oprah and Ellen next year, have a good cry, hug it out, and make a ton of money if he wants to.  

I completely understand the concern about McCarthyism in regards to this, and some innocent guys getting swept up in the hysteria. And we are going to read a lot more stuff like this from the conservative media soon, I think. The same way they like to make people think false rape allegations are a regular thing. 

There might be some collateral damage from this whole thing. And that would be unfair. But then maybe men will be getting a taste of what women have been dealing with forever.

Totally get where this sentiment comes from. The Franken thing seems to be too strong of a backlash, not on the Roy Moore/Weinstein/Trump level.  

Everyone is running with these allegations, they haven't been proven, you can see where a vindictive ex might make something up....on and on. 

All true.  

My answer is: That sucks, and I hope it doesn't happen that often.  But have we gone too far the other way? No. Not by a long shot.  Women have been dealing with this for decades, one good politician gets his career damaged a bit too much, and we have gone too far the other way? I don't think so.  

It's even a little insulting to all the innocent women of sexual assault, who have seen their careers derailed because they didn't play along, or been fired for speaking up, to get all worked up about Franken taking some bad PR.  Franken can write a book about his experiences, and appear on Oprah and Ellen next year, have a good cry, hug it out, and make a ton of money if he wants to.  

I completely understand the concern about McCarthyism in regards to this, and some innocent guys getting swept up in the hysteria. And we are going to read a lot more stuff like this from the conservative media soon, I think. The same way they like to make people think false rape allegations are a regular thing. 

There might be some collateral damage from this whole thing. And that would be unfair. But then maybe men will be getting a taste of what women have been dealing with forever.
This is a terrific post. 

I had a publicist tell me a few days ago that Matt Lauer was next. 

According to her, there is some serious shadenfreude going on, very much like Weinstein. Lauer was not a popular guy, really conceited, and treated a lot of people badly. 

Seems like a similar trajectory to Weinstein: Too powerful, a lot of people knew, and when the opening to take him down presented itself, people were lined up.  

When someone like Lauer gets fired, before the story comes out, you know they have the goods on him.  

Franken Allegations:

1. Tweeden - Breast photo - Forced a kiss w/tongue.  

2. Menz - Her words "he moves his hands to my butt".  That's a bit of an odd thing to say.  Did he touch it, grab it?  

3. Two anonymous accusers claimed he grabbed their butts, one of them saying that Franken asked her to come to the bathroom with him.

So yeah I get your point.  It's certainly not at a level of Weinstein or Spacey or Conyers.  Also, this is a comedian and if you've ever been around comedians or funny people, they tend to do nutty things.  I mean going back in time to the SNL era (when they were all on drugs etc) seems a bit much.

The biggest slippery slope I see is lumping everyone together.  That's not a good thing.  Franken (at least based on what we have so far) is not Weinstein or anywhere close.

Franken Allegations:

2. Menz - Her words "he moves his hands to my butt".  That's a bit of an odd thing to say.  Did he touch it, grab it?  

3. Two anonymous accusers claimed he grabbed their butts, one of them saying that Franken asked her to come to the bathroom with him.

So yeah I get your point.  It's certainly not at a level of Weinstein or Spacey or Conyers.  Also, this is a comedian and if you've ever been around comedians or funny people, they tend to do nutty things.  I mean going back in time to the SNL era (when they were all on drugs etc) seems a bit much.

The biggest slippery slope I see is lumping everyone together.  That's not a good thing.  Franken (at least based on what we have so far) is not Weinstein or anywhere close.
Just curious, do you feel this strongly about the pedophile allegations against Roy Moore? Or does the R next to his name make that ok with you?

Just curious, do you feel this strongly about the pedophile allegations against Roy Moore? Or does the R next to his name make that ok with you?
I can barely stomach reading sexual assault allegations.  I'll be honest, I can't follow the Roy Moore stuff because when we get into the world of pedophilia, I can't stomach even reading about it.  If that's what he's guilty of, then yes that's as bad or worse than anything any of these other guys are accused of (except Spacey?).  

Also, I'm not a republican, so I don't know where that came from.  I've never cast a vote for a single republican in my life.

Lauer is a scumbag and this is long overdue.  I remember Katie Couric saying on camera that Matt Lauer used to grab her ### repeatedly, and nobody cared at all when that footage aired.  What was that, five years ago? Six?

I can barely stomach reading sexual assault allegations.  I'll be honest, I can't follow the Roy Moore stuff because when we get into the world of pedophilia, I can't stomach even reading about it.  If that's what he's guilty of, then yes that's as bad or worse than anything any of these other guys are accused of (except Spacey?).  

Also, I'm not a republican, so I don't know where that came from.  I've never cast a vote for a single republican in my life.
I think Weinstein is the worst so far.

Lauer cultivated an image of a "nice guy" on the Today show for decades, but the cracks in the façade started to show up 5 years ago when Ann Curry was abruptly let go. There's been rumors about him being a power hungry scumbag behind the scenes slipping out since then so this doesn't seem surprising.

More so than Roy Moore? At least Weinstein’s accusers (to my knowledge) were all adults.  Moore is accused of attempting to rape a 16 year old and molesting a 14 year old. 
Yeah, I think so.  Given how long he did it for and the shear number of women.

I can see why someone would pick Moore though.

Yeah, I think so.  Given how long he did it for and the shear number of women.

I can see why someone would pick Moore though.
I mean, yeah, it's arguing over who should have his genitals burned off with a hot poker before being thrown into a pit of hellfire first, not which one should be.

Moore was over at least decades, and I can't get over the assumptions I have about what he did in Vietnam right before he started this in the U.S.

I mean, yeah, it's arguing over who should have his genitals burned off with a hot poker before being thrown into a pit of hellfire first, not which one should be.

Moore was over at least decades, and I can't get over the assumptions I have about what he did in Vietnam right before he started this in the U.S.
I don’t consider dating 16-year olds on par with the rape and sexual assault.  I find it disgusting personally, but it wasn’t illegal as far as I can tell.

The incident with the 14-year old incident and the rape accusation are what I’m looking at for him.

I don’t consider dating 16-year olds on par with the rape and sexual assault.  I find it disgusting personally, but it wasn’t illegal as far as I can tell.

The incident with the 14-year old incident and the rape accusation are what I’m looking at for him.
He's also accused of groping 14-16 year olds in his office for years.

The one who made headlines was 28, I believe.  Perhaps I'm confusing two incidents.
Right.  As I understand it we have three allegations of criminal activity.  The molestations of Corfman, the attempted rape of the waitress, and the groping of an adult female client in the 90s (after Moore was already married).

And then we have accounts (not sure allegations is the correct word) of Moore dating and aggressively hitting on/creeping out teenagers.  Moore bungled this by half-admitting the legal but icky stuff on Hannity and then backing away and being evasive.  He probably could have just said that he was looking for a Godly wife uncorrupted by the world.  It would have been gross, but nothing really different than we already knew from his autobiography.  

Franken Allegations:

Did the Franken assaults happen when he was on SNL or when he was a Senator or both?

The more recent Franken incidents fall below even GHWB's "david coppa-feel" in my estimation. 
I think it's hard to claim a grope was unintentional when you follow it up with an invitation for a tryst in the bathroom.  

Obviously, there are degrees of bad behavior.  And obviously, Franken and GHWB's are less egregious than Weinstein's and even Conyers'.  But it's still gross.  It still makes women feel crappy.  And it's not something they're just subjected to once in their lives.  It's a pattern of behavior they face.  

I think it's hard to claim a grope was unintentional when you follow it up with an invitation for a tryst in the bathroom.  

Obviously, there are degrees of bad behavior.  And obviously, Franken and GHWB's are less egregious than Weinstein's and even Conyers'.  But it's still gross.  It still makes women feel crappy.  And it's not something they're just subjected to once in their lives.  It's a pattern of behavior they face.  
i can't disagree with that. as i said earlier in the thread, i'm fine with Franken stepping down and leaving Congress. i think for sake consistency and integrity it is necessary. there can't be a double standard based on party lines. 

:mellow:  

A flirty business and this may be criminalizing courtship?

Geraldo Rivera‏Verified account @GeraldoRivera 2h2 hours ago

Sad about @MLauer great guy, highly skilled & empathetic w guests & a real

gentleman to my family & me. News is a flirty business & it seems like current

epidemic of #SexHarassmentAllegations may be criminalizing courtship &

conflating it w predation. What about #GarrisonKeillor?

Lauer is a scumbag and this is long overdue.  I remember Katie Couric saying on camera that Matt Lauer used to grab her ### repeatedly, and nobody cared at all when that footage aired.  What was that, five years ago? Six?
And was it ok if she didn't care?

Users who are viewing this thread