Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He gets stronger as the game goes on though. Started out with 7 carries for 0 yards and then banged out 3 carries for 4 yards.  

My dog hopes I never put him on a leash as short as ROJO's.

RIP Ronald Jones Hype Train 6/2020-9/2020

19 minutes ago, menobrown said:

My dog hopes I never put him on a leash as short as ROJO's.

Yeah , no kidding!

Seems clear to me that when healthy, these guys are going to split work ROS and Fournette will be the 3rd down RB.

If that 3-game run RoJo had can't buy you a workhorse job, nothing can.

9 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

Jones has another year on his contract, Fournette does not. Fournette will be just 26 in January.  Wonder what they choose to do for 2021

Let Fournette walk.  Draft a RB in round 2.  Jones/Rookie split carries and compete next year.

Ronald Jones rushed seven times for 23 yards in the Bucs' Week 8 win over the Giants.

He caught all four of his targets for an additional 23 yards but fumbled at the end of one of those in the second quarter deep in Tampa territory. That was pretty much the end of Jones' night, as coach Bruce Arians immediately turned to Leonard Fournette as the Bucs' lead back. Fournette rushed 15 times for 52 yards and saw six targets. Fournette is the back to have moving forward here, but Jones should still be rostered as an RB3 ahead of Week 9 against the Saints.

Nov 2, 2020, 11:42 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

Bye Ronald, see you next week.

7 minutes ago, Capella said:

As a Bucs fan I cannot even begin to tell you how done I am with this guy. 

Context: Ronald Jones just fumbled again. He's still in the game doe.

Edited by The Frankman

Ronald Jones rushed 23 times for 192 yards and a touchdown in the Bucs' Week 10 win over the Panthers.

The day is even more impressive considering that Jones' lone reception, his first touch of the game, was fumbled away early in the first quarter. Bruce Arians displayed great trust in Jones after that, and was repaid by a 98-yard touchdown run, where Jones made S Tre Boston look foolish in the open field. Considering Jones combined for 23 carries over the course of the previous three games, this is a strong sign that the Bucs once again trust RoJo as their primary option out of the backfield. That would make him a top 15 option against the Rams in Week 11.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman
16 hours ago, The Frankman said:

I hope the guys losing their minds IN THE FIRST QUARTER cut Jones. This is why you play 4 quarters.

The only ones losing their minds are the ones grossly overstating the reactions.  Of course no one is cutting him, but on a week to week basis he's no safer than Anne Boleyn was if he makes a mistake under King Thomas VI's rule.

• Laughing 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Greg Auman @gregauman

Ronald Jones' average of 4.8 yards per catch is the worst by any NFL player with 25+ catches in any season since 2013, when the Texans' Ben Tate averaged 4.1. To find another 25-catch season worse, you have to go back to 2007. He's averaging more yards per carry (4.9) right now.

https://twitter.com/gregauman/status/1331593670747938816?s=21

Ronald Jones rushed nine times for 66 yards in the Bucs' Week 12 loss to the Chiefs, adding a 37-yard touchdown catch on two targets.

Jones out-touched Leonard Fournette 10-6 and did the bulk of his damage on his catch-and-run 37-yard score where he tight-roped the left sideline and hurdled over a defender to get into the end zone in the second quarter. With Fournette sputtering of late, Jones looks like he might be retaking No. 1 duties. The Bucs get their bye before a Week 14 date with the Vikings.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said Ronald Jones "needs to have 20 touches."

"I don't think there's any doubt," Arians said on getting Jones more involved. "He needs to have 20 touches." He also claimed RoJo's lack of touches were a result of the offense needing more wideouts on the field to play from behind. Even so, Jones caught a 37-yard touchdown from Tom Brady in the second quarter then egregiously had just one target for the rest of the game. Jones also closed the game with a single touch after he sprinted upfield for a 34-yard run mid-third quarter. Overall, Tampa Bay's running back usage has been impossible to sift through, but it's very clear that Jones been the team's best back by a wide margin over the last month. Whether Arians finally begins treating him as such is anyone's guess.

SOURCE: Carmen Vitali on Twitter

Nov 30, 2020, 1:23 PM ET

1 hour ago, Faust said:

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said Ronald Jones "needs to have 20 touches."

"I don't think there's any doubt," Arians said on getting Jones more involved. "He needs to have 20 touches." He also claimed RoJo's lack of touches were a result of the offense needing more wideouts on the field to play from behind. Even so, Jones caught a 37-yard touchdown from Tom Brady in the second quarter then egregiously had just one target for the rest of the game. Jones also closed the game with a single touch after he sprinted upfield for a 34-yard run mid-third quarter. Overall, Tampa Bay's running back usage has been impossible to sift through, but it's very clear that Jones been the team's best back by a wide margin over the last month. Whether Arians finally begins treating him as such is anyone's guess.

SOURCE: Carmen Vitali on Twitter

Nov 30, 2020, 1:23 PM ET

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Welcome to reality, Ariens. Why it took him a season and a half to figure this super obvious thing out is a head-scratcher. He coulda just listened to me & @Stompin' Tom Connors
:shrug: 

Honestly the most frustrating part of owning any RB on the Bucs as long as Arians is there is that there is literally seems to be zero rhyme or reason behind how he distributes the touches.

I see Jones put in the doghouse and removed from playing for entire halves of football games when he drops a pass -- I've seen Fournette drop multiple easy passes -- AS ARIANS' DESIGNATED PASS CATCHING BACK -- and still gets carries and targets. 

Jones has clearly been more dynamic in the run game and has proven multiple times through this season that giving him the majority of carries helps this team move chains and be successful. He also looks more dynamic in space in the passing game when he gets a handle on the ball. I don't see Fournette being head and shoulders any better in the pass pro game either -- seen him blow an assignment or two over the last few weeks.

So I call shenanigans on anything Arians says. He is a complete moron when it comes to leveraging his talent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Andy Dufresne said:

And just like Atlanta promising more red zone looks for Julio...it's not going to happen.

It’s so weird. It’s like the alcoholic who sees the light & swears he’ll never drink again...then come next Sunday he’s belly up to the bar.

Leopards don’t change their spots and all that. 

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Welcome to reality, Ariens. Why it took him a season and a half to figure this super obvious thing out is a head-scratcher. He coulda just listened to me & @Stompin' Tom Connors
:shrug: 

He isn't wrong about RoJo's flaws. Where he's dropped the ball is not looking around and realizing his alternatives are objectively worse and flawed themselves. I get they're 7-5 and (probably) rassling with Tom behind the scenes, but he's really done a terrible job with this team this year.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

He isn't wrong about RoJo's flaws. Where he's dropped the ball is not looking around and realizing his alternatives are objectively worse and flawed themselves.

Partly agree. Some of RoJo’s flaws come from usage. When a player gets more use, they often improve.

Forcing him into a timeshare with a clearly inferior Barber & a washed-looking Fournette isn’t a great way to get RoJo reps to improve where skills are in need.

Part of it is play calling. Some of it is on Brady. 2 of the fumbles on receptions happened because Brady threw to Jones with a defender bearing down on him, and the literal instant possession was established *pop!* - to me that was on Brady for leading his receiver into trouble rather than any ball security issue. Very few NFL receivers could hold onto those. One of them was so low and outside that Jones had to go to his knees to catch it, a split second before taking a crown of a helmet to the football. 

That was the one Arians benched Jones for the entire game over. 

But Jones is also a punishing runner who gets stronger over the course of the game. He was that in college too. He needs volume for that to be effective. And contrary to some calling him “SlowJo” he’s showed breakaway speed when the OL has created a hole for him to run through.

I’ve not been that impressed by TB OL’s  run blocking this year. They have their moments but they’re inconsistent.

I’m not saying Jones doesn’t have flaws. I’m saying the way to fix them isn’t to crush him like a bug for every little thing, especially when things aren’t always his fault. And one way to improve his flaws is getting him touches. He should be a 20+ touch a game RB.

there have been a number of “wow” plays this year, where you can’t help but be impressed by the kid.

But next week Fournette will probably get 15 touches because nothing Ariens does makes sense. :doh: 

Arians is one of the more stubborn HCs in the league. He might even be one of the worst (definitely overrated).

I think back to how he handcuffed DJ for almost the whole season because something about rookies needing to earn it or not get the bighead or some such nonsense. Ridiculous. Not that RoJo is a world-beater, but wake up & smell the coffee, Bruce.

Edited by Football Jones
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, zeeshan2 said:

Arians said Ronald Jones may have fractured a pinkie

Rotoworld:

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said Ronald Jones "may" have fractured his pinky in Sunday's win against the Vikings.

Arians confirmed Jones played through the injury on Sunday but remains unsure on the extent of it. It's possible Jones will need a pin in it, but even that doesn't guarantee he'll sit this upcoming week against the Falcons. Jones handled 19-of-25 backfield touches with Leonard Fournette healthy scratched against Minnesota and would remain a top-12 option if cleared for Sunday. His participation in practice with this injury will be telling.

RELATED: 

Leonard Fournette

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Dec 14, 2020, 2:00 PM ET

• Thanks 1

Not like he’d be hurt as a receiver if he did with his one target that sailed 6’ over his head. 

Brady looks like hammered #### at times, and then he’ll come out and look great. It’s weird.

Anyway, round 2 of the playoffs I need RoJo, so hopefully he gets his pinkie together. 

If he needs a pin, that sounds like surgery is required which also sounds that playing with it isn't the best idea regardless of what hand it's on.

I am all for the "this is football, rub some dirt on it and take care of it in the offseason" but am preparing for the worst.

If Jones is out, which at this point seems unlikely, I wonder who the starter would be?

Fournette was a healthy scratch, and is seemingly in the doghouse. Would it be McCoy? Maybe a 3 man split with vaughn involved too? 

Maybe brady just throws 45 times against an awful falcons secondary?

Bucs coach Bruce Arians expects Ronald Jones (finger) to practice later in the week.

Jones had pins inserted in his broken pinky finger on Tuesday. The Bucs are holding out hope he can play through it, though Chris Godwin missed a game with a similar injury. Leonard Fournette, who was inactive in Week 14, would start an be the lead back if Jones misses time.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Dec 16, 2020, 1:45 PM ET

What a roller coaster this week. Goes from maybe a fracture to definitely surgery to hey wait he’s gonna play to COVID. :wall:

I am now left with the spectacular choices at RB2 of Sony Michel or LeSean McCoy (who I just claimed with my last $2 of FAAB)

Lord help me. 

On the bright side, I beat my opponent by 50+ last week & with Gronk & Evans maybe losing Jones means even more passing for the Bucs against a very beatable Falcons secondary. :shrug:

still; less than ideal. Hopefully RoJo is back for the LCG & also hopefully I can make it there without him. 

Good to know now that we wont have him rather than playing the will he or won’t he all week...or him being used  sparingly because of the finger.

Hopefully can advance without him this week and now he has a week to heal up a bit to maybe help teams in the finals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Hopefully can advance without him this week and now he has a week to heal up a bit to maybe help teams in the finals.

The thought of "fresh legs in the LCG" did occur to me - just makes it a lot harder to get there.