What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (2 Viewers)

This is what I love about impatient folks (mostly Millennials),  they can't see more than 5 minutes in front of them.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I love about inpatient folks (mostly Millennials),  they can't see more than 5 minutes in front of them.
I’m a millennial and I just bought my first share of RoJo from an impatient baby boomer. I still don’t really like RoJo but it felt like I got him for free.

:(

Evan Silva‏ @evansilva 10h10 hours ago

#Bucs rookie RB Ronald Jones has more carries (12) than yards (11) this preseason and has been targeted twice in the passing game, dropping both.

Good move.
He's looked really bad, in camp and in games, overall.  Acquiring him could be a good move depending on cost of acquisition.  I just can't imagine those that drafted him and looking to sell for pennies on the dollar this point.

I had Quizz Rodgers getting a decent share of carries. It sounds preposterous but he’s been with Koetter for awhile. Apparently he loves the guy because he’s always getting close to 100 carries. Koetter also tries to get 600 pass attempts, I just don’t see massive upside at RB with the offense in place as it is. It’s clear the passing game question marks in college are now clear works in progress. He struggled running anything but offtackle in college and it seems the Bucs do not understand that. Crazy to me that a GM who could identify Howard, Evans, Godwin (and I think Justin Watson will be a deep sleeper that comes through at some point) is also a guy who wasted a high pick on a kicker and drafted a RB he didn’t understand the strengths and weaknesses of. I haven’t been a fan of Ronald Jones but he’s also 21, don’t go jump off a bridge yet. He’ll be given a lot of opportunity to grow, I just think he needs quite a bit of improvement and is probably not a true workhorse due to where his weaknesses are.

He's looked really bad, in camp and in games, overall.  Acquiring him could be a good move depending on cost of acquisition.  I just can't imagine those that drafted him and looking to sell for pennies on the dollar this point.
This is completely correct.

The depth chart will likely be Barber-Rodgers-Jones-Shaun Wilson with Barber/Rodgers splitting 3rd down duties and Wilson potentially working in.

Jones has limited upside because he's only a 2 down back (which is stupid in today's NFL). I'd expect very little from him in 2017, barring injury.

The counter-argument is that the Bucs invested a 2nd round pick in him and will give him every chance to shine. Medium-term he might be the Bucs best runner on the team, but if he can't improve in pass pro or catch the football (which he couldn't do at USC and hasn't done with the Bucs) his upside is very limited. 

Haven't seen the plays. is he playing behind garbage OL or is he running like Lamar Miller. Fall down at first sight of a defender and/or run right into the back of the OL.

Haven't seen the plays. is he playing behind garbage OL or is he running like Lamar Miller. Fall down at first sight of a defender and/or run right into the back of the OL.
Have not watched all of the them, but it could be a case of small sample size.

This is what I love about impatient folks (mostly Millennials),  they can't see more than 5 minutes in front of them.

Edited for spelling.
I mean yea. He hasn’t looked good but he’s had like one half of a game worth of carries. 

If you're a fan, no better time to buy.
That’s the issue. Hard to know if he’s going to be good even if early returns are poor.

Not a big college follower so I’m only going off the buzz. Clearly the Bucs thought highly enough of him to take him in the 2nd, but doesn’t mean a whole lot.

Still leery of RoJo. My original concern was does he have enough lead in his pants for his skill set, which is a concern for virtually all smaller RBs.

He's GOT to be a competent receiver to even have a chance at being a long-term feature back. I don't believe Barber is the answer so Jones is likely to get a shot at some point, but not sure what he can do with it.

RoJo is one of those guys who I'll neither bang the table for or totally dismiss (like Abdullah). I like some parts of his game, but it's very questionable whether he's going to be worth a pick in the top-half of the 1st round in rookie drafts.

Then you are probably the last person in the world to say it is now a buyer's market.
Other than the fact that he's disappointed in preseason and I've done fantasy long enough to know that some owners are fickle and will move on as a result, yeah, I'm the last person to say that. Surely his value is higher now than it was back when he was first drafted in rookie drafts, right?

Why are you even replying to me? 

Why are you even replying to me? 
Because you posted in this thread and said something I found ridiculous.

As far as I know, responses to posts that say things such as If you're a fan, no better time to buy are allowed by the mods in this forum.

This was the snarky response that added nothing to the topic.

I think Joe would want us to be better than this.
If so, then I apologize for the snark.

However, someone who has never ever liked Jones should not be advising others on a buy now opportunity, which was the point I was trying to make.

If so, then I apologize for the snark.

However, someone who has never ever liked Jones should not be advising others on a buy now opportunity, which was the point I was trying to make.
Thanks.

Although no one needs to be a fan to know relative values and what the pulse of FF is currently at.

Anybody could figure out now would be a good time to buy, if you're a fan. Right now, I'd like to sell for 75 cents on my dollar, but I doubt there is a human in any of my leagues that will take him. But if someone made an offer that included someone *they* thought was only worth 50 cents, but who *I* think is worth more, I'm probably dealing him. Maybe Crowell plus? IDK. 

bust. P. Barber is the guy to own. there's fantasy value in this backfield, the way  Winston looks , he's going to set things on fire this year - the offense is going to have some punch to it..I like what I'm seeing and if Winston plays like that when it counts,  the running game will be impressive..you can't stack 8 in the box Winston will fling it around. the running lanes should be there for Barber..major sleeper potential here.

RJ looks like a misfit out there. 

Tanner9919 said:
bust. P. Barber is the guy to own. there's fantasy value in this backfield, the way  Winston looks , he's going to set things on fire this year - the offense is going to have some punch to it..I like what I'm seeing and if Winston plays like that when it counts,  the running game will be impressive..you can't stack 8 in the box Winston will fling it around. the running lanes should be there for Barber..major sleeper potential here.

RJ looks like a misfit out there. 
I've heard their O line is not so great, but I agree they have so many weapons that it will be impossible to key on the run.  And if Jones really is a bust then yeah Barber is probably undervalued right now.  I sure would like to see Jones get more than 4 carries in a game, though.

I've heard their O line is not so great, but I agree they have so many weapons that it will be impossible to key on the run.  And if Jones really is a bust then yeah Barber is probably undervalued right now.  I sure would like to see Jones get more than 4 carries in a game, though.
Jones only getting 4 carries in a preseason game should already tell you everything you need to know.....  He will not see any meaningful time unless Barber gets hurt until he can figure out the offense, which will be around mid season probably.  He can't catch either so that's why I stayed away from the get go.  In PPR what's to like about an undersized RB who can't catch at ALL and can't block??  Going to be hard to see the field with that skill set is all IMO.

In redraft not-so-much. It may take him a year to figure it out, if you will. But you can see the ability. Although he hasn't caught a pass, watch him sink his hips on his routes. He's fluid. We all know he has speed even if he hasn't showed it on his 8 carries. Peyton Barber can't keep Ronnie off the field in the long run.

I see the same career path as one of his comps: Chris Johnson.

This guy has bust written all over him
I hate to say it but yeah, it looks like that.  Already he was behind the 8 ball bc he's a small guy, can't handle a large workload or run up the middle drumbeat, etc.  Throw in the inability to pass protect, and can't catch the ball?  Does not look good at all.  Looking like a one trick pony who at least for this year will be a COP back to barber.  

In redraft not-so-much. It may take him a year to figure it out, if you will. But you can see the ability. Although he hasn't caught a pass, watch him sink his hips on his routes. He's fluid. We all know he has speed even if he hasn't showed it on his 8 carries. Peyton Barber can't keep Ronnie off the field in the long run.

I see the same career path as one of his comps: Chris Johnson.
Didn’t he run over a 4.65 at the combine and a 4.48 at his pro day (which are always faster) - for a 205 pound back, that’s isn’t fast.

Jones only getting 4 carries in a preseason game should already tell you everything you need to know.....  He will not see any meaningful time unless Barber gets hurt until he can figure out the offense, which will be around mid season probably.  He can't catch either so that's why I stayed away from the get go.  In PPR what's to like about an undersized RB who can't catch at ALL and can't block??  Going to be hard to see the field with that skill set is all IMO.
Well yeah it sure seems to be the case. I only have him in one redraft and I took Barber in that one. Two dynasties, though, but he can ride on my taxi until I sell him for #### or eventually cut him. Sigh. 

Didn’t he run over a 4.65 at the combine and a 4.48 at his pro day (which are always faster) - for a 205 pound back, that’s isn’t fast.
I thought he ran the combine with a tweaked hamstring, or tweaked it on that particular heat, I forget. But yeah not super fast. 

I thought he ran the combine with a tweaked hamstring, or tweaked it on that particular heat, I forget. But yeah not super fast. 
IDK, maybe I'm crazy, but watching him play makes me think he can run pretty fast. I could be wrong. Speed is overrated anyway. I know he's quick. I know he's fluid. He has good vision and running instincts. The talent is there. 

Based on this thread he's an excellent buy low. 

I hate to say it but yeah, it looks like that.  Already he was behind the 8 ball bc he's a small guy, can't handle a large workload or run up the middle drumbeat, etc.  Throw in the inability to pass protect, and can't catch the ball?  Does not look good at all.  Looking like a one trick pony who at least for this year will be a COP back to barber.  
He just turned 21 and is just finishing his first camp.

Tap the brakes. 

IDK, maybe I'm crazy, but watching him play makes me think he can run pretty fast. I could be wrong. Speed is overrated anyway. I know he's quick. I know he's fluid. He has good vision and running instincts. The talent is there. 

Based on this thread he's an excellent buy low. 
Well, so, his tape was definitely one of the things that sold me on him. But that was back in May, when my draft decisions were less informed than they are now. Or so you'd think. But the steady drumbeat has been all negative. 8 darn carries behind a crappy back up O line and 2 targets doesn't quite do enough for me. But the coaches and reporters all saying the same thing in camp, and the pass pro question. I'm holding in dynasty or willing to sell 75 cents on a dollar, and staying away in redraft. 

IDK dude. You win, IDC. If you think he's slow, just pass. 
Thanks I was trying to “win” afterall. I was just reporting facts. 

The claim was he pulled his hamstring during the combine but there was no word of injury during his pro day. This is the first I heard that from you. players that are injured would postpone their pro day or wouldn’t run if they couldn’t.

And I did pass when I had the chance to - not impressed by him. I’m not holding what he’s done, or hasn’t, so far against him but it’s surely troubling and I’m glad I passed.

this thread is crazy.  I think I will make an offer in every league.  See if I can catch a panicking owner
You make a good point if you were high on RoJo initially. I think you have to go with your original assessment until it becomes evident it needs adjusting.

That said, some of us were leery from the start. Like I said earlier, Jones isn't an automatic dismissal for me like Abdullah was, but I'm concerned he doesn't have the overall skills to be a long-term feature back at his size (weight).

Well, so, his tape was definitely one of the things that sold me on him. But that was back in May, when my draft decisions were less informed than they are now. Or so you'd think. But the steady drumbeat has been all negative. 8 darn carries behind a crappy back up O line and 2 targets doesn't quite do enough for me. But the coaches and reporters all saying the same thing in camp, and the pass pro question. I'm holding in dynasty or willing to sell 75 cents on a dollar, and staying away in redraft. 
I'm with you on the re-draft. But for dynasty, I'll ask you what from pre-season/camp has changed what you liked with his college film? Did you draft him for his pass protection?

Like the guy above has pointed out, dude just turned 21. Still young. He needs to learn some things and develop. He hasn't done magnificent in pre-season in limited opportunities. He's had like 8 carries. On the few routes he's run, on his few carries, he's provided a glimpse of what he can do. 

The drum-beat will provide a lower price. The book says to double down on 9s and 10s.

Users who are viewing this thread