What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leonard Williams, DE, NYJ (1 Viewer)

Arodin

Footballguy
What's up with this guy?

Hot prospect, rising star that seems to have fallen off the map completely.  Snap counts are there, but zero production.

Anybody have some insight?

That's kind of my point, they are inconsistent.  DL in general are, 3-4 in particular I have found.  He's also without Sheldon Richardson taking blocking attention from him.  He averaged 8.17 PPG last year, he's at 6.0 PPG this year.  It's also a small sample size of 6 games so far.

He's got 14 pressures in 177 passing snaps over 6 games with zero sacks. Last year he had 48 in 447 with 7 sacks over 16 games. He's also been less effective against the run, creating fewer stops. His pressure per week has been 3-0-4-3-1-2. Normally he should have gotten a couple sacks in there...it's a little fluky that he hasn't gotten to the QB in any of his 14 pressures, but he's not as productive as last year so it's not all variance. The top DEs have around 25-30 pressures by now - Donald, Calais, Lawrence, Heyward, Graham, Hughes, Flowers, Ingram, Jordan, Buckner etc. Donald has 36 pressures in five games(!!).

Williams had plenty weeks last season where he made little impact in the passing game, but he had four weeks with 6, 7, 8 and 9 pressures. Weeks 1, 9, 12 and 14 where he got four of his seven sacks on the season. Let's see if he can find those spikes this season as well. 

As for why Williams is less effective I don't know...I haven't looked into it; if they're using him differently, if he's had tough matchups, or if he's just taken a step back. But he seems to be getting more double teams and he's apparently been struggling with his wrist the entire season which might be affecting his hand strength and/or his technique.

Based on the numbers we should expect some positive regression, and sacks tend to come in bunches, but he needs a couple dominant weeks if he's to get 5+ sacks this season. And we might be looking at a 3 sack season which would be quite the disappointment, or even worse that he misses some games and hardly gets any sacks at all this year.

Users who are viewing this thread