What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Refrigerator/freezer repair (1 Viewer)

shuke

Black Ice Skeptic
Have a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer, it is 12 years old.  Has had a multitude of problems.  First, the filtered water line didn't work and it would overflow in the refrigerator near the filter.  I put in a bypass, and that has not been usable forever.  

Forever the icemaker was screwy, you had to go in there and reset the thing and/or break out a big frozen chunk of ice with a knife.  One of these episodes required me to go to the ER for stitches in my finger.

Our house got struck by lightning about 5 years ago, and one of the things it zapped was the door ice/water dispenser panel.  As I said, we weren't using it for water at that time, but since then we haven't used it for ice.  I never bothered replacing it.

Now we are getting a crapload of frost in the freezer, and things don't seem to be freezing as quickly.  I did some research and there is a long list of possible reasons, and I don't know where to start.  Anyone have any ideas, or should I just buy a new one?

Have a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer, it is 12 years old.  Has had a multitude of problems.  First, the filtered water line didn't work and it would overflow in the refrigerator near the filter.  I put in a bypass, and that has not been usable forever.  

Forever the icemaker was screwy, you had to go in there and reset the thing and/or break out a big frozen chunk of ice with a knife.  One of these episodes required me to go to the ER for stitches in my finger.

Our house got struck by lightning about 5 years ago, and one of the things it zapped was the door ice/water dispenser panel.  As I said, we weren't using it for water at that time, but since then we haven't used it for ice.  I never bothered replacing it.

Now we are getting a crapload of frost in the freezer, and things don't seem to be freezing as quickly.  I did some research and there is a long list of possible reasons, and I don't know where to start.  Anyone have any ideas, or should I just buy a new one?
Defrost heater would be a good start.  You can test it with a multi-meter, or if you don't have one you may be able too see a visible break in the filament 

I'd also suggest cleaning any dirt / dust from the back of the fridge motor...ive seen mine work less good when it's filthy 

I've thought about calling an appliance repairman, although not sure if it's worth the cost at this point.  Why would I need an HVAC tech?
I have a good local guy now if I can't do it myself, but I called Sears repair once and it was like $300 for a $25 part and like 10 minutes of labor.  I'd probably buy a new fridge before calling those #######s ever again 

Bump! 

GE Profile Performance Side by Side fridge worked great for ~20 years. Compressor just went out. Otherwise in fantastic shape. 

Debating replacing the compressor (doable?) vs buying a new one ($1200-1500 it seems). 

What fridge brands should be targeted or avoided? Seems I've heard lots of complaints about Samsung or LG, don't recall.

Bump! 

GE Profile Performance Side by Side fridge worked great for ~20 years. Compressor just went out. Otherwise in fantastic shape. 

Debating replacing the compressor (doable?) vs buying a new one ($1200-1500 it seems). 

What fridge brands should be targeted or avoided? Seems I've heard lots of complaints about Samsung or LG, don't recall.
I’d probably buy a new one

just bought a new Samsung electric range :oldunsure:

Shoot the lock of that FBG wallet and buy a new one you cheap *******.  I want ice...and water, damn it.

ETA...well son of a ...  Why didn’t someone tell me this thread was from 2017.  I hope you got a new one by now. And you too. Icon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump! 

It depends on whether the repair is worth the time/headache it's going to cause. For a 20 year old fridge, it might be better to just replace it.

Shoot the lock of that FBG wallet and buy a new one you cheap *******.  I want ice...and water, damn it.

ETA...well son of a ...  Why didn’t someone tell me this thread was from 2017.  I hope you got a new one by now. And you too. Icon.
I bumped it with a new post. Issue still ongoing. :)  I see compressor kits running $200-400. I've tracked down a friend of a friend who does refrigerator repair. 

I've mentally set the bar at $600ish for the repair. If it's more than that I'll drop the $1200-1400 on a new fridge. This one is otherwise in fantastic shape. in door ice and water, used to run TOO cold if anything. Perfect layout. 

Looking at brands, looks like LG was the one with a horrible track record. Anyone else have good/bad experiences? 

LG and Samsung have bad reputations for good reason. However if you look at online reviews you’ll be scared to buy new on any brand. Most people don’t realize that most fridges (and appliances in general) are made by a handful of companies and source a lot of the same cheap parts. I forget the exact %, but the failure rate in the first two years is something like 20% so spring for the warranty and hope you aren’t the 1 out of 5 that gets a lemon.

Bump! 

Avoid LG at all costs.

Leaning Whirlpool / Frigidaire based on what I'm reading right now. Seems like a total minefield. 

Opted for this 28sqft Samsung French Door unit from Costco.for $1650. 

Reviews for similar models are very good it seems. Costco gives me 90 days to return (if lemon right out of the box), plus with the double warranty, then +2yrs with the Costco card that puts me at 4 years for no added charge. Plus free install and old unit takeaway. 

Played with a similar model at Lowe's and seems well made. The self filing water pitcher in the door is slick as someone who drinks a lot of water. 

Coming from 23ft side by side so the extra capacity will be nice too. 

Of course as soon as I buy a friend who works at Lowe's drops "I wish you would have talked to me before buying a Samsung" :lol:  

Seems like every model has some #### reviews. I'm banking on Costco's badass concierge service to handle any issues. 

Fingers crossed

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread