What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 Baseball Hall of Fame Thread (1 Viewer)

He led the league in 83', was top five in K's seven times.  Morris pitched in the big games, he returned one of the most epic performances in baseball history in the '91 World Series, and was a postseason monster. 
meh. A great game or three, and the '91 game 7 v Smoltz is as epic as they come, but when you look at the whole picture his post season numbers are right in line with what he did between games 1 and 162.

meh. A great game or three, and the '91 game 7 v Smoltz is as epic as they come, but when you look at the whole picture his post season numbers are right in line with what he did between games 1 and 162.
Probably the best starting pitching performance in your lifetime in the WS.

Morris does not have HOF numbers but he was an era pitcher, and most of the guys getting in from here on out are gonna be just that.  The days of 300 wins as the entry point are long gone, guys like Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander and going to be judged a lot differently.

Plus Morris is in the Mustache HOF, which makes his inclusion into Cooperstown a no-brainer. 

Plus Morris is in the Mustache HOF, which makes his inclusion into Cooperstown a no-brainer. 
He's giving Rollie Fingers and Eckersley a run for their money. 

A pitcher from my youth named Ray Burris had mutton chops. I always thought he should have gotten a  few votes simply for that distinction 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan Thibodaux‏Verified account @NotMrTibbs

With 61 ballots revealed/~14.7% of the vote known: Thome - 98% Chipper - 97% Vlad - 90% Edgar 84% Hoffman - 79% ----- Clemens - 72% Mussina - 71% Bonds - 71% Schilling - 69% Walker - 36% Vizquel - 36% Manny - 31% McGriff - 16% Rolen - 16% Tracker: http://bit.ly/hof18

8:57 AM - 18 Dec 2017

With 61 ballots revealed/~14.7% of the vote known: Thome - 98% Chipper - 97% Vlad - 90% Edgar 84% Hoffman - 79% ----- Clemens - 72% Mussina - 71% Bonds - 71% Schilling - 69% Walker - 36% Vizquel - 36% Manny - 31% McGriff - 16% Rolen - 16% Tracker: http://bit.ly/hof18

It’s a shame Walker isn’t getting more love. 

It’s a shame Walker isn’t getting more love. 
true, although in that tracker, Walker has gained the most votes vs last year.

i don't see much difference in the careers of Walker & Vlad, from a HOF perspective, yet one has >2x more votes.

The bolded should be in.  Vizquel and Schilling I'm fine with, but if we had to choose two how can it not be Bonds and Clemens?  Take all their alleged juicer years out and they are still the two best players on that list.  Baseball writers/HOF voters are just unreasonably stupid. 

The bolded should be in.  Vizquel and Schilling I'm fine with, but if we had to choose two how can it not be Bonds and Clemens?  Take all their alleged juicer years out and they are still the two best players on that list.  Baseball writers/HOF voters are just unreasonably stupid. 
MLB Network kind of destroyed Vizquel yesterday. He has no business being in there.

I agree with all your bolded and I'd add Mussina

MLB Network kind of destroyed Vizquel yesterday. He has no business being in there.
He's Ozzie Smith light, their numbers are pretty similar sans WAR.  Ozzie was bolstered by the era being so devoid of SS talent, but he was definitely the better player.  First time HOFer?  Not by the numbers, but again the 80s was a weird decade with a dearth of overall talent compared to other decades.  Toby Harrah was a really good player in the 80s, that's kind of an example of what the decade produced. 

I can give or take the Lee Smiths, Ryan Sandbergs, Bruce Suters, etc if they put in the guys that absolutely have to be in.  Bonds, Clemens, Edgar Martinez and Shoeless Joe Jackson have to be in the HOF.  They were just so much better at what they did than everyone else, and it didn't matter they were a DH, bet on game 3 of the WS, or put some steroid butter on their balls when they were in their 30s. 

I can’t believe Dale Murphy isn’t getting any love.  I hated the Braves but imo he was the second best player of the 80s (behind Schmidt).  I guess the deadball era of 36 HRs leading the league really hurt him.

overall, way too many pretty good players getting in.  Never were either Tiger considered the best in the league or even at their position.

merry Christmas 

I can’t believe Dale Murphy isn’t getting any love.  I hated the Braves but imo he was the second best player of the 80s (behind Schmidt).  I guess the deadball era of 36 HRs leading the league really hurt him.

overall, way too many pretty good players getting in.  Never were either Tiger considered the best in the league or even at their position.

merry Christmas 
why is this this criteria?

You're allowed to vote for 10 guys, yes?  These 10 guys seem like HOF'ers to me

Clemens, Bonds, ManRam (yeah, I get it if you have a bias against PED users, but ffs these guys are head and shoulders above everyone else)

Hoffman, McGriff, Kent, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Larry Walker and Jim Thome.

Only guy on there I'm a little skittish on would be Thome.  I get he had 600 home runs, but he was really a glorified DH his entire career. I mean the guys I compare him too aren't really HOF'ers either and nothing distinguishes Thome other than his lofty HR total.  Only one appearance in the WS and one top 5 MVP tally.

I think Larry Walker is criminally underrated.  I understand some of his offensive totals are Coors related, but he played on a lot of bad teams in Montreal and his last season there he had a 981 ops.  He was a GG quality outfielder, really an overall solid player and did win an MVP.  Missed a ton of games due to injuries but was still very solid.

Andruw Jones is another guy to me that seems like he doesn't get nearly enough respect.  Over a 10 year stretch in Atlanta, he averaged 33 homers and 100 rbi's all the while being the best defensive CFer in the majors (just 10 straight gg's).  I mean, he really fell off the cliff when he left which blemishes his career overall numbers but he gets my vote.

And Jeff Kent to me is another guy very underrated.  377 career home runs from primarily a 2b and he didn't exactly play in hitter friendly parks at all.  Sure he wasn't Roberto Alomar with the glove, but he played good enough defense not to be a problem and his offense is off the chart for that position.  Seems to me he is getting unfairly judged for being perceived as a bit of jerk.  

You're allowed to vote for 10 guys, yes?  These 10 guys seem like HOF'ers to me

Clemens, Bonds, ManRam (yeah, I get it if you have a bias against PED users, but ffs these guys are head and shoulders above everyone else)

Hoffman, McGriff, Kent, Chipper Jones, Andruw Jones, Larry Walker and Jim Thome.

Only guy on there I'm a little skittish on would be Thome... nothing distinguishes Thome other than his lofty HR total. 
Career OPS+ of 147 is damn impressive.  Including lifetime over .400 OBP.   Playing until he was 41, so not as if these were the uber prime years and no tail. 

Similarity scores for his career and year by year are chock full not only of HoFers, but solid ones as well.

ETA: While I loathe the DH, I don't hold it against most players, as Thome would have found a home at 1B, for example.  Too good a bat, not as if he couldn't play the field if needed.

Wait? We’re :X ing Vald? 

If that was his first ballot, then yes.  If not then I apologize to Mr. Guerrero.

Ok, it was his 2nd year on the ballot.  I'm good with it as long as he goes in an Expo.

If that was his first ballot, then yes.  If not then I apologize to Mr. Guerrero.

Ok, it was his 2nd year on the ballot.  I'm good with it as long as he goes in an Expo.
 Lol who cares what ballot? He's a no brainer hall of famer

I thought the Hall took the choice away from the player.  They take their choice as a suggestion, but doesn't the Hall have the final say?

Yea a lot. Way better hitter. Better eye. Certainly the best or second best hitter ever. 

You dont really think roids made him a better hitter do you?
Flyouts turning into doubles and homers kind of make that happen, doesn’t it? 

Bonds had three MVPs, 7 WAR leader, 8 Silver Sluggers, and 8 Gold Gloves before he touched any alleged steroids.  Had he died in a plane crash in 2000, he'd be in the HOF. 
And now he's paying the price. I don't blame the writers one bit. Combine the roids with being a raging chode his entire life and this is what you get. 

Bonds had three MVPs, 7 WAR leader, 8 Silver Sluggers, and 8 Gold Gloves before he touched any alleged steroids.  Had he died in a plane crash in 2000, he'd be in the HOF. 
And now he's paying the price. I don't blame the writers one bit. Combine the roids with being a raging chode his entire life and this is what you get. 
I think it's dumb but if the writer's are sticking together, there isn't a lot that can be done until it gets to the veteran's committee.

I remember watching Eric Davis in his early years when he was healthy, and I thought he was the most exciting player in baseball.  Bonds had Eric Davis seasons every year in the 90s, he was so good.  He was the best LF I think I've ever seen, he hit for power, average, he walked, stole bases, just did everything.  Once he started juicing I won't argue that his stats became inflated, but he was so dominant playing against all the other steroid guys it's hard to measure how truly great he was. 

Him being as ### as a person has nothing to do with anything though.  OJ Simpson, Maradona, and George Steinbrenner are all scumbags too.  They were all good at what they did though, way better than almost anyone else.  Guys like McGuire and Sosa, we can't be sure.  Clemens and Bonds, they were just better with or without any help from performance enhancers.  Plus the whole slippery slope of all the guys popping pills and cheating in baseball since it's been a game, just seems like a huge ball of hypocrisy to me.  :2cents:

Yea a lot. Way better hitter. Better eye. Certainly the best or second best hitter ever. 

I'll bite.  Roids increase bat speed, which let him wait longer to identify what pitch was coming.  That leads to more walks obviously.  Pitchers start giving him more strikes to compensate for the potential walks.

Increased bat speed also means more power, strength, and home runs.  This intimidates your opponents who may not back down otherwise.  Increased strength allows you to maybe hold up on your swing if you change your mind mid pitch too.  It lets you even make small in swing adjustments.  Not only does it slow the game down, it makes it easier.

Too bad it doesn't help throw out guys at the plate from deep short.  Oh well.

Science.

I'll bite.  Roids increase bat speed, which let him wait longer to identify what pitch was coming.  That leads to more walks obviously.  Pitchers start giving him more strikes to compensate for the potential walks.

Increased bat speed also means more power, strength, and home runs.  This intimidates your opponents who may not back down otherwise.  Increased strength allows you to maybe hold up on your swing if you change your mind mid pitch too.  It lets you even make small in swing adjustments.  Not only does it slow the game down, it makes it easier.

Science.

How do we know he was clean before that?  I disagree.
Pretty well known.  He got mad about McGuire and Sosa getting all the pub and decided to join the party.  I would say this is pretty much a fact. 

Science.
Here is the list of players suspended for PEDs

Notice Neifi Perez on there twice.  Can you imagine all the terrible names from the 90s/early 2000s that were on PEDs and were completely awful.  Most of them.  It worked for Brady Anderson for a year, then pitchers realized he wasn't that good. 

Users who are viewing this thread