What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you hoard credit card points? (1 Viewer)

I have a bunch of Delta miles and they just seem kind of useless to me. Flights and upgrades are so miles expensive now. Have you had better luck?
Oh, that may be right.  Often it's business travel (now picking up again) so it's not as great a concern, but I think if I put a bunch of regular card activity on a Delta card, I would start earning enough miles to upgrade or even get flights for vacations.  Mostly looking at a return to Europe, where I've been lucky enough to go some small number of times.  

But there's no way I'm putting a steady stream of business charge activity on an Amex.  

Unfortunately, I also dislike all other US airlines except Alaska and JB.  I don't think either flies to Europe.  

Oh, that may be right.  Often it's business travel (now picking up again) so it's not as great a concern, but I think if I put a bunch of regular card activity on a Delta card, I would start earning enough miles to upgrade or even get flights for vacations.  Mostly looking at a return to Europe, where I've been lucky enough to go some small number of times.  

But there's no way I'm putting a steady stream of business charge activity on an Amex.  

Unfortunately, I also dislike all other US airlines except Alaska and JB.  I don't think either flies to Europe.  

I agree that Delta is the best US airline. I use the Delta Amex - but I've not had the issues you have. Hopefully I don't - sounds like you've had a pretty bad experience.

Blue Cash Everyday (After one year as a Blue Cash Preffered)

Discover IT 

Chase Freedom (After getting a CSR or CSP bonus on it)
Citi Double cash (2%) and Fidelity 2% are good catch all cards.  My Fid card gets a lot of use.

They timed the last Chase bonus to just exclude the folks who did the original Reserve bonus.  I still have my Reserve - what can I PC change to to keep the points?  I also have a Freedom.

Definitely getting my wife a Preferred.  Adding that to the pile.  I drew down a bit of the UR points with the grocery promotion stuff.  Now need to build it back up.  UR points + travel portal + Scott's Cheap Flights = :moneybag:

One thing that I find odd is hotel and air costs are still super low.  Using hotel currency is  in general a horrible idea rn.   The deals you can get are insane

Citi Double cash (2%) and Fidelity 2% are good catch all cards.  My Fid card gets a lot of use.

They timed the last Chase bonus to just exclude the folks who did the original Reserve bonus.  I still have my Reserve - what can I PC change to to keep the points?  I also have a Freedom.

Definitely getting my wife a Preferred.  Adding that to the pile.  I drew down a bit of the UR points with the grocery promotion stuff.  Now need to build it back up.  UR points + travel portal + Scott's Cheap Flights = :moneybag:
Is there a thread on scf?  I am getting into that more.  I've been cashing out MR to Schwab because redemption are so bad. 

Is there a thread on scf?  I am getting into that more.  I've been cashing out MR to Schwab because redemption are so bad. 
Don't think so.  They throw out freebies pretty regularly and a couple years back I managed to grab a fare ATL-Kauai for $350 per.  And it was on the UR travel portal (not a guarantee it will be).  With the 1.5 points per for the CSR my cost for the flights was ridiculously low.

Can't hurt to sign up and let them send you the free stuff.  I never signed up for the paid version - just not enough time to take a lot of extended vacation these days.  

IMO, it seems to me overall the best redemptions for UR points is points transfer if the flight cost is high and travel portal if you catch a good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
i signed up for the scotts cheap flights, free version.  they have their finger on the pulse.  the fares are usually snapped up, in a day or 2.  but the prices are legit.  i checked one the other day

i signed up for the scotts cheap flights, free version.  they have their finger on the pulse.  the fares are usually snapped up, in a day or 2.  but the prices are legit.  i checked one the other day
Yeah, I 'm curious what the paid people get.  I haven't done much research, but the free stuff is awesome.  

Yeah, I 'm curious what the paid people get.  I haven't done much research, but the free stuff is awesome.  
Paid is awesome. It's cheap enough it's worth a try 

latest ones from Memphis 

Belize $200s

Boston $157 nonstop 

Copenhagen $400s

Costa Rica $299 

Hong Kong 400s

Dubai 500s

Switzerland 519 

Puerto Rico $170 

Yeah, my feel is long term that getting flexible points, and cash back has more value if fares continue to stay low and you don't want to ride in J.  We maybe need a thread for those that fall into either the cheap ### category, or people with a lot of points to spend and the flexibility to do so.

Yeah, my feel is long term that getting flexible points, and cash back has more value if fares continue to stay low and you don't want to ride in J.  We maybe need a thread for those that fall into either the cheap ### category, or people with a lot of points to spend and the flexibility to do so.
I don't know that this thread is THAT busy to justify two?

I don't know that this thread is THAT busy to justify two?
There is probably some generic travel thread.  I mean it's annoying to sift thru a bunch of posts about how you can get to the Falkland islands in March for a stack of wheat pennies. 

I have a bunch of Delta miles and they just seem kind of useless to me. Flights and upgrades are so miles expensive now. Have you had better luck?
i’d love to get your miles, i travel to europe a bunch.  maybe we can barter or trade.

These, plus Amazon 5% back, us Bank gives 5% on your choice (we chooseb utility bills), and there are many gas cards with 5% cash back. 
BofA's Cash Rewards gets you up to 5.25% on a category of choice if you are in their highest preferred rewards tier.

But, yeah, agree with the overall point that churning has gotten much harder. Particularly on the bank bonus side.

I think I figured something out, and it brings a new question.

I recently got the capital one venture card, for the $1,000 bonus if you spend $20,000 in the first year. I overlooked that you can just get $500 after spending $3,000. So I got that that already. Then what it really comes down to is $500 for $16,000 (I've spent $4,000 already). That's like 3% plus the usual 1%. I guess that's good enough to keep going but I'd be better off using my cards which give 5% cash by category. So while I had been using the card for everything and paying it off when it hit the $3,000 limit, I'm better off just using it for big purchases and not the groceries, Amazon, gas, and bills. 

Right? 

A few questions on travel. I am anticipating traveling more (for personal reasons) over the rest of the year. 

I just booked a trip with Southwest Airlines and opened an account for their Rapid Rewards. The way I understand it, it works similar to having a credit card with points and I can build points up and eventually use them for a flight.

I paid for this trip using my Capital One Venture card which has 2x points for travel on all purchases (I believe it also has some stores that provide more points). It gets good reviews on The Points Guy website and others.

Does using Rapid Rewards and my Capital One card allow me to 'double up' on both ends like it seems? I know it will take awhile to eventually redeem these, but think this makes sense but wanted to check with others.

Any other cards you like, or that is better for travel?

A few questions on travel. I am anticipating traveling more (for personal reasons) over the rest of the year. 

I just booked a trip with Southwest Airlines and opened an account for their Rapid Rewards. The way I understand it, it works similar to having a credit card with points and I can build points up and eventually use them for a flight.

I paid for this trip using my Capital One Venture card which has 2x points for travel on all purchases (I believe it also has some stores that provide more points). It gets good reviews on The Points Guy website and others.

Does using Rapid Rewards and my Capital One card allow me to 'double up' on both ends like it seems? I know it will take awhile to eventually redeem these, but think this makes sense but wanted to check with others.

Any other cards you like, or that is better for travel?
Yes, you would earn both Rapid Rewards points in your Southwest account and Venture points in your Capital One account.

Okay credit card gurus, Chase right now is offering 100k sign-up bonus on both the Sapphire Preferred and the Chase Ink Preferred.  I'm wondering if there are any holes in my plan here to earn a quick 200k ultimate rewards points...

• Downgrade Sapphire Reserve to Freedom Unlimited, apply for Sapphire Preferred for 100k sign-up bonus
  • Cancel Chase Ink Plus, apply for Chase Ink Preferred for 100k sign-up bonus
Net 200k sign-up bonus after meeting spend. Any reason this wouldn't work?

Current Chase cards
Sapphire Reserve (opened Feb 2017)
Ink Plus (opened 2014)
World of Hyatt
Chase Freedom
Amazon Visa

Chase Apps within last 24 months: 0

Also I assume my chase ultimate rewards points for the Sapphire Reserve would transfer to Freedom Unlimited points, and then once my CSP was opened I could transfer them to that card (re-opening transfer partners) without losing any points, correct?

Okay credit card gurus, Chase right now is offering 100k sign-up bonus on both the Sapphire Preferred and the Chase Ink Preferred.  I'm wondering if there are any holes in my plan here to earn a quick 200k ultimate rewards points...

• Downgrade Sapphire Reserve to Freedom Unlimited, apply for Sapphire Preferred for 100k sign-up bonus

Current Chase cards
Ink Plus (opened 2014)
World of Hyatt
Chase Freedom
Amazon Visa

Also I assume my chase ultimate rewards points for the Sapphire Reserve would transfer to Freedom Unlimited points, and then once my CSP was opened I could transfer them to that card (re-opening transfer partners) without losing any points, correct?
1.  You may want to downgrade/product change your CIP to like the Chase ink cash or the Chase ink unlimited.  That way you don't lose that card and shorten your credit history/hurt your credit score. 

If you're able to get business cards and play the CC points game--the Chase Ink Cash is one of the smartest cards out there.  You get 5%  back on phone, internet and streaming and 2% back on gas stations.  I put our cell phone bills, cable/internet, and netflix on there.  It makes about 300$ a year in rewards points just by the things that are autocharged to it.  

2.  You should be able to move points from any card to any other card.

Current Chase cards
Ink Plus (opened 2014)
World of Hyatt
Chase Freedom
Amazon Visa

This should work since you are 4 years since the CSR reward.

On a semi-related note, how does one qualify for a business card?

1.  You may want to downgrade/product change your CIP to like the Chase ink cash or the Chase ink unlimited.  That way you don't lose that card and shorten your credit history/hurt your credit score. 

If you're able to get business cards and play the CC points game--the Chase Ink Cash is one of the smartest cards out there.  You get 5%  back on phone, internet and streaming and 2% back on gas stations.  I put our cell phone bills, cable/internet, and netflix on there.  It makes about 300$ a year in rewards points just by the things that are autocharged to it.  
Thanks for the reply.

I've heard (not sure how true it is) that Chase doesn't allow people to hold multiple cards from the same card family anymore.  So as I understand it if I downgraded the Ink Plus to Ink Cash I would still be ineligible for the Ink Preferred since I already have another Ink card.  Does this sound correct?

Signed up based on the posts in this thread and there are some really great deals. And the best part is that they’re not even totally garbage flight plans/dates either.

I mean, it’s awesome if I can get a $200 round trip flight to Paris, but if the plan involves flighting to London and then swimming across the English Channel at 2am to catch a flight on the other side, I’m not into that. But these seem like actual legit flight plans without ridiculous hoops to jump through.

FreeBaGeL said:
Thanks for the reply.

I've heard (not sure how true it is) that Chase doesn't allow people to hold multiple cards from the same card family anymore.  So as I understand it if I downgraded the Ink Plus to Ink Cash I would still be ineligible for the Ink Preferred since I already have another Ink card.  Does this sound correct?
You can have multiple business cards from Chase.  You can have 2 CIP’s if you apply with two separate businesses.

My god, I thought the DirecTV thread was crazy, with all the hoops people will jump through for some savings, but this is worse.  That flowchart is bonkers.

Getting a bunch of different cards for specific purposes?  Cancelling this for that, timing the applications or cancellations and ####???  A wallet that size alone would drive me nuts, much less keeping track.

I was looking briefly the other day at a solution to move on from our United Miles card.  Miles suck, I've rarely ended up using them, with all the restrictions and/or expirations.  Seems like an antiquated semi-scam / bait n switch that's good for a few, but not for most.  And a hassle.  Just credit my account with cash and leave it that.

Anyway, my results led me to the AMAZON PRIME card and I was just checking here to hopefully confirm as much.  Surprisingly, not much about it.  Why?  Fairly straight forward cash-back deal that includes plenty of useful vendors like restaurants, gas stations and drugstores (2%).  And 5% at Amazon and Whole Foods.

ETA if you carry a balance, no bueno.

I see commercials for Chase cards now offering up to 5% cash back.  Any of those cards beat BoA cards with the Platinum Honors 1.75% multiplier?

5.25% Choice - Restaurants/Gas

3.5% Grocery

2.625% Everything else

Current Chase cards
Ink Plus (opened 2014)
World of Hyatt
Chase Freedom
Amazon Visa

Flowchart posted above should help a lot. You mentioned Chase apps, have you applied to any other cards the last 24 months? Chase looks at not just Chase personal cards for their 5/24 rule. As another said, downgrade the CIP to one of the others with no annual fee, I think it’s a shorter wait time when you product change before you can apply for the same card vs a cancellation (4 days vs 30 I believe.) But also check your Chase credit limits that you are not getting close to 50% of stated income. 

Keep in mind that the new CIP requires 15k in spend for 100,000 points and the Sapphire Preferred is another 4K spend, can you hit both those #’s close together? If you are willing to go down the rabbit hole, you might consider the MDD on the Sapphire Reserve and Sapphire Preferred, just pulled that off for my wife a few months ago (80k on the preferred instead of 100k  :angry: ) Reserve has Pay Yourself Back and Travel Rewards so your points are worth 1.5x instead of 1.25x with the Preferred.

Wife and I planning on Israel at Thanksgiving week this year. I've done some searching, and am thinking my best option is AA miles for econ + trying to use some SWUs both ways. Direct flight from DFW. I'm Exec plat via actual travel on AA. 

Have close to half a million Chase UR points though...so a better idea to a transfer I'm open to. Just not seeing one right away (previously I have done things like book a Delta One cabin to NRT via Virgin Atlantic, for example), so thought I'd see if y'all had any other ideas before I booked.

Wife and I planning on Israel at Thanksgiving week this year. I've done some searching, and am thinking my best option is AA miles for econ + trying to use some SWUs both ways. Direct flight from DFW. I'm Exec plat via actual travel on AA. 

Have close to half a million Chase UR points though...so a better idea to a transfer I'm open to. Just not seeing one right away (previously I have done things like book a Delta One cabin to NRT via Virgin Atlantic, for example), so thought I'd see if y'all had any other ideas before I booked.
I always check awardhacker.com

Their mile prices can be a little unrealistic low but it at least gives you your options. 

Chase announces major changes to Sapphire lineup

New category bonuses for Preferred:

5 points per dollar on travel booked through the Ultimate Rewards Travel portal

3 points per dollar on dining (up from 2x)

3 points per dollar on select streaming services

3 points per dollar on online groceries (excludes Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)

New category bonuses for Reserve

10 points per dollar on Chase Dining booked through Ultimate Rewards

10 points per dollar on hotel and car rental purchases through the Ultimate Rewards Travel portal

5 points per dollar on airline travel booked through the Ultimate Rewards Travel portal

The travel portal has crap prices.  I don't know if this is a good deal or not.  It's going to be highly variable. 

Really good point.

Can you book hotels through the portal? If so:  Are those prices better?

They tend to be priced right around expedia as that is who does their hotel bookings.  You have very little window to push through to make even 50pts per $ worth it.  The goal here isn't to save 5% on bookings, it's to save 100%

Chase announces major changes to Sapphire lineup

New category bonuses for Preferred:

5 points per dollar on travel booked through the Ultimate Rewards Travel portal

3 points per dollar on dining (up from 2x)

3 points per dollar on select streaming services

3 points per dollar on online groceries (excludes Target, Walmart and wholesale clubs)

New category bonuses for Reserve

10 points per dollar on Chase Dining booked through Ultimate Rewards

10 points per dollar on hotel and car rental purchases through the Ultimate Rewards Travel portal

5 points per dollar on airline travel booked through the Ultimate Rewards Travel portal
I think the Preferred just became the much better card than the Reserve. IMO, the prices in the portal are so poor that those aren’t even even benefits in my eyes (and seems like in the eyes of a lot of others). With the huge annual fee on the Reserve, they needed to do more.

I do have an opportunity to get people into a MS syndicate.  This is mostly what I do now rather than just hit bonuses.  

Hit me with a DM if

• Have 10-20k in floatable cash that you could in an unusual situation lose all of.
  • Willing to risk getting shut down by a bank
  • Have at least 10k posts and a history here
  • Can follow instructions
  • Be willing to check telegram and similar sites 2-3x a day

I do have an opportunity to get people into a MS syndicate.  This is mostly what I do now rather than just hit bonuses.  

Hit me with a DM if

• Have 10-20k in floatable cash that you could in an unusual situation lose all of.
Man. I can't commit to that much activity (that's why I'm a pretty passive player in the CC game but holy cow. This can get so complex. Good luck GB.

ETA: Also I can't believe I have ~8k posts here in 12 years. Would have guessed higher.

Man. I can't commit to that much activity (that's why I'm a pretty passive player in the CC game but holy cow. This can get so complex. Good luck GB.

ETA: Also I can't believe I have ~8k posts here in 12 years. Would have guessed higher.

It's a lot of work and things change fast but it's alot easier once you get in a groove.  

It's a lot of work and things change fast but it's alot easier once you get in a groove.  
Maybe in a few years when I retire. I'll manage my future sole prop liquor importing business and some big time churning while I'm a stay at home dad.

Hit me with a DM if

Could you explain what this would have been for those of us who are uninitiated?  I realize it was months ago and wouldn't be an option anymore, but I'm curious.

Hit me with a DM if

Whats the upside?

Could you explain what this would have been for those of us who are uninitiated?  I realize it was months ago and wouldn't be an option anymore, but I'm curious.

Go look at rebatekey.  Now imagine that at 100x the scale. 

Hit me with a DM if

Man, I missed out on this.  

BTW, on credit cards I have taken to charge all my daily expenses these days to the Coinbase debit card.  4% back in crypto, which is pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread