What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2018 World Cup thread (and Drinking Guide) (1 Viewer)

Agree - although I expected more out of Alli. 
I did too.  Some one mentioned earlier that he was not put in a good position but he never seemed to put his stamp on any game.

It is kind of remarkable (and probably indicates the good fortune they had in their match ups) that they made it all the way to extra time in the semi final with Young and Sterling doing their best impressions of Zardes.

Agree - although I expected more out of Alli.  In hindsight maybe it would have been better to pair Henderson and Dier with Trippier and somebody other than Young on the wings and Kane, Alli/Sterling and maybe Loftus-Cheek.  That’s a 3-4-3 but with more midfield control.
Henderson - Dier behind Kane  - Rashford with  GOATFKTaker on one side and Midget TRex Poofter on the other?

Who says no?

They played with ONE natural CM all torrney?

Ali was too deep, more of a #10/SS

Lindy/Young don't belong there

So they had three guys playing center back, hendo in the midfield by himself with wingers/strikes around him. Of course they couldn't get around the pressure when pressed. 
That's the thing with national teams.  High level talent development is a crap shoot; you have to take who's available at the moment and you can't go out and buy a left-back if you need one.  It's ironic that England recently had a glut of CM talent including Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham and Scholes coupled with a relative dearth of wing players.

England needed a more dynamic lineup today against a tired Croatia who excel in midfield. Playing Henderson in the middle at defensive mid stifled any kind of fluidity. As already mentioned, Lingard and Young shouldn't have been in either. 

TAA should have been in the back and him and Trippier play on the outside and push forward when they could. Put Vardy up top with Kane and Sterling (better yet, Rashford over Sterling) and let Croatia deal with that speed making run after run. And put Loftus-Cheek in MF with Dele and let them all link up. Loads of speed and creativity that would have worn out Croatia. Bring in Henderson or Delph later if/when you get a lead. 

Ok, based on WC and club form, who is in the running for Balon d'or? Gotta think if Croatia win it, Modric will be up on that stage. If France, then Griezmann? Courtois have a shot?

England needed a more dynamic lineup today against a tired Croatia who excel in midfield. Playing Henderson in the middle at defensive mid stifled any kind of fluidity. As already mentioned, Lingard and Young shouldn't have been in either. 

TAA should have been in the back and him and Trippier play on the outside and push forward when they could. Put Vardy up top with Kane and Sterling (better yet, Rashford over Sterling) and let Croatia deal with that speed making run after run. And put Loftus-Cheek in MF with Dele and let them all link up. Loads of speed and creativity that would have worn out Croatia. Bring in Henderson or Delph later if/when you get a lead. 
I don't think you can change things that drastically at the late stages of a tournament.  Southgate would have had to laid the groundwork for that approach weeks ago in the run-up.  Tactical tinkering isn't really the style of the manager. He puts his vest on and sends out his best XI.

It's also easier to do at the club level where there's much more time to experiment with different looks.

Ok, based on WC and club form, who is in the running for Balon d'or? Gotta think if Croatia win it, Modric will be up on that stage. If France, then Griezmann? Courtois have a shot?
I can't see Courtois. The waffle that comes to mind for me is KDB (or even Hazard). I don't think anyone rates Courtois as the best keeper in the EPL and you might have quite an argument of whether he is 2 (Ederson and Schmeichel are neck and neck for me). 

Kane maybe. But Modric definitely deserves some love. 

I don't think you can change things that drastically at the late stages of a tournament.  Southgate would have had to laid the groundwork for that approach weeks ago in the run-up.  Tactical tinkering isn't really the style of the manager. He puts his vest on and sends out his best XI.

It's also easier to do at the club level where there's much more time to experiment with different looks.
No doubt. He had a system. They lived and died with it.

Well he needed to do something after the Croatian goal instead of just going like for like.  They were getting overrun by a better tactical setup.  Croatia adjusted by having Perisic start tracking Trippier afterthe first 20-30 minutes and then having Modric and Ratitic make occupying runs into the box in the second half.  England did nothing and ultimately paid the price.

It's a tough year. The Champions League team didn't win their league or their domestic cup. M'Babe has a better shot than Griezmann. He could have the league and the World Cup. And for keepers I think Lloris is better than Courtois. 

It may come down to first half league play. 

Well he needed to do something after the Croatian goal instead of just going like for like.  They were getting overrun by a better tactical setup.  Croatia adjusted by having Perisic start tracking Trippier afterthe first 20-30 minutes and then having Modric and Ratitic make occupying runs into the box in the second half.  England did nothing and ultimately paid the price.
Agree.  National team managers get precious few opportunities to make real in-game tactical changes.  

Subs in friendlies and games against UEFA minnows have altogether different purposes.  

Southgate followed a similar pattern against Colombia but lived to play on. 

Sterling out, Dele up top with Kane and Dier next to Henderson. One change, they win imo
It’s going to be interesting to watch Sterling this season.  He’s used to getting the stick on Merseyside but he’s been a lightning rod for criticism on a national level since the run-up. 

Coincidence that the current and future best US player of all time last name ends with an IC?    I think not......
Scary that he could've chosen to play for Croatia too.   Imagine him on a wing with service from Modric and Rakitic!  Glad there was never a fear of it happening though.

Sterling out, Dele up top with Kane and Dier next to Henderson. One change, they win imo
Close - but Dier next to Henderson is terrible.  Both are strong enough in defense, but weak in creativity.  Southgate's problem was not bringing anyone who could play as a creative CM next to Henderson.

Sterling was an abomination next to Kane.  I don't care how much he runs, or how much pace he has - he never linked up with Kane.  And that left Kane dropping into a #10 role - because they simply don't have anyone who can pass.  So the best #9 gets taken out of his game because Sterling has a bit of pace - and cant do anything with it...

It’s going to be interesting to watch Sterling this season.  He’s used to getting the stick on Merseyside but he’s been a lightning rod for criticism on a national level since the run-up. 
A lot were fairly tough on him, but he did what was asked; to be the creative/making runs forward. That is so not his game as seen by his touches and passing. Hell, he has a weak shot to go with that as well. He needs a lot of talent around him to be creative and he can run onto balls and get tap ins. He just didn't fit into this role IMO. 

A lot were fairly tough on him, but he did what was asked; to be the creative/making runs forward. That is so not his game as seen by his touches and passing. Hell, he has a weak shot to go with that as well. He needs a lot of talent around him to be creative and he can run onto balls and get tap ins. He just didn't fit into this role IMO. 
Rashford would have filled in Sterling's spot much better. 

Close - but Dier next to Henderson is terrible.  Both are strong enough in defense, but weak in creativity.  Southgate's problem was not bringing anyone who could play as a creative CM next to Henderson.
Fair, but I think Henderson has some sneaky creativity when he's allowed to play further forward. He's excellent on first touch distribution and has put in some great killer balls when given the chance. He's not going to light anything on fire, but he could sit just ahead of Dier and make a good partnership imo 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair, but I think Henderson has some sneaky creativity when he's allowed to play further forward. He's excellent on first touch distribution and has put in some great killer balls when given the chance. He's not going to light anything on fire, but he could sit just ahead of Dier and make a good partnership imo 
I actually think Henderson is fine.  Their real problem though was Croatia’s outside offensive guys (Perisic and Rebic) were simply better than England’s wingbacks and worked hard enough to neutralize England’s numbers advantage on either side.  Once Perisic started tracking Trippier and they gave help to Manduzic in occupying the 3 CBs, they could then overrun them by switching the ball and then crossing into the middle.  

More than Henderson being the problem, Trippier and Young simply aren’t good enough to stop that action on defense which forced Dele and Lingard to chase and isolated Kane/Sterling.

Scary that he could've chosen to play for Croatia too.   Imagine him on a wing with service from Modric and Rakitic!  Glad there was never a fear of it happening though.
you almost wonder if even for a nano second he wonders "what if"?

I don't know if he would have started but I think at worst he would have been first sub off bench when trailing.

Croatia has played three straight 120 minute games.

Which means they have played 1 entire game more than France and are getting a days less rest.

They played with ONE natural CM all torrney?

Ali was too deep, more of a #10/SS

Lindy/Young don't belong there

So they had three guys playing center back, hendo in the midfield by himself with wingers/strikes around him. Of course they couldn't get around the pressure when pressed. 
Ox would have been huge

Sterling was an abomination next to Kane.  I don't care how much he runs, or how much pace he has - he never linked up with Kane.  And that left Kane dropping into a #10 role - because they simply don't have anyone who can pass.  So the best #9 gets taken out of his game because Sterling has a bit of pace - and cant do anything with it...
Lallana and Ox have been the players Southgate had been using as the creative midfielders.  If you recall, Lallana was extremely hot and one of Englands best players in spring of 17 until injuries hit.  

I agree with you that Dier and Hendo together are terrible and I thought Hendo did his job perfectly this year.  Not the job of the 6 to be the spark.

I totally disagree regarding Sterling.  His pace was absolutely the only thing England had.  Once he was subbed off they were even worse.  Kane was dreadful over the past few games. It’s not a knock on him, we know he’s great. But he looks exhausted and Alli does as well.  

The team was horrible on offense, aside from one game.  Penalties and set pieces were the only weapon.  A disaster at open play goals. 

Bottom line is England made the most of an easy draw with solid defense and a boring gameplan and lucked out to get to semis.

Next goal should be winning Euros.

I think the defense for the Euros is set.  The next step is fixing that midfield.  Perhaps RLC will be ready to start.  Maybe Ox will gain consistency.  Second step is hoping Sterling gains confidence over next two seasons.  As bad as he is at finishing, he has something no other player has.

Side note: Why does England love Rashford and hate Sterling?  Sterling scored 20+ goals last season.  He’s a stud.  Rashford is talked about as if he’s a future superstar yet his stats don’t excite anyone.  Very odd.

I actually think Henderson is fine.  Their real problem though was Croatia’s outside offensive guys (Perisic and Rebic) were simply better than England’s wingbacks and worked hard enough to neutralize England’s numbers advantage on either side.  Once Perisic started tracking Trippier and they gave help to Manduzic in occupying the 3 CBs, they could then overrun them by switching the ball and then crossing into the middle.  

More than Henderson being the problem, Trippier and Young simply aren’t good enough to stop that action on defense which forced Dele and Lingard to chase and isolated Kane/Sterling.
I had a lot of the same thoughts.  England was better in the first half, but Croatia got comfortable and pinned them back in the second half.  A switch from the 3 CB approach could have helped them perhaps.

Lallana and Ox have been the players Southgate had been using as the creative midfielders.  If you recall, Lallana was extremely hot and one of Englands best players in spring of 17 until injuries hit.  

Side note: Why does England love Rashford and hate Sterling?  Sterling scored 20+ goals last season.  He’s a stud.  Rashford is talked about as if he’s a future superstar yet his stats don’t excite anyone.  Very odd.
Rashford plays for Man U. Sterling played for Liverpool. That basically answers the question at the end. Playing for City normally doesn't get you hype either. London or United are your choices for the press.

Sterling is a speed demon with no brain. He scored a lot of goals at City in the first half and then was shut down. Andy Robertson crushed him v Liverpool. Andy is good, but not in a WC team. Presume the fullbacks in the semis are close to world class in general.

Kane isn't world class. Delle Alli could be, but won't become wc because of his attitude. Kane will set some records though. He scores a lot of PK's and can roast lower teams.

I could have at least scored a few at City last season.

I don't see Rashford being any better than Sterling in the long run.

And where does the Croatian keeper play at currently and wages? Liverpool could and have done worse. The guy is going to be getting some $$ either way.

And where does the Croatian keeper play at currently and wages? Liverpool could and have done worse. The guy is going to be getting some $$ either way.
plays for Monaco.  Wages look to be 60k euro per week. Liverpool were linked to him last summer but he signed a new deal at Monaco through the 2020 season.  He is 33 years old now and will turn 34 early in the new season.

Did you guys see this video of what happened after Croatia scored?   

https://streamja.com/A5jr

https://i.imgur.com/oy0eBzI.gifv
looks like this caused a huge controversy on reddit where English mods were made to look like tools.

The mods allowed a huge thread of English fans to crap all over Panama for doing this exact same thing but when these clips were posted today, the English mods immediately deleted them and perma ban the posters.

I am so glad the English fans on here are generally cool because on the rest of the internet they are toxic at best.   

England scored three goals from open play in 600 minutes.  The other nine were from set pieces or penalties.
goals are goals, but this type of "scoring" is unsustainable to win a tourney, unless you're the 80s/90s Italy team - which neither england nor any other team on earth is, or will be again.

for all the JO'ing there was for Kane (and he IS a very good striker) 3 penalties and a deflected goal.... Not very inspiring. 

Timo Werner destoryed his stock the most this tourney. an absolute FLOP, and his touted price is around 80m. He looked like a lost schoolgirl out there for Germany

Hup Perisic! Hup Inter!

I don't know how an exhausted, thin benched Croatia team won that game last night but it somehow managed to be a good one despite both teams dragging butt pitifully through extra time. But I can't see Croatia winning Sunday because Modric and Rakitic won't be up against Henderson and Lingard this time. That will be Kante back there and that man never seems to tire.

roadkillovic

Hup Perisic! Hup Inter!

I don't know how an exhausted, thin benched Croatia team won that game last night but it somehow managed to be a good one despite both teams dragging butt pitifully through extra time. But I can't see Croatia winning Sunday because Modric and Rakitic won't be up against Henderson and Lingard this time. That will be Kante back there and that man never seems to tire.

roadkillovic
Inter have had at least one player in every WC Final since 1982.

Rashford plays for Man U. Sterling played for Liverpool. That basically answers the question at the end. Playing for City normally doesn't get you hype either. London or United are your choices for the press.

Sterling is a speed demon with no brain. He scored a lot of goals at City in the first half and then was shut down. Andy Robertson crushed him v Liverpool. Andy is good, but not in a WC team. Presume the fullbacks in the semis are close to world class in general.

Kane isn't world class. Delle Alli could be, but won't become wc because of his attitude. Kane will set some records though. He scores a lot of PK's and can roast lower teams.

I could have at least scored a few at City last season.

I don't see Rashford being any better than Sterling in the long run.
Andy Rob will never be in the semis of the World Cup but I’d take him over every fullback that was in the semis.

Sterling is a bit of a track star I agree.  The Mahrez signing might be the beginning of the end of the road for him at City.

England scored three goals from open play in 600 minutes.  The other nine were from set pieces or penalties.
Right.  England still a very young team, but not being able to score is obviously a pretty major issue.

You would think with the likes of Alli and Sterling they would have had more chances, but neither of them played all that great.  And if you looked at the team you would think Ashley Young was the obvious weak link, but him and Trippier were terrific.  

I really do think the issue is Southgate found a team that won and stuck with it, unwilling to mix lineups up against different opponents.  All second guessing, of course, but I would not have played Henderson as much.  Kyle Walker was feeble.  Loftus Cheek barely given much opportunity to play.  Rashford too. 

Stones and Maguire were terrific in my eyes.  You look at the ages of this team and England obviously a team on the rise - I'd say the Euros and WC 2022 will really be their time to shine, but can't really complain much with a semi-final bow out in this year's WC.  

Right.  England still a very young team, but not being able to score is obviously a pretty major issue.

You would think with the likes of Alli and Sterling they would have had more chances, but neither of them played all that great.  And if you looked at the team you would think Ashley Young was the obvious weak link, but him and Trippier were terrific.  

I really do think the issue is Southgate found a team that won and stuck with it, unwilling to mix lineups up against different opponents.  All second guessing, of course, but I would not have played Henderson as much.  Kyle Walker was feeble.  Loftus Cheek barely given much opportunity to play.  Rashford too. 

Stones and Maguire were terrific in my eyes.  You look at the ages of this team and England obviously a team on the rise - I'd say the Euros and WC 2022 will really be their time to shine, but can't really complain much with a semi-final bow out in this year's WC.  

Your revolution is over, England. Condolences. The bums lost... the bums will always lose. Do you hear me, England?

Seriously though... take the England chat to the ***Official*** UEFA Nations League thread.  It's done, get over it. 

ETA: Hippies.

I will say that I also think Stones played really well and much better than what we usually see from him at City. He made some key challenges and in general was just plain rock solid back there.

Users who are viewing this thread