Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

***Official*** 2018 World Cup thread (and Drinking Guide)

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I am 50% Croatian, so it's been fun watching this run in the World Cup. I went to grade school in downtown KCK that was settled by Croatian immigrants years ago. They worked in the factories aroun

The England team visited an orphanage in Russia yesterday.  "Its heartbreaking to see those poor faces with no hope" said Vladimir, aged 6.

This time 4 years ago I had a friend telling me I should really devote some time to soccer for the WC, since the NFL is entering it's dead period.  I figured, what the heck? In the midst of watch

1 hour ago, Kafka said:

Inter have had at least one player in every WC Final since 1982.

An interesting exercise.  Looks like Bayern is the same, it helps that Germany was in five of them.

It is interesting to note how the further back you go, the more the squads are made of players from the league of the nation ... of course the rules have changed. 

2 hours ago, roadkill1292 said:

Hup Perisic! Hup Inter!

I don't know how an exhausted, thin benched Croatia team won that game last night but it somehow managed to be a good one despite both teams dragging butt pitifully through extra time. But I can't see Croatia winning Sunday because Modric and Rakitic won't be up against Henderson and Lingard this time. That will be Kante back there and that man never seems to tire.

roadkillovic

Perisic has had a great tournament.  Brozovic was massive yesterday too.  Lot's of great performances from unheralded players in this Croation side.

The midfield battle will be interesting.  

Edited by Slapdash
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Perisic has had a great tournament.  Brozovic was massive yesterday too.  Lot's of great performances from unheralded players in this Croation side.

The midfield battle will be interesting.  

Brozovic is amusing to me because of the Soton-Inter NIT games a couple of years ago, where I think he scored in one game and got red carded in the other. Also, he is the spitting image facially of one of my IRL GBs.

8 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Did you guys see this video of what happened after Croatia scored?   

https://streamja.com/A5jr

https://i.imgur.com/oy0eBzI.gifv

Sadly Rashford would have been called for offside on this.  He plays to Lingard who plays it forward.  Rashford is in the attacking half and only the Croatian Keeper is there.  Ooops

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Sadly Rashford would have been called for offside on this.  He plays to Lingard who plays it forward.  Rashford is in the attacking half and only the Croatian Keeper is there.  Ooops

:lmao: 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, B Maverick said:

Allowed goal followed by VAR reversal for offside would have been perfect.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Allowed goal followed by VAR reversal for offside would have been perfect.

allow me to show you the general reaction in England to the entire play, both for and against, if this actually played out this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVuf2ZdWru4

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 2

Slow afternoon at work and I'm a :nerd:  so I looked up is currently the second smallest country to play in a World Cup final.  Somebody may want to check my work but I think it was Sweden which had a population of 7.3M in 1958.  Hungary is next at around 9M during both of their WC final appearances in 1938 and 1954.

If you really want to be pedantic, Croatia will be the third smallest country behind both of Uruguay's two finalists.

3 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Slow afternoon at work and I'm a :nerd:  so I looked up is currently the second smallest country to play in a World Cup final.  Somebody may want to check my work but I think it was Sweden which had a population of 7.3M in 1958.  Hungary is next at around 9M during both of their WC final appearances in 1938 and 1954.

If you really want to be pedantic, Croatia will be the third smallest country behind both of Uruguay's two finalists.

Well, in what way of counting is 7.3 smaller than 4.2?

Edited by msommer

Testing results have been published (take with a mountain of salt obviously)

================

The breakdown of test figures in the lead-up to and during the World Cup is as follows:

Since January 2018, a total of 2,037 tests have been conducted by FIFA, NADOs and confederations

This produced 3,985 samples (1,928 urine, 1,031 whole blood, 1,026 serum)

2,761 samples were collected directly by FIFA in unannounced controls prior to the competition and 626 during it (including 108 collected on non-matchdays)

On average, every player from the four remaining teams has been tested 4.41 times since January, with some of them tested eight times

Adverse analytical findings: 1 (the player was in possession of a therapeutic use exemption for the substance detected)

Atypical findings* that were not determined as adverse analytical findings: 3

Therapeutic use exemptions: 2

37 minutes ago, msommer said:

Well, in what way of counting is 7.3 smaller than 4.2?

1. Uruguay 1930  1.8M
  2. Uruguay 1950  2.2M
  3. Croatia 2018  4.2M
  4. Sweden 1958 7.3M
26 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Testing results have been published (take with a mountain of salt obviously)

================

The breakdown of test figures in the lead-up to and during the World Cup is as follows:

Since January 2018, a total of 2,037 tests have been conducted by FIFA, NADOs and confederations

This produced 3,985 samples (1,928 urine, 1,031 whole blood, 1,026 serum)

2,761 samples were collected directly by FIFA in unannounced controls prior to the competition and 626 during it (including 108 collected on non-matchdays)

On average, every player from the four remaining teams has been tested 4.41 times since January, with some of them tested eight times

Adverse analytical findings: 1 (the player was in possession of a therapeutic use exemption for the substance detected)

Atypical findings* that were not determined as adverse analytical findings: 3

Therapeutic use exemptions: 2

Salt is the opposite of a diuretic

On 7/12/2018 at 0:54 AM, NewlyRetired said:

plays for Monaco.  Wages look to be 60k euro per week. Liverpool were linked to him last summer but he signed a new deal at Monaco through the 2020 season.  He is 33 years old now and will turn 34 early in the new season.

Thanks for that. Too old/expensive for the Liverpool movement.

It looks like Karius again at this point. Maybe Mignolet wins the job back. Supposedely Ward is getting the chance to prove himself, too.

I need to watch some French soccer, but I just can't bring myself to do it...

3 hours ago, Cold Dead Hands said:

1930 world population was 2 billion. 1950 world population was 2.5 billion.

These numbers can be very misleading. Can we get a full breakdown of males and their percentage of the world population?  

1 minute ago, Ned said:

These numbers can be very misleading. Can we get a full breakdown of males and their percentage of the world population?  

Around here, not anymore.  It's not allowed.

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

Around here, not anymore.  It's not allowed.

:no: this is for science. We need to get to the bottom of just how incredible this golden shower is for Croatia. 

2 hours ago, Ned said:

:no: this is for science. We need to get to the bottom of just how incredible this golden shower is for Croatia. 

The best golden showers do happen in Moscow, allegedly....

• Like 1

The hell this is going to play with league schedules all over the planet is going to be such a nightmare especially if you factor each international team is going to want/need 3 weeks of training before the tournament starts.

I wonder if MLS is going to try and have a shortened season to get every thing done by the end of October.... 

====================================

FourFourTwo  ⚽️‏Verified account @FourFourTwo

BREAKING: FIFA have announced that the 2022 World Cup in Qatar will take place between November 21st and December 18th.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I forgot to mention. 

Seeing as they want more time for the suit cases to be delivered, FIFA also said today that a 48 team WC in 2022 is still a possibility and that they will vote on it later.

The NAFTA proposal for WC 2026 divides the games between 16 cities.  This is an increase of four over Russia.

Qatar won the bid with only one existing stadium that met WC attendance requirements and even that one is going to be expanded for the tournament.  Constructing 11 new venues is pretty ridiculous but 15 is just insane for a country of 2.5 million.

Just now, berndog said:

Anyone have a good link or site to check out for preview, tactical analysis of the final?

The Frenchies will surrender.

56 minutes ago, Eephus said:

The NAFTA proposal for WC 2026 divides the games between 16 cities.  This is an increase of four over Russia.

Qatar won the bid with only one existing stadium that met WC attendance requirements and even that one is going to be expanded for the tournament.  Constructing 11 new venues is pretty ridiculous but 15 is just insane for a country of 2.5 million.

Maybe that's the opening they need to pull it from Qatar. Vote to move to 48. Qatar can't handle it. Pull it from Qatar. 

1 minute ago, Sebowski said:

Maybe that's the opening they need to pull it from Qatar. Vote to move to 48. Qatar can't handle it. Pull it from Qatar. 

It's coming home

• Like 2