What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The PSF Thanksgiving Table - Say something nice or don't say nuttin' at all (1 Viewer)

Koya

Footballguy
Fellow Political Sub Forumers,

A happy thanksgiving to those of ALL political leanings this weekend - may you have a fun, safe, relatively drama free day surrounded by friends and family.

Or better yet, bourbon.  Always, bourbon.  Rye is acceptable.

Seriously, a good and safe one - and good luck with the tableside political banter. Should be entertaining this year!

:goodposting:

Make sure you hug your loved ones and let them know what they mean to you.  Enjoy the company of your friends and family.  I'll be spending this holiday season away from home with my second family eating an "ok" thanksgiving meal in the chow hall. 

This place can get pretty testy some days, but I always appreciate the opposing view points on issues.  I generally think we all want what is best for this country, but have different ideas on how to accomplish it.

Enjoy the family, food and games.  Most importantly, stay safe.  Cheers. 

Just nod and say something like, “well that’s one way to look at it” or “interesting”.

Leave the arguing for the politics thread :lol:  

:goodposting:

Make sure you hug your loved ones and let them know what they mean to you.  Enjoy the company of your friends and family.  I'll be spending this holiday season away from home with my second family eating an "ok" thanksgiving meal in the chow hall

This place can get pretty testy some days, but I always appreciate the opposing view points on issues.  I generally think we all want what is best for this country, but have different ideas on how to accomplish it.

Enjoy the family, food and games.  Most importantly, stay safe.  Cheers. 
Thank you for serving, so we can enjoy being served here at home (again, hopefully whisky).  :hifive:  

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

I'll be spending the entire day serving alcoholic drinks at our local VFW social club. We'll also be serving a turkey dinner for anyone who doesn't have family to spend the day with.

Don't misunderstand please. Its part of my job. I'm the manager (and bartender) of the club. I'm working the whole day so my employees can spend the day with their families and so that our club stays open to serve local veterans that have nobody else to spend the day with.

Please remember the lonely and homeless this Thanksgiving holiday.

PEACE TO ALL!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll be spending the entire day serving alcoholic drinks at our local VFW social club. We'll also be serving a turkey dinner for anyone who doesn't have family to spend the day with.

Don't misunderstand please. Its part of my job. I'm the manager (and bartender) of the club. I'm working the whole day so my employees can spend the day with their families and so that our club stays open to serve local veterans that have nobody else to spend the day with.

PEACE TO ALL!!!
Good on you man.  The world needs way more people who put others before themselves.

Thanks for being one of them.   :thumbup:

I’m really grateful this year. My wife is about to celebrate her first full year of sobriety- in AA that’s known as your birthday. It’s been a hard year for all of us, but a good year. 

I have met several people in AA, through my wife, who will be spending Thanksgiving with friends or alone, because their families will no longer speak to them. Perhaps this is not undeserved; when they were alcoholics or drug addicts, they no doubt behaved horribly towards their children and/or parents, betrayed their trust, etc. But I can’t help feeling sorry for these folks and grateful that my own family is together and healthy. 

Much love to everybody here and enjoy your Thanksgiving. 

Today I am thankful for the Constitution of the United States Of America.  For the wisdom of a bunch of ne’er do well tax dodgers to create checks and balances.  For the Amendments solidifying and, in some cases, creating out of whole cloth rights for the citizens of this country.  I am thankful for consensus, and for dissent.  For bipartisanship (if anyone remembers what that means from long ago) and for partisan lines in the sand. 

I am thankful for the most audacious experiment in government the world had ever seen.  

And I am thankful that despite over 200 years of experimenting, we haven’t blown each other up.  Yet. 

I am thankful for those I disagree with, for the intelligent among them challenge me to truly consider my position, and the foolish among them force me to understand my position so well I could explain it to a fourth grader. 

And on the other hand, the intelligent among them help guide me out of incorrect positions with logic, while the fools stand steadfast all the while with no reason to think I will change my line of thinking, until I eventually work out that, yes, I’m the one being an idiot.

I am especially thankful this year, in this political landscape, for those who oppose but realize that “we are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”

Happy Thanksgiving. 

I’m really grateful this year. My wife is about to celebrate her first full year of sobriety- in AA that’s known as your birthday. It’s been a hard year for all of us, but a good year. 

I have met several people in AA, through my wife, who will be spending Thanksgiving with friends or alone, because their families will no longer speak to them. Perhaps this is not undeserved; when they were alcoholics or drug addicts, they no doubt behaved horribly towards their children and/or parents, betrayed their trust, etc. But I can’t help feeling sorry for these folks and grateful that my own family is together and healthy. 

Much love to everybody here and enjoy your Thanksgiving. 
Invite them over for your wife’s birthday.  You won’t regret it. 

:yes:

David Frum‏ @davidfrum 5h5 hours ago

Happy Thanksgiving Day. Among other things, I’m thankful for Twitter.

Despite the platform’s many faults, it has helped me understand my world better.

Ruffrodys05 said:

PEACE TO ALL!!!
Just because it's your job doesn't mean we shouldn't be thankful, especially as it allows your staff to have a day with their friends and family. Thank you and thank those you will serve who have served!

Since my wife and I have lost both sets of our parents recently and the rest of our families are out of state I am thankful that our daughters are with us.  We went out with them last night and just attended the parade and now are heading to the Lions game at Ford Field. They are such fun kids that love watch sports and to drink beer with their dad... there is nobody I would rather hang out with. 

Then back to our home for dinner and their boyfriends will come over and ruin it!!  Just kidding..I actually really like both of them.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Just because it's your job doesn't mean we shouldn't be thankful, especially as it allows your staff to have a day with their friends and family. Thank you and thank those you will serve who have served!
Been here since 8:30 am eastern, opened at 9, full house since opening. I'm happy and proud to be here today. Everyone is happy we are open. I am blessed to be able to help folks be happy today.

Mystery Achiever said:
Since we talk polls here, 58% of Americans are dreading talking politics this Thanksgiving. (NPR Poll)
But if you choose to engage engage, here is a special Thanksgiving cheat sheet from Politifact.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/nov/21/how-avoid-political-food-fight-thanksgiving/

Have a great holiday!
May not be the best year for our tradition of going around the table and everyone having to say “climate change is real” before they can get any pie.

I too am thankful for this forum.

....even though when I discuss politics in the real world and someone says, “where did you hear that?”, I have to say “on my fantasy football website!”

Many of you have helped me formulate the thoughts I’m not really smart enough to do on my own.

Thanks man...

and Irish Whiskey.

Made a Sazerac last night. If rye itself cannot do the trick, I suggest adding a little absinthe.
Big fan of Sazeracs... had a couple night before last (redonk deal at one of the best cocktail bars in my hood - $5 perfectly made sazeracs during happy hour - how do you beat that?).

And yes, absinthe is something to be thankful for, even if you forget where you are as you are being so

Nice thread idea, @Koya

I'm also thankful for the forum and you all.  As some of you know I work around politics, but I have to maintain an even keel in order to do my job. I often have the events of the day passing across one screen on my desk, with the other screen open to this forum so I can react to it all safely and anonymously. I also hate to talk politics at home or with friends, and this forum helps me leave it all at the office. I get to spend evenings listening to my wife and kids tell me stories about their days in preschool or at the playground or going to games with my buddies, instead of bitterly holding in all this crap or venting to them. Thanks to Joe and David and the mods and especially you all for letting me do that and giving me interesting feedback and insight too. Sorry you get the #### end of the stick from me.

Nice thread idea, @Koya

I'm also thankful for the forum and you all.  As some of you know I work around politics, but I have to maintain an even keel in order to do my job. I often have the events of the day passing across one screen on my desk, with the other screen open to this forum so I can react to it all safely and anonymously. I also hate to talk politics at home or with friends, and this forum helps me leave it all at the office. I get to spend evenings listening to my wife and kids tell me stories about their days in preschool or at the playground or going to games with my buddies, instead of bitterly holding in all this crap or venting to them. Thanks to Joe and David and the mods and especially you all for letting me do that and giving me interesting feedback and insight too. Sorry you get the #### end of the stick from me.
I think you're a good dude and a good commenter, TF. No need to be sorry. Thanks.   :hifive:

:lmao: drummer. 

When did you get back?  
Joe B. gives me a vacation every once in a while. On top of what the mods give me first. Joe B. loves to pile on the pain. I would feel persecuted, if I didn't feel I was causing Joe B. so much pain. I get a bit conflicted over it, to the point of existential. What's weird is: I never to this day play Fantasy Football. 

So why am I still here? 

Because of Joe B. 

I am putting this one on him, because I am tired of he putting FBG on me. 

This post sponsored by: Greg Schiano, because I know Joe B. had something to do with me not being hired

Joe B. gives me a vacation every once in a while. On top of what the mods give me first. Joe B. loves to pile on the pain. I would feel persecuted, if I didn't feel I was causing Joe B. so much pain. I get a bit conflicted over it, to the point of existential. What's weird is: I never to this day play Fantasy Football. 

So why am I still here? 

Because of Joe B. 

I am putting this one on him, because I am tired of he putting FBG on me. 

This post sponsored by: Greg Schiano, because I know Joe B. had something to do with me not being hired
:lmao:  Dude, you are so off your freaking wall. 

Love that wall. Cherish it. Regale it. Poke it with a stick. Since this is the nice thread -- we love you, drummer. Be safe. Be cool.  

I am thankful that my loses, my defeats, my illnesses and challenges, deaths of family and friends, and personal frustrations have not prevented me from being cognizant of all the great things I have in my life, remaining family and friends, relative health, some financial wherewithal, a bit of tolerance still left.

So I had a sort of pre-Thanksgiving preview this weekend. My in-laws are traveling for Turkey Day so we moved up the dinner so we could have that piece here in NO together as a family. (My half will be doing our usual thing en masse Thursday).

Anyway one elderly relative asked what quid pro quo is. She’s a regular Fox watcher and she said basically, ‘They keep saying Trump did quid pro quo - what are they talking about? What does that mean?’ 

Another convo was at the table with an uncle in law who basically went off about taking down the president, it’s a coup all that. It was the sort of planting of the flag that made clear up front, ‘Don’t badmouth the United States of America’. 

So yeah yippee this should be fun this year. I realize it might be tough or nerve rattling. But to echo Koya, nothing is more important than family. Put that first and find common cause in what we love and what we have to be thankful for. Here’s wishing everyone at the table and here a Happy Thanksgiving.

I got a lot of problems with you people...

Sorry, wrong holiday.

I echo the other thoughts...we did a little pre-thanksgiving with my in-laws this past weekend as my older nieces and their significant others could all make it.  We will go back to my mother and father in laws this week to help out with some cooking and house projects as my father in law is undergoing cancer treatment.  Also get to see my nephew who lives there suited up for a State Semi-finals football game (same HS my wife graduated from).

I am thankful for this place and the people here...including the FFA.  I do this in lieu of podcasts and the like.  It's quite remarkable how thoughts and ideas from around the world coalesce in this place.  It's pretty cool to watch.  We are back home for the T-Giving holiday.  I'll be spending it with my wife's family.  They are huge and my family is in NC/SC area.  It's crazy that moving to Florida would get me away from all the political talk.  It still comes up a little bit, but it's mostly among themselves who range from trump supporter, to republican, to democrat to crazy left whacko.  There's representation from all groups and incredibly entertaining to watch pretty much at all times.  As long as I have my family, my beers and my bourbon it's gonna be good :thumbup:  

So I had a sort of pre-Thanksgiving preview this weekend. My in-laws are traveling for Turkey Day so we moved up the dinner so we could have that piece here in NO together as a family. (My half will be doing our usual thing en masse Thursday).

Anyway one elderly relative asked what quid pro quo is. She’s a regular Fox watcher and she said basically, ‘They keep saying Trump did quid pro quo - what are they talking about? What does that mean?’ 

Another convo was at the table with an uncle in law who basically went off about taking down the president, it’s a coup all that. It was the sort of planting of the flag that made clear up front, ‘Don’t badmouth the United States of America’. 

So yeah yippee this should be fun this year. I realize it might be tough or nerve rattling. But to echo Koya, nothing is more important than family. Put that first and find common cause in what we love and what we have to be thankful for. Here’s wishing everyone at the table and here a Happy Thanksgiving.
I have to admit I have learned some new words the last couple of years.  I had never heard of "quid pro quo" before.  Would it be easier just to say "A favor"?  Also never heard "redact" much before.    Edit yes, redact no. 

This year, I am thankful for Timschochet.  Tim showed that I can fundamentally disagree with someone in every way- that someone can be coming from an entirely different frame of reference and still be amicable, still be considerate of other opinions, still maintain a friendly undercurrent even when politics puts us squarely on opposite polarities.  Even though he often agrees with the common consensus view, he is steadfastly independent, thoughtful, and measured- even when I think he's wrong. 

Never given to one tribe or the other, never more interested in contentious argument than finding out what someone thinks and why they think that way.  That's hard to come by these days, and I wish I was a lot better at it.  Thanks Tim!  

Users who are viewing this thread