What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Spotify worth 10 dollars a month? (1 Viewer)

If my wife didn't already have a spotify account that she's paying for, I'd get amazon music.  We have prime so its 2 bucks cheaper and the biggest thing is that you can upload music to their cloud and listen on every device which I find better than having a copy of that music on every device.  

And yes its worth it.   To think about what I waste $100 on throughout the year and instead having all the music I want accessible to me whenever and wherever seems like a great value.
I have prime music and love it as well. The downloading to the cloud though, I don't know if that's true. My phone has way over 1GB of music on my phone and I downloaded it all from the Prime website. I can listen to it on any device though, so it must be in the cloud but my phone is loaded. I giess I just don't udnerstand that part

If you are talking about the "old" old days, no way was it only that for me.  Sure, I'd get a bunch used, but I was spending quite a bit more than that/month on music.  If you are talking about my adult self with kids a few years ago when I signed up for Spotify, then you are correct, I was probably buying a couple CDs a year tops.  

From what I understand the business model works because artists don't get jack for this compared to a huge record deal back in the day and the music companies went in on the cheap to get in on these streaming services, so there's that too.  
This is true. I think my daughter gets like $.08 per song downloaded, if that.

I don't think I'd call it getting ####ed over. It just means they generally have to play live shows to make money. Not to sound like southern sports talk radio caller, but what's the harm in that. Most of us poor schlubs have to keep working to keep making money. We don't get to retire off of 6 months of good work.
You serious Clark?

:loco:

It is interesting we went to basically 100 bucks a year gets you rights to every bit of music on the planet. 

Spotify is great but I have no doubt this model isnt sustainable for them or music. 

I have prime music and love it as well. The downloading to the cloud though, I don't know if that's true. My phone has way over 1GB of music on my phone and I downloaded it all from the Prime website. I can listen to it on any device though, so it must be in the cloud but my phone is loaded. I giess I just don't udnerstand that part
Downloading is when you want to listen offline or when only on 4g where you don't want to incur data charges.  I'm talking about uploading where you have a bootleg concert and you can upload it to their cloud so that you can listen to it on any of your devices (you can of course download it to those other devices as well).   Amazon and google offer that but spotify doesn't b/c they don't have cloud storage. 

Downloading is when you want to listen offline or when only on 4g where you don't want to incur data charges.  I'm talking about uploading where you have a bootleg concert and you can upload it to their cloud so that you can listen to it on any of your devices (you can of course download it to those other devices as well).   Amazon and google offer that but spotify doesn't b/c they don't have cloud storage. 
So if I delete all the stuff on my phone Ill still be able to listen to it?

This is true. I think my daughter gets like $.08 per song downloaded, if that.
That actually sounds high.  Or is she self-distributing?

even so, I think it would be more like .008.  Though frankly, if someone plays it 100 times, that's .80, which is still probably around what you would get from a label for a cd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes just like you're able to listen to everything in amazon's cloud without having to download it.    
Do you know how long it takes to delete songs 1 at a time? I just freed up nearly 2GB, one-song-at-a-time. Because there's no other way

even so, I think it would be more like .008.  Though frankly, if someone plays it 100 times, that's .80, which is still probably around what you would get from a label for a cd.
I think this is correct. My bad

Long Ball Larry said:

Yeah they don't get hardly anything. I have a buddy in one of the bigger country groups and if they don't tour a lot, they don't eat. 

Mr.Pack said:
You serious Clark?

:loco:
I was kidding about the retiring part. But not about the rest. I don't see the problem with artists that want a lucrative career needing to generally have to do it by playing live shows. 

Do the Amazon and Google options have full albums to listen to, or are they more like Pandora?
I pay for prime unlimited, it’s full albums. You can make playlists. You can download locally. It’s just like Spotify. I have yet to search for an album it didn’t have. 

I was kidding about the retiring part. But not about the rest. I don't see the problem with artists that want a lucrative career needing to generally have to do it by playing live shows. 
I see both sides here. On one hand, yes, does making an album like Led Zep 4 or Hotel California entitle you to live in luxury forever? On the other hand, does Zep 4 or Hotel California even get made without the business model of having enough $$ for an entire band to take a year-plus off to sit around and create? 

I was commenting more on the percieved "6 months" of work. Sure they may only tour for those 6 months but they are constantly writing, rehearsing, etc. Way more than 6 months work

What do you think would be a fair compensation? 
No clue, but I know they work their asses off and they should, especially the small artists who don't go on the big tours, be compensated more than $.008 per song.

It's a travesty

No clue, but I know they work their asses off and they should, especially the small artists who don't go on the big tours, be compensated more than $.008 per song.

It's a travesty
But you know it’s a business, yes? 

Lets say it gets doubled. Would that be sufficient? Or are you looking for 10X revenue 

But you know it’s a business, yes? 

Lets say it gets doubled. Would that be sufficient? Or are you looking for 10X revenue 
Guess you think it's fine. That's cool.I don't get why you don't think musicians should be fairly compensated. But I'm not going to try to debate this. You have your view which is cool.

Have a great day

Don’t take it the wrong way. I am honestly interested in a good alternative, but it has to make business sense as well, yes?

lets say you think they should receive 10X more $ per stream (not saying that is your position but trying to keep the conversation going). Who should pay for that additional $?

Don’t take it the wrong way. I am honestly interested in a good alternative, but it has to make business sense as well, yes?

lets say you think they should receive 10X more $ per stream (not saying that is your position but trying to keep the conversation going). Who should pay for that additional $?
From your article: 

While Spotify losses are mounting, it's important to note that Spotify's revenue increased by 52.1 percent
The revenues increased  to $3B. They aren't losing money

You read that article and you don’t think they lost money?  The headline reads: “Spotify's Losses More Than Double To $581M”

It's a travesty
I don't know a thing about the music industry, but I'd guess it's just going to be hard to figure out "fair compensation" in the midst of some very saturated markets. There are a ton of musicians, and a ton of affordable ways for consumers to spend their entertainment dollars. Artists are just going to have to make the best of that reality.

I've basically been out of the music market altogether for almost two decades. The last time I spent my money on any music at all was Eminem's 8-mile album (early aught's, I guess). It was around then that I discovered sports talk radio. I was never a big music spender to begin with, but I was totally out. I never stole music, btw. I wouldn't feel good doing that, and really I just wouldn't go to the effort. Just didn't listen and was perfectly happy not doing so.

Then, about 8 months ago, I spent $79 on Amazon Music for the year. It's great and I have no plans to stop spending that money each year. It's not a ton of money, but the music industry was not getting ever going to get anywhere near that kind of money from me in this day and age. My favorite artist at the moment is probably Brent Cobb. Even at only $0.008 per song, he's made some money from me, and certainly more than he'd have made off of me without the streaming industry (there's a 0% chance that I'd ever have heard of him without it). Certainly, streaming is bringing zero/low spenders in the market and there's value there. I'm not a live music person (don't have the time), but from what I can tell, the market for live shows is booming and I'd think streaming has been a big part of that. 

What I noticed when I went back to listening to music again is that there are just so damn many musicians making good music. Asking people what's good after being out for so long, and the recs are flying everywhere. Maybe they are all barely paying the bills, but for whatever reason, there are still tons of artists that still find it worth their effort to keep making music.

Capitalism sorts this out.  People will pay what they are willing to pay for music.  If people don't value music all that much, they won't pay much; and if artists don't think it's worth doing their work for that amount of money, they'll maybe stop making music.

Is what it is.  :shrug:  

For now, people are still willing to make a living making music; some will make insanely good livings, others modest livings. 

I'm sure Mr. Pack's daughter is a decent musician.  But guess what, there are a million uber talented musicians out there.  It's not all that different from professional sports.  Some guy playing C league ball in Canada just isn't going to make a ton of money. I'm sure he'd kick my butt in one-on-one, the same way Daughter Pack will outdo me in a music competition.  But that doesn't mean she should be making Lebron money.  

The system sorts this all out.  :shrug:

Yes. I now spend exactly $120 a year on music. 

If it's not on spotify, I just don't listen to it. But I don't have to buy any other music now.

Do any of you guys use Amazon's Family Plan? I'm considering it, but I'm curious about some of the details and this "shared payment method" thing.

I really just wanted to get my sister a year of Amazon Music Unlimited for Christmas (and re-up each Christmas if she likes it), but I can't see a way to do that, and it'd be the same price to just get the Family Plan (and of course, have the option to give it to 4 other people).

But you really have to give each person access to use your credit card for Amazon purchases? I do see that it says they need to enter the number for the 1st purchase, so I assume that means you just never give them the number. It says not necessary for digital purchases, so I guess they need to be people you trust enough not to buy a bunch of Prime Video stuff or something.

I don't have kids, so the people I'd put on the Family Plan are siblings, nieces, or friends. It's family, but not the typical people you'd give access to use your credit card. I wouldn't be worried about any of them, except maybe a SIL that I wouldn't want being able to use my CC.

I keep seeing ads for 3 months of Amazon unlimited for .99

standard Amazon music seems to have enough for me already. Can't imagine paying $10 month for some additional songs. 

I keep seeing ads for 3 months of Amazon unlimited for .99

standard Amazon music seems to have enough for me already. Can't imagine paying $10 month for some additional songs. 
I used the standard Prime Music for a while, but kept running into songs that weren't on it. If the regular Prime Music works for you, stick with it, but it's a pretty big difference to me and certainly worth $79/year (or $150 for the family plan). 

I can only assume that he’s confusing revenue and profit.  The article is pretty clear that they are losing money.
Yes. You can have revenue of $10 B a year but you have to look at your expenses to know that that really means.  

Users who are viewing this thread